Fragrances of the World 2013 by Michael Edwards ~ new perfume book

Fragrances of the World 2013 by Michael Edwards

Michael Edwards has released the latest version of his “fragrance bible”, Fragrances of the World 2013. The reference book lists over 8,500 fragrances grouped by fragrance family, and is used by numerous retailers to help customers find fragrances they might like based on the scent(s) they already know and enjoy.

According to Edwards, "We tracked 1,330 new fragrances in 2012, up from 1,220 in 2011."

This year's edition features photography from Gary Heery in collaboration with florist Saskia Havekes of Grandiflora Sydney. It can be ordered through Fragrances of the World, and there's a 10% discount if you order before the end of January.

(via moodiereport, additional information via fragrancesoftheworld)

1. littlecooling says:

Expensive for a book. Is there any pictures in it?

2. mutzi says:

I wouldn’t mind looking at the book if I saw it someplace; but I find his recommendations based on scents you already like totally bizarre. Of course, these are not quite as bizarre as when he offered the same service at Sephora and all recommendations were geared to what Sephora sold.

Well, the recommendations assume that you’re going to be drawn to fragrances in the same fragrance family & with similar notes. I think that for many “casual” fragrance consumers, that’s the best possible basis for a fragrance recommendation – makes way more sense than what most stores do, which is to recommend the latest thing they’ll get a bonus for selling :-)

• mutzi says:

I guess. I just never thought his suggestions for scents I entered followed any pattern at all and I am convinced he was doing exactly what department stores do when he contributed to Sephora’s site.

Oh, not at all…they were based on fragrance family & notes, but yes, as you said, only from within what Sephora sold.

3. Karin says:

I would love a copy of this book, but guess I’d rather spend $200 on fragrance than on a book!

Ditto — I’d buy it if I found it on eBay at a reasonable price. And actually that’s how I got Perfume Legends, which I do think is indispensable.

• kaos.geo says:

Robin, have you already done a list of “10 books all perfumistas should have” ? I don´t know perfume legends, but you labeling it “indispensable” puts it on my watchlist… ;-)

I haven’t, but Marcello did, you can find links here, at the top:

He includes Perfume Legends. I think the biggest change I would make to his lists are to include books that came later: the Turin/Sanchez book, and Burr’s The Perfect Scent.

An excellent starter book for someone just “figuring out” how the industry works is Cathy Newman’s Perfume: Art & Science of Scent, but I think that one might also be out of print.

4. Bee says:

I actually buy it every second-third year, normally it’s on sale before the new edition comes out. The classifications are interesting, and there are recognizable patterns arising when people list their favourite scents, so it is a good starting point for gradually widening the scents options

5. shellyw says:

I found an old copy in Goodwill of all places. I got it just to look at how they are organized. It was interesting. It would be fun to take a new copy into a store and have actual scents to go with the categories as I read. I think that might cause the local sales lady in Nordstroms to go nuts though.

I used to occasionally see a copy behind the sales counter…wish I could remember which stores.

6. eminere says:

I wouldn’t have chosen that particular picture for the cover. Looks very wallpaper-y.