The Lanvin Murders by Angela M. Sanders ~ book announcement

The Lanvin Murders by Angela M. Sanders, book cover

I can guess what you’re thinking: Angela has finally lost it and has taken a hatchet after the executives at Lanvin who discontinued Scandal. Tempting, but not quite. Instead, I’ve written a mystery novel in which a couture Lanvin coat plays a central role. Here’s the back cover copy:

All Portland, Oregon, vintage clothing store owner Joanna Hayworth wants to do is turn her back on the modern world and retreat into a carefully curated life of satin cocktail gowns, icy martinis, and old movies.

But when Joanna finds a key in a 1930s Lanvin coat cast off by an ex-showgirl, everything changes. The elderly woman turns up dead, and Joanna is pulled into a long-ago drama of back room deals, blackmail, and lost love. She must find a very real — and present day — killer before she becomes his next victim.

The Lanvin Murders is a sort of mash-up of Portlandia and Agatha Christie, with a few dozen vintage dresses tossed in the mix. If you’ve just plowed through The Goldfinch and need a palate cleanser, or if you — like me — enjoy beach reads all year long, I hope you’ll give it a try.

Also, I send out a monthly newsletter filled with the sorts of things the novel's heroine likes. Past newsletters have included old cocktail recipes, dating advice from Zsa Zsa Gabor, profiles of women pulp detective novelists, a drag queen’s makeup tips, and more. You can sign up for the newsletter here.

The Lanvin Murders is $3.99 on Amazon, Kobo, and Barnes & Noble as an e-book. A trade paperback, $12.95, will be available for order in bookstores or online by the beginning of next week.

1. stinker_kit says:

Congratulations! I will definitely be purchasing a paper copy since that is my preferred flavor of reading. Surely a time of mixed emotions— happy and proud to have finished your book and have it go out into the world plus a bit of nervousness about how it will be received.

• Angela says:

It’s like you’ve read my mind! I’m both excited and terrified. Writing fiction is so different than writing magazine articles or blog posts. I’m loving everything I’m learning, though. And I really do adore the cover (thanks, M80 Branding).

2. Janice says:

I bought the Kindle version–can’t wait to start reading it. Congratulations!

• Angela says:

I hope you enjoy it! Feel free to drop me a line, if you want, if you have comments. A follow-up book, Dior or Die, is coming down the pike, and I want to make sure it’s a good one.

3. sayitisntso says:

Sounds like a breezy, fun read…perfect for the summer! Congratulations, Angela! Will order the paperback when it’s available!

• Angela says:

I love a little fluff to read between more serious reads, so that’s what I wrote. I hope you enjoy it!

4. Jill says:

I haven’t posted here in ages, but I caught the announcement about this on Twitter and I’m thrilled you have a book out, Angela! I just signed up for your newsletter. Huge congrats! It sounds really fun.

• Angela says:

Thank you so much! I hope you enjoy the newsletter–I have a great time putting it together.

5. Erin says:

Congratulations! Sounds like a fun read, and a job well done.

• Angela says:

I’m definitely aiming for it to be fun rather than intellectually nutritious, and I hope it succeeds in that, at least.

6. nozknoz says:

Thank you so much for this book, Angela! I finished it in two days would happily have read it in one sitting if it weren’t for work. I really enjoyed it and only wish I’d had the discipline to read more slowly and savor the characters and setting even more. I like that the protagonist isn’t an unrealistic super sleuth, for a change, but rather a real and interesting woman who happens to get caught up in dangerous currents and makes her way through with a little help from her interesting friends, her good character, and wonderful vintage outfits. Portland makes a fascinating setting, too, of course. I’ve never been there, and I enjoyed getting a glimpse of the people and issues.

I’m so glad that future volumes are already scheduled for not too far off!

• Angela says:

Thank you so much! I’m so, so happy that you liked it!

7. Tara says:

Just bought it on Amazon. Can’t wait to read it!

• Angela says:

I’m crossing my fingers that it keeps you engaged! I recommend reading it in a satin dressing gown with a martini at your side, if you can manage it.

8. JolieFleurs says:

Just bought it and cannot wait to read it!

I will absolutely be buying a hardcopy when it is out, and wonder if you’d consider autographed copies?

• Angela says:

I’d love to send an autographed copy! I’m planning on ordering some copies, and I can ship one out to you once I get it. I’ll send you an email tonight. Perfume definitely plays at least a minor role in the book. Maybe I could make some samples to include…

9. Elena says:

Wonderful! I really admire you. As a wanna-be writer (I started working as a reporter right after college, but that was in the early 2000s when all sorts of print journalism was collapsing, and I couldn’t really make it work) I know it takes an incredible amount of drive to get this kind of thing done. I am going to buy the Kindle version!

• Angela says:

I think one of the things that surprised me most about writing light fiction is how hard it is to write something that can be read super easily. I’ve been loving it, though–there’s something tremendous about being able to keep learning and trying something new. I have a great critique group, which really helps, too.

10. AnnS says:

Congrats Angela! I look forward to getting this in my library. I need some light reading so I can’t wait! Cheers!!!!!!!

• Angela says:

Great! Don’t you love libraries? The book’s heroine is a technophobe, and instead of googling things, she calls the library’s reference desk, where they all know her by name.

• AnnS says:

Yes I do love libraries! I’m happy to be on almost 20 years as a library worker. I look forward to seeing the “new” sticker on your book!!! I’ve often tried to figure out how to do programs about sniffing and fragrance at the library, but haven’t got there yet…. I look forward to reading the book anyway b/c I used to crawl around downtown Portland, and loved every minute of it. I even got to live in an old timey apartment on SW Salmon that had an old gated elevator…. I watched them build the fox tower and tear down the St. Francis… My feet were never so happy as to spend hours walking around the city. Lots of wonderful memories. My husband is a native Portlander, so getting into the setting will be a lot of fun.

• Angela says:

That’s fabulous! I can picture your old apartment, too–I used to live in an apartment with one of those elevators. Kids loved them.

I’m not sure what kind of distribution my book will get, but it will be available through the big distributors, so I hope your library does order a copy.

• JolieFleurs says:

I’ll buy two and donate one to our local library.

That’s so generous!

11. Holly says:

Congratulations, Angela! I’ve been waiting for this! I hope you’re proud of yourself and tickled pink. I always enjoy your posts, reviews and the newsletter, so I know I’ll love the book.

• Angela says:

Thank you! I really hope you’ll enjoy it.

12. Aparatchick says:

Hooray! It sounds great, and I’ve already downloaded it. But, if you do decide to do autographed copies, I’d love to know.

13. sweetgrass says:

Congratulations on your book release! It sounds like a lot of fun. I grew up reading Agatha Christie’s books because my grandma was a fan. I’ll be buying a copy. I also just signed up for the newsletter. :)

• Angela says:

My grandma was more of a Barbara Cartland fan, but she adored the TV show “Murder She Wrote.” She always wanted me to write, and I hope she’s in heaven now having tea with Barbara Cartland and smiling down on me.

14. MY TWO FAVORITE THINGS! Murder Mysteries and Fashion! MUST READ! Going to Download NOW! :-D

• Angela says:

I really really hope you enjoy it!

15. debbie says:

I havent made a comment for ages but just had to congratulate you on writing a novel and its my sort of novel too-hope it makes it to Aus!

• Angela says:

Thank you so much! That means a lot to me. The book should be available now as an ebook, and bookstores in Australia will be able to order it, as well.

16. ringthing says:

Ooh, that sounds really good! Congratulations Angela, this is going on my Kindle. Hard to pass up a vintage mystery.!

• Angela says:

Hey, there’s even at least one reference to vintage scarves! (If I remember right, you love a good scarf. If I don’t remember right, I sound like I’m nuts.)

• ringthing says:

Yes, I do love a vintage scarf, especially when it’s scented with vintage perfume :-) Your memory is impressive!

17. Dusan says:

Finally your book sees the light of day! I can’t tell you how much I am looking forward to reading it, Angie. And what a name for the sequel – Dior or Die! :-)
    Congrats, and hope it’s a huge success!

• Dusan says:

Ooops, meant to say “follow-up”, not sequel, although I might be right?

• Angela says:

It’s the same thing, as far as I know.

• hajusuuri says:

Maybe we’ll call it the flanker.

• Angela says:

Oh, now why didn’t I think of that?

• Angela says:

Thank you so much! (I like to say “Dior or Die” in a scary voice. Very effective.)

18. galbanumgal says:

This sounds like a great summer read–will wait for the paperback. You know, I STILL haven’t finished The Goldfinch. Funny, I whipped through her earlier books pretty quickly.

• Angela says:

I have to admit that I became mired in The Goldfinch, too, and haven’t yet found my way out…

19. hajusuuri says:

Congratulation, Angela! I may inaugurate the Kindle App on my iPad mini with your book. I have a Nook and I am feeling lonely! I’ll also buy the paperback because knowing me, I’ll probably want to switch from digital to hardcopy and vice versa.

I am also looking to reacquaint myself with Portland. i have not been there since 2009. I used to go annually to visit my brother and his family (ha! I guess they’re MY family too) but he’s been coming to the East Coast to attend conferences and to visit the ‘rents.

• Angela says:

I hope you like the book! An iPad mini would be ideal, really, for ebook reading. I love reading on my big iPad, but it gets heavy after a while.

20. missionista says:

Congratulations! It sounds great, and I will be downloading it soon.

• Angela says:

I really hope you enjoy it! Please let me know what you think.

21. juicejones says:

Congratulations! What an exciting announcement. I can’t wait to read it. Fabulous cover!

• Angela says:

I love the cover, too! The designer does fabulous work. If you do read the book, I hope it’s super entertaining for you.

22. annemarie says:

Wonderful! I don’t have a Kindle so will buy a hardcopy as soon as I can online. Better for reading in the bath anyway. Sounds like your heroine would do the same. I wish I had some divine bath product from Lanvin to create the right atmosphere. I do have some Miss Dior foaming bath, and good ol’ Youth Dew bath oil of course. This is going to be so fun! Thanks for such a treat!

• Angela says:

My heroine definitely reads in the tub! In fact, the book has two bathtub scenes, come to think of it. A tub of Miss Dior foaming bath sounds like heaven itself…

23. Rappleyea says:

Last weekend (week?) someone commented that your book was out and I immediately downloaded it. It’s next up on my Kindle.

A big congratulations on your achievement.

• Angela says:

Thank you so much, and I really hope you like it. (You’re the one who got me hooked on kindle, by the way. I take mine everywhere these days. Of course, I always plenty of dog-eared paperbacks around, too.)

24. Kartoon says:

Congratulation … sure the story would smell wonderful …
    maybe I can translate the story for you in Chinese … haha …

• Angela says:

The thought of someone reading the novel in China kind of blows my mind! In a good way, of course.

25. Lise says:

Congratulations, Angela! I can`t wait to read your novel!

• Angela says:

I sure hope you enjoy it! I know I had a good time writing it.

26. SophieC says:

This sounds like a fun summer read (or anytime come to think of it). I will download it to my kindle when it decides to talk to my wifi again – which I rather hope is very soon. Really looking forward to it and thank you.

• Angela says:

It’s definitely on the “fun read” side rather than the “serious literature” side. Thank you!

27. bastet says:

Congratulations! I will order the paperback when it becomes available. My sister lives near Portland and I have visited from the East Coast several times (I live in VA) so I am looking forward to learning more about the city. I love light summer reading and your writing, so I’m sure I will enjoy it immensely!

• Angela says:

There’s definitely lots of Portland in the book–the Clinton neighborhood on the east side, some West Hills, Sauvie Island, Mt Tabor, and more.

28. Lavanya says:

Congratulations Angela!!! I read an excerpt a few days back when Robin informally announced its ‘kindle version’ presence on Amazon and enjoyed it.. Can’t wait to read the rest (preferably the paperback version)..*hugs*

• Angela says:

Thank you! I’m so glad you liked the excerpt (isn’t that a great feature?).

29. VeraJayne says:

So excited to read this! I love Lanvin, the fragrances, fashion,
    it’s all good. Love that cover art too. I have a pair of vintage Spring-O-Lator mules once worn by Miss Jayne Mansfield herself. Jayne wore Arpege and My Sin. Again, congrats Angela!

• Angela says:

Oh my gosh! Spring-O-Lators worn by Jayne Mansfield–that’s stupendous! I’m jealous.

• VeraJayne says:

Darling to write a book is THE best ever!

30. VeraJayne says:

Forgot to say, the shoes look just like the cover art.

• Angela says:

They do kind of look like Spring-O-Lators, don’t they? I didn’t make the connection before, but now I totally do.

• VeraJayne says:

Let’s say they are a fab pair of Lanvin mules. Much better!