Givenchy Poetry of a Winter Fragrance ~ new perfumes

Givenchy Ange ou Démon Le Secret Santal d'Hiver

Givenchy has launched a new limited edition winter collection, Poetry of a Winter Fragrance / Poésie d'un parfum d'Hiver, comprising new variations on their Ange ou Démon and Very Irrésistible fragrances for women. The new scents evoke "an imaginary journey to the heart of winter" and feature warm wood notes.

Ange ou Démon Le Secret Santal d'Hiver (shown) ~ a fruity floral with sandalwood and gaiac wood.

Very Irrésistible Givenchy Cèdre d'Hiver ~ a floral woody musk with Atlas and Virginia cedar notes.

Both fragrances are available in 50 ml. (via parfumsgivenchy.fr, conseillere-de-beaute.fr, parfums-tendance.fr)

1. becca b says:

Too bad neither of them were exceptional to begin with! Maybe these will be improvements? Bah.

They are not my favorites, but they’re probably G’s biggest sellers.

2. Nile Goddess says:

They are very light for winter fairytales, they are barely a whisper on the skin at normal room temperature. If your idea of winter heaven is frozen windows, a crackling fire and Dean Martin playing, you may wish to wear a fragrance with more presence.

I actually like Very Irresistibe Cendre D’Hiver, and if a bottle were to drop from Santa’s Bag, I’d wear it happily to work. But Santa knows there are other fragrances that would make me a lot happier. :-D

Thanks! Surprised they aren’t heavier/woodier.

• Nile Goddess says:

For Ange ou Demon Hiver they used AuD Le Secret, the one in a pink bottle, and not the original, heavier Ange ou Demon.

Has anyone else but me wondered why Lancome made a pink Hypnose that is not actually a flanker of the original, and Givenchy made a pink Ange ou Demon that is not a flanker, and Calvin Klein made a pink Euphoria that is not a flanker, and Guerlain made a pink Insolence that is not a flanker? Gee, you can probably create a thread called “Pink Non-Flankers” and many more PNF’s may be discovered.

As for Very Irresistible, it was never heavy, even in its heaviest version. Parfum D’Hiver even has the light pepperminty note of the summer version, for the first 15 minutes.

Unfortunately the base notes are quite generic cedarwood, not that I don’t like cedarwood but if it’s good cedarwood I yearn for then I reach for Feminite du Bois or its happier younger sister Dolce Vita. This one doesn’t even come close.

3. FragrantWitch says:

Where is the winter Organza Indecence?? That would be a thing of beauty- if done properly!

Agree! But it doesn’t sell.

• wondermelmo says:

I could get on board with that too! But sadly, Robin’s right. Even the reps I work with admit it doesn’t sell.

4. Dzingnut says:

Why can’t Givenchy just make it easier to find Givenchy III and skip the dull stuff (grumble grumble grumble)??

:-(

• annemarie says:

Indeed. And why did they re-release their great classics in those huge, cold, dreary 100 ml bottles? And why, indeed, doesn’t Givenchy just make great fragrances, like it used to?

5. hongkongmom says:

pass, phew

6. Owen says:

I didn’t really like Ange ou Demn original
    Le Secret is way better

7. Naie says:

Beautiful names, but I’m not crazy about the scent descriptions.

8. Manna says:

I’d like to see L’Instant D’Hiver. Not only 18-years old people use fragrance, dear Givenchy!

9. mmjunkie says:

I actually really like Very Irrésistible Givenchy Cèdre d’Hiver. Every time I go to Macy’s or Dillard’s I spritz some on. However, I don’t want to drop $73 on a 50 ml bottle. While it’s nice, it’s not that special. Seems reminiscent of something else I have. It is rather light for a fall/winter fragrance too. I am curious if a limited edition fragrance like this might end up at the discounters (not online) like TJ Maxx, etc. or even Costco. Then I might be tempted to pick up a bottle.

I did, however, pick up a bottle of Organza Indecence which I’d been lemming forever.

10. Marjorie Rose says:

I’m new to the fabulous world of fragrance, but the G A ou D: Le Secret is one of the two bottles I bought to *start* my collection (yeah, in about 2 months time, I’m already up to 4 plus loads of samples). Maybe not super original, but coming to it without any preconceptions, I really like it. It is soft and the fruit is more citrus (they say cranberry, but I can’t tell the difference) rather than bubblegum like some of the others I’ve smelled. It sits close to the skin, but gives a lovely whiff when someone gets close.

Just thought I’d add my 2 (s)cents for other lurkers who might encounter this review and assume it’s not worth a try.