Dolce & Gabbana Velvet Collection ~ new fragrances

Dolce & Gabbana Velvet Collection

Dolce & Gabbana have launched the Velvet Collection, six new fragrances "designed as a tribute to the designers’ sartorial heritage and their natural ability to pinpoint the essence of Mediterranean indulgence."

Velvet Sublime ~ "The inspiration for Dolce & Gabbana Velvet Sublime is the orange groves of Sicily. Velvet Sublime radiates a sun-warmed effect with a splash of Sicilian mandarin. Joyful orange blossom and neroli reveal their crisp, dewy petals."

Velvet Love ~ "The inspiration for Dolce & Gabbana Velvet Love is the carnations of Lake Como. This fragrance’s redolent carnation flowers envelop oriental notes, giving in to an exhilarating rush of ylang ylang and pepper."

Velvet Desire ~ "The inspiration behind Dolce & Gabbana Velvet Desire is the Renaissance period. This fragrance’s fulsome white flowers provoke an explosion of gardenia and intoxicating tuberose, whilst a hint of frangipani offers a sophisticated flourish."

Velvet Vetiver ~ "The inspiration for Dolce & Gabbana Velvet Vetiver is the scent of the Mediterranean Summer. “Vetiver: a tantalizing scent replete with elegance and classic perfection. I wore it as a boy to feel as an adult.” Domenico Dolce. This fragrance has a classic, sumptuous cologne effect of vetiver and galbanum blended with a contemporary pique of Mediterranean fig."

Velvet Wood ~ "The inspiration for Dolce & Gabbana Velvet Wood is lacquered wood. This rich ebony wood fragrance offers profound depth, with warm resinous notes yielding to attractive benzoin and refined black leather scents."

Velvet Patchouli ~ "The inspiration for Dolce & Gabbana Velvet Patchouli is iconic incense. “Patchouli: the first fragrance I felt really belonged to me. It became my statement scent.” Stefano Gabbana. Velvet Patchouli is an intense, luxurious patchouli oil drenched with kephalis that cedes to a rich, musky presence."

The Dolce & Gabbana Velvet Collection fragrances can be found now at Harrods in the UK, 50 ml Eau de Parfum for £120 each.

(first quote via thegroomingguide, all subsequent quotes via harrods, hat tip to Renaud!)

1. Lammy says:

oo this is exciting :) cant wait to sniff sublime, love and wood.
    any idea when these will be released?

They’re already released — Harrods has them.

2. Rictor07 says:

those are nice looking bottles, but the gigantic caps make them look really small. This proves D&G can actually come up with new things, of course i doubt we will see anything here in the states except more flankers for The One.

I am not liking the cap either, and as of yet have no reason to suppose D&G can do fragrance worth paying this much for — but maybe I’ll get to smell them and then I’ll see :-)

3. nathanthomas50 says:

Whats the world coming to when D&G are releasing fragrances at the same price point as Tom Fords Private Blends – can’t be long before mister Ford hikes his prices to remain ‘exclusive’. The little ‘screw-on’ effect gold plaque on the bottles is very reminiscent of Mr Fords recent Violet Blond also which used the same idea. Agree with the comment that the lids make the bottle look out of proportion – though not quite as top heavy as Nasomatto’s!

What can I say — everybody wants their piece of the pie. I don’t think the Tom Fords are worth what he charges for them, and seriously doubt he was the first to use that sort of metal label.

• nathanthomas50 says:

Its true, but some people should stay away from the pie!! I find a Tom Ford frag at £120 less objectionable than a D&G range at £120 (or the recent Hugo Boss ‘niche’ range at £110 each) as it buys into the stratospheric pricing of the rest of his brand. D&G frags have always been mass market department store fragrances (i would class these as any fragrance which creates an obligatory Christmas Gift Set Coffret !). They should learn that creating a sub-brand & slapping a big price tag on it doesnt make you niche, or luxury if the main brand is still peddling mass market fragrance. I wish companies would stick to doing what they do well & not get distracted by the lustre of luxury!

We shall have to agree to disagree on this point. The fact that TF charges too much for everything he makes, not just the fragrance, doesn’t strike me as a selling point….and his charging too much for his private blends doesn’t make them niche, or luxury, in my book either — just overpriced. So not arguing about D&G per se, although for all I know these are fabulous, just saying nobody owns the market on aspirational pricing, although you’re certainly right that TF’s “niche” collection will probably do better because he hasn’t diluted his brand image with stuff like the D&G Fragrance Anthology.

• nathanthomas50 says:

Oh Robin, i totally agree! TF PB’s were maybe slightly ‘niche’ originally when only a couple of stores carried them but now theyre everywhere & are almost as mass market as his signature range. I didnt mean that the exorbitant prices he charges were a selling point – just that everything he sells has an exorbitant price ($650 for an off the peg shirt!) so expensive frags fits into that price architecture. As you say, people have to want to buy into a brand & something that dilutes the brand – like the D&G fragrance archive – doesn’t help when you then want to go ‘luxury’ with your next range

4. sacre bleu says:

Re: price points – – feeling grateful that if I never buy another bottle of perfume in my life, I have plenty to wear and some to spare !

5. And why are these £120 a bottle? D&G doesn’t exactly strike me as sublime luxury when it comes to perfumes.

• kaos.geo says:

Yes! and for context.. the Tarot collection has a lovely packaging and a great ad campaign.. but the frags are totally meh IMHO, not exactly CHEAP smelling but maybe just a notch above cheap.
      It is not a good track record…. Still I will try them when I get the chance.. but this is a lot of money.

A very tiny notch, if any!

• kaos.geo says:

LOL Robin! :-)

I guess I have a very tiny notch lower expectations than you ;-) hehehehe

6. nathanthomas50 says:

Niche & luxury becomes the new commonplace as everyone wants a bigger piece of the expanding luxury market & broadens their distribution & creates ever more sub-brands to cater to the market. I quite like having small local brands that you have to make an effort to find & try. Its becoming like the high street where whichever town you go to all the stores are the same :-(

7. pigoletto says:

I take it that first awful multi-bottle collection of theirs a couple years ago sold well enough for them to go the ‘higher end’ route in the same style. Here’s to hoping it’s better this time.

8. littlecooling says:

Oh, these looks and sounds kinda interesting. Much better, than the watery numbers, perfumes…or toilet waters, as I call them :D I like the bottles and I hope they will be released world wide! Sometimes the fragrances, do not come around in Denmark. But we have all the D&G perfumes, so fingers crossed.

9. breathesgelatin says:

This will not stop until EVERY luxury brand has a “Les Exclusifs” or “Private Blend” type of line.

10. BChant says:

I generally like D&G’s line since they are fairly pleasant and attractive in a compact sort of way. They are by no means great perfumes though. I cannot imagine these being any better than the Anthology line they released some time ago.

11. Kitty says:

Unless fabulous reviews of these fragrances start apprearing, I’m going to save my pennies for Amouage, L’Artisan, Serge, … the commonplace stuff! (altho I love me some Chanel Exclusifs).

12. Bonbori says:

I feel like I just woke up five years in the future — YSL Collection, Snookie Perfume and these bizarre looking D&G things.

These look and sound annoying. Prove me wrong D&G.

13. debbie says:

Oh….Velvet Love, I love carnation scents.

14. MkSnovak says:

Very interested in the Patchouli.

15. Stefanie says:

Although I agree the price point seems far too high, especially considering D&G has yet to produce anything which really grabs my attention (and the Anthology collection was particularly disappointing) but I must admit the descriptions do sound interesting…

16. djron91 says:

My friend just spotted these at the Saks 5th Avenue in the Bal Harbour mall (South Florida).