Tuesday scent of the day 7/15

Mirror Lake at Coggshall Park, Fitchburg, Mass.

What's your fragrance today?

I'm commando right now. Later I'll probably wear Estee Lauder Bronze Goddess Whipped Body Creme again.

Reminder: this Friday, the 18th, will be Sample Grab Bag: pick a fragrance at random from among your untried samples. The following Friday wear something by Hermès OR something by perfumer Jean-Claude Ellena.

And for those of you who like to plan ahead, see Scent of the day ~ Friday community projects 2014, where I'll try to always have the next six or seven weeks mapped out in advance.

Note: image is Mirror Lake at Coggshall Park, Fitchburg, Mass. via Boston Public Library at flickr; some rights reserved.

1. melissa says:

I’m wearing Pacifica Nerola Orange Blossom from the solid — I had skipped scent this morning, but I this one was in my bag for pick-me-ups.

Thank you all for your kind comments about my vet emergency yesterday. We were too late and had to let the cat go, so it was a really rough day, but I read all those sweet comments piled up and really appreciated every one.

• perthgirl says:

Oh I’m so sorry Melissa that’s heartbreaking news. So sorry for your loss

• Lucy says:

I am so very sorry.

Oh dear, I’m so sorry.

• MikasMinion says:

I am so sorry for your loss.

• rose pepper says:

Oh no! I’m sorry, that is so hard :(

• Helle says:

Dear Melissa, I’m so sorry for your loss. That’s a horrible thing to have to go through. Hugs to you.

• melissa says:

Thank you all again.

• austenfan says:

I’m very sorry for you. I’m the very happy owner of an elderly dog, so I can only imagine how awful it is when you have to let such a good friend go.

• CM says:

I’m so sorry to hear this.

• AnnS says:

I am so sorry to hear about your cat. It is a sad loss of your furry friend.

• Laila says:

I’m so very sorry for your loss, and I hope you find comfort in the shared sorrow expressed here. I lost my feline trio in a span of 4 years, the last one just a couple of days after Christmas. They each were just shy of their 20th birthday when they crossed over the Rainbow Bridge. I guess they missed each other too much to stay here and now they’re all romping together in kitty heaven. Hugs to you.

• sweetgrass says:

I’m so sorry for your loss. Hugs

• Dilana says:

I’m sorry to hear that.

• missionista says:

Having gone through this several months ago, you have all my sympathy. Sorry for your loss.

• poodle says:

Oh no! I’m so sorry. It’s an awful thing to go through. I hate losing a pet. It’s the unfortunate price you pay for all the years of joy and companionship they give. So sad.

• Sapphire says:

So sorry to hear about your kitty. It’s always harder with an unexpected loss like yours.

• Parley says:

Oh no! I’m so sorry to hear that, losing a pet is so painful.

• nebbe says:

So sad. I am sorry for your loss. I have been in your position and it is really tough.

2. perthgirl says:

MP&G’s Cuir Fetiche today, because I haven’t worn it in ages.

• Helle says:

Cuir Fetiche is really nice! I have a large sample that I’m kind of hoarding, sometimes it’s just perfect. Do you have a bottle?

• perthgirl says:

I do! The one with the red corset. I got it really cheap but it’s Huge and I doubt I’ll ever finish it. I find it a bit similar to Cuir de Lancome, which I also have, although CdL is softer on the leather.
        But it’s great- I put it on about 10hrs ago and I can still smell that lovely drydown

• Helle says:

Oh, lucky you on the red corset for cheap! :)
          Interesting about CdL being softer on the leather. I love leather but I’ve never tried CdL so that’s good to know.

3. rebeccat94 says:

I’m wearing Vera Wang original today. This one is so lovely! I need to wear it more often. It’s a perfect floral.

• floragal says:

I need to try this as my husband recently smelt it on someone and really liked it.

4. Caroline says:

SOTD is DKNY Cashmere Mist, which I always reach for on sad, rainy days.

5. floragal says:

I’m wearing Dior’s Ambre Nuit. I think I smell just gorgeous (& I hope those sitting next to me on the plane do too ;))

• nebbe says:

I’m wearing OJ Champaca and hoping the same thing! Safe travels :)

• Laila says:

Safe – and happy! – travels.

6. Mary Carol says:

SOTD is Profumum Confetto. Unlike some people, I like sweet smells in the summer. They remind me of picnics, fairs and other get-togethers where sweet food items are served.

• perthgirl says:

I like sweet scents too for summer nights

7. meredifay says:

Prada Infusion d’Iris…sunny, breezy, not too hot here today – hard to be stuck inside…waiting for 5 o’clock….

• rose pepper says:

I am also wearing Infusion d’Iris. It is a great scent for breezy days!

8. scentfromabove says:

My SOTD is Jo Malone’s BlackBerry and Bay. Perfect for a summer day!

• Laurels says:

I love that one! You smell delightful!

9. MikasMinion says:

Dev 4 and Kenzo Flower. Unintentional mix (hadn’t had coffee yet) but it actually works ok.

• AnnS says:

I like to occasionally layer a rose soliflore with Kenzo Flower to add a little something to that powdery base.

• MikasMinion says:

Good idea. I can see it playing nicely with rose and I have lots of options there.

10. relleric says:

SOTD is Colonia Intensa Oud (Acqua di Parma)

11. sterling925 says:

I’m wearing Lys Mediterranee. Good stuff!

• Helle says:

Yup, really good stuff :)

• melissa says:

So good! I ran out of my sample of that one…

• sterling925 says:

I am about to run out, too. I may need a decant to get me through the rest of the summer!

12. Jonas says:

I’m wearing L’Eau de L’Artisan. Just a heads up, Diptyque is on Hautelook today. I ordered a bottle of L’Eau Trois.

• morgana says:

Thanks, Jonas!
      And congratulations on your L’Eau Trois — not only you got a great deal on a special fragrance but you also got the nicer bottle :)

• Jonas says:

No problem. Did you order anything? The selection wasn’t so great compared to the last time Diptyque was on there. I’m still kicking myself for not getting a bottle of Tam Dao then. As for the bottle, I think I must be the only one who likes the new ones better than the old.

• Merlin says:

Nope, I’m with you – give me round over square any day!

• morgana says:

I bought a fragrance last year (and then had it confiscated by my sister), but not this year since those that I like (L’Eau Trois and Tarocco) I already have. So I went with that hydration set — I know, a boring choice …
          If my bottle wasn’t half empty, we could swap our bottles — I am quite sure I would use my L’Eau Trois more often if it wasn’t in that oval bottle ;)

• sweetgrass says:

I was sorely tempted. The prices are pretty good. If Volutes had been there, it would’ve been a no-brainer. I was kind of back and forth between L’Eau Trois or Eau Lente, but as either would be a blind buy, I think I’m going to resist.

13. foxbins says:

SOTD is Lush Breath of God. I go back and forth about this one–sometimes the drydown smells like an antiperspirant I wore a long time ago, other times it’s just wierdly wonderful. Too early to tell which it is today.

• melissa says:

That’s actually one of my favorite things about Lush — seems like a lot of their scents reference classic functional product scents in a way that’s nostalgic, well put together and very natural, not synthetic-smelling. Like the cosmetic powder in Imogen Rose or men’s deodorant vibe in Dirty.

• perthgirl says:

That reminds me- LUSH are having a Christmas in July special so if it’s not sold out Rose Jam shower gel is available for a short time…

14. zara says:

wearing Burberry Brit Summer – a present from the hubby and lovely for this sunny weather (tea and some citruses).
    Also, I’ve fallen in love with Heeley’s Menthe, Fraiche but oh my, is it pricey (120,- euro for a bottle) and the lasting power is low. Can anybody think of a nice ‘replacement’? something minty…and less expensive

• perthgirl says:

I haven’t tried the Heeley but Guerlain AA Herba Fresca, Laura Biagiotti Roma isn’t a ‘fresh’ scent entirely but has spearmint top notes

• CM says:

You might want to check out the Parfums de Nicholai scents – maybe L’Eau Chic. There’s a couple in her line with mint notes, and the fraiche lines are great in the summer.

15. austenfan says:

The original Nina by Nina Ricci. One of my staples.

• OH! MY! WORD! One of the Loveliest scents EVER! Just a KNOCKOUT! Pure Perfume Poetry! C’est Magnifique!

• perthgirl says:

I loved that stuff! Wish I still had some (and that they made it! Grrr) I used to wear it when I was waitressing in my uni years.

• austenfan says:

Not to make you green with envy but I’ve got a large stash which if it keeps will still last me a long time. It is gorgeous. Glad to see it has more fans!

16. Fahrenheit 32 by Dior. Just wanted something Interesting but not too arresting to wear today!

17. AnnS says:

I’m wearing Chanel No 5 eau Premier today b/c again, another meeting….

18. thegoddessrena says:

Milk of Flowers because I love it and sort of forgot that it’s a clinic day. Oh well, at least I will have gotten over 6 hours worth before I have to scrub my wrists

19. Delacey says:

SOTD is Jacomo Silences PdT, from a sample that was part of an amazing package from the last freebie meet. First time wearing it, and love the green! I’m assuming its the vintage, not the reformulation, but don’t know for sure….

• bastet says:

I believe the reformulated version is an EDP and is called “Silences EDP Sublime”. I have the EDT and love it, but I’ve heard the EDP Sublime is also very good (many people even prefer it).

If you are considering a FB, I found my Silences at fragnet recently for a very good price. It looked like the old EDT but I wasn’t absolutely sure which formulation I would get, however since it was so cheap and both versions are well respected I went for it. So glad I did, I love it!

20. bastet says:

I am continuing with my PdN testing – today its Sacrebleu. The sweet spiciness is working well in my air-conditioned office, but I’m not sure how it will do when I go out into the heat this afternoon! I couldn’t resist trying it now, but maybe I’ll save the rest of my sample for cooler weather.

Yesterday I tried the Le Temps d’Un Fete (I think I got that right – I don’t speak French at all). I thought it smelled great, but it didn’t last long on me and the sillage was rather weak. Anyone else have this problem, or is it just me? This is such a highly regarded fragrance, and I’m crazy for green florals, so I really wanted to love it!

• austenfan says:

Le Temps d’une Fête lasts all day on me, but I spray from a bottle. I actually find Odalisque and Weekend a lot greener. Were you thinking of trying those as well?

• bastet says:

I have a sample of Odalisque, but not of Weekend. I’ll try the Odalisque next. Which is your favorite PdN?

• austenfan says:

Sacrebleu for the women’s fragrances and on the men’s/unisex side it is a tie between New York and Nicolaï pour Homme ( now discontinued)

• bastet says:

Thanks for your input. I do have an untried sample of New York! I am so excited to finally be testing this wonderful line.

21. Laila says:

I’m joining Mary Carol in wearing a sweet scent today: La Maison de la Vanille’s Vanille Divine des Tropique. The tropical flowers remind me it’s summer and the sweet vanilla adds warmth to an unusually cool July day. To wear this one on a typical July day would be suffocating but it’s perfect for today!

22. CM says:

Wearing Bvlgari Omnia (original) today. We’re having a training class today and I didn’t want to wear anything overwhelming. This one sits in the background and I get little whisps…. what smells so good? It’s me!

• AnnieA says:

I love the “Why, *I* am smelling so nice!” reaction.

23. AnnieA says:

Wearing Vetiver Pour Elle. Perfect for summer, but not going to be lasting past lunch, sadly.

• Bee says:

:-), you can always re-apply or layer with a tougher vetiver (e.g. vetiver extraordinaire, Malle), in any case one of my favourites in summer, and a better choice than what I did today.

24. Rappleyea says:

Vol de Nuit, and it is cool enough today to wear the extrait. That one is a shape-shifter on me – some days it’s all petitgrain and galbanum, other days it’s powdery iris and yet others it’s jonquil and sandalwood.

• nozknoz says:

You must have some of that polar vortex where you are already! It’s moving in here now, about to sweep away the heat, humidity and thunderstorms for a change. Enjoy the VdN!

25. Bee says:

busy sampling, with Zeta on one wrist, Une Rose on the other, a rather overwhelming mix in summer, I’m feeling a bit queasy

• floragal says:

Recently sampled Zeta too. Nice, but I always come back to lasting power and this one fades in 2 hrs on me.
      I do like the linden note, however.

26. sweetgrass says:

SOTD is Dune. I hadn’t worn it in a while, so decided to pull it out today.

• floragal says:

Love. Really love.
      You smell wonderful!

• sweetgrass says:

Thanks! As do you! :)

27. Dilana says:

Mossy Breaches, a discontinued Tom Ford Privee, purchased at a mall outlet for Estee Luader brands. In the morning, it seemed like someone was waving incense in an upstate New York glen, with a small waterfall over the weathered stone. In midday, the moss actually seemed to almost be cooking in the steamy weather.

28. missionista says:

Wearing LUSH Smell of Weather Turning, and it was wonderful until I had to put on sunblock to go out and walk some dogs. Now I just smell like sunblock. (Not bad, but not nearly as great as the LUSH.)

29. teri says:

“I wonder if it is heretical to believe that when at last my tired
    feet shall tread the Other Shore, a madly welcoming swirl of exultant
    collies—the splendid Sunnybank dogs that have been my chums here—will
    bound forward, circling and barking around me, to lead me Home!”

Albert Payson Terhune

For Melissa. The quote above is specific to dogs, but I know in my heart it’s equally applicable to our beloved cats. No self-respecting cat would bound or bark, of course, but they’d rub the sweet faces against our legs and lead us in procession, tails straight up, forward into eternity, I’m sure.

My very dear friend lost his venerable black lab this past weekend. She was a lovely, kind, gentle, friend to all, asking nothing and giving everything. I offered him the same quote I used above. I find it incredibly comforting and I hope you will, too.

I’m wearing Bob Mackie’s Iridescence today. You could call it Mitsouko for Dummies, in a way. It has that lovely peach and floral blend, but with a vanilla-sandalwood drydown rather than the oakmoss Guerlainade. You have to apply it with a light hand, but on occasion it’s very nice.

• poodle says:

I like that quote. Thanks for sharing.

• Helle says:

What a lovely quote. Thank you for posting it.

30. poodle says:

I went white floral today with Truth or Dare. That stuff has incredible lasting power on me which I love. I’m trying to wear some things that have gotten lost in the cabinet. I’m finding some forgotten favorites.

31. tiffanie says:

This morning I put on a few dabs from a sample of Terracotta, enjoyed it (truly!), then forgot I had it on.

In the afternoon I put on Chanel No. 22. They smell nice together. I like No. 22 much better this way. (I hope that’s not blasphemy.)

Thanks for sharing your SOTD everyone, it is an education for me each time I read through your comments.

32. Sapphire says:

No time for SOTD today. We have had movers packing us since yesterday and they have started loading the truck. However, a good friend (the internist who is graciously taking on many of my patients, many of whom are Medicare) gave me a going away present of Chanel No 5 edp on Sunday! She is really sweet. She is having to start over in practice in Frisco, TX since she moved up to take care of ailing parents, so my leaving gave her practice a boost and my patients are getting someone whom I know and trust. I was overwhelmed with the thoughtfulness of her gift. To make things even better, a nail polish I had ordered on Amazon arrived before we left–OPI Coca Cola Red. It is the perfect red, just the color of a Coke can. I had seen the painted fake nail in Ulta, but they were out. Moving is a real whirlwind, but we can relax soon. Luckily, there is a break in the heat, so my perfumes won’t get too overexposed. They are coming with us in the car so as not to sit in a hot storage facility while we wait 6 weeks for our new house to get built.

33. nozknoz says:

I found I was craving Diorissimo today and put on both EdC and parfum.

I don’t wear Diorissimo very often, but I’ve been thinking about it recently. I’m reading The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami, and an unnamed floral Dior EdC that sounds a lot like Diorissimo makes an appearance at a pivotal point in the story.

34. anngd says:

Second for L’eu Chic. Lovely and fresh, and it lasts.

• anngd says:

Oops, this posted in the wrong place. Seconding CM’s recommendation.

SoTD Azemour. Seemed appropriate for a hot, humid day.

35. Parley says:

Today was guerlain Mitsouko, my oldest and best love, layered with Crabtree and Evelyn iris body lotion. I really like the texture of the lotion though it’s rather a small bottle and I need a whole lot! The scent is nice, floral-woody, but I would say more like violet-wood than iris-wood. The scent lasts long but is not very strong. I liked how it mixed with Mitsouko and brought out some tingly florals with the peach!

36. Elisa says:

Lumiere Noire pour Femme. (I just realized….does this translate as “night light”?)

• Laurels says:

I thought “Black Light,” but I’m an ignorant American monolinguist. Anyone?

Do you like it? Rose is a tricky note for me, so it’s low on my to-try list.

• Connie says:

Laurels is right, Lumiere Noire is Black Light. Nuit means night in French.

• Elisa says:

Yes, you’re both right, of course. Laurels, yes, I do like it, but you have to like patchouli.

37. hajusuuri says:

SOTD = Le Labo Vanille 44

I usually layer this with something else but today, it’s straight-up Vanille 44. I love it!

38. Laurels says:

SOTD is Pinrose Moonlight Gypsy, from one of those wet-wipe samples. Listed notes are cardamom, orange blossom, and sandalwood. I got a good blast of cardamom up top, followed by some sweet woodiness, but not the slightest hint of orange blossom, which was disappointing. It kind of reminds me of a sweeter Bois des Iles, with a cardamom opening.

I’m doing at least a few days of random untried samples. Yesterday, though, I had an allergy shot, so went with the lovely Lorenzo Villoresi Dilmun, which takes some of the sting out of getting no orange blossom from today’s SOTD. If any OB lovers out there haven’t tried it, please do! It’s got a nice, not too sharp petitgrain opening, then some lightly sweet (but not sugary) orange blossom, with a mellow woody base. It’s quiet but not dull, with good longevity for OB. I read a nice review from The Black Narcissus, then found a decant on sale at StC. At the rate it’s going, I may need another one soon. If anyone knows a good source for LV in the US, please share.

• galbanumgal says:

One of the few sites I’ve seen that carries LV is The Perfume Shoppe. Don’t know whether they carry this one, but maybe they could get it for you. Have you tried Orangers en Fleurs? That’s a lovely OB and readily available at N-M.

39. stinker_kit says:

I just could not wait until Friday! The great Angel versus Borneo 1834 experiment has commenced! My Borneo sample has been sitting in my sample box with its beautiful companions whispering to me of patchouli wrapped silk bales traveling in a wood hulled ship. Angel progresses quickly on my skin to the dirty patch phase. We shall see….Borneo on the left side and Angel on the right. Thus far, Angel is far juicier and the Borneo quite dry…..