Perfume Smell-Alikes

Coty Emeraude vintage advertGuerlain Shalimar vintage advert, are you her type

As new perfume releases fly by, I can’t help but remember the old saying, “There is nothing new under the sun.” While the monotony can be a drag, it has one big advantage: if you like a particular style of perfume, you might have lots of versions to chose from, at difference price points and availability.

This post is dedicated to calling out “smell-alikes” — that is, fragrances that aren’t dupes but smell similar enough to be siblings. They might give you ideas of fragrances to try, or they might provide a proxy for a rare perfume you can’t get your hands on. I hope you’ll add your own smell-alikes to the comments.

Frédéric Malle Carnal Flower/Coty Sand & Sable. Sure, there’s no comparing the quality between these two, and smelling them side by side would probably ruin Sand & Sable for me for good. (A side-by-side of cousins Grès Cabaret and Frédéric Malle Portrait of a Lady ended in my tossing my decant of Cabaret in my give-away pile.) But if you crave Carnal Flower but your wallet opens only to the change you scavenged from between the sofa cushions, you might want to give Sand & Sable a try.

Xerjoff Irisss/Prada Infusion d’Iris Absolue. Who can afford a bottle of the glorious Irisss? That is, even if you were able to sample it before ordering it. Prada Infusion d’Iris Absolute feels a little like stiff rayon next to Irisss’s silk, but it does radiate Irisss’s rich, elegant, but slightly dirty aura. Plus, it adds an interesting patent leather angle. (If you end up loving the patent leather, try Elizabeth Taylor Black Pearls.)

Parfumerie Générale Corps et Ames/Chloé L'Eau de Chloé. These fragrances share a shot of rich rose and bitter geranium that summon the retro charms of Norma Shearer’s dressing table. Corps et Ames is mossier and lasts longer, but Eau de Chloé is an enjoyable light version. (Incidently, both fragrances remind me of Diptyque L'Ombre dans L’Eau once Ombre’s maple-sweet bit burns off.)

Guerlain Shalimar/Coty Emeraude. No, they don’t smell exactly the same, but they share a baroque mood replete with lemon peel, lavender, amber, civet, and piles of tasseled Persian carpets. Vintage Emeraude Parfum de Toilette compares well to Shalimar Extrait.

Fabergé Tigress/Stetson by Stetson. Tigress is still out there if you’re willing to troll thrift stores and yard sales, but Stetson Man is as close as your drug store. They’re both a sheer hybrid of a fougère and an easygoing oriental, although Tigress’s packaging is much more exciting.

Amouage Jubilation 25/Rochas Femme. Both these fragrances simmer with carnality. Femme is a bit more blowsy thanks to its peach and cheaper materials, but she might have a thing or two to teach to Jubilation 25’s well-bred sex kitten. Both fragrances require a tolerance for animalic odors and a penchant for cleavage. The new version of Christian Dior Diorama is a cousin.

Other smell-alikes: Hermès Bel Ami/Bois 1920 Come La Luna. L’Artisan Parfumeur Dzing!/Bvlgari Black. Frédéric Malle Parfum de Thérèse/Molyneux Quartz (kind of); Christian Dior Diorissimo/Jessica McClintock for Women.

What smell-alikes have you encountered? Please share!

1. eaudemale says:

Great article. A recommendation, you guys could make more like this, like: Part 1, Part 2.. etc.

• Angela says:

I’m glad you enjoyed it! I’m just hoping people will chime in with their smell-alikes. If it works, I agree–maybe it could be an annual feature or something like that.

2. Perfume Sniffer says:

L’Artisan Seville a l’Aube is like a sickeningly sweet version of Love, Chloe.

• Angela says:

You don’t sound like much of an orange blossom fan! I’m saving up for my bottle of Seville a l’Aube right now.

• Perfume Sniffer says:

I actually adore orange blossom — but not when it’s sickeningly sweet — so I also do not like Kilian’s Sweet Redemption.
        For me, orange blossom needs to be a little refreshing, without a candy-sweet vibe, otherwise it makes me ill.

But in general I think Seville a l’Aube is a copy of Love, Chloe. Seville is just a bad version of Love, Chloe imho. I mention it because Seville seems to be a smell alike with Love, Chloe but while I really like Love, Chloe, I really do not like Seville which is over the top powdery-sweet-cotton candy mess. Lavender? I do not smell lavender.

• Angela says:

You’re lucky to prefer Love Chloé in some ways–it’s certainly easier to find and less expensive. It’s one of the nicer new-ish department store releases, that’s for sure.

• mals86 says:

… my jaw just hit the floor!

I rather enjoyed Seville and found it pleasant to wear (loved the Virtual Orange Tree on the opening), but I hated Love, Chloe. I mean, I haaaaaaaated it and its freaky soap-and-metallic-powder thing.

• mals86 says:

FWIW, I like Sweet Redemption. Most orange blossom fragrances go extremely and uncomfortably soapy on me – as if I’d walked out of the house still covered in suds from a bath.

• Angela says:

I agree about orange flower. Often it turns to “guest soap” on my skin. Not particularly sexy.

• Angela says:

Now I’m aching to try them side by side! I’m a fan of Seville a l’Aube, for sure.

• Suzy Q says:

Angela, I’ve already used up a decant of Seville a l’Aube.

• Angela says:

My few mls are just about gone, too.

• Ari says:

The opening was my favorite part of Seville too, Mals!

• ednafrau says:

I have both Love, Chloé and Seville A L’Aube and they are NOTHING alike. Perhaps your skin brings our certain notes, but – on my skin – they share nothing in common at all. Both are a bit sweet, but their honey manifests in completely different ways, and Seville is most definitely not powdery. Just an FYI for those who may not have tried them yet :)

• Angela says:

Thanks for chiming in! I admit that I don’t experience them as particularly similar, either, but I can how the powder and amber might draw a common thread.

3. Dzingnut says:

To me, Houbigant Quelques Fleurs is a dead ringer for Issey A Scent, which really surprised me!

• Angela says:

Wow–that is a surprise! I haven’t smelled either for a long time, but I clearly remember the first time I smelled Quelques Fleurs. A flight attendant on a tiny plane between Bemidji and Fargo was wearing it. She smelled divine.

4. Lys says:

Interesting! Wish I could find more smell-alikes for what I like, usually when I find a cheaper version it just convinces me to spring for a FB of the splurge. Will be interested in reading the comment thread later!

BTW IMO the only way Dzing! is smelling like Bvlgari Black is if that little tiger is running thru a hoop of flaming baby powder! >:D

• Angela says:

Bulgari Black is powdery to you? (I love the image of the tiger and flaming baby powder!)

• Perfumista8 says:

I have got to compare these two when I get home tonight. I confess that my first reaction was that they were nothing alike. I bet that I just don’t remember Dzing too well – I don’t wear it often.

• Angela says:

Do let me know what you think. I have them both in my cupboard next door, and I’ll do the experiment, too.

• Elena says:

My first impression on smelling Dzing was “Oh! Black!!” They really are pretty different, but they both have that rubber/vanilla thing going on which is so unusual that it reads as quite similar. Not so much side by side, though. I would not own both at the same time, though, Black scratches that itch for me and I would find Dzing redundant on my shelf, though I like it as well.

• Angela says:

I have both, but if I hadn’t figured out how similar they are I probably would have stuck with just one.

• Lys says:

Re: “Bulgari Black is powdery to you?,”
        A: Yes! Since I also own CdG Tar, I do appreciate that the “powdery” and sweet notes in Black’s drydown are there to give the composition interest longevity in the drydown; I think it’s hard to sustain a simple rubber accord. Oh well.

• Angela says:

To me, Black has a sweet musk in its drydown that’s similar to Dzing’s. I haven’t tried CdG Tar yet!

5. AmyT says:

Serge Lutens La Myrrhe and Chanel No. 22
    Creed Acqua Fiorentina and D&G Light Blue
    L by L.A.M.B. and Escada Tropical Punch
    Prada EDP and Jessica Simpson Fancy Nights

• Angela says:

Oh–those are some good ones! I wish La Myrrhe smelled just a little more like something I could buy easily here. It’s such a wonderful fragrance.

• ceelouise says:

La Myhrre makes me think of Chanels, even Bois des Iles. Must be the aldehydes. But it is also so unique. I think it’s that hint of Bois des Iles that intrigues me.

• Angela says:

It really is unique. Maybe it’s that hint of spice that reminds you of Bois des Iles. Now I want to be wearing both La Myrrhe and Bois des Iles!

• AmyT says:

Sadly I can afford neither. I don’t think La Myrrhe has ever joined the export line. :(

• Angela says:

You’re right–it’s not in the export line, at least not yet. Big sigh.

• raymond says:

I believe La Myrrhe is now available at Barneys.

You’re torturing me!

• Rappleyea says:

Heeheeeheee…. turnabout is fair play after all of the times you’ve tortured us with great reviews that make us HAVE to have the particular fragrance! :-D

• Angela says:

So cruel! Seriously, though, my “to buy” list is several hundred dollars long now.

• relleric says:

in delight! I’ve never sampled La Myrrhe myself, but I knew a co-worker who traveled to Paris and bought this. I have and love AG Myrrhe Ardente, how do they compare?
            What is weird is that I do not like the taste of root beer (what everyone says myrrhe smells like), but I love the smell. Ditto for licorice/anise, although I can tolerate this in small amounts in tea or biscuits.

• Angela says:

To me, La Myrrhe is more about rich, deep aldehydes and vaporous rose than it is about myrrh.

• Rappleyea says:

Angela – I’ve never tried Luten’s Myrrh, but I did sample the new Guerlain Myrrhe et Delires this weekend. It was beautiful, and I did get quite a lot of soft rose and iris in it. You might give it a whirl.

• Angela says:

Thanks for the tip! I’ve been curious about that one.

• Dawnkana says:

Butting in to say (because you guys reminded me of it ) that I think SL La Myrrhe and Keiko Mecheri Mrryh et Merveilles smell alike.

~D

6. lucasai says:

Great post Angela! I recently experienced a perfume deja vu when I tried something that reminded me of other perfume. I can’t remember what these two perfume were but I will update once I’ll recall these two alikes.
    And I love Prada Infusion d’Iris Absolue! It didn’t make to Poland yet but I got a sample from a friend who lives in the US. I may end up buying it for next spring and summer.

• Angela says:

It’s surprisingly nice, isn’t it? I think all iris fans who don’t already have Irisss or Iris Silver Mist in their hands should try it.

• lucasai says:

I haven’t tried Irisss (unfortunately, because I have a sample of every other Xerjoff) and I’ve got a sample of Iris Silver Mist (which I find extrememly hard to wear). Iris Absolue is surprisingly better than it’s parents.

• Angela says:

It’s SO much less expensive, too, so lucky for you! I hope it gets to Poland soon.

• lucasai says:

Yes, I feel lucky! And I’m proud that I love it as a Pradaholic should love it. I hope it will make it here (but there are high chances it won’t) but if not then I’ll try ordering from abroad or I’ll score a bottle when I’ll be in London (but I’ll be there next summer, little to late…)

• Lys says:

You should try Xerjoff Lucas, it’s really high quality iris. It does have a lot of clean musks tho.

• Angela says:

Those clean musks can be killers, but a nice iris is wonderful.

• lucasai says:

I think I’ll try Iriss one day, but it’s not that easy to get a sample of it at a good price.

• Merlin says:

I love Infusion d’ Iris EDP but I didn’t like the absolue at all…too rich and skanky, or something! But, I have only managed to try it once. I thought Iris Silver Mist might be more like the original because of the ‘silver mist’ part of the name and because everyone talks about carrots. Is it actually a bit more of an amber? Also wondering how Iris Poudre compares? -

• lucasai says:

Sorry Infusion d’Iris Absolue didn’t work for you, still glad that edp works. Suit yourself as they say!
          To me ISM smells like rotten carrots kept in the damp, dark and creepy cellar, literally. I don’t get amber in it at all.
          And speaking of Iris Pourdre, this one is really nice. Quite floral with a lot of powder, reminiscent of Infusion d’Iris edt or d’Homme but more sweet with vanilla and amber.

• Merlin says:

I do like Infusion d’ Homme – so maybe I would like IP…
            By the way, how do you think Id’ Homme would smell on a girl?
            I love your description of ISM – I have, have, have to try it! The description makes it sound like that famous graveyard Etro (messe d’ Minuit?)

• Angela says:

To me, Messe de Minuit is all about incense–cold, murky incense–while ISM is more about Iris and funky dirt.

• lucasai says:

Merlin, I think Infusion d’Homme would work well on a woman. I know some ladies that like it better than Infusion d’Iris

• Angela says:

Iris is such a shape shifter! To me, Iris Silver Mist is rooty, almost like turnips and dirty hair sometimes–but just sometimes–but also lushly iris. Iris Poudre, on the other hand, is a cosmetics-powder, romantic iris. Both are stunners, I think.

• Merlin says:

The only cosmetic powder scent I like is Baseur d’ Vole – is IP, at all like this?

• Angela says:

In spirit it is, but it focuses on iris rather than lily, naturally.

• lucasai says:

Yes, I get that dirty-ness in ISM too.

• PetronellaCJ says:

Infusion d’Iris Absolue is my latest love. I think I have worn it for a fortnight straight. On my skin it is far superior to the Xerjoff one (thank goodness). I still adore Iris Poudre but doesn’t feel like I necessary need to own it at the moment.
        Id’I Absolue is not only my favourite iris scent, it is also one of those rare scents I can wear absolutely without effort. The “me but better” kind as Angela once put it.

• Angela says:

You were lucky to find it! It’s a rare perfume that does the double duty of feeling effortless yet deeply beautiful.

• Merlin says:

Now I HAVE to try it again. One question: does Shalimar and/or its various flankers work on your skin. I got a similar effect to that – an effect which doesn’t work on me at all!

• lucasai says:

Glad you love it. It really is one of those scents you can put on every occasion and feel comfortable in it. And it’s price is a winner comparing to others like ISM, Iris Poudre or Xerjof Irisss

7. Dzingnut says:

Hi Lucas! I bought a bottle of the Iris Absolue blind after reading Robin’s review and I love it. Doesn’t it seem as if both the Absolue and the original Infusion d’Iris are getting alot of very positive attention recently? It seems like everyone is falling in love with both these past few months …

Angela, this is such a great idea for a post! I am hoping that someone will have a Smell Alike for Iris Silver Mist!

• lucasai says:

Hi there! I’m so happy you love it, that would be a shame it this blindbuy turned out as something bad. People are loving Infusion d’Iris Absolue and I think this encouraged them to re-discover original Infusion d’Iris. That’s so cool.

For Iris Silver Mist an alike scent might me Ramon Monegal Impossible Iris.

8. ceelouise says:

Carnal Flower and Sand and Sable?! Where is my fainting couch? I recall thinking of Rive Gauche pour Femme when I smelled Amouage Gold.

• Angela says:

Well, they have the same goal in mind, anyway! Nothing really compares to Carnal Flower, except maybe for a bouquet of real gardenias and tuberose.

Rive Gauche and Gold are both classic aldehydic florals. I thought about trying to find something that compared to Chanel No. 5, but in a way a lot of aldehydic florals compare–and yet they don’t, quite.

• ceelouise says:

I was i a garden shop in Hamburg once and I thought someone was wearing Carnal Flower! Of course it was the gardenias!

• Angela says:

I have a potted gardenia bush in my backyard next to where I like to sit and read. It was one of the smartest things I ever did to plant that bush.

9. Celestia says:

Chanel No. 5/Liu
    Kenzo Flower Summer 2006/a light version of Habit Rouge
    Aliage/Givenchy III

• Angela says:

Good ones! I bet we could come up with more Aliage comparisons, too. Something about it reminds me a bit of a fruity Cristalle, for instance.

• AmyT says:

I can also see similarities in Calandre.

• lekkerruik says:

You know, this is going to sound SO weird, but about Aliage… My mom loves it and it has only very very recently returned to South African shelves (yay!). A few years ago, upon smelling the perfume I was wearing, she said “Aliage!” And I was wearing… Sheer Obsession (the now-discontinued Obsession flanker)! And she’s right! Obviously the two differ wildly, but there most certainly is a note that chimes out of both. Can anyone explain this oddity?

• Angela says:

I haven’t tried Sheer Obsession, so I can’t comment on that, but I wonder if there’s something similar in the drydown?

10. ceelouise says:

I have to add – something in Comme des Garcons 3 made me think of the elusive Le Feu d’Issey.

• Angela says:

Hey, that’s a good tip! I’ve only smelled Le Feu d’Issey a few times, but I loved it.

11. Aparatchick says:

Hermes Un Jardin sur le Nil and Pacifica Lotus Garden.

• Angela says:

Oh, and I love it that the Pacifica fragrances are so affordable!

• odonata9 says:

I was going to post that, but you beat me to it! I actually had both and did a side by side and preferred the Pacifica! I think it was just a touch sweeter, so I sold the Hermes. Not that the Jardin’s are expensive, but nice to have the options for solid fragrance, shower gel, etc.!

• Angela says:

The Pacifica line has a lot of winners, I think. I like the Tahitian Gardenia, too.

• Aparatchick says:

I use the Pacifica body butter and the Hermes perfume. I found the Hermes perfume at a good discount, but never had any luck finding their body lotion at a discount, so this works out well for me.

• Angela says:

That is a brilliant solution. I can imagine the gardenia working well with a number of fragrances, too.

• Antje says:

Another Pacifica match is Spanish Amber and SL Ambre Sultan. I find the soap is even more of a match than the fragrance.
      Pacifica Sandalwood sometimes helps with my Theorema cravings, the juicy orange over woods is the same theme in both.

• Angela says:

Thanks! I had a Spanish Amber candle once and loved it. I might need to invest in another for winter.

• sweetgrass says:

I haven’t tried Ambre Sultan, but I do have a solid of Spanish Amber, and I really like it. I like to layer it with the Mexican Cocoa solid.

• Angela says:

That sounds almost good enough to eat!

12. daruma says:

Well there is the classic smell alike – Chanel No.5 and Coty L’Aimant.

I personally find similarities between Carnal Flower and L’Artisan La Chasse aux Papillons.

• Angela says:

It’s funny you mention L’Aimant. A friend just gave my an old L’Aimant ad. “To be a magnet – Wear a magnet” it says.

• ami says:

it is so funny Angela :)

• Angela says:

Don’t you picture someone with a big, horseshoe-shaped magnet around her neck?

13. Dusan says:

Great article, Angie! Incidentally, I was going to go back to Robin’s review of La vie est belle and comment there, but this post seems just as apt a place for that. Anyway, I was struck by how much LVEB (one of my favorite mainstream launches in a while, btw) reminds me of Hanae Mori’s HM in EdP. I guess it’s that combination of warm, doughy iris mixed with fruit and patchouli.

• Angela says:

Sounds warm, soft, and nearly edible! I’ll have to try it soon.

(I love that little dog in your gravatar!)

14. Bee says:

I had to wear Black and Dzing! side-by-side to reflect on similarities (very obvious in the drydown) and differences (at the beginning). On the topic of drydowns: I was recently wearing my aube à seville sample (thanks Denyse if you’re reading), and after several hours I started wondering who was wearing Amaranthine around me, nobody of course, that was aube, Duchaufour behind both, so very similar ending?

• Angela says:

That’s so funny about L’Aube and Amaranthine! I’ll have to try them side by side, too, and see how they wear.

15. Kris says:

I find similarities between Carnel Flower and Michael Kors.

• Angela says:

That makes a lot of sense to me since they’re both loaded with big, white flowers.

16. sweetgrass says:

I think I need to get a sample of Dzing! I’ve only tried it once in a shop, so I probably didn’t get the full experience, but I don’t remember it being like Bvlgari Black at all. I just got a bottle of Black and am really into it right now, so I think I need to revisit. I’m kind of into leather notes in general as fall approaches, so all the more reason.

• Angela says:

The similarities I smell between Black and Dzing are their rubber, leather, and musk. Black is wonderful–I’m glad you’re enjoying it.

17. rodelinda says:

After I tried Rochas Femme, I gave away my decant of Enlevement au Serail. Enlevement seemed like an expensive, watered down Femme when compared side by side.

• Angela says:

They sure do have similarities–and it’s so great to prefer Femme, since it’s so much easier to find and on the wallet.

18. Perfume Sniffer says:

Thought of another smell-alike:

Guerlain Champs Elysees and Kenzo Summer — really really similar takes on mimosa.

• Angela says:

Interesting! I haven’t tried the Kenzo, but Champs Elysees never blew me away.

• lekkerruik says:

I just find Champs sweeter and more plastickey, while Summer is more powdery. Some days Champs turns on me by mid-afternoon and I want to wash, but Summer is always perfection. But yes, very similar!

• Angela says:

I think I’d prefer Summer, too. I’ll have to try it. (My to-try list is growing because of this post!)

19. mals86 says:

Ooh, I love throwdowns!

Annick Goutal Heure Exquise and Chanel No. 19 share a goodly number of characteristics. No. 19 *does* have more of an… attitude, I suppose I could call it? where HE is cuddlier, but: galbanum, rose, iris, vetiver, musk, and thereyago. (Not sure there’s much cost difference, however.)

I adore vintage Emeraude; it’s considerably less dirty than Shalimar, IMO, maybe closer to Shalimar Eau Legere (which I also love), but it’s easy to see how similar they are in structure.

My “extremely-poor-gal’s” version of Malle Iris Poudre is Ulric de Varens pour Elle, which is as I understand it a drugstore cheapie in Europe. I bought a 50ml bottle of it for about $10 on ebay. It’s nice. It’s not quite the silky minky benzoin powder of IP (Gosh, I love that drydown), but as opposed to $300 bucks, I’ll take it for now.

(La Myrrhe smells like nothing else in the world to me. But then, it’s a favorite. I splurged on a partial bottle.)

• mals86 says:

Oh! And Amouage Ubar (the new stuff, not the vintagey) has a good deal in common with Divine edp – AND with vintage Ysatis parfum. Lemon, white florals, civet and woods.

I see it!

• FearsMice says:

Mals, you just created an instant lemming! I’ve never smelled Ubar before, but since I love vintage Ysatis, I’ll have to seek out the Amouage now. Dang it!…

• Angela says:

Hold onto your wallet around those Amouages!

• mals86 says:

Yeah, you have to watch those Amouages… one minute you’re on your high horse saying, “No way would I ever spend this much on one bottle, no WAY! Not even buying a decant! Not even going to try the sample!” And the next minute you’re frantic to find a split, because even the Amouages I don’t love are really beautiful.

• Angela says:

It sounds like we’ve been through the same thing. I swore Amouage was just an overpriced brand that couldn’t be worth its selling price, then I started sampling them. The ones I love, I really REALLY love.

• Angela says:

Gosh, I love both L’Heure Exquise and No. 19, but with No. 19 nowadays I actually prefer L’Heure Exquise. I broke my decant (drat!) but swept up the glass, and now my broom smells wonderful. Tidying up is so much more fragrant now.

20. poodle says:

I was just thinking about this topic the other day. Great minds think alike. I find Jessica Simpson Fancy Nights and Shalimar have some things in common. I owe that to Portia though. If I don’t sniff them side by side I think Peace, Love And Juicy Couture has a lot of the green qualities of Cristalle. I blind bought a bottle of Cabotine Gold for less than $10 and it reminds me a lot of Coco Madmoiselle and I actually find it smells better on me than CM.

• Angela says:

Congratulations on the Cabotine Gold! Poor Jessica Simpson gets some bashing here and there, but Fancy Nights is delicious, and I think her shoe line is fun, too.

• Marjorie Rose says:

I admit, I’ve never tried it because I can’t get over the name “fancy nights,” but comparisons to Shalimar might finally convince me!

• Angela says:

It’s not as brilliant as Shalimar (at least, not to me), but it’s a nice, warm ambery scent that scratches that “I need a new oriental now” itch for cheap.

21. RVB says:

Arquiste Aleksandr/Original Lolita Lempicka
    Frederic Malle Eau d’Hiver/Histories de Parfums 1725-not that that one is much cheaper…

• Angela says:

I MUST smell some Arquiste. All reports are that it’s a terrific line.

• Rednails says:

The Arquiste line is a total smell-alike to older perfumes. In fact, Arquiste Anima Dulce is a smell-alike to Femme and Jubilation 25.

• Angela says:

Just more evidence that I must sample this line…

• ggperfume says:

Same here!

• RVB says:

It is a terrific line.All the scents are high quality and well thought out.I especially like and own Anima Dulcis a very interesting scent with a bitter incense like cocoa absolute, vanilla, cinnamon ,and a chili infusion-dries down to a very dark chocolate incense with a floral whisper

• Angela says:

I just wish the line were easier to find. There are so many new releases in the store that it’s rare I actually order samples. I may have to do it with this one.

22. Sniffing Around says:

What about Bond No. 9 New Haarlem and Rochas Man? Both have that great coffee hit–and Rochas Man is a total bargain.

• Angela says:

I haven’t tried Rochas Man, but I really want to. I love love love Eau de Rochas.

• Aparatchick says:

This reminds me – I sampled Bond No. 9 a few years ago and it instantly reminded me of Ava Luxe Cafe Noir. Very similar to my nose.

• Angela says:

I miss Ava Luxe Cafe Noir.

• shabbus says:

Absolutely true. They are coffee mates, separated at birth!

• Angela says:

Of course, when I hear “coffee mate” I can’t help but think of that nasty powdered creamer.

23. moon_grrl says:

The original Michael Kors scent, which I think was called just “Michael”, smells exactly like Sand and Sable. Truthfully,I like Sand and Sable better because it’s less tenuous.

Calvin Klein Euphoria smells like Coco Mad, so much so I thought that was what a friend was wearing when I got into her car.

• Angela says:

Sand & Sable is one of those drugstore wonders, I think.

24. Rappleyea says:

I sampled Guerlain’s Moscou just this weekend (thanks, Daisy!), and immediately thought that it was a dead ringer for the now defunct Plus Que Jamais. Moscou was missing that chilly, metallic note of PQJ, and of course, PQJ didn’t have any of the dreaded white musk in the dry down. But other than that, I thought they were remarkably similar.

And on my skin, Traversee du Bosphore smells quite a bit like Guerlain’s Iris Ganache.

Neither of these smell-alikes are going to help the pocketbook though…. :-(

• Angela says:

Maybe they won’t help the pocketbook, but maybe–well, maybe not–one is more easy to try than the other.

• Lys says:

Did you like Moscou?

• Rappleyea says:

I liked it very much, Lys. I’m trying to decide if the musk in the deep, final dry-down is enough to keep me from buying a decant or not. Other than that, I would jump on it… and I still might. :-)

25. shabbus says:

I’ve found Armani Cuir Amethyste to be identical to Bottega Veneta.
    Also, Feminite du Bois smells similar to Dior Dolce Vita. In fact, I prefer the Dior.
    Midnight in Paris has an opening similar to Bulgari Black, but the dry down cannot hold a candle to Black.
    Recently I re-sniffed Hermes Caleche, and thought immediately of a lighter, more versatile Chanel 22. But I don’t think anything will be able to pry my hands away from my 22. Sigh – I guess I’m going to have to own both.

• mals86 says:

I like Dolce Vita better too, especially in the parfum.

• Angela says:

I love my Feminite du Bois! Although I have to admit I don’t wear it all that often.

• Angela says:

I agree that Cuir Amethyst is a lot like Bottega Veneta. What do you think of the comparison of Lady Stetson and No. 22?

• shabbus says:

Haven’t smelled Lady Stetson – I will have to hop out and try it ASAP.
        Thanks!

• Angela says:

I don’t think they’re real smell-alikes, but The Perfume Guide compared them, so you might like it. And it’s a bargain.

• ggperfume says:

A few years ago I blind-bought Lady Stetson because Tania Sanchez compared it to Chanel no 22. Sadly, it was a waste of $15. The Stetson rolled right into soft fruity-melon – not at all my taste, and not at all reminiscent of no 22.

• Angela says:

I don’t see a huge similarity, either. They’re both aldehydic florals, but that lovely incense drydown of No. 22–the reason I like it most–I don’t get in Lady Stetson.

• ggperfume says:

Exactly!

26. austenfan says:

Some have already been mentioned like Black and Dzing and Heure Exquise and Chanel no.19.
    Bvlgari Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert and L’Artisan Thé pour un Eté
    Chanel Cristalle – Biotherm Eau Vitaminée

Reading the longing for La Myrrhe above; not to make it worse but I treated myself to a bottle last June when I was in Paris.

• Angela says:

Do you love it? Have you been wearing La Myrrhe a lot?

• austenfan says:

I adore it. I got that one and Fils de Dieu. Both have had a lot of wear this summer. I think La Myrrhe may be my favourite Lutens.

• Angela says:

It’s so atypical of his style, too, but wonderful all the same.

• austenfan says:

Which is probably why I like it so much. I am less fond of his more characteristic perfumes ( although I love Ambre Sultan, Chergui, Douce Amère and Fumerie Turcque ). My favourites are TC, ISM, A la Nuit and Sarrasins.

• Angela says:

Well, your favorites sound divine.

27. Perfumista8 says:

What a great idea for an article. Thanks, Angela.

I’m glad you enjoy it!

28. Lucy says:

Gardenia and Vetiver are the only notes I can find in common, but to me Tokyo Milk’s French Kiss No. 15 is a dead ringer for Gucci Rush (my first love). It’s half the price and Rush always seems to be in danger of discontinuation.

Also, Serge Lutens Daim Blonde and Chanel Beige are very similar to me, although Beige is missing the apricot/fruitiness. I think it’s the Hawthorne I’m attracted to. Unfortunately, both are a little too pricey for me. Does anyone know of other scents like these?

• Angela says:

I know a couple of stores here that carry Tokyo Milk. I’ll have to try that one.

Daim Blonde is a tough one to match. Have you tried Mythique? It has iris rather than apricot, and it’s very sheer, but they have a similar feel to me. Maybe someone else will have a better suggestion.

• Lucy says:

I’m embarrassed to say I just had to do a search for Mythique. It sounds amazing and I will pick up a sample soon.

• Angela says:

I’m kind of a nut about Mythique. I love it. It’s big drawbacks are that it’s expensive and it doesn’t last very long.

• Lys says:

I think we are the opposite of scent twins b/c I get no Daim Blonde from Mythique, which wears very opaque and musty on me! BUT I think Mythique is a well done scent so I’m not discouraging Lucy from trying it – please do, it’s very original! But so funny, I like how fragrance has that subjective, personal aspect.

Alas, I have no twin for Daim Blonde so I’m not part of the solution here!

• Angela says:

Yes, I struggle to think of a good match for Daim Blonde, too.

29. sinnerman says:

Scent 2 nd cousins- Femme Rochas and Muscs K K by SL! Cummin and musk! I own both and the cummin note in femme helped me to over come my dislike of it In MKK! Def from the same gene pool but not brother and sister! Dzing has taken out first prize in my favorite perfume of all time! Oh my gaud , it’s beyond scent heaven !!!

• Angela says:

I really adore Dzing, too! I’m so glad you love it. Femme helped ease me into cumin, too.

30. Poppie says:

Wondering if ever you have done any similar questions about present day quality duplicates of now unavailable or badly reformulated ‘classics’ like the original Norell or Houbegant’s Chantilly? I

• Angela says:

That’s a great idea! We have done some new/vintage reviews, but not a whole bunch.

31. naomi77 says:

LOVE this article.

Lipstick Rose and YSL Paris. I know marjorie rose here is a fellow huge fan of Malle’s Lipstick Rose (I’ve gone through a FB shockingly quickly) and though I much prefer the former, it owes a lot to Paris.

• Angela says:

Both big rose violets! Both lovely, too.

• Marjorie Rose says:

Yeah, I’m nearly due for a new FB of Lipstick Rose, too! I’ve yet to try YSL Paris, but I guess I really aughta!

• Angela says:

Why not? Lipstick Rose is pretty fabulous, though.

32. austenfan says:

And another one though this is not from personal experience. Apparently Kenzo Flower is very similar to Caron’s Royal Bain de Champagne.

• Angela says:

I’ll have to try those side by side. Off the top of my head I don’t remember a resemblance, but I’d never thought to look for it, either.

• austenfan says:

It is mentioned in the Guide. The Kenzo is recommended to those who have never smelled the original Royal Bain de Champagne. Apparently Flower is a better perfume than the reformulated Caron.

• Angela says:

Sadly, I’m not surprised.

33. egabbert says:

I’ve got a bunch of these because almost everything smells like something else to me.

Mary Greenwell Plum and the original Juicy Couture, especially in parfum strength but I see it in the EDP as well.

Tendre Madeleine from Les Senteurs Gourmandes is almost identical to L de Lolita Lempicka — but they’re both very affordable.

Pretty & Pink, a recent release from DSH, reminds me a lot of PdR Rose Praline.

Elie Saab is a cross between NR for Her EDT and Alien.

Oh! And MFK Lumière Noire Pour Femme is a pretty good replacement for the sadly discontinued l’Arte di Gucci.

• egabbert says:

One more — ELDO Rossy de Palma and TF Noir de Noir.

• Angela says:

That one will make a lot of people so, so happy. I’ve heard lots of griping about Noir de Noir disappearing.

• naomi77 says:

I own a FB of noir de noir. Love it. It lasts a decent amount on me – perhaps not quite the longevity for the price, but it’s quite decent, at least on my skin.

• Angela says:

I have a generous sample and also find it lasts plenty long.

• Angela says:

Hey, those are all great ones! Thanks!

• Jill says:

Totally agree about Tendre Madeleine & L de Lempicka — was about to post the same thing!

• Marjorie Rose says:

Oh, I’ve been looking for something similar to Plum–I LOVE the opening, but the drydown leaves me a bit bored. How does the JC compare?

• mals86 says:

Jumping in here as a fellow Plum fan –

The JC edp is unwearable for me, too much watermelon Bubblicious. Bleargh. But the parfum, which I find in little 5ml carded minis at the drugstore and at Wal-Mart for about $12 each, is very close in the opening, VERY close.

Now, I *love* the drydown of Plum, nice quiet woody mossy thing, so there’s no guarantee that you get what I get, of course. I don’t like the drydown of Juicy Couture much, which is not that bad because it goes extremely quiet on me. It’s a woody caramel thing.

Let me know if you can’t find it, because I have a spare JC parfum kicking around. :)

• egabbert says:

And for my part I find the top notes different, but I think the drydowns are almost identical! We’re probably just sensitive to/noticing different aspects of them.

You can find a mini of the perfume for like $5 at Fragrancenet. Probably worth trying!

• Marjorie Rose says:

I’ll look into it. Thanks to both of you!

34. RavynG says:

I am looking for something similar to Anais Anais. I love the incense. To me it is a peppery complex white floral. I can still find it pretty cheap–but I was kinda looking for an upgrade actually. And the closest thing I can find that has that sweet dirtiness that Coty Wild Musk had in the drydown on me in my youth is Givenchy Pi. I turned 50 this passed May and I guess I am trying to regain my younger days…I have been missing something in all the modern fruit-laced vanilla juices.

• Angela says:

Hey, now that’s a good idea for a post, too: What are the “upmarket” versions of cheap favorites?

I’ll think on the Anais Anais.

35. galwaygirl001 says:

narciso rodriguez for her & Sarah Jessica Parker Lovely are smell – alikes to me – musks and patchouli

• Angela says:

Those two remind me a lot of each other, too, although more in mood and packaging (somehow). Maybe they were released around the same time, too. They do seem a lot alike.

36. stinker_kit says:

Chanel Coromandel and Davidoff Zino.

• Angela says:

I’d think Coromandel would have a number of smell-alikes. I haven’t tried Zino (love that name), but I wonder if Bois 1920 Patchouly is similar.

• Antje says:

Bois Patchouli is much more herbal and astringent compared to Coromandels round edges, but still very nice. I spent some quality time with the bois after a 10 ml decant broke on my old unfinished hardwood floor.

• Angela says:

R.I.P. Patchouly decant. Much better than a Hannah Montana spill, at least.

37. djron91 says:

Tom Ford PB Italian Cypress – Halston Z14
    Creed Virgin Island Water – B&BW Coconut Lime Verbona
    Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin – Lili Bermuda Sables
    Tom Ford PB Tobacco Vanille – LOccitane Eaux des Baux

• farouche says:

Whoops! We posted at the same time. Great minds….

• Angela says:

Great recommendations! I need to run out and sniff some Eaux des Baux now.

• sweetgrass says:

Oooh.. I need to remember this next time I’m in L’Occitane. I like Italian Cypress as well, so I need to try the Halston.

• Angela says:

I know–they’re great suggestions!

38. farouche says:

I found BBW’s Coconut Lime Verbena to be a nice and much less expensive substitute for Creed’s Virgin Island Water. Even though CLV is discontinued, it is still readily available on eBay. Great summer scent and unisex to boot!

• Angela says:

I love it when a mall fragrance is a nice substitute for something expensive and hard to find. Thanks!

39. sinnerman says:

Oh , oh , spice bomb and Tom Ford T V ! Creamy tabacco and smooth velvety vanilla! Spice bomb has a few other notes floating around but it’s def a nod to TV ! When I first smelt spice bomb it reminded me of egoiste, but they are not that similar side by side! I love egoiste, it’s a jewel in my collection ! Have enjoyed the posts today, awesome!

• Angela says:

One of the readers suggested Occitane Eaux des Baux as a TV substitute, too. Worth trying!

• egabbert says:

Another recent release that reminded me somewhat of Egoiste (a fave of mine too) was CK One Shock of Him (shockingly)

• Angela says:

I’m simply impressed you tried it! I can imagine seeing it and passing it by (and if it’s like Egoiste, regretting passing it by).

40. willread says:

Creed’s Bois du Portugal and Pierre Cardin’s Pour Monsieur.

Not only are they family–they’re twins. The only difference is that one costs around $200 and the other $20. And the cheaper came first…that’s branding for you.

• Angela says:

Great tip! And one people might not have stumbled over on their own.

41. mough says:

I discovered, to the chagrin of my bank account, Amouage’s Beloved. Oh. My. God. But, wickedly expensive. What can almost pass for it (but not as lovely, but, still) is Aromatics Elixir. I think it’s the camomile and clary sage that’s in it. Esp. if you “walk THROUGH the mist” of Aromatics Elixir and give it an hour. It’s almost 1/10th of the price, well, maybe 1/8th. But they have a nostalgic/vintage feel to them. Old classics. I sometimes add a bit of Jo Malone Orange Blossom body creme before the AE. OR I put a tiny spritz of SL A La Nuit to sweeten it a bit. Some days, all three! If you get a chance to sample Beloved, do so. It’s just heavenly. I wear it almost every day. And I never do that.

• Angela says:

I still haven’t tried Beloved, but I can tell I’m going to have to do it, dang it. This Saturday. I’m putting it on my calendar. Then, if I can’t resist it I’ll rush to a bottle of Aromatics Elixir stat.

• nozknoz says:

Mough, I think you are right. I’ve really enjoyed my sample of Beloved, but whenever I feel like I need more than that, I remember that part of the reason I like it is that it reminds me of several 1980s perfumes that I already have and which cost so much less. It is worth its price in these pale days, but hard to justify if one already has a lifetime supply of its predecessors. But someday I’ll find a way! ;-)

• Angela says:

I think you have good perspective, though. If it isn’t earth shattering, maybe there’s a substitute that’s good enough.

42. OhLily says:

Great choice of topic, Angela!

For some odd reason I tend to notice similarities more when it’s someone else wearing the fragrance. The biggest surprise that I recall – I had a friend who wore Green Irish Tweed, and some years later when I first smelled Cool Water on someone else I could have sworn they were wearing the Creed.

• Angela says:

Now that’s a good, cheap substitute. Thanks!

43. nonnanina says:

Nu by Yves St. Laurant and Donna Karan Black. Nu is a softer version and they are first cousins for sure. Love ‘em.

• Angela says:

Both are so wonderful for fall!

44. 50_Roses says:

Xerjoff Ibitira and Divine l’Ame Soeur. Even worn side-by-side, I found these two to be extremely close. Good thing for me, too, as I really liked Ibitira, but l’Ame Soeur is much, much cheaper.

Guerlain Parure (tragically discontinued) and Alexandra de Markoff Alexandra. I am not sure if Alexandra is even in production anymore, but it is readily available at the discounters for a reasonable price and is very close to Parure, to my nose at least.

• Angela says:

I love Ibitira, even though I don’t wear it much. It reminds me of a mix of No. 5 and Joy. Very romantic. L’Ame Soeur is probably my favorite of the Divine feminines, and it makes sense!

I adore Parure, too. I wonder if another rose chypre would work? I’ll have to think on that.

• ggperfume says:

You remind me that I want to try more Divine scents – l’Ame Soeur needs to head the list.

• Angela says:

The masculines are really wonderful, too. Don’t miss those. I really like L’Homme Sage.

45. shellyw says:

What a great topic. If you think of more “twins” please do another article.

• Angela says:

I’m glad you’re enjoying it, and I’ll keep the demand for another article in mind for sure.

46. nozknoz says:

I’m not much help: the only twins I can think of are more or less equally expensive, such as BK Rose Oud and the new Guerlain Rose Nacree. I guess I’d just note that Eau Sauvage, Diorella, and FM Le Parfum de Therese are all cousins. Eau Sauvage costs the least and is fresher; there are many days when I like it best.

• Angela says:

That’s a good tip. Plus, you could always layer Eau Sauvage if you wanted a more floral or fruity angle.

47. chelsea5 says:

Bobbi Brown Party is a dead ringer for the older versions of Worth’s Je Reviens.

• ggperfume says:

Must try!

• Angela says:

Wow! That’s a good tip. I must try it.

48. iloveperfume says:

Hi Angela, thank you for a great article! I am forever comparing perfumes and finding things that are quite similar. My favorite perfume for a glamorous evening out is Sisley Eau du Soir, it’s almost exact smell alike is the glorious but sadly discontinued Gucci III. A close cousin to those twins is Lancome Magie Noire, and a second cousin (who showers less often) would be Paloma Picasso (has a stronger hit of patchouli than the others in the edp, but the parfum is much closer to Eau du Soir). Do you know of any lower priced twins for some of the Killians (esp. Back to Black) or the Bond no.9′s (esp. Scent of Peace or Chinatown) or a twin for Chanel 22?

• lynetteb says:

I think Lady Stetson is very siimilar to Chanel No. 22 and what a difference in price!

• Angela says:

It’s so much cheaper! But not exactly the same. Still, it’s worth trying.

• Angela says:

I can’t think of much that has that wonderful gardenia-beeswax of Chinatown, and I’ll have to think on the By Kilians. Back to Black–that’s the tobacco one, right? Hmm.

49. Suzy Q says:

Fun post, Angela! It’s late and I haven’t gotten to all the comments yet, so maybe someone already suggested this one:

Amouage Gold and Madame Rochas

The same disclaimers apply that you mention in your post, but these two are cousins. Both were created by Guy Robert.

I agree with your other Amouage / Rochas comparison as well.

• Angela says:

Good one! And it makes so much sense, too, that both were created by Guy Robert. Thank you!

50. Rictor07 says:

I really have a ton of matchups to add, but i cant list them all, it would take too long. Here are just a few.

Parfumerie Generale Querelle = Acqua Di Portofino
    Thierry Mugler Ice Men = Lanvin L’Homme Sport
    Hanae Mori HiM = Gucci Pour Homme II
    Heeley Cardinal = Comme des Garcons Avignon
    Bond No 9 Fire Island = Paco Rabanne Pour Homme Eau
    Le Labo Chant de Bois = Montale Red Vetyver

• Angela says:

Excellent! Thanks for the list. We needed more masculines, too, so this is perfect.

51. Marjorie Rose says:

So here are a couple-three pairings I didn’t see above. . .

Parfum d’Empire Aziyade reminded me strongly of Amouage Memoir, especially after the first top notes fade (which remind me sadly of Juicy Fruit gum and prevents me from recommending it fully as a replacement to the loveliness that is Memoir, but still, nearly everything is a less-expensive option than an Amouage. . .)

Bal a Versailles reminds me of vintage, dirty Shalimar in the dry down.

Lorenzo Villoresi Teint de Neige has some similarities (heliotrope?) to FM L’eau d’Hiver, although it has more musk.

And the snark-monster in my head wants to make a big, long list of celebuscents that remind me of each other, but since I rarely keep notes on them, I can’t!

• Angela says:

I briefly considered adding some celebrity scents, too, but stopped myself for the exact same reason!

52. lynetteb says:

Ralph Lauren Safari – in that beautiful bottle = smells like Chanel No. 19. Also Lady Stetson is similar to Chanel No. 22. And Valentino Classique reminds me of Chanel No. 5. What say you?

• Angela says:

That’s interesting about Safari! I can see it. I have a mini of the parfum, and I can’t wait to try it against No. 19.

53. olenska says:

Thank you so much for bringing up L’Ombre dans L’Eau’s “maple-sweet bit”. I always thought it smelled like a salted caramel, but was afraid I only dreamed that part.

• Angela says:

It’s kind of weird, isn’t it? Once it burns off, the fragrance really changes a lot.

• egabbert says:

Yes there’s a brief stage where LODLE smells like honey on me, but then rose notes often have a honeyed aspect.

• Angela says:

I can see that. I almost wonder if there’s a hint of immortelle in there.

54. hajusuuri says:

Great article, Angela. i don’t have smell-alikes to share but want to be snarky and ask — any smell-alikes for the Clive Christians? :-)

Oh, and I visited the holy grail of perfumes at Barneys last week. I held a moment of silence in front of the SL bell jars. Far from encouraging me to go for the less expensive alternative, I now want to smell some more of the SLs, like La Myrrhe, among others. I have already mentally committed to ISM but I could be persuaded…

• Angela says:

It’s been too long since I’ve tried the Clive Christians. Frankly, it’s hard for me to take too seriously someone who designs kitchens with boiserie and chandeliers (although I’m sure he laughs all the way to the bank).

Nice on the SLs! Why not try them all? ISM is wonderful, but so is La Myrrhe. And others…

• mough says:

Probably too late to answer you, but I found that Andy Tauer’s L’Air Desert Morocain to be similar to Clive Christian’s No 1. For men. I’m pretty sure it was that and not X. I smelled it and thought, for this amount of $$ I could buy 2 bottles of Andy Tauer and be in great shape.

• Angela says:

And you will have supported a great guy rather than a dude who hangs chandeliers in the kitchen (still can’t get past that).

55. blecky says:

Can’t see the similarities between Dzing! and Bulgari Black and I’ve tried them side by side. Dzing reminds me more of Jicky, Midnight in Paris is a dead ringer for Black to me.
    I also find Tokyo Milk Dead Sexy to be the same as Diesel Zero Plus Masculine and BPAL Debauchery smells just like vintage Tabu to me.
    Great article, by the way.

• Angela says:

Thanks for the smell-alikes! You put some new ones on the list.

56. RVB says:

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille/CB I hate Perfume Smokey Tobacco-The CB scent is very similar and less cloying at half the price

• Angela says:

We’ve had a few Tobacco Vanille smell-alike recommendations. Nice!

57. Lys says:

There’s always Aramis if you can’t get vintage Cabochard.

• Angela says:

Good point. I think Bernard Chant was behind both of them, too.

• egabbert says:

Aramis also reminds me of vintage Jolie Madame! Not as violet-y but the leather chypre part is close.

• Angela says:

That’s a huge recommendation for Aramis!

58. RVB says:

Ok one more Tobacco Vanille one(can you tell I like tobacco perfumes…;) Slumberhouse Baque-Slumberhouse a small indie perfumery out of Portland Oregon has some amazingly unique scents

• Cockatoo says:

I sprayed Baque on my son the other night and he smelled like a tin of expensive tobacco all evening. Am loving Slumberhouse Rume at the moment.

• Angela says:

Is he a toddler? There’s something wonderfully perverse about a little boy smelling like an expensive tobacco store.

• Angela says:

I’m starting to think there’s no reason to shell out for Tobacco Vanille when there are so many good smell-alikes out there.

59. annemarie says:

This is a wonderful post but it has been such a helluva day that I’m too tired to suggest anything remotely clever or original! Just want to say thanks for a great read.

I adore Femme (the current formulation). I’m not sure I want to disturb my deep contentment with it by sampling something as outrageous as expensive as an Amouage … oh dear … I hope I would HATE it. :)

• Angela says:

Oh yes. It’s much better to let sleeping dogs lie.

60. pigoletto says:

FM Noir Epices = Tabu (NE being the better version, but Tabu certainly hitting the spice/orange/amber marks on a budget), and FM Iris Poudre = Ferre EDP (in the squat rectangular bottle, the one with the basmati rice/iris notes). The Ferre is actually a beautiful creation, not cheap smelling at all – quite rich and warm. These days it can be had for a song.

• Angela says:

I forgot about Ferre! Yes, I remember smelling it and thinking of Iris Poudre.

61. AirBureau says:

Just discovered it yesterday : BANG by Marc Jacobs and Poivre Samarcande are really close in smelling

62. Jillie says:

Parfum de Nicolai’s L’Eau a las Folie could be the young lovechild of Femme and Diorella!

Yves Rocher’s Rose Absolue is quite like Lancome’s Mille et Une Rose.

• Angela says:

You have just created a massive lemming for Eau a la Folie!

63. YellowLantern says:

For me Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur smells quite similar to Le Labo Labdanum 18.

• Angela says:

I’ve heard them compared, too. Thank you!

64. ceelouise says:

La Myrrhe makes me think of soap for blowing bubbles. But it is so beautiful. It truly is unique. To me, other than rose, there are no florals. It is not heavily weird like some Lutens but just beautiful and unusual. I wish I could describe it better right now. It is not green, it is not floral, it is not oriental. Yes, almost Bois des Iles without the vanilla and spices.

• Angela says:

It really is a hard one to describe, but it’s such a gorgeous fragrance.

• austenfan says:

It is just gorgeous, I only got my bottle a few months ago but I love it.

65. donix says:

I got some funny ones, Ellie Saab smells like Today from Avon and another one -new Roberto Cavalli smells for me like Avon’s Rare Gold… Also when tested Vol de Nuit it reminded me of Obsession CK, Paco Rabanne XS pour Elle smells kind of like Hypnose Lancome

• Angela says:

Thanks for adding a few Avons to the mix! I admit I’m not very familiar with their offerings.

66. sergelutencio says:

Comme des Garçons 2 Man and Gucci Pour Homme
    Fougere Bengale Parfums D’Empire and Sables Annick Goutal
    Armani Attitude and B*Men Thierry Mugler

• Angela says:

Good ones! I especially like the Sables/Fougere Bengale pairing.

67. Racine says:

I’m afraid I’m late to this thread, yesterday I got to try Diorella and reminds a lot to Cristalle. Is it me only?

• Angela says:

I bet the citrus and moss tie them together for you!

68. laurenalexis says:

I love this thread!

To me:
    –Sonoma Scent Studio’s Incense Pure is so much like Donna Karan’s Black Cashmere.
    –Fresh’s Brown Sugar is like a lighter version of Lolita Lempicka.

Also, this might sound crazy but Kloraine’s Magnolia shampoo smells so much like Gucci’s Envy to me. It takes washing your hair to a whole new level :)

• Angela says:

I can’t even imagine washing my hair with Envy! But I sure wouldn’t mind trying. Thanks!

69. PinoiPerfumista says:

Hi Angela. This is an interesting post. For me, Style by Jil Sander and Just Cavalli for Her by Roberto Cavalli smell EXACTLY the same. Mango, pink pepper, musk.

• Angela says:

Thanks! I guess that means I don’t need to rush out and try Style.

70. anhel73 says:

Annick Goutals Petite Chérie and Gucci Flora Glamorous Magnolia smell exactly the same on me, apart from the first 5 minutes or so.

• Angela says:

Thanks! I like Petite Cherie, but all the stories of it going “off” so soon have scared me. I’ll have to try the Gucci.