The most important innovation in the fragrance industry in the last 20 years

She was really behind the most important innovation in the fragrance industry in the last 20 years. She is really pushing boundaries.

— Yael Tuil of Coty, on Lady Gaga's insistence that her new fragrance, Fame, have black juice that sprays clear. Read more at Lady Gaga 'Pushed' Fragrance Industry Boundaries With First Black Perfume at Star Pulse.

1. pigoletto says:

Sorry, but didn’t Boudicca Wode ‘paint’ perfume beat them to the punch years ago? That sprayed on blue and went clear, I think.

It first stained your clothing, *then* went clear a bit later. So I guess it was slightly different ;-)

The idea that the most important innovation of the last 20 years was the color of the juice was the part that cracked me up.

• Style Spy says:

Yes. Me, too. Being as this is the FRAGRANCE industry we’re talking about. Oy. Hyperbole much?

The statement is not only hyperbole, it’s insulting to the fragrance industry (although hey, you could argue that it’s nearly true).

2. Dilana says:

I saw the same comment in Vogue and then gigled, until I a sniffed the magazine insert for the perfume. Yeah, I know it was just a paper strip, but I was underwhelmed.
    Lady Gaga strikes me as the sort who would have done some research as part of her perfume development. I find it interesting that her two perfume ideas, an pefume based on semen and blood (ELO), and a perfume that changed colors, were both ideas from niche lines. She may have strolled over to a couple of fragrance shops in NY, or maybe read a blog before attempting to mainstream them.
    However, at least based on the scent strip, a modern fruity, more like a Taylor Swift healthy brunch than the suggestive ads.

• MCocteau says:

she or the members of the marketing team at Coty, who’s job is to know everything about perfume industry, niche or not!

And I find it funny that of her 2 fragrance ideas, the one that “won” is the one that wouldn’t make it hard to sell her fragrance :-)

• zara says:

and this about sums it up for Miss Gaga music and image-wise – she loves to present herself rather loudly as a shocking and innovative artist swimming against the stream, but hey, who’s she kidding, in reality she’s rather boring, serving something that is not really shocking, just old stuff that has been ‘spray-painted’ with a bright color. (I’m not a fan, as you can tell, but will smell the perfume :)

• Kelly Red says:

I agree, it didn’t smell at all like I thought it would or should. A “black” perfume by Gaga should be heavy, mysterious, seductive…not another fruit basket. I hate this trend more then oud overload, but then at least I like oud. I refuse to smell like fruit! Blah.

• RavynG says:

all I got from the paper strip sample in Vogue was mangoes. and then MAYBE something sunflowerish or Giorgio circa 1983.

3. Lys says:

This quote is really effing stupid.

They almost can’t help it. They’ve got to make it appear that she’s done something edgy, and the black juice & the advertising is all they’ve got to work with.

4. Lys says:

Also, the “the most important innovation in the fragrance industry in the last 20 years” is an unscented element. Sickening stuff.

5. plume says:

My guess is they’re using a similar chemical for the color changing aspect as I used to find in old prank store shops, the classic “invisible ink”, could spray the stuff and freak someone out, but it quickly turned clear and left no trace.

Seriously though, if Coty thinks the greatest innovation for fragrance in 2 decades comes from changing colors then their idea of innovation in fragrance vs mine are quite different.

6. Abyss says:

̶”t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶i̶m̶p̶o̶r̶t̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶n̶o̶v̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ most pointless gimmick in the fragrance industry in the last 20 years”

Fixed it for them :)

7. bjorn says:

It will be interesting to see how well it sells. If it’s a hit, a respectable moneymaker, I think other houses will try the same colour technique. Maybe not making a black juice but I can see someone making a hot pink fluid (Hello Mariah Carey). And what is Gaga going to do for her follow-up fragrance; it will be white, of course, milky white. :)

8. Ysbrand says:

From inner sources i can assure that Gaga made the lives of people at Coty a true living hell. The fragance doesnt smell even good. And about the changing color thing, apart of being stupid, is not even new, Wode is blue and dissapears in the skin. So

9. Lys says:

The list of ingredients contains a bunch of non-perfumery elements – acrylates and co-polymers. I don’t know what percentage of the overall comp these make up, but it does make me wonder if the “color-change” components adversely affected what other perfumery ingredients could be used or were used in the composition or how they diffuse which is important to any fragrance. I’ve tried it and this “perfume” is really just a smell – it’s unable to diffuse properly. Acrylates and copolymers reduce the tendency for particles to separate, and are used to create a film, right? Can anyone speak to this?

10. Can’t speak for acrylates and copolymers, but I do know that when I asked Geza Schoen, who composed Bouddica Wode, the difference between the version that sprays on blue and the one that doesn’t, he answered that the blue one was much less concentrated because the raw materials would have interfered with the colour-changing process. So I can imagine the ingredients used in Lady Gaga’s juice were limited because of the black tint.

• RavynG says:

shouldn’t blood and semen be pink? jus sayin…

• RavynG says:

and smell like salty pennies?

• Lys says:

Thank you for the info, that’s really interesting!