Chanel Bleu de Chanel ~ new fragrance

Gaspard Ulliel with Martin Scorsese, Bleu de Chanel

Chanel will launch Bleu de Chanel, a new fragrance for men, in late summer. The name is taken from a Chanel fragrance of the 1930s. The advertising will feature French actor Gaspard Ulliel directed by Martin Scorsese (shown above).

Bleu de Chanel is a woody aromatic by Chanel's house perfume Jacques Polge; the notes feature pink peppercorn, citrus, peppermint, nutmeg, vetiver, grapefruit, cedar, labdanum, jasmine, incense, patchouli, ginger and sandalwood.

Chanel Bleu de Chanel is due to launch in France on 19 August. I will update with sizes and concentration when I can find them. (via cosmeticnews, additional information via veraclasse.it)

Bleu de Chanel cologne for men

Update: the bottle for Bleu de Chanel is shown above.

Another update: Bleu de Chanel will be available in 50 and 100 ml Eau de Toilette. (via wwd)

Yet another update: see a review of Bleu de Chanel.

1. I hope they come up with something new for women, too and not just another flanker.
    Something that is not entirely designes to mass market… Sigh.
    I was already very disappointed about the re-release of the classic lipstick line, boring, boring, boring.

It is okay CHANEL needs to sell but they are losing their USP!

I wish they’d do another for the Les Exclusifs…

• mjr says:

Ooo me too, Robin. You hear that Chanel? It’s time for another LE!

• Karin says:

In smaller bottles, too. :-)

• thenoseknows says:

I agree TOTALLY! I remarked about that some time ago, wish Polge would do a revisit to No. 46 or No. 11 or Ivoire or No. 21… maybe even No.20! maybe he should introduce the MODERNIZED versions of all of the above to Les Excusifs! I’d Be as happy as a lark if he did! OR…. Just create something FABULOUSLY New! Am SOOOOO Tiring of The Chance Flankers and all the other Flankers (as good as they are, STILL FLANKERS!) and hope to The House That Coco Built introduces something SPECTACULAR soon! For Les Femmes, that is!

2. mjr says:

Oh, I can’t want for this to launch! Scorsese is an interesting choice.

I’m hoping BdC is on par with other great major-release masculines, such as Terre d’Hermès, but judging from the notes, who knows? (the persistence of pink peppercorn continues…) Crossing my fingers :) As an aside, I wonder why they couldn’t just revive the old 1930s fragrance and give it a modern tweak…

• You’re right. I’ve been seeing alot of the pink peppercorn note around lately.

My fingers crossed too…

• ggperfume says:

“The Persistence of Pink Peppercorn” sounds like the title of a poem or novel. Or a song title. Or the name of a band. . .

3. kaos.geo says:

Well, this will be the first Chanel for men in a while that is not either a flanker or the men’s version of a women’s frag (yes allure, I’m talking to you!)

Antaeus is a favourite of my brother and I. The other Chanels for men are just “not me”. Either too dry or too “Posh Sports Scents”…

I am exited!!! :-D

• kaos.geo says:

Oh well.. there goes my assumption… It looks that “Le Bleu de Chanel” was a WOMENS frag of the 1930′s… Ok, I’ll try it anyway! :-)

• Rictor07 says:

I agree Antaeus is probably my favorite Chanel, but i have never owned a bottle of Chanel and may never own one, but we will see about this new one. Im not quite sure whats bleu about it yet.

I did think Allure Homme Edition Blanche was great, but yes, it’s been a long time since they did something really new for men.

4. Hmmmm. Could be nice.

5. Bear says:

Hopefully this will TRY to be as artful as Egoiste and Antaeus, not just another formulated-by-commitee scent. I really liked Allure Homme for about six months, and then it became very ‘eh’. Tons of compliments but I still rarely wear it. Maybe that says more about me than Allure.

6. Joe says:

Excited, yes, but — as a man — I have to say that most fragrances that fall into the usual “masculine” category tend to not work for me too well. Not that I trend super-femme in my choices, but “men’s fragrance” often tend to be too similarly woody/aromatic/herbaceous if any of you know what I mean. Again, that’s just a trend I notice, and there are many fine exceptions.

Still, I think Allure Homme Edition Blanche is on the list of best men’s fragrances launched in the last few years, so there’s hope that Chanel will pull this off!

• abirae says:

I was happy to find Edition Blanche at my local Sephora. It’s my new go-to spritz.

Also, the new Burberry Sport for Women reminds me very much of Edition Blanche.

• Oh, I know exactly what you mean! My SO could never wear a “male” fragrance since he has very light skin, it just does not fit. He wears unisex frags (I bought for me)…
      I do not like the similar massmarket “male” scents anymore.

7. jonr951 says:

I cant wait for this one!! Im very excited for the new mens releases coming this yr. I dont know if this can beat my beloved Allure Blanche but is sounds like it might. : )

8. prism says:

the ‘Blue’ scared me for a second cause it sounded like another aquatic…

but with a ‘woody aromatic’ they clearly are aiming at the average joe customer these days…

9. Tim says:

Lots of hope riding on this. I like the idea of a remake in competent hands. I wear Egoiste, Antaeus, some of the frags for women and exclusifs- also original pour monsieur EDT( I wish they would put it on the North American site for sale!). I can’t wait to try Bleu.

10. eminere says:

OMG Gaspard Ulliel! *faints*

11. olivera says:

Didn’t take long, someone has listed a bottle on eBay.

12. savovu says:

As I wrote somewhere else, it is now 15 days that I’m using it and here are my impressions:

Well, I have received now a 50ml spray bottle. I was surprised of the fragrance itself, but far away to say it is an AXE deodorant tipe of smell. Just as you can see from the package ( dark blue glass, bold and sharp bottlle and yes, it has an les exclusifes look a like magnetic cap ) it is a strong male parfume, with a lot of character and very traditional. I’m not so good in explaning the parfiume sensations in words, but it is male, virile, forced with not even one flower, sweet note or femminine lookalike note. First sprayed it is vibrant and you smell some citrus but very soon, and for a very looong time after that the core is what remains. Sandalwood, benzene and some small vetyver and cedarwood I’d say. Strong, persistant and after few hours I liked it moore. It is clear that Chanel made it with a lot of effort, quality, and sense, but I would place it to an older, more serious kind of man (well dressed and much less sprtive than me with my 37 years).

It is worth of trying, and give him the second chance, it has his own character.

Savo, Milano, ITALIA

Thanks, that’s the first review I’ve seen!

13. Tim says:

My local Dillards had a tester- no product though. It ‘s a tad better than the other “smell like a Guy” choices at the men ‘s counter. I was already wearing too much to try it on myself. On paper it does remind you of AXE with a huge budget. Even if it is better on skin- I suspect it is- it recycles least interesting parts of Edition Blanche, the loud woody part. It gets much better as it goes- you get many of the notes described above- I am not sure it can overcome it’s overwhelming “Men ‘s fragrance” opening because that part is loud and oddly unoriginal. The exclusif cap must be a mean joke

My Bloomies had a tester too. Based on a very quick test on paper, not nearly as good as Edition Blanche. Agree about the utterly generic opening.

14. APassionateJourney says:

Smelled it at Macy’s on August 3rd. Smelled great on paper. On my skin, it turned into a clean, lemony citrus scent that I’ve smelled thousands of times before in colognes. I got a sample so I’ll probably force myself to like it

15. Andrewthecologneguy says:

I smelled this yesterday and I too thought wha tthe heck is this generic jus from such a reputable house as Chanel? I sprayed some on my skin and after half an hour dismissed it as another marketing and profit scheme. Then as the day went on, an intriguing odor kept grabbing my attention. I had five different fragrances strategically placed on both hand/arm skin so I began sniffing away. I erroneously identified the wonderful aroma as Bois 1920′s Classic 1920.

Loog story short…Bleu de Chanel is all about the dry down. What you get is a very Allure-esque aura with the spices and oriental edge replaced with a woody manly tip, resulting in an electrifying ‘blue’ scent. This fills the room much like Allure does, and I am in love. Now I must fight the urge to collect all things Chanel for men.

16. feelslike says:

The first sniff is a crushing disappointment, boring, soapy, forgettable, etc. Besides, the liquid is quite oily, and if you spray it generously, your skin would get quite greasy, which in summer heat is not very pleasant. I sniffed it for a week on me with open attitude, and now have to admit that it did not wok at all… The only layer to consider would emerge after ten hours of wearing, and that perhaps would be patchouli, reminding you vaguely of the ladies’ Chance eau de parfum. A failure, on many accounts, including irrelevant advertising and discouraging packaging.

17. henry says:

Its nice but easygoing…Smells very good but I think I would prefer a eau de parfum version of it…Its a beautifull background but there is no performance. Classic 2010. Chanel never make mistakes but I expected more exitement….I wear it at official party’s because its absolulty special !

18. jonr951 says:

Yeah I’m a little disappointed in this one. It’s nice but nothing special at all. I was just expecting more. Oh well. I’ll stick with my love Edition Blanche. Although if someone were to get me a bottle, I’d wear it. : )