The Monday Mail ~ help Kirsten find a new fragrance

Boites aux lettres

This week we're helping Kirsten, who wants to find her perfect perfume and can pay up to $120. She has a good local selection and is happy to shop online. Here is what we know about Kirsten:

She's in her mid 40s and lives in Denmark. She is married, no kids.

She says she is a casual, creative person. She makes jewelry using lots of pretty gemstones, and she bakes and cooks (she loves Indian/exotic and Italian foods).

Kirsten has red hair, fair freckled skin, and green eyes — think Julianne Moore.

Kirsten likes white flowers, citrus, lilac, sweet pea and peony. Her favorite fragrance for her husband is Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta. In the 80s and 90s she used to wear Kenzo classic, Montana, and Lancome Magie Noir, but she finds them all too strong now. At the moment, her rotation includes Guerlain Idylle, Origins Ginger Essence and Jennifer Aniston. She liked Elie Saab in a tester but hasn't yet tried it on skin.

Kirsten doesn't like cloying sweet fragrances or vanilla. Perfumes on her "no" list include Cacharel LouLou & Anais Anais, and Thierry Mugler Angel.

What say you?

Note: top image is Boites aux lettres [cropped] by besopha at flickr; some rights reserved.

1. lucasai says:

Things that come to my mind are:

Chanel Gardenia
    Parfum d’Empire Yuzu Fou, Iskander
    Annick Goutal Eau d’Hadrien, Mandragore
    Jo Malone Peone & Moss
    Histoires de Parfums Vert Pivoine
    Penhaligon’s Peoneve

Good luck finding the best one for you!

2. ladymurasaki says:

Kirsten, have you tried Acqua di Parma Gelsomino Nobile? It is a light jasmine scent with a hint of citrus. Miss Dior Eau Fraiche is another light citrusy floral that I could think of.

3. ChocolatEyes613 says:

Perfumes Kirsten should try:
    Lolita Lempicka Si Lolita
    Bvlgari Jasmin Noir
    Chanel Gardenia
    Chloe Love, Chloe
    Issey Miyake L’Eau D’Issey
    Estee Lauder Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia

4. Cybele says:

second Estee Lauder Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia- most beautiful white flowers around…and Apom pour femme Maison Francis Kurdjian. Something tells me you might enjoy Osmanthe Yunnan, Hermessence

5. sbe13 says:

I immediately thought of Noa Cacharel, which isn’t in production anymore, but you can still find, and it’s inexpensive. It’s a soft scent.

6. YellowLantern says:

Thierry Mugler Cologne is in a similar-ish vein as Ginger Essence (I love GE, one of my fav casual scents), plus it’s not too expensive. Another that you might like in that vein is Frederic Malle Lys Mediterranee. It’s pricy, but the refills can be had for under $120.

I second the Estee Lauder Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia too for a lovely white floral.

• Cybele says:

second Lys Mediterranee, then you should also try Vanille Galante, Hermessence- forgot to mention it earlier (it’s not vanilla)

7. galwaygirl001 says:

En Passant – frederic malle
    Chanel Exclusif – eau de cologne
    Elixir Aqua Universalis Forte – Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    Ormonde Jayne -Tiare

• austenfan says:

Second En Passant, maybe a bit over budget but probably one of the most interesting not sweet lilac scents out there.

• CM says:

Thirding En Passant! You might also like L’Eau d’Hiver from the Malle line as well.

8. austenfan says:

The Different Company: Osmanthus and (Divine) Bergamote.
    Donna Karan Gold: discontinued but still easily found online. A lovely ambery lily. There are plenty of reviews of it online.
    Maybe get the Ormonde Jayne sample set. Quite pricey but she has some good scents in there.
    Goutal: Eau du Ciel, Le Chèvrefeuille and Un Matin d’Orage.
    Parfums de Nicolaï: Weekend à Deauville, Odalisque, Eau d’Eté

• nozknoz says:

I was also thinking of the PdN line – they are lovely perfumes that are not too heavy or expensive.

9. poodle says:

The first thing I thought of when I saw lilac was After My Own Heart by Ineke. I think it’s worth a sniff.

10. Omega says:

I would say After My Own Heart by Ineke, great lilac scent. Or Jo Malone’s Orange Blossom which has that orange+lilac. Also I would rec Un Matin d’ Orage by Annick Goutal.

11. hajusuuri says:

I second Chanel Gardenia, OJ Tiare (my new love) and JM Orange Blossom. I also suggest L’AP Seville a l’Aube and Ineke Hot House Flower.

12. Anat13 says:

I’d suggest Ormonde Jayne Frangipani for gorgeous and refreshing white flowers and citrus.

13. sullapelle says:

Oh this is a no brainer for me: Astier de Villatte L’eau Chic. Beautiful white flower fragrance with ylang ylang, tuberose but the thyme and rosemary keep it from being cloying. It’s wonderful but not strong. Orange Blossom fragrances might also be nice. I personally like Penhaligons Orange Blossom but it might be too sweet for you. Gardenia is also a great white flower: kai and khiel’s gardenia are lovely and not too cloying either.