Peppermint pencils raise GPAs

Peppermint Smencils

A seven-week study by the Wheeling Jesuit University Psychology Department showed as students increased their use of a peppermint scented pencil, their Grade Point Averages also increased.

— Read more at Wheeling Jesuit study reveals hidden GPA power in peppermint-scented pencils. Of course, maybe the students that lost the pencils immediately, or just forgot to have them on hand, were just less motivated than those that remembered to use them? But you might want to buy some peppermint Smencils anyway, and you can do so here (they also sell Smencils in a variety of other scents from Kinda Cola to Cinnamon to Bubblegum).

1. Omega says:

I have always loved scents pencils..lemming on these for sure.

• Omega says:

-scented- that is.

I used to have a link to a place that sold sandalwood pencils, but they seem to have gone out of business, and given how rare sandalwood is now I guess a pencil is a waste of sandalwood…but wish I’d bought some while I could.

• Omega says:

I would have loved to smell those.

2. KateReed says:

Nothing about this is at all surprising or unknown. Among aromatherapists and other environmental awareness sorts, peppermint has long been used as an aid to wake up the mind and enhance concentration. Easiest way to wake up at my desk when things start to drag is to spritz a little blast of one of those little Listerine oral mists. It easily travels far enough back to get caught up by my sinuses, and it’s instant snap to!

Must be why I drink peppermint tea all the time :-)

• KateReed says:

It really is a nice, helpful pick-me up, with no jitters like many of the other aids like guarana, caffiene or mate (reportedly. My friend who gets the jitters from mate also gets the jitters from lavender, so she may just be wierd.)

I (also weird!) get jitters from chamomile.

• Omega says:

Peppermint tea is good stuff!

3. Kelly Red says:

I had magic markers as a kid that were scented. Purple was grape, yellow was lemon, etc. Of course I sat there and just sniffed the open end, I’m sure I got high as a 6 year old! LOL They didn’t make the paper smell and I remember being disappointed in that, so I just sniffed them and used my crayons for actual coloring.

4. Nightingale says:

I think I should get some of these for my daughter who is about to take the SATs. They would be the perfect compliment to the SAT vocab flash cards, study guide and class!

It may be nice to have mint (I’m thinking more spearmint than peppermint) in a fragrance. Any suggestions out there?

5. Nightingale says:

Thanks, Robin!

I can’t wait to try Guerlain’s Herba Fresca. Funny, the SA at Sephora tried to guide me towards it a few weeks ago, but I was so focused on exploring Hermes Eau des Merveilles and Claire de Merveilles (I like both!) that I filed Herba Fresca away for another time. I think another time is here…I really want to check it out.

Thanks also for the link to Erin’s article on mint fragrance – informative and super funny!

• Nightingale says:

I’m clearly multi-tasking poorly, as this should be attached to the above comments. ;-)

It’s been a long time since I smelled a new bottle of Herba Fresca. Hope they haven’t changed it!