Marc Jacobs Dot ~ new perfume

Marc Jacobs Dot

Marc Jacobs will launch Marc Jacobs Dot, a new fragrance named for the polka dots which frequently appear in the brand's fashions.

Dot features notes of red berries, dragon fruit, honeysuckle, jasmine, orange blossom, coconut water, vanilla, musk and driftwood.

Marc Jacobs Dot will be available in 30, 50 and 100 ml Eau de Parfum and in matching body products.

(via parfumerie.nl)

Update: Per Marc Jacobs,

There’s a juicy, lush quality to it because it felt like the right spirit for this bottle. It’s almost like a butterfly or a ladybug landing on a leaf.

Marc Jacobs Dot was developed by perfumer Annie Buzantian. (via wwd)

Another update: see a review of Marc Jacobs Dot.

1. mitsouko says:

Marc Jacobs bottles freak me out a little. This reminds me of a ladybird gone genetically wrong !

Someone just said about the same on Twitter. I’ve liked most of his bottles, but this one crosses the line.

• victoriaf says:

LOL! The ladybug was my first thought too. And then I wondered if they’ve run out of good concepts or name ideas.
        I usually like most MJ fragrances, even if they aren’t my style. They are often well crafted.

• Dilana says:

Actually, I’d love a scent called Ladybug. Maybe something very cheerful and a little childish. Maybe hyacinth and pink pepper.

• RavynG says:

It looks like a ladybug I accidently squished brushing it away from my hair…and the juice sounds like a fruit salad at the lake, or said squished ladybug guts in quantity.

2. Emma says:

I love the sound of the notes. They seem a tad incongruous with the look of the bottle though – I would have expected a bolder juice.

Hard to tell how bold it is from the notes, but the MJ women’s scents aren’t usually all that bold.

• Stevan says:

It came into our store yesterday. The official launch is next month and the soft launch is now. I must say I’m somewhat intrigued by the fragrance in a sense that I didn’t think it would smell like it does. It smells like you’re wearing watermelon jolly ranchers. It’s fresh, sweet, tart and fruity…no lie…watermelon jolly rancher is all I can think of.

3. meg says:

I think the bottle is kind of tacky-adorable! It’s the notes I find a bit frightening…

Doubt it will be a scary scent — neither Daisy nor Lola were all that scary, right?

4. Tara says:

I like the bottle in that weird “I’m not sure what I’m looking at” kinda way…..I’m not sure if it’s a mutant butterfly or mutant ladybug.

That’s two votes for, so it must be working!

5. Bee says:

dragon fruit? has anyone ever found it actually has a taste, other than being vaguely sweet? this makes me grumpy, even more than the bottle does ;-)

• mitsouko says:

Dragon fruit is sort of bland tasting and watery . The fruit is more exotic in looks than taste !

• monkeytoe says:

We have several variety growing in the yard. I am more fond of the sour ones, but the more common watermelon tasting ones are very refreshing. I would never pick one over a soursop or custard apple.

6. RusticDove says:

I don’t know why I’m commenting since I’m at a loss for words.

• poodle says:

Being at a loss for words sometimes says it all, don’t you agree? Lol. I’m right there with you.

• RusticDove says:

Actually, I finally found some words: Too – too, Trying too hard and Fail. And this is from someone who can go a little cuckoo for bottles. But not this one. LOL

7. This is cracked-out wonderful. I actually love the bottle more than Daisy and Lola because of the cracked out goodness.

Also, I am probably insane, because these notes sound appealing to me. And I do love me some polka dots.

• Tama says:

I’m with you – my first thought was “what??” and then I smiled and decided I like it. I made me think of the Moschino Olive Oyl bottle somehow, in that it is goofy and red/black. Looking forward to seeing it in person.

8. cinnamonster says:

Not sure if I like the bottle or not! This would be nicer for me if it was only the second line of notes, starting at orange blossom. Red berries are kind of a turn off for me, seem to be listed on 75% of new fragrances, unless I am just over-sensitive!

9. cinnamonster says:

Okay I made my mind up, it kind of looks like a door knob gone craft project, it’s a no for me.

• AnnE says:

LOL! :::snort::: oh excuse me, ROTFL!

• poodle says:

It does look like that. Not sure yet what I think but I do know I want to see this thing in person. It’s oddly fascinating to me.

10. sayitisntso says:

I have no words. :(

11. Karin says:

Another vote against that bottle. Looks like it exploded unsuccessfully.

12. Jill says:

I agree with cinnamonster, it looks like a “door knob gone craft project” — but that’s why I like it!

13. nicolasss says:

to me this is not a fragrance release, it’s basically a bottle release. “daisy” was a huge seller because all the girls thought the bottle was cute and that’s where “dot” is coming from, hence dot will try to please as many people as possible so that even if they don’t LOVE the scent they will still buy it for the bottle.

14. Celestia says:

Can’t wait for the summer flanker: Polka Dot Eau in pink and its body products, the “Dotted Line”! You’ll go dotty for them.

15. Emily says:

Reminds me of a molecule model, but with wings. Huh.

16. maggiecat says:

I loved the Daisy bottle but was “meh” about the scent. Fortunately, a friend liked the scent so much she went through her first bottle and bought a second – and gave me the first for my bottle collection. It’s really fun – wish I could get more from the scent itself.

17. OperaFan says:

I also find the bottle design adorable – but don’t get me wrong – I would NEVER even consider sniffing the contents inside a bottle that looks like THAT!

18. APassionateJourney says:

can’t wait to try it!

19. fleurdelys says:

Going by the bottle design, with each release Marc Jacobs is targeting a younger demographic. Who is this for, Lola’s 8-year-old sister? I expect the next one to be shaped like a rattle, for infants.

• RusticDove says:

LOL!!!

• ggperfume says:

“Goo Goo – the perfume! You’ll coo over it.”

20. littlecooling says:

Yeah, the bottle is a little scary…but for once, I think the scent, sounds a bit more interesting, that the last few, from his hand :)

21. Merlin says:

Clearly I’m in the minority but I saw the pic and went – WANT! I like the ladybird/football sitting in the wings on the top. I like it that its not trying to be pretty, romantic, sexy or elegant. It’s not trying for a minimalist or stylishly nouveau (sp?) effect. Its just wacky and endearing – but like someone said above, I would prefer it to be called Ladybug than Dot.

22. Poucette says:

Coconut water? Seriously? What does that smell like? It doesn’t even TASTE like anything.

23. OhLily says:

All fug aside, how are you supposed to hold it?

24. ChocolatEyes613 says:

I cannot decide if the bottle’s design is the funniest, scariest, or saddest thing I have ever seen. Like everyone said, it looks like a mutant ladybug on crack!

I understand that Marc Jacobs’ perfumes are easy to wear, and loved by most teens and twenty somethings- my 22 year-old sister is his biggest fan. But, I cannot figure out who the target demographic is with Dot…. 6 year-olds perhaps. Maybe this will be Marc Jacobs perfume that flops!

25. Omega says:

That’s too funny! Haha, I like MJ scents a bit, I have Daisy and yes I kinda dig the bottle but……..LOL!

It looks like a ladybug that swallowed a firecracker and went BOOM!

HAha! LOL! Dot? Haha, Um, alright!

26. miss kitty v. says:

I LOVE the bottle!! Adorkable! It’s so dumb it’s cute! I might stock up on it now, since I know a few people it would make a great gift for. Now, the scent itself…Ehhhhhhhhhh…too fruity, and fruity generally makes me gag. Fruity-musky and fruity-woodsy are even worse.

27. OK, I’m a contrarian. I like the bottle. I wasn’t crazy about the obvious Daisy, but I like this. The fragrance, I dunno—musk and driftwood and the scary “red berries.” (Bet it’s strawberries and raspberries, not firethorn or pyracantha). The bottle is asymmetrical and interesting. And meanwhile, Marc Jacobs, in the last photo I saw of him, is walking around in a polo-shirt, knee-length dress and a 3/4-length coat and socks and shoes. If you are going to wear a dress, shave your legs and wear pumps.

• dilettante perfumista says:

yes, I saw them making fun of his outfit on fashion police! Quite the getup! His fragrances have become so young and un-sophisticated since the original mj, much like his personal style imo.

28. jrose77 says:

This fragrance seem like it’s aiming for an even younger group than Daisy. How is that even possible?

Contrary to most fragrance aficionados, I’m of college-age and through my experience, many college girls wear Daisy – I smell it all the time on others. So for me, Dot is a high school girl’s fragrance.

29. basia says:

Red is my favorite color but I could not possibly have this bottle on my dresser – even if I thought I would like the fragrance!

30. nozknoz says:

I like the cap – it’s a dot flower! Not sure about the bottle itself – would have to see it in the round. Zero interest in the perfume. Maybe there are empty Daisy bottles on ebay….

31. jonr951 says:

Does anyone know when Dot will launch? I’m not going to be able to resist that CRAZY FUN bottle. : )

32. pepe71 says:

when jeff koons meets marc jacobs and the ladybugs are watching the scenario from above .
    kitchy kitchy bang bang…

33. parfumnut says:

Love the bottle adorably artsy in a way……looking forward to seeing it in person.

34. cazaubon says:

WANT!! I will be buying 2 bottles – one for my mom (whose nickname is Dot) and one for myself (my puppy girl is named after her grandma – we need one for us too!)

35. eminere says:

A diseased ladybug?

36. thenoseknows says:

Personally the bottle looks pretty Whimsical to me… nothing over the top… Yes a little ladybug-ish, but also it’s just a round bottle with a round top and some flowers stuck on the side. is that really so garish and appalling? yeah it has the big black… Shall we call them “Wings” on top but if not for those the bottle would be Yawn inducingly generic and you would all be saying he missed the mark by it NOT being as whimsical as Lola or Daisy… Oh Well! The Juice sounds KNOCKOUT, Coconut Water and Vanilla do it for me all the time.. so cannot wait to smell this! and i love the smell of Dragon fruit too… so sounds like a winner!