The damage so far: fourth quarter 2012 buying poll

Donatella!

Time for another damage poll — confess your sins for 2012 so you can start 2013 with a clean slate! Donatella Versace, Our Lady of Scented Overindulgence,1 wants to know what you bought in the 4th quarter (October, November and December) of 2012.

Update: the poll is now closed!

Damage poll results

I made two purchases: Jour d’Hermès ($108) and Aftelier Ancient Resins (strictly speaking, it is a body product, but since I'm wearing it as a perfume I'll include it; $40).

That brings my quarterly expenditure to $148, and my yearly expenditure for 2012 to $350. It's more than I've spent the last couple years (2011: $315; 2010: $180) but better than I did in 2009 ($465).

As always, report your purchases in the comments if you dare! And as always, we don't include samples or gifts, and you can count miniatures, decants and bottle-splits howsoever you like (I usually count them as half bottles). Samples don't generally count at all, even though some of us spend considerable sums obtaining them.

1. Why does Donatella host (against her will, mind you) the damage polls? There is no real reason other than the picture of her perfume collection, which shows that she indulges regularly at the perfume counter. The image, by the way, is originally from Allure magazine and appears here courtesy of Blogdorf Goodman.

1. TheSnailsPajamas says:

Only 2, but a very worthwhile 2: Aedes de Venustas (the rhubarb one) and Jicky EDP.

2. austenfan says:

I bought just one (!!!) bottle this past quarter. I am so proud of myself.
    I finally bought Goutal’s Sables and am very pleased that I did; I love it, and love wearing it.

3. Seqmet says:

I bought 3 bottles in the last quarter – which hopefully means I am slowing down at last – hurrah. They were:
    Ormonde Jayne, Ormonde Woman
    MFK, Absolue Pour le Soir
    Parfum d’Empire, Cuir Ottoman
    I love them all!

I have definitely slowed down — I was *bad* in the first few years.

• lucasai says:

I bought Cuir Ottoman too! Cheers!

4. turbovivi says:

Just One – Hermes Jour d’Hermes.

:-)

• cerise says:

I tried so hard to be good this year and I actually managed right up till the beginning of December when I’m afraid I went a little bit nuts — I actually bought a BIG bottle of TDC’s Bois d’Iris (which is a huge splurge); Trish McEvoy’s Black Rose Oud, Bottega Veneta, and Serge Lutens Fleurs de Citronnier. I am now very chastened and I’m trying to avoid the perfume sites, but I already have my beady little eyes focused on my next Serge creation: probably Vitriol d’Oeillet. And I am waiting for Houbigant Fleurs d’Oranger to arrive at the e-tailers so (hopefully) I can save a few pennies. It is still very expensive, but oh so pretty.

• OperaFan says:

Jealous! I’ve yet to sniff it.

5. Lise says:

Because I am pregnant, and for the last 5 months have had the nose of a perfume sensitive blood hound, I`ve just bought one. And I couldn`t wear it for long, even though I know I`m going to really enjoy it later. It was Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Mandarine Basilic. Reading about perfume and looking at my precious bottles is enough for me, and my VISA card probably loves me for it.

That is a tough time for a perfumista, but yes, your VISA card will enjoy the break, and you’ll have plenty of other opportunities to spend on your little one soon enough!

• Lise says:

Oh, absolutely. My VISA is getting exercised anyway. I look forward to sniff my baby girl in April.

• mals86 says:

Fresh baby is one of the most delightful smells ever.

• Lise says:

Agree :-)

• cerise says:

Eau de Baby Head. There is nothing more delicious!!!

• Daisy says:

awww …first: congrats on the little tiny perfumista coming in April :)
      Second — the smell of EVERYTHING made me as sick as a dog for the entire time so even the one bottle seems lovely to me!
      Before long you will be back to sniffing and wearing perfume and being a mom and life is good! :)

• Lise says:

Thank you, Daisy. You are making me smile here :-)

• Ursula says:

I’m going throug the exact same thing! I’ve been moderate in my purchases (a sale bottle of Lolita Lempicka and Shalimar EDT), but received bottles of Coromandel and Ambre Sultan for Christmas. I’m only two months pregnant, but both (which smelled wonderful to me in early November) are now weirdly distasteful to my pregnant nose.

Guess it’s “fresh” scents for me for the next eight months, alas…

• Lise says:

Congratulations with your pregnancy, Ursula :-) We have a lot to look forward to, so for now we just have to wait for it ;-) Hope you are feeling well and enjoying this precious time.

• Ursula says:

Aw, same to you! I’ve been living rather fecklessly until now, so I have to remind myself that I’m avoiding all the wonderful things in life for something even more wonderful. Good luck with yours!

• Daisy says:

congrats!! another tiny perfumista on the way! …..hmmm I sure hope there’s not something in the water here at NST….

• Ursula says:

… I can only think of one thing in the water that could cause this particular condition in so many perfumistas.

But maybe I’d better keep that to myself. :|

• In contrast I am half-hoping there IS something in the water here. ;)

• Lise says:

Lots of good luck to you ;-)

• lovethescents says:

Such an exciting time! I remember, during my second pregnancy, I couldn’t tolerate a thing, til the beginning of my second trimester. I wanted nothing but citrus scents then. All of a sudden, I was then searching for the perfect Nivea scent, and I found it, in Sinfonia di Note’s Blanc des Cotons. Weird hormones, eh? Happy Labour Day!

• Lise says:

Funny :-) I actually found out that Prada Infusion d’Iris works well for me now. Bliss!

• Ari says:

Mazal tov, Lise and Ursula!

• SmokeyToes says:

Lise, Mazel Tov!
      Mandarine Basilic is one of my favorites from Guerlain’s newer releases. The ivy note is stellar, and on me, it’s quite long-lasting.

6. Bee says:

it was my most extravagant quarter in 2012 too: the cute little lumière noire (MFK) perfume elixir roll ons, Séville à l’aube and tonka impériale

• Daisy says:

all excellent choices! :)

• Bee says:

gald you approve! :-)

• Daisy says:

yes! hahahaa I just knew you’d feel so much better now! ;)

7. megank4 says:

I was pretty good. Bought for myself one bottle of Kenzo Amour Indian Holi, and my husband bought me a small bottle of Chanel #5.

8. songeuse says:

I treated myself to a bottle of Dior Dune for Christmas (which I have loved ever since I tested it), and that was going to be it. Then I ended up finding L’Artisan Tea for Two on ebay, unsprayed 100 ml bottle for about $90. I probably wouldn’t have bought it, except I really like the sample I have, and I know since it’s discontinued now it will only get harder to find.

Great buy on the Tea for 2, congrats!

• Marjorie Rose says:

Very happily own both of those! I did the same with Dune when I sniffed it this summer–got a sample and ran through it in a week and quickly went in search of a bottle. Very happy to have it for the rotation! And enjoy the Tea for Two! I love tea scents, and it is a distinct one.

• farouche says:

I also bought Dune this quarter, a small amount of vintage parfum, just gorgeous!

• Marjorie Rose says:

Oh, I bet it’s lovely as parfum!

9. kizzers says:

Chanel – Gardenia 75ml, with Exclusifs Body Creme
    L’Artisan – Séville à l’Aube 100ml, Thé Pour un Été 50ml, Mens Coffret (Timbuktu, Fou d’Absinthe, Coeur de Vétiver Sacré 15ml each)
    Penhaligons – Amaranthine 50ml (backup bottle), Love Potion #9 50ml, Bluebell 50ml, Discovery set (Gardenia, Ellensia, Artemesia, Lily of the Valley, Malabah 5ml each)
    YSL – Nu 80ml
    Bulgari – Mon Jasmin Noir 25ml jewel
    ELDO – Archives 69 50ml
    Swiss Arabian – Noora perfume oil

I got some amazing swaps at Swapmania too, so it feels like I got way more this quarter.

And, I’ve just ordered a load of samples/decants thanks to the amazing guides posted over at the Posse – but those don’t count yet!

• C.H. says:

Very jealous of both of those Chanel purchases. I wouldn’t ordinarily think of buying fancy body cream but, I really do like that one… and if I want to wear the Gardenia anyway, it does seem like the logical extension :)

10. Furriner says:

OK…… here goes:

L’Artisan Mon Numéro 10 100 ml — with discounts and coupons… actually, only $94
    L’Artisan Fleur de Narcisse 15 ml — received it free with above purchase!
    L’Artisan Séville à l’Aube 100 ml
    L’Artisan Premier Figuier Extrême in that limited edition fig bottle 100 ml
    Parfum d’Empire Musc Tonkin 50 ml
    Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille 50 ml
    Penhaligons Amaranthine 100 ml
    Amouage Tribute 15 ml — was discounted 20 %… so, while terrible, not quite as terrible, I paid for it in the summer, but it was not delivered until November
    Etat Libre d’Orange Fils de Dieu du Riz et des Agrumes 50 ml
    Comme des Garçons Kyoto 50 ml
    Byredo Black Saffron 100 ml — I received this as a present
    Also bought some Christmas presents for others.

That’s a really great list, and sounds like you good some good deals. Jealous of everybody who bought Seville.

• Furriner says:

Except for Kyoto, Musc Tonkin, and Séville à l’Aube, everything was gotten with at least 20% off…. sometimes even better (the Serge was only about $80). I was told I got the last bottle of Séville à l’Aube from the Chicago Barneys. You can still get it online, though.

• Ari says:

Hot damn! How do you like Black Saffron, Furriner? I tried it very quickly at Barney’s and remember it had a beautiful opening.

• Furriner says:

It’s kinda similar to Accord Oud. I’ve only worn it a few times. I find myself liking the raspberry more than I thought I would, surprisingly.

• Marjorie Rose says:

I had a raspberry hand creme in my pre-perfumista life, and while I don’t generally go for fruity, I completely loved it. Somehow the tartness seemed to cut what otherwise can be the too sweet of fruit notes, it seems. And it smelled like raspberries, not “raspberry,” (which is how I feel about, say, strawberry).

• aimiliona says:

I wore Un Bois Vanille on Wednesday (start the year as you mean to continue) and a co-worker told me I smelled beautiful. He likes Douce Amère too, so I’ll have to tell him about the Parfum1 occasional discounts on SL.

11. Ginny M says:

I went to Europe in December. It’s easy to do a lot of damage in London (Liberty, L’Artisan in Covent Garden) and Paris (Printemps, Galleries Lafayette, Serge boutique at Palais Royale). The full bottle damage:

Diptyque: Volutes (EDP)
    Dior: Ambre Nuit (so wearable and office-friendly)
    Lutens: Fumerie Turque (bell jar) (The sample of Santal Majuscule is growing on me.)
    LUSH/Gorilla: Rose Jam (holiday special availability) and a small bottle of Voice of Reason
    L’Artisan: Mon Numero 3 (travel atomizer only)

I was ***thisclose*** to splurging on a FB of Amouage Opus V at Harrod’s. (Robin, I know your lack of love for Oud, but the bloom isn’t off the rose for me. :)

I was happy to find that none of the new, spendy 2012 Ormonde Jaynes were must-haves.

• Ursula says:

Oh, tell me you bought more than just scents at Liberty! I could live there if they would let me.

Oh, I do not dislike oud though! Just think there are too many of them.

Glad to hear that about the Ormonde Jaynes, since I haven’t even tried them yet.

12. 50_Roses says:

PdN Odalisque 30 ml
    PdN Le Temps d’Une Fete 30 ml
    Aesop Marrakech 10 ml parfum roll-on
    Scentings Elizabeth Bennet Luxury Set (perfume silk, perfume oil,and necklace)
    Houbigant Orangers en Fleurs 8 ml decant (only $3 after using the $20 Chance Cash I won in the scavenger hunt)
    Ineke Sample Set
    Aftelier samples
    Annick Goutal Ninfeo Mil 100 ml as a Christmas gift to my husband

I got a lot of other stuff in the Swap Meet and PP’s Swapmania, but I don’t count those as purchases.

• poodle says:

How do you like that Scentings set? I remember seeing the review and thinking it looked really nice.

• 50_Roses says:

I like it. The pendant is well-made,nicely finished, and a good size, about 1″ in diameter, and makes a nice piece of jewelry in its own right. It comes with a nice silver chain, and it has a very large bail so you can easily switch to a different chain if you wish. Perfume placed on a bead in the pendant seems to diffuse more slowly than on skin, so you get a less intense scent, but longer lasting. I have perfume eating skin, so anything that can extend the life of my scent is good for those times I can’t or don’t wish to reapply every few hours. The pendant seems to be available only as part of the set. It would be nice if it could be bought separately.

The scent, IMO, it is not complex enough to really be thought of as a fine perfume. It smells like an aromatherapy essential oil mix, I am a fan of aromatherapy, so this is not really a criticism. There are times when I just don’t want a complex or challenging perfume, just something that smells good. I have worn it when I was feeling tense of stressed, and it seems to help. It makes a nice bedtime scent as well, although I only use the perfume silk at bedtime; I don’t go to be wearing a large pendant (!) Because it uses a removable bead to hold the scent, you can easily use it with any perfume you wish, and you can buy extra beads as well. The necklace will retain traces of the scent for some time, but alcohol or soap and hot water seem to do a good job of removing old scent when you want to change. The packaging, BTW, is exquisite, and the set would make a wonderful gift.

• poodle says:

Thanks! I was really wondering of the pendant was nice. I like the idea of wearing sent like that.

13. Abyss says:

Nothing for me this quarter. I placed an order with OJ but it didn’t work out. I did buy a Diptyque Christmas candle at 20% off and a set of Olfactive Studio samples but, supposedly, these don’t count *phew* :D

It means that my total for the year is unchanged from last quarter. Namely, I got Tubéreuse Criminelle (50ml), Amouage Dia (50ml) Chanel Sycomore (75 ml)
OJ Tiare (4x10ml travel sprays)
Diorella (30ml) for a total of £151. An excellent year, imo, I’m very pleased with my acquisitions.

That really is an excellent year. Jealous of your TC, still.

14. mals86 says:

I wuz baaad. $387, worst quarter of the year.

Donna Karan Black Cashmere, slightly used, 50 ml $62
    Guerlain Metallica decant, 15ml $34
    Vintage Coty Chypre pdt 75ml $125
    1980s Coty Chypre rerelease 50ml, vintage Coty L’Origan edt 15ml, vintage Muse de Coty edt 12.5 ml, Coty Longing 7.5ml $136
    DSH Cafe Noir 4ml (for swap) $23
    Marc Jacobs parfum mini 5ml $7

Oh, but you got really great things! 2 vintages of Chypre, no less, I’m impressed. Which is better?

• mals86 says:

Re the Chypre: the 80s version – which is so often what you get when you see “vintage Chypre” on ebay – is nice, in a vintage Miss Dior parfum sort of way, very powdery and ladylike. I am probably going to divest myself of it and pass it on to a friend who enjoys it. The vintage (I swooooooned over that pristine vintage parfum sample i snagged from StC) is, unfortunately, faint.

• Ari says:

The last thing you need is an unsniffed Silences purchase!

• Daisy says:

You got a fabulous price on that DK Black Cashmere! :)

15. Lys says:

I’m not ready to admit my damage; the migratory pattern of the wild Guerlemming includes a December stopover in my yard.

But I’m liking reading what everyone else got.

• Daisy says:

Interesting natural phenomena, that. ;)

• Rappleyea says:

:-)

hey toots! how ya doin? <3

• Rappleyea says:

Working on year-end payroll taxes! Donatella is SO much more fun. How ’bout you?? Happy to see you here today. <3

• C.H. says:

Ha, but now you’ve piqued my scientific curiosity! For the ornithologists among us, maybe you can just tell us a few of the subspecies spotted?

• Ursula says:

I think I’ve seen one at my bird feeder out back- but only because I douse it in vanilla and musk. :D

• C.H. says:

Sounds like something I need to try immediately! :)

LOL!

16. kaos.geo says:

I only got 1 bottle for me (Terre d’ Hermes Pure Parfume) and 1 for my hubby (Fresh Cannabis Santal).
    The price was about $80 for both things if I am correct.

Thankfully I skipped the high end stores on my October U.S. trip, and sticked to Sephora… This way I was not tempted with niches Hermes, Dyptique or Tom Ford. ;-)

• C.H. says:

Ooh Terre in pure parfum sounds like a really nice treat!

17. thegoddessrena says:

1)Cartier L’Heure Convoitee,2) Soivohle Honeysuckle Bird, 3&4) Ineke Sweet William AND After My Own Heart (bought at wonderful clearance prices on New Years Eve–so much for restraint). Grand Total about $370. Not willing to traumatize myself and add up everything for the year….

Donatella does not require you to total. Seriously doubt she ever does anything like.

18. Daisy says:

I was bad. I was very bad. But this isn’t really news after all these years, is it? Most of my purchases were all or part for splits. I host a lot….too much according to the CEO. We won’t go into upsetting details like cost…..

Etat Libre d’Orange Rossy de Palma (2)
    Chanel Les Exclusifs 1932 (2)
    Atelier Cologne Sout le Toit de Paris
    Arquiste Flor y Canto
    Arquiste Fleur de Louis
    Arquiste Anima Dulcis
    Sarah Horowitz Coconut Milk
    Mona di Orio Vanille (2)
    Guerlain L’Heure de Nuit (Bloo) – (5)
    Guerlain SDV (2)
    Guerlain Oriental Brulant (2)
    Guerlain Sous le Vent (2)
    Guerlain Liu (2)
    Roja dove Innuendo edp
    Ormonde Jayne Travels- Orris Noir, Woman, Man, Tolu, Taif, Osmanthus, Sampaquita
    MFK Amyris
    L’Artisan Seville a l’Aube
    Maria Candida Gentile Sideris
    Carner Barcelona D600

• CM says:

Thank you Queen Enabler and hostess with the mostest!

• Daisy says:

I must have excelled at kindergarten….I am a good sharer. ;)

• CM says:

And you, too, are overflowing with Donatella Points!

• Lys says:

What the what ?!? Surely that (5) is a typo. ;)

• Daisy says:

actually the 5 is not a typo ….I hosted a split with 54 participants. :)
        I just thank the perfume gods that they are not a “spray” bottles.

• poodle says:

54! You must have set a record with that.

• Daisy says:

LOL –sadly, no. I have had as many as 72 participants on a split before…. and there was that time I split , was it 12 or 14, bottles of a new Serge Lutens…… I seriously need counseling….

Oh–one time I split 8 bottles of Chanel LE’s at once….so that’s ,what, 1600 ml of fragrance? yeah…someone knock some sense into me! Please! ;)

• Rappleyea says:

Did you have to register your sprayer finger as a deadly weapon??

• Daisy says:

nah—but I’ll probably need a joint replacement someday! ;)

• Lys says:

I’m glad I asked! I was thinking 5 btls of L’Heure de Nuit was quite a lot for one person! I’m glad you’re not in danger of turning blue yourself.

• Daisy says:

hahahaha nope….very pasty: yes. Bloo: nope I kept most of one Bee for myself. The other four have new homes. :)

• Lys says:

Owning 1 or 2 bottle of L’HdN is entirely appropriate.

• Abyss says:

WAIT! What? There’s a new Les Exclusif out? Please tell more (I’m a LE nut).

• Daisy says:

yessssss….and I love it. It’s a soft, elegant, powdery jasmine/floral composition. I get whiffs of 31RC and soft iris….almost like the love child of 31 Rue Cambon and 28 La Pausa. I think it is supposed to be limited edition but I haven’t seen any information on it and I keep checking the website in hopes it’ll show up ….and that it’ll be part of the regular LE line.

• Abyss says:

Right, I’m calling every Chanel boutique in the country tomorrow!
          Thanks ….I think :D

• 50_Roses says:

These limited distributions drive me nuts! I was just in NM yesterday, and went by the Les Exclusives counter to try out a few more that I hadn’t sniffed yet, and I did not see hide nor hair of such a thing. They had everything else!

• Marjorie Rose says:

And it seems that they are even more limited in distribution than they used to be. They had LE at our big Nordies downtown a few years ago, but they no longer have them. Our Lady doesn’t carry any Chanels at all–Pam said that Chanel charges them the same, whether it’s a big departments store or a boutique and it just wasn’t worth it.

Makes me sad, because I *really* want to explore them more, but they’re making it *work,* which I refuse to let my perfume hobby become!

• Bee says:

whaaat? I have to check this one out!

• Merlin says:

31RC and La Pausa were my favourites and so a new lemming is born. Shame on you for such an enticing description; I’d blame you for leading me into sin if I wasn’t so good at getting there myself!
          A wonderful list, and, given the way you do perfume its more a public service than an indulgence:)

• CM says:

Oh that sounds lovely! It’s on my lemming list :)

• Lys says:

New Year’s resolution to check out the Exclusifs line. Is 1932 uber-rare then, as opposed to kind of rare?

• Daisy says:

I think it has not been released in the USA yet….I heard that it should be sometime in late January or Feb….but who knows what really will happen.

• OperaFan says:

I’ve seen far worse from you, Daisy! AND you DID receive a nice little bottle of Tolu perfume to go with the OJ haul (right?), so not so bad.

• Daisy says:

I did, indeed….I love Tolu and the extrait is faboo! Some of my splittees seem to have disappeared though –so there will be OJ travels in my next orphan sale!

Oh and my extremely well trained CEO gave me Woman extrait for Christmas. I’m happy, and I smell great!

• OperaFan says:

I can “smell” you from here, and you smell FAB!
          Looking forward to that sale.

• Marjorie Rose says:

Oh, I was *so tempted* by that Tolu parfum! I bet it’s lovely!

That was my thought too…you must have done worse, Daisy!

• Daisy says:

I may have left out a few vintage bottles of Caron Narcisse Noir, a vintage propeller bottle of Vol de Nuit and a bottle of Lubin Idole edp…but you know how bad my memory can be…..especially during the damage poll. ;)

(you all are so picky sometimes!)

• Rappleyea says:

Vintage propeller bottle?!? THUD!!

Oh, it’s not us, it’s Donatella!

• Daisy says:

kinda like an exorcism? You must tell all, Donatella compels you!
            y’all are scary.

• nozknoz says:

Saving the best for last – huge congrats, Daisy!

• Ari says:

I was just reading that Sous le Toit de whatever is gorgeous!

• Daisy says:

I haven’t gotten the bottle yet…I was chatting with my buddy Ross at the Ateliers shop in NYC and he talked me into it! Unsniffed! But everyone I know who has tried it ; really likes it.

• Curses!!! I want to try it so badly.

19. OperaFan says:

I was bad this quarter, and if it weren’t for the $100 Gift Certificate received for my Birthday in June, I’d have been even MORE embarrassed.
    Total expense (itemized details below): $441.5

Roja Dove Enslaved 5ml
    Guerlain Cuir Beluga 5ml
    Guerlain Liu 25ml
    Guerlain L’Heure de Nuit 5ml
    DelRae – Mythique 5ml
    Tiffany edp mini

A bright spot is the 4 mini bottles of Mona Di Orio GWP: Vanille, Oud, Rose, and Cuir

• Rappleyea says:

See below, she gloats. ;-)

Well!
        La-di-dah…..
        :b…..

• Rappleyea says:

What key was that sung in?? ;-)

• Daisy says:

the key of “come smell these new fragrances” ….

• OperaFan says:

Well, based on my last church solo, it would have been F Major and ending with a high C…..
            ;)

Is that the parfum of Apercu?? Is it vintage? I did not know they even still made it.

• OperaFan says:

Yes, it is perfume but not (1925) vintage. Although as far as I’m concerned, it might as well be since it is so well-made, and comparatively affordable. I fell in love with the edp in 2000 but couldn’t resist getting the perfume. I believe it’s discontinued due to the oak moss and clove. It makes a great alternative to Sisley’s Eau du Soir at roughly half the price.

Thanks! Will have to investigate, although I still have enough Apercu left to last through my lifetime.

• OperaFan says:

The 2 formats are very similar and results as expected. Both are worth having but if you already have a lot of one, you shouldn’t need much of the other. :)

0.0

I want your collection!

20. CM says:

You know, I don’t think I bought any this quarter! Well, I did get a few decants that immediately went on my FB list: L’Heure dNuit is on top along with Cuir beluga, Amouage Dia Extrait, opardu, oriental Brulant and a few others. I also bought a FB of Azemour, the result of a sample obtained in the NST swap, but I can’t remember if that was last quarter or not.

I did, however, buy 3 diptyque candles ( the med.large size) which sort of counts since its from a perfumer.

Total spent for decants and candles is about $350. Yikes. I didn’t include 3 bottles from the after Xmas L’Artisan sale…next quarter,

• CM says:

I forget about the OJ travelers! Tolu, Frangipani, Champaca…

• Daisy says:

yeah…I was about to say: weren’t you on that OJ travel split? hmm?

• CM says:

Indeed. And they are wonderful!

• Daisy says:

was it stupid to send the clamshell? I like them. :)

• CM says:

You mean the box? Not stupid at all! I like them too. I’m using it!

• Suzy Q says:

Well, you sent me a decant to Azemour this quarter, if that refreshes your memory!

• CM says:

Yes! And, I had a coupon. Plus, since I shared, that must mean I get Donatella points.

• Daisy says:

that brings up an interesting point….what are Donatella points good for?

• Suzy Q says:

LOL. I wish they were good for free perfume!

• Daisy says:

I wish….but looking at Miz Donatella I think the best we can hope for is botox or collagen injections….

• CM says:

I think you can trade them in for future guilt-free perfume purchases. You know, like they never even happened.

• Lys says:

Ooooooh I approve of your decant list. Were they holiday Diptyque candles?

• CM says:

2 were: I purchased Amber from the reg line, and amber Oud (red) and the winter pine (green) from the holiday line. All fantastic! I also ordered a few $8 sale candles from L’Artisan that are still in transit somewhere.

• Lys says:

They do such a good job with the holiday releases.

21. Rappleyea says:

Zero, goose egg, zip, nada! The first quarter since I began participating in these polls that I haven’t spent money. I’m proud of myself, and also proud that I’m proud rather than depressed for not buying! :-D

• CM says:

Good for you! Hope that means you are enjoying your collection even more and not lemming for more…

• Rappleyea says:

I am definitely enjoying my neglected bottles more! Sometimes more isn’t better, only more.

• poodle says:

I want a quarter like yours at least once. A girl can dream.

• Rappleyea says:

But I’ve had sooo many quarters (years worth) of reporting triple digit numbers (in dollars, not bottles!).

• OperaFan says:

Quick – Someone tempt the girl on some splits!
      ;)

oh Rappppple….. ;)

• Rappleyea says:

You know I’ll cave if you split that new Roja Dove! And the two new naturals that Laurie is coming out with are gorgeous so I’ll have to have those as well. Never fear, this is an anomaly, not a pattern!

• Daisy says:

I should probably see if there is any news about Fetish….and of course you know I’m splitting that Vagabond Prince Enchanted Forest as soon as it’s available.

• OperaFan says:

Whew! (Breathes a sigh of relief)
            Thought you’ve been working waaaaaay overtime there.

• bookwyrmsmith says:

Hey Daisy -I want in on that Enchanted Forest split !!!! That stuff is reeeeaaalllyy nice . I got a promotional drawing sample and I like it. Maybe not $185 for 100 ml worth – but a split ! Count me in! Pleeeeaase????
            bookwyrmsmith at live dot com

• Merlin says:

I guess being proud rather than depressed is the key! I’m working on that one…

Excellent!

22. poodle says:

Oh dear, I was much worse than I remember being. I bought
    Esprit d’Oscar
    Bal a Versailles
    Rochas Femme
    Ineke Field Notes from Paris
    Chanel Coco
    Dior Poison
    L’Artisan Seville a l’Aube
    Serge Lutens Fille en Aiguilles
    and the Fragrance sampler from Sephora which I will use the coupon from to get a bottle of Prada Candy. The sampler was cheaper than the bottle plus I had a discount coupon.
    I think I may be forgetting one but that’s bad enough for now although I did get most of these at a discount.

• Rappleyea says:

Great haul! Several of my personal favorites there.

• OperaFan says:

I agree – some excellent choices, which are always redeeming factors when you’ve been otherwise, ummm…. bad.

• CM says:

It’s so easy to forget! You got some lovelies! The sephora samplers are a great deal if you know what you want. Candy is a good choice!

• poodle says:

I was also given one for Christmas so I have another bottle to choose.

• Suzy Q says:

Poodle, that’s how I got my Prada Candy! A swapping pal made the transaction on her end. The 30 ml bottle is cute. I had to watch a YouTube video to figure out how to get the cap off!

• poodle says:

It was a good deal tht way. I’ll probably try and get it this weekend. I just haven’t had time or energy to get to Sephora recently.

• Emily says:

I personally count Femme among the necessities of life. Nothing to apologize for there.

• cerise says:

I concur. I’ve not run out of Femme (in any of its incarnations) since about 1972. It’s in my regular rotation. :)

• moore says:

Rochas Femme intrigues me!!!

• Yay Esprit d’Oscar! So glad you like it.

23. Erin says:

I’m sad that I was too crazed at work to report on the third quarter, as 2012 was my first year of serious interest in perfume and it would have been fun to share my various finds . At any rate, here is how the the fourth quarter shook out for me . . . not terribly upscale/niche-y, but that’s okay.

Purchased:

Kenzo L’Eau Par Kenzo
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    Tokyo Milk Modern Love
    Tokyo Milk Moonflower
    Tokyo Milk Sugar Bomb

I found the three Tokyo Milk sets on clearance in a museum store for almost half the regular price! I haven’t worn them yet, but I’m excited to try or gift them.

I was also gifted Hermes Voyage d’Hermes (mildly disappointing; it smelled like heaven on me when I was on vacation in Puerto Rico, but it looks like I’ll have to wait for summer weather to really enjoy it again) and, perhaps most excitingly, a collection of vintage perfume that my boyfriend found for me at an estate sale. Mostly old Estee Lauder fragrances of questionable quality, but there is a completely full miniature vintage Dioressence that is amazing!

• Erin says:

I forgot that there is also a vintage Caron Nuit De Noel among that lot of perfumes!

• Bee says:

voage works better in summer for me too, so try it again when it gets warmer!

24. Kseni says:

Like Lisa I am pregnant, only my pregnancy is at its very end and my nose is back. And I starved for perfume. I have not bought any during 6 or 7 months, but these last two were mad. I bought 10 bottles, the only excuse I have is that almost all of them looked like a bargain and were from eBay and I wanted to have them forever. So here it goes:
    Eau d’Hadrien by Goutal
    Frangipani by OJ
    Vintage Private Collection 7ml by Estée Lauder
    Sous le Vent current version by Guerlain
    No 5 Eau Premiere
    Dioressence from 1969 edition tiny amount, but soo nice
    vintage Cabichard Gres
    Bronze Goddess by Estée Lauder
    Tuberouse de Nuit by L’Artisan
    La Myrrhe by Serge Lutens
    Actually now, when I look at it like this, I have no excuses, I have to burn my credit card, I see no other option really….

• poodle says:

Don’t do anything drastic. You were just making up for lost time really. You got some great stuff too. Plus you’ll be home with a little one soon enough (congrats!) and won’t have the time or energy to perfume shop, right? So all your purchases are easily justified. It’s like you rewarded yourself with a bottle for each month of your pregnancy and allowed yourself a bonus bottle. Makes sense to me.

• Suzy Q says:

I agree with Poodle!!

• Kseni says:

I also like to think about it as a reward! I hope my baby will be into perfume as well and I will write everything off as her future inheritance ;)

• OperaFan says:

I can provide testimonial on Poodle’s sage advice. After my son was born, shopping became such a luxury activity that I barely have time for it nowadays, and it’s been 6+ years. Enjoy your fab haul. Sous LS Vent at a bargain? Thud!

• Merlin says:

I know myself so well that I have never GOT a credit card…

• Kseni says:

Oh, it is hard to say no when you have one…

25. Squirrely says:

October:
    -A tiny bottle of Tommy Girl I found at TJ Maxx for $6. I saw the 5 star review in The Guide and had to remind myself why I disagreed. Blech.
    -Le Labo for Anthropologie Orange Descrete – Clearance for $14.99, thick, musty citrus in a fun bottle. My husband and I “share” it.

November:
    -Breath of God from Lush – $16 for a fragrance I love and can only wear when my husband is away at a conference. It inspires the worst comments from people (melon, mint, and burning rubber – what’s not to love!?!)

December:
    -My Christmas gift to myself was MFK Lumiere Noire pour Femme, $125. For me, it’s a summer evening scent, so doesn’t feel quite right to wear it now, but I’m obsessed with it.
    Total: $162, perhaps my worst quarter to date, but I’m very cheap, so should serve as no yardstick. (and Santa was very generous with frags at Christmas!)

• Merlin says:

I also don’t get the five stars on Tommy Girl, but then I don’t like Bulgari au the Vert either. Strangely, I Do like L’occitaine’s Vert…

• Squirrely says:

I’m picky about my tea scents too, and don’t like any of the Bulgaris (both the tea notes and their general base don’t work for me). One I do enjoy is Atelier Cologne’s Oolang Infini.

• Merlin says:

That one was a little light on me. PdE’s Osmanthus Interdite though…

Your comment about Breath of God cracked me up :-)

• Merlin says:

The Guide’s description of it as smoked fruit seems spot on to me…weird stuff!

• mals86 says:

Lumiere Noire pf is just gorgeous.

26. odonata9 says:

No full bottles for me, but I did get some decants and a roll-on, for a whopping total of about $55!
    Decants:
    Micallef Note Vanillee
    Lostmarch Lann Ael
    Nuvol de Llimona
    CBIHP 7 Billion Hearts

And I was in Marshall’s and saw a Nicole (Nicole Richie) roll-on for $6, so I bought it unsniffed to put in my stocking!

• Merlin says:

the IHP comes in rollerball – nice!

Hope you liked the Nicole Richie, that’s a bargain!

27. antaeus says:

I spend 55 euro on a Prada Infusion boxed set: 100 ml EDT and 100 ml Aftershave balm. Now that is what I call a bargain (-: Furthermore 93 euro for a big bottle (125 ml) of Antidote by Viktor and Rolf. I would loved to buy more bottles cause sadly Antidote is discontinued )-: but my desires are bigger than my wallet… And for Christmas I bought myself Dior 50 ml Eau Sauvage Parfum for euro 53. I wasn´t really sure if I liked ESP when it first came out a few months ago because it is so different from the original Eau Sauvage, but turns out that I love it. It has got that same ¨dirty darkness¨ that Prada Amber Intense has…

So this last quarter I spend euro 203, and for 2012 a total of euro 678.

Which is roundabout 500 in dollars, right? (-;

• C.H. says:

Ha, can we install you as official exchange rate setter? I would move back to Paris if $500US got me $678 Euro!

Unless you meant 203 Euro = 500USD! Ugh, that is more what it has felt like some of the last few years!

28. C.H. says:

Four bottles for me, although all for steep discounts on the auction site–About $30 each for Jo Malone Wild Fig & Cassis 30ml, Versace Versense 100ml, Burberry Brit Women’s Summer 2012 100ml, and Chloe Intense 50ml. Still sniffing around (ha meant that metaphorically but, also literally!) what I might wear regularly enough to justify a more substantial purchase. Suspect that in upcoming quarter I may break open piggy bank for some Le Labo Rose 31…although, this quarter does include my birthday, so maybe I’ll get some in a fashion exempt from damage poll accounting!

Always the best fashion in which to acquire perfume ;-)

29. sweetgrass says:

I buy mostly samples because I’m greedy and curious and want to smell everything I can get my hands on. My to-try list is too big and getting bigger all the time, but I did buy a few bottles:

Ineke Sweet William travel spray ($25)
    TokyoMilk Dead Sexy and
    Honey & the Moon ($30 each)

So I spent a whopping $85 on bottles. If I didn’t buy so many samples I might actually be able to buy a bottle of something sometimes. :)

• Merlin says:

Its not greedy; you want to know more than you want to have. I’m the opposite – I only want to know so I can find more things I want to have… Bad bad bad me – LOL!

30. Dzingnut says:

I’ve been mostly buying backup bottles this quarter:

L’Artisan Dzonghka
    Un Jardin Sur Le Toit

Wow … only 2! That’s the “best” I’ve ever done! But I’m dying to try the new Hermes, and my b-day is coming up, so I see another bottle in my immediate future!

31. fatih sultan mehmed says:

Forgive me Heavenly Scented Father, I have sinned.

Father: What did you do my son?
    Me: To honor You I have bought so many perfumes in December.
    Father: What did you buy then my son to honor Me properly?
    Me: Well Father here it comes:

Full bottles:
    Coco by Chanel
    No.19 by Chanel
    Fracas en Oudh by Robert Piguet
    Tubereuse Criminelle by The Master Serge Lutens
    Labdanum and Iris by Le Labo
    Fahrenheit by Christian Dior
    Youth Dew and Cinnabar by Estee Lauder
    Jicky L’Heure Blue and Mitsouko by Guerlain

Father: That is a lot of perfume in my honor son. But remember this, your collection is now big so each purchased perfume will last very long time. So do not worry young Fatih, I am very pleased that you did that for Me.

Me: Thanks Father for your wisdom. I am very pleased that you forgive me

• Merlin says:

Which religion is this – I want to join!

• fatih sultan mehmed says:

Did you not hear about it Young Master Merlin? It is called the Religion of the Scented People. Our Father has just ONE RULE: Thou shall use, nurture, love, have so many perfumes to Honor Me properly. That is it. So simple for the followers on this lovely, enjoyable and educational site.

• Merlin says:

Ha ha, my search for meaning is over!

• poodle says:

Me too. If only church was that much fun.

• Daisy says:

I believe I have just found my “true home”……bless me , for I have also honored the Father most faithfully…..

• nozknoz says:

I’m a believer!

*clap clap clap*

Excellent. And extra points for buying Fracas & Jicky & Tubereuse Criminelle.

• fatih sultan mehmed says:

Thanks Robin :D. You know since February 2012 I didnt buy any bottle of perfume, but my body could not resist anymore. So like an addict (to perfume) I purchased the best in my opinion. Fracas, Jicky and Tubereuse Criminille is now my own holy trinity.

32. Suzy Q says:

This was a light quarter for me, just three decants. I got:

Ambre 114
    Mito
    Azemour–back up decant

The third quarter was high because that’s when I bought a FB of Seville a l’Aube.

I spent less on perfume this year in part because of swapping a lot. I averaged $50 a month on perfume and that seems reasonable. (Maybe I should figure in atomizers and postage costs LOL.)

It’s nice to have this opportunity to reflect. After four full years, I see what kind of collection I am building. It’s easier to make decisions and to collect deliberately. I understand what notes I like and which ones I don’t, so it’s easier to figure out what I need to sample. However, as a true perfumista, I love being surprised by something new, especially something that I expected not to like!

Robin is my scent twin. Knowing that has saved me a lot of time and money this year. Thanks Robin ;)

• Squirrely says:

I’m in this phase to, stepping back to assess instead of gobbling samples at my previous rate. I now have day fragrances and evening fragrances for each season, as well as day-to-day office scents and “power scents” for work (I skew toward sexy florientals and don’t feel comfortable wearing them to work, hence a whole other category of “office appropriates”). My fragrance wardrobe actually feels kind of…complete (but I reserve the right to change my mind in 2 weeks!)

• Suzy Q says:

Yes, I know what you mean about “complete”. It’s a satisfying feeling.

Oh good!

33. ladymurasaki says:

I have honestly lost count. Anything beyond 10 is “many” :)

Ah, so it is!

that’s right…..10+ = many
      and $1000+ = much.

I rest my case…..and I’m going to sit over here with Ladymurasaki.
      ;)

• Merlin says:

Oh! thats the nice smelling corner:)

• ladymurasaki says:

As I’ll be leaving for LA in a few days, I have bought a bottle of Datura Noir and half a dozen or so of samples for me to test whilst in SoCal. Stll, “many” lol

34. joseangel says:

Thierry mugler pure malt, pure havane, jpg classique, and Daisy from Marc Jacob :)

35. lovethescents says:

The only thing I bought was a DSH Indus mini bottle. I couldn’t resist it….it’s that good :-)

36. Merlin says:

I THOUGHT I was getting better but I recently checked last year’s and this year’s polls to make my own list and well, I may actually be getting a bit worse…

2x L’Occitaine’s Citrus Verbena – travel size (one was the intense but had no tester)
    1x L’occitaine’s Vert 100ml

It was 50% off so it came to about $54. I may be taking a road trip that will involve some hiking later in the year and Vert will, I hope, be very useful!

Lolita Lempicka EDT 30mls

I got this at a discounter for $25 and I loved it straight away. For some reason the original EDP does not agree with me.

And…da da da da…

Chergui, which I paid full price for. Its my first Serge and I adore it.

• Merlin says:

Ok, its much worse, I forgot my umpteen decants:
      Atelier: Rose Anonyme, Vanille Incense, Orange Sanguine, Vetiver Fatale
      Guerlain: Spiriteuse Double Vanille, Oriental Brulant,
      Hermessance: Ambre Narguile
      These were about 5mls each and then slightly larger decants of:
      Cuir de Ottoman and Parfum Delrae Eau Illuminee.

…just getting a ruler to smack my knuckles.

• lucasai says:

Yay for Rose Anonyme and I wish I could try Spiriteuse Double Vanille, it’s name is so tempting.

• Merlin says:

I like Rose Anonyme very much when I’m in the mood for a sultry frag! Sanguine Orange though, might be my favourite – its just so uplifting.

I thought I would love Ambre Narguile as I love the scent of cherry tobacco being smoked (by others) out of a water pipe. But on me it smells too much like apple pie. Just too sweet and gourmand…

And, I was surprised to like Spiritueuse Vanille as much as I do. I am not a big fan of Havane Vanille (at least not on me – its too dense.) But SV seems to have a smoky dryness that balances the sweetness very nicely.

• Ari says:

Lolita Lempicka is soooo beautiful, and you got a great price! It’s time to stock up- the line is gone from most of my local Sephoras.

• Merlin says:

Has the whole line been discontinued? Don’t say that! I don’t have a fridge, and already too many bottles so I haven’t been getting any back-ups. But the EDT is SO pretty….

• aimiliona says:

Still available at the discounters.

• kelsomaniac says:

I bought Chergui full price as well and don’t regret it one bit!

37. JolieFleurs says:

8 1/2 bottles, though to be fair, 4 of them were Xmas and birthday gifts from my husband, but I was the one who actually made the purchases.

Back to Black travel spray (Xmas)
    Frankincense, Myrrh Rose Maroc (Xmas)
    Juicy Couture La La ( Can’t help it, I love their campy bottles) (Xmas)
    Large decant of Fille D’ Eve (Bday)
    Lady GaGa Fame (bought it for the bottle, but it smells pretty good on my skin)
    Yatagan
    Bvlgari Rose Essentielle in the small charm bottle, which I love. Am thinking about getting a few more of these in the original scent and one of the jasmines.

Picked up two of the Harajuku Lovers a TJMaxx for 10 dollars.

Let’s call it $500 altogether, but really only a bit over $100 if I subtract the ones that were presents. So not too awful bad.

I. too, had some awesome swap partners, so I feel as though I spent much more.

• poodle says:

Are you feeling any better?

• How is the Juicy Couture LaLa? I kinda have a thing for their bottles too. Wouldn’t mind having the original or Viva La Juicy.

38. lucasai says:

Time to confess to Donatella and everyone else. I bought 3 bottles this last quarter of 2012 which were:

in October – Parfum d’Empire Eau de Gloire, 75€ (35€ for me)
    in Novenber – Histoires de Parfums 1725, 90€ (60 €for me)
    in December – Parfum d’Empire Cuir Ottoman, 92€ (40€ for me)

I sticked to my rule of not buying more than one perfume per month! Yay!

• Merlin says:

I haven’t tried any of the Histoires but congrats on the sexiest frag in the world: Cuir Ottoman!

• lucasai says:

Histoires de Parfums is an amazing line with nice diversity in scents. 1725 is my favourite along with Rosam from them.
        Thank you, Cuir Ottoman rocks!

• poodle says:

That’s not a bad rule. I need a rule like that. Along with some self restraint.

• lucasai says:

I like that rule a lot. When I don’t have a great mood for new perfume it sometimes evolves into “not more than one in two months”

• Lys says:

Lucas I like that rule. And I have that rule for other stuff I collect, so why not perfume?

• Lys says:

Meant to say I haven’t applied that rule to *perfume* yet. But maybe now I will!

• lucasai says:

It’s definitely worth applying to perfume too. Your budget will be thankful.

• hajusuuri says:

I need that rule too and stick with it. It is only January 3rd and I’ve already used up my January quota. What will I do when the Jo Malones come out all at once? Ummmm, I’ll just count them as one :-)

• Lys says:

Oh no. Sugar and Spice pudding collection or whatever? Limited editions are hard to resist.

• lucasai says:

You spent your January perfume money already? Wow! What did you buy?
        Ahh, don’t tell me, I’m tempted by that limited Jo Malone collection too but JM is not available in Poland so maybe I will have to say “bye bye” to them…

39. Rictor07 says:

I cant recall if they were both in the last quarter, but the last 2 bottles I bought were
    Mark Birley – Charles Street
    Montale – Red Vetyver

40. Eva S says:

I was bad- again! I bought five FB:
    Santa Maria Novella Eva (excuse:I was in Florence and the bottle had my name on it!)
    Amouage Epic Woman
    Guerlain Shalimar Ode a la Vanille 2012
    Acqua di Parma Iris Nobile EdP
    Hermes Ambre de Merveille
    I’ve used all of them a lot though and think they’re all gorgeous, so no regrets

• Suzy Q says:

Oh yes, you just had to get Eva! You got some great stuff. I love that Hermes.

• Eva S says:

And now I remember I was even worse- I got the FM Womens sample coffret as well…

• Emily says:

If you classify those as really large samples, you don’t have to count them in the damage poll :)

And Eva is a great scent, I’d like a bottle of that.

41. elise says:

SL Bas de Soie – blind buy! love it!
    Ineke Briar Rose (on sale)
    and just today
    Ineke Larkspur (sale sale! $10)
    and another Anthropologie (the one with the huge bird bottle…also $10)
    Got Stella McC LILY for the holidays along with Bvlgari Rose

• Merlin says:

Americans get amazing deals on frag. $10? and for Ineke. Here, if a decent perfume is going somewhere for R200 that is $25, its a good time to jump…

• C.H. says:

What! Crap I might have to go to my Anthro right now. The Larkspur was down to $30 when last I was there and I was on fence about whether I’d really wear it… but $10!! That’s nuts. Ok, you talked me into it. So much for finishing this work project!

• elise says:

it was on sale and then %30 off…they also had the Le Labos Belle du Soire and Blanc…and a few others…run!

• poodle says:

My Anthro never, and I mean never, has anything good like that. They actually have very little in fragrance. Yet I go in every time I’m at that mall and…nothing.

• Lys says:

LOL I almost got that big bird perfume bottle when it went on sale, just for the bird. I didn’t … but I wish I had.

• I was SO CLOSE to buying the bird perfume myself. At my Anthro it was clearanced back in the summer. Happ & Stahns Lily Sanguine, I believe. It smells great and… BIRD BOTTLE. Somehow I held off on buying.

I went on Tuesday and bought Ineke Sweet William. Sort of regretting not picking up the few Le Labos they had left. Oh well. I’ll live.

42. farouche says:

Three bottles this quarter: Fendi Theorema, Diptyque Volutes EDP, and Tom Ford Black Orchid Voile de Fleur. Plus 6 partial bottles (used): Divine extrait, Acqua di Parma Iris Nobile EDT, Deneuve EDT, Chanel pre-reformulation Cristalle EDT, Dune parfum, and Guerlain Iris Ganache. Plus…lots of sample vials and small decants, which I’m not counting :) I love having this quarterly accounting to keep me honest.

• nozknoz says:

I want Volutes, too – still dithering on which concentration to get, though. Did you test them both?

• farouche says:

Yes, and like them both. I found the EDP to be richer and warmer and the EDT to be lighter and more sparkling. Must admit here that I did also buy a largish decant of the EDT :)

• Emily says:

Ooh, I am wearing Divine EDP right now, and I think it’s qualified for my wish list. I can’t even imagine what the extrait must be like.

• farouche says:

It is, well, *divine*!

• farouche says:

Whoops, failed to mention my replacement bottle of L’Artisan Figuier dry oil, full price, and the LAP Mure et Musc dry oil, bargain basement price (discontinuing perhaps?).
      I sent a fair amount of the Figuier along to swappers as an extra during the recent swaps, as I want everyone to love it as much as I do!

43. SuddenlyInexplicably says:

One perfect exquisite bottle of vintage Chanel No 22 for approximately $70.00, obtained for me while I was sleeping by my amazing Perfume Fairy Godmother, Daisy. Thank you so much, dear PFG!

• OperaFan says:

It’s all about quality. Congratulations!

44. moore says:

I fear to burn in hell Donatella! I’ve never made so many sins! How do you scape from purgation our Lady of Scented Overindulgence??? Please, help a desperate soul!

• poodle says:

Don’t think of it as a sin. I remember the nuns saying that the smoke from the incense helps carry your prayers to heaven. So think of your sillage as a scented prayer to Our Lady of Overindulgence.
      Wow, the things you remember from catholic school…

• moore says:

LOL Poodle! I’m working on it. I was educated at a nun’s school, despite not being the most saint student.
        I think I’ll use any incense perfume I’ve bought and so she’ll listen to my prayers and help me. Maybe I can use the strongest incensy one or all the incense frags I bought and so my body would be carried Straight to Heaven.
        Hey Kilian Hennessy, you owe me some cash for the quote! You can pay me as perfumes. I don’t mind.

45. PetronellaCJ says:

Balmain Jolie Madame and Ambre Gris, the modern versions but I find them both enjoyable. And the Floris Mahon Leather I share w my husband, the comination of leather and saffron is just wonderful.

• nozknoz says:

Hmm…that Mahon sounds tempting!

46. platinum14 says:

Hanging my head down in shame—but with a wicked, spoiled child grin.
    This year has been crazy. I have shown no self-control at all.
    This quarter I bought 19 FB and 1 mini. Combined with the other quarters that brings my yearly total to 60 FB! … I know!!
    This year I bought a lot of vintage bottles: old friends from the past, bottles that I could not afford in my younger years, scents that I was always curious about, and scents that only internet shopping gives me access to.
    Some of my highlights:
    8 from L’Artisan Parfumeur (Fou D’Absinthe, Havana Vanille, Méchant Loup, Tea for two, Thé pour un été, Poivre Piquant, Bois Farine, and Traversée du Bosphore)
    5 from Lutens (Chergui, Cèdre, Arabie, Féminité du Bois, and Louve)
    I was able to find my old favorites Ho Hang Club and Héritage and I found a new best friend: Eau de Courrèges.
    What will 2013 bring…

• nozknoz says:

At least you are a wicked, spoiled child with great taste, Platinum! ;-)

• Merlin says:

Is that the Guerlain Heritage? nice!
      As for the Chergui – Why are you wearing MY scent?!

47. helenviolette says:

I get to vote Nary a One! That is rare indeed! I will boast a perfumed Christmas gift of Seville L’aube from my better half….it is sublime. And I ordered a 3ml spray of Nostolgie yesterday- but it was January, so it will factor in next time (if I can remember it)…Happy New Year all :)

Oh, good for you! Always a nice feeling to take a break from buying.

48. thenoseknows says:

Haven’t Bought anything…. YET, But Spicebomb. AMen Taste of Leather, and TF Champaca Absolute are on the IMMEDIATE Horizon! As well as the New Lighter Version of JPG “Le Male”

49. Marjorie Rose says:

Only one this quarter (can that be right?!): Une Rose Chypree, which I bought at Our Lady as soon as they started carrying Tauer scents–AND, since I had a birthday gift certificate, it was even at a reduced price. Woohoo!

(Yearly total: $662 for 9 bottles. And that was my frugal year! Don’t tell my mother.)

• Merlin says:

Congratulations! URC is one of those scents that are totally and completely satisfying, wonderful, complex and full. Make you wonder why you ever use anything else…

• Marjorie Rose says:

Thank you, and I completely agree, Merlin! It is *SO* lovely, I find that I want it often. And it lasts so long and remains interesting far into the dry down, which I am beginning to feel is rare and wonderful when I encounter it.

Ha, I would not even want to know what I spent in some of my earlier years. Luckily I was not keeping track.

• Marjorie Rose says:

So, given the perspective of still being a relative newbie, I’m showing a surprising amount of restraint! (That *is* what you’re suggesting, right? ;) )

50. Blithie says:

I confess to Scented Overindulgence but no regrets!
    Dior Dune, Mitsouko, L’Heure Blue, Eau Sauvage, Bulgari Black, 10 Corso Como, Chergui, and Carriere.

51. annemarie says:

I’ve checked back though my orders and I’m horrified to find I’ve spent about $150 (incl. shipping) on samples and decants in three months.

That has included tentative explorations of Francis Kurkdjian (nothing to fall in love with), Ramon Monegal (same) and Maria Candida Gentile (order has not arrived). However from STC I’ve had had great success with orange blossom/neroli explorations: 24 Faubourg, Orangers en Fleurs, Annick Goutal Neroli. My Bal a Versailles has yet to arrive.

My only FB was 15 mls of Rose 31 from le Labo.

All up over $200 for generally good return, and I’m always paying international shipping, but I definitely plan to cut back this quarter. I’m going back to my old system: I have a little tin by my bedside (from a used L’Occitane candle), and any spare $10s or $20s go into that. No cash, no ordering.

She says. :)

52. maggiecat says:

I’ve been pretty good this quarter: a bottle of Hove’s Carnaval, a bottle of Ineke’s Poet’s Jasmine (great after Christmas sale at Anthropologie, about 1/3 of the uusal cost). And assorted samples, of course :-)

53. Scarlet Absinthe says:

0!
    Pregnant too!
    Everything smells the same but it gets straight to the top-back of my nose… and it’s not comfy!
    I’m using samples I got of L’eau d’Hiver and Dans tes bras (FM). Really love them but not sure if I’ll still love them in a couple of months so I try to wait, just a bit expensive if in 3 months I just don’t care anymore… I have Un jardin sur le Nil, still like it but my man HATES it, he thinks everything JCE does, smells like swamp (I,ll have that comment soon on L’Eau d’Hiver I guess, I try to ware it went he’s not around :)
    Is there a post on fragrances for Temporary Sensitive Noses?

54. Connie says:

I was pretty bad but a quite a few of them were gifts so I guess that doesn’t count … does it? Whew, glad they don’t. Tee hee!

Caron — Tabac Blond vintage parfum 7.5 ml 171.00
    Les Senteurs Gourmandes coffret 4 mini EDP–Musc Blanc, Vanille Bourbon, Vanille Pamplemousse, Figue Sauvage (10 ml each) 26.00
    Barbara Bui — Le Parfum 3 oz. 45.00
    Dior — Eau Sauvage 1.7 oz 48.00
    Bulgari — Black 2.5 oz, 2 bottles 72.00
    Dior — Dior Homme mini 10ml 13.00
    Tom Ford — Tobacco Vanille mini 4ml 19.00
    Guerlain — Vetiver (vintage) 3.4 oz EDT- 35.00
    Guerlain — Shalimar (vintage) 1.7 oz EDT 35.00
    Guerlain — Bois D’armenie 10ml (decant) 40.00
    Mona Di Orio — discovery pack 8 sample vials 2 ml each 32.00
    Total $536.00 Yikes!! Must not buy anything else for a while … which is reaaaallly difficult as I read the lists of wonderful purchases. :-)

55. mough says:

Bad, bad girl:

Une Voixe Noire
    Opus VI
    vintage Nuit de Noel extrait
    vintage Emeraude found for 3 dollars! at local antique shop
    Amber Passion by Laura Mercier.
    31 Rue C.

I have to stop thinking about it…

• nozknoz says:

Ooh, these are such good ones – and Nuit de Noel: it’s in the spirit of the season!

• mough says:

I thought so. At least they are good ones and worthy of the splurge. The Amber is a bit of a guilty pleasure, so sweet and sticky. I’m now debating a back up bottle of the Voixe Noire, terrified it will disappear.

56. brookesfca says:

I went a bit overboard and quit adding once I hit $1000.
    Carner D600
    Decennial collection – Lys de Desert
    HdP Ambre 114
    les Nereides Opoponax
    Several Aftelier minis and a couple of body oils
    Ineke’s Sweet William.
    L’Artisan’s Premier Figuer in the LE bottle
    4 15ml bottles of assorted AG scents
    A few Caron’s – Belladogia, Nuit de Noel, and Narcisse Noir
    Some vintage Emeraude and Theroema Esprit d’Ete
    A couple things were swaps like Fendi Asja so they will count as free.
    Confession is good for the soul.

• nozknoz says:

I like your idea of setting a limit on the tally rather than on the purchases! ;-)

• Emily says:

Lys du Desert will likely be one of my early 2013 purchases. Wonderful stuff.

57. nozknoz says:

I was either very bad or very good, depending on one’s perspective.

Early in the quarter, I bought Cartier IV L’Heure Fougueuse thinking, oh, I’ll just buy this ONE expensive, wonderful thing this quarter. HAH!

Around Thanksgiving, I was browsing ebay, forgetting that sellers bring out their most tempting wares in anticipation of Christmas, and came across pristine vintage presentations of vintage Guerlain Guet-Apens and Vol de Nuit (propeller bottle). They were expensive but so fabulous, and, seeing how much prices have gone up over the last several years, I like to think of them as future bargains. :-)

I also found a partial of a lost love: vintage AG Passion extrait in great condition in its original box – so wonderful! I’m very happy with these treasures!

• Lys says:

That’s a wonderful list. The Guet-Apens bottle is lovely as an object, in addition to the scent it contains.

• nozknoz says:

It really is, and given what the simple refill bottles of Attrape-Coeur are going for, I decided not to resist.

• Karin says:

GUET-APENS!!! OHHHH! Fabulous.

• OperaFan says:

Treasures indeed! I need to change my mentality and think “future investments!”

58. ojaddicte says:

Bless me, Donatella, for I have sinned:

1. Ormonde Jayne Man
    2. O.J. Iris Noir
    3. E.L. Youth Dew cofret (edp, powder, & lotion)
    4. 2× Cuir de Lancome
    5. 2x YSL Nu
    6. Silences de Jacomo
    7. Ineke Hothouse Gardenia (won that in a draw!)
    8. V.C.& A Midnight in Paris

Awww, let’s face it, I AM going to “sin” again!

59. hajusuuri says:

I was going to skip the poll this quarter but I had started to keep track (well, for 1/3 of the quarter purchases) and decided to plunge in and confess all.

Clearly, I went overboard. I’ll just blame it on the enablers in this board and others…

1. Ann Gerard Discovery Collection – 3 x 9 mL
    14. Lush Gorilla Icon – 9mL
    15. Lush Gorilla Superworld Unknown – 9 mL
    16. Parfum d’ Empire Azemour Les Orangers EDP – 50 mL
    17. Parfums de Nicolai Fig Tea Eau Fraīche – 30 mL
    18. Prada No. 4 Fleur d’ Oranger – 30 mL
    19. Thierry Mugler Alien EDP – 30 mL

+ lots of samples, small decants, swapped stuff, etc. etc. etc.

• Merlin says:

1000 kisses deep is deeply gorgeous – congrats!

• ojaddicte says:

I’m coveting your Ann Gerard set! Which one is your favourite? Lovely
      purchases. Bottega is one of my favourites.

• hajusuuri says:

The Cuir de Nacre is my favorite. The Discovery Set was at a pretty good (regular) price point ($65 for 3 x 9 mL splash bottle) i couldn’t pass it up.

That said, I actually have to edit my 4Q purchases to, sigh, include a few more:
        20. L’Occitane Feuilles Magiques 10 mL (and guess what…I just realized that one side of the box has the Braille raised dots!)
        21. ELDO Encens et Bubblegum 10 mL mini (I am 100% sure the enabler posts here)
        22. M. Micallef Ylang in Gold 5mL mini

60. Karin says:

8 Bottles – $182
    7 decants and minis – $132

Total: $314

I bought a few of the bottles with gift cards and birthday $. And I won two bottles in blog giveaways (lucky me!).

Bottles purchased:
    Ritz by Charles of the Ritz (vintage)
    Cartier Baiser Vole Extrait
    Kilian Forbidden Games
    Nicolai L’Eau a la Folie
    Nicolai Kiss Me Tender
    Nicolai Balkis

Bottles won:
    Honey Lips Kiss
    Carner Barcelona Rima XI (still waiting for it to arrive…)

Decants and minis:
    Ann Gerard set
    L’Heure de Nuit
    Jour d’Hermes
    Guerlain Encens Mythique d’Orient
    Histoires de Parfums 1804

I’m over $1,000 for the year. Yikes!

• Lys says:

Karin, the Encens Mythique is easily my favorite perfume of 2012.

• OperaFan says:

Karin – Can you do my taxes for me? I love your ability to juggle numbers.

• Karin says:

Haha! Yeah, I’m good. ;-)

• Encens Mythique I think may just be my favorite of 2012 too.

Deeply, deeply jealous of your Baiser Vole extrait as well.

61. Sajini says:

Diesel Loverdose, I like it please don’t make fun of me
    My husband gave me Hermes L’Ambre des Merveilles
    Cuir Ottoman is next on the wish list

62. Emily says:

I was unusually well-behaved this quarter, at least in terms of FB purchases:

vintage Cabochard EDT, 4 oz., $40
    Volutes EDT, 50 mL, $80 ($40 of which was covered by Nordies reward certificates)
    Atelier Cologne Grand Neroli, 30 mL, $65 ($20 of which was covered by a gift card from Sephora)

But I bought a truckload of samples, so I don’t get to feel too smug about anything.

63. bookwyrmsmith says:

Last quarter not bad about $50 spent for some vintage Replique minis,FB, and solid,also Bvlgari Aqva Marine fb,and a backup Chopard Madness . Possibly may have bought a travelsize set of BBW Cashmere Glow (can’t remember whether it was this Q or last) so maybe another $10…
    However I am apparently making up for it ..three days into the new year and I’ve already(blind) bought a mini of Angel La Rose +samples of the other three,(blind)bought a vintage bottle of Basile,and based on y’alls comments about Anthro’s sale went over and nabbed a FB of Sweet William .
    Naughty me.

• bookwyrmsmith says:

The Sweet William was $29.07 with shipping online -but I don’t think that there are any stores nearby me anyway.

• I bought the Sweet William in store, but I’m counting it for the 1st quarter of 2013 since it was January.

I’ve been testing those Garden of Stars Angels lately… they’re fun.

64. kelsomaniac says:

AG Les Nuits d’Hadrien $20
    Demeter Thunderstorm $10

Decants:
    Chanel Bois De Iles edt 5ml $12
    L’Artisan Tea for Two 5ml $12

Total for 4th Quarter: $369

Oy vey. I have been bad this quarter! I wouldn’t return anything if I could though! The only one I haven’t been able to use much is Les Nuits d’Hadrien but I imagine it will get plenty of use when it warms up. Hope everyone had a nice holiday!

• Merlin says:

Quite a few of us bought Chergui this quarter! But now where, oh where, did you get all those $20 bargains?

• kelsomaniac says:

A local beauty shop was having a Christmas clearance sale. I was very lucky!

65. Ajda says:

I got 2 FBs: L’Ambre des Merveilles and Hypnotic Poison and a couple of decants: Santal Majuscule, Cuir de Lancome, YSL Nu. Not too bad, but I spent a lot on clothes.

66. Ann-Sofie says:

Guerlain, Insolence
    Chanel, 31 Rue Cambon
    Serge Lutens, Feminité du Bois

67. Jaisalmer says:

hallo to everyone and happy new year…during the last four months I bought Quartier Latin by Memo and I adore wearing it..then L’0mbre fauve by Parfumerie generale and a bottle of DZING!!! by l’Artisan perfumeur…i wanted to have a bottle of Indochine by Parfumerie Generale..i adore that perfume but it seems to me it only lasts two minutes on my skin…anyway my favourite fragrance for 2012 has been theb same one of 2011….FAREB by Huitième Art..is there someone here who loves this perfume too?…

68. london says:

All my FBs were bought with gift vouchers received as presents but given that I could have spent them on something non-perfume related, I figure they should probably count. So the total is 3 1/2 – Seville a l’Aube, MFK Oud (partly because it amazes me that I like something oud and partly because I hope that by buying something called “oud” I will break the curse and perfume trends will move somewhere else) and VC&A Muguet Blanc (sorry, Robin). The 1/2 is a mini of Loretta but I wish I had gone for a FB. I just didn’t believe I could really like a tuberose. I don’t count decants because I can’t remember them all. So I think that makes my yearly total 6 1/2 (of which I only regret one but I was just so excited to be in the Scent Bar that I got carried away). Unfortunately I have also received gift vouchers for Christmas so 2013 won’t start well…

69. Mihaela says:

I bought, I think, about 5 bottles: Sensuous ( my first and probably last Lauder ever), Ange ou Demon ( sentimental purcahse I could have entirely skipped since I’d had it before and swapped it with no regrets….), L’eau de Chloe ( this is my 2012 best discovery and I’m glad I bought it, because it’s really really nice and I keep using it a lot) and Gucci by Gucci edp ( I like it but the 50 ml bottle will take a long time to finish. ). Also La Vie este Belle I do like it and wear it often but this one was ordered abroad and it did not get to me yet, it will probably arrive in February. Too many and a total waste of time and money. I guess I should be more selective…

70. lupo says:

I’m as usual outside Europe :) but I was in Madrid just before Christmas for work. I came back to Beirut with travel size Acqua di Parma Colonia and the Rituals Bergamot and Vetiver perfume. Sort of light scents for work, I’m getting very practical recently!
    However, in Beirut I found a wonderful artisanal perfumer and got away with a 10ml minibottle of pure Neroli oil for a couple of dollars, and that ranked up to my best purchase of 2012! Just pure neroli delight, great longevity and very discreet projection. I’ll get back for more!

71. Took me forever to reply this time around because I was having troubling remembering. But I finally pieced it together. I’m putting my total at 4 bottles:
    -Esprit d’Oscar 100mL (onsale for about $30)
    -15mL Soivohle Rosa sur Reuse (onsale $15)
    -15mL Soivohle Lilas et Narcisse (onsale $15)
    -2 vintage minis at antique shops: Max Factor Hypnotique and Bal a Versailles (~$15 each)

I also purchased a SLEW of samples. Probably my biggest quarter ever on sample-purchasing. And I got several full bottles in swap: EL Tuscany per Donna, EL Private Collection, Perfumer’s Workshop Tea Rose, Caron Nuit de Noel (modern EDT).

And my sweet, dear husband purchased me a bottle of Nez a Nez’s Ambre a Sade for my birthday. With thanks to Undina for finding it on clearance for us!! :)

72. AnnieA says:

Atelier Trefle Pur although it felt like much more due to the PP swap…

73. Erin says:

Our Lady! I lied to you! I put 2-4 bottles for the poll, which seemed really suspiciously low, and then realized I’d forgotten a PdN 30 ml, my CB IHP absolue, a body product (does that count for bottle count?) and a OJ Travel atomizer of Ta’if from Daisy’s split ($35?). Forgive me, Donatella. I didn’t spend the promised $750 customs allowance in NYC in October – and I bought tea, as you suggested, Robin – but I got very close.

Aedes de Venustas Signature EdP 100ml – $225 (yikes!)
    Carthusia Aria di Capri 100ml – $80
    Nicolai Eau Chic 30 ml – $45
    Nicolai Eau a la Folie 100 ml – $100
    Nicolai old, dusty Sacrebleu EdP 50 ml – $50 (New London Pharmcy guy was good to me on the last two)
    CB IHP In the Summer Kitchen 15 ml – $90
    Amouage Lyric (Women’s) body cream w/ discount – $80

Total (w/ OJ travel 10ml) – $715. Gulp. Good thing I was well-behaved the rest of the year. I did get a few things that have been on my list forever though (the Carthusia, Sacrebleu).

• OperaFan says:

But it’s such a wonderful list and you got some nice deals in spite of AdV! I got the Eau Chic also. It’s my favorite among the PdN Eaux I’ve tried.

Oh, I want to hear what tea you got!

• Erin says:

I just got some Ito En Mhu Zha Oolong and re-stocked on my Mariage Freres Pleine Lune (which I’ve since found in Toronto). Since I loved that Lune Rouge you sent me, I wanted to try Aftelier Rose Ginger Oolong, but at that time MiNY (where I got the Lyric body butter) was not carrying the teas yet, only the Chef’s Essences.

• Erin says:

And just browsing the comments of your Rose Ginger Oolong review, I saw a comment of yours that identified the tea starting with a “k” that I couldn’t remember the name of but that I loved so much from your package! It’s MF Karikal.

Oh good! Palais des Thés also makes a really nice spiced green with a bit of citrus — Thés des Fakirs. Don’t know if that would be easier or harder to find than Karikal.

• Merlin says:

I really think it would be much harder to resist buying perfume in NYC than in Paris. A great portion of what is available in Paris seems to be easily available in NYC, but houses like CBIHP, Slumberhouse, Sonoma Scent S. and quite a few others – are American.

74. nancyg says:

I fell off the wagon with 50 ml of Z-14 for $7.99, 50 ml Sublime Balkiss for about $100, and an unopened jar – in box – of Lucien LeLong Indiscret solid. The jar is about 4 inched tall and the desiccated solid itself, wrapped in foil, is about 2 inches long by 1/2 in diameter. I haven’t opened it, but couldn’t resist it at the antique store.
    My quarter would have been much worse had the wonderful Noor in Toronto not been victim to the razing of the Four Seasons Hotel. They say they’ll re-open sometime in the spring but don’t know where…

75. Blimunda says:

Treated myself royally this past quarter – Coromandel, the 75ml. And mon número 8 from L’Artisan. Absolutely gorgeous, both of them. And both so different! For the first time in a long time, there is NOTHING I covet. I am replete. I have every scent I ever wanted or needed now! Oh, what am I saying?, apart from Sel Marin and Cardinal actually, I only have samples of those and would like full bottles……..aaaaarhh!

76. aimiliona says:

Aimez-Moi, Baby Doll Paris (nostalgia: it smells like the RI state fair, with grapefruit doing a fair substitute for seaweed and cotton candy), and Bois de Violette.

77. Omega says:

January 4th is my b-day, so of course, extra excuses to buy fume, lol.
    Today I got a refill bottle of Daisy and Briar Rose, Ineke. Damage so far? I buy mostly samples..but a full bottle I got was Field Notes by Ineke.

78. Merlin says:

Happy (belated) birthday – someone will smell good this year;)

79. perthgirl says:

Oooh I knew there was a reason why I unconsciously gave myself an avatar on this site yet use my real name on the other perfume blogs!! Oh my goodness!! It’s taken me a couple of days to muster the courage to confess (and to compile the list I might add), but here goes:

LesNez Manoumalia 50ml $105
    SL A La Nuit $85.50
    Lalique Encre Noir 4ml $11
    Hermes Eau de Merveilles 7ml $15
    Jacomo art #8 $23.80
    Mauboussin edp 100ml $41.80
    Chopard Casmir edp 30ml $26

I could add it up but I just don’t want to know. (fingers in ears lalalala) There have been many enablers this past quarter, and the way I see it, is on a $ per ml basis, it is waaay more economic in the long term to buy fb’s, especially when they are on special! Well that’s my story and I’m sticking to it! :-) Now off to today’s post to say how I resolve not to do so much damage next quarter :-)
    AG Ninfeo Mio 100ml $69

• perthgirl says:

Now how did that one get down there?!? See one’s even tried to escape the list! :-)

• perthgirl says:

Oh dear. Wait, there’s more. It’s not perfume as such, but in the spirit of a full confession, I must add that I bought the shower gel and body creams for both Amouage Lyric and Voyage d’Hermes, which I already have fb’s of (Voyage in edt AND parfum :-/)

And Oh My Gosh!!!! That made me remember I also bought Terre d’Hermes parfum too. That’s it. I’m sure now, that’s it.

80. KRL says:

Pheromone
    Sikkim
    Jicky
    Vol de Nuit
    Taif Parfum
    Deneuve

I was a very, very bad girl. Full bottles of all (Safari and one of the Chaos bottles were not full).

81. Filomena says:

I only bought three (3) bottles this quarter but one was a real splurge and my Christmas present to me (I do not get very much for Christmas, so I try to treat myself to a special fragrance every year).

The bell jar of Surge Luten’s Iris Silver Mist: $300.00
    Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere Noir pour femme: $175.00
    Dicennial (Tauer) Lys du Desert : $150.00

Total $625.00 – Yikes!

82. fleurdelys says:

I’m amazed to say I bought only one – a long-coveted bottle of Chanel No. 22, and that with gift cards.