UK Fifi Awards 2010 ~ the winners

UK Fifi Awards logo

The Fragrance Foundation UK held their annual Fifi Awards ceremony today in London, and the winners are:

Best New Prestige Fragrance

Women's: Marc Jacobs Lola

Men's: Tom Ford Grey Vetiver

Best New Fragrance in Limited Distribution

Women's: Chanel Beige

Men's: Tom Ford Italian Cypress

Best New Niche Fragrance (with Basenotes.net)

Frederic Malle Géranium pour Monsieur

There are lots of other categories — you can find all the winners on the Basenotes page at Twitter. (via basenotes/twitter)

See also: the Fragrance Awards page.

1. Isa says:

Lola? I tried it months ago and I didn’t find anything special in it . I can’t remember how it smelt like -something sweet and floral-, but I thought “boring, nothing new”. Maybe I could give it another chance, however that cap is not, and will never be, to my liking.

Anyway, congratulation to all the winners.

Not a favorite of mine either, but I did love that bottle!

• scentsappeal says:

The fragrance itself is nice enough, inoffensive, but certainly not unique. The bottle however is lovely, and I couldn’t resist getting it based on that. Makes for a nice (but costly) dresser top decoration.

2. jonr951 says:

Im SOOO over Lola! It actually makes me sick now. I got it for my sister for xmas and she puts so much on everytime!! It really bothers me now! I simply just cant stand it! Its gross! I tell her, Lola just needs one spray but she puts on 5 or 6! Its scary! Plus it wasnt even that fantastic to begin with. I sure hope it didnt just win for the packaging and sales. And I enjoy Grey Vetiver. Im glad that won. : )

Yes, that was better than the usual.

• maggiecat says:

I feel ya here – my sister over-applies fragrance and i can now no longer tolerate Pleasures, a perfectly nice scent that I used to like. Funny that we who love our scents so much can be so sensitive to their application strength, but there it is.

3. BChant says:

The fact that the winners of these awards are pretty much boring year after year should be of no surprise to anyone. Most awards do not award achievement, but rather are political in nature. I do not like to be so cynical, but I fear it is warranted.

So true, but I did think the limited distribution awards (and the niche!) were better picks than usual.

• BChant says:

You do have a point there. We should always look at what was done right.

4. Heiress says:

I guess TF Grey Vetiver is well done – I would even call it very handsome, but it sadly went ‘sweaty’ on my skin after a few hours. It transformed into a cloying sort of BO I really cannot live with.

And…every bit of me desires a bottle of Chanel Beige. Oy. Congratulations to the winners!

Beige is really well done. Still like 28 La Pausa way better. And Bel Respiro. Wish we could all have a bottle of our favorite Exclusif!

5. NaturalSelektion says:

Interesting…I absolutely hate Marc Jacobs Lola. It doesnt seem interesting enough for me, I guess the same can be said for Daisy, although I do own that one. Love love love Tom Ford especially Black Orchid Voile de Fleur and Tuscan Leather. I was actually disappointed with the Grey Vetiver. I just purchased my first expensive bottle yesterday at Barneys. I bought Frederic Malle Carnal Flower and received a sample of Iris Poudre along with the creme. Placed a huge sample order from perfumedcourt and I cant wait to see what other riches I discover.

Carnal Flower is gorgeous, congrats!

6. Craig Su says:

Lola is just overtly sweet on paper, or on anything else. Of course the bottle is really chic. But the good thing about Lola is this: The drydown is nice, but that’s one day after spraying on paper.

Lola is well done but I found it dull. Still, a very successful mainstream launch and I think that’s what usually wins.

7. I really like Chanel Beige, but when it came up in the specialists’ jury where I sat for the French Fifis, it was pronounced a little… boring compared to other selections.
    I’m glad our finalist Géranium pour Monsieur, which ended up number two after Cartier La Treizième Heure, was selected by Basenotes readers, though I’m sorry Les Nez Manoumalia, which was on the short list, didn’t get the award.
    Apart from the Basenotes vote, I’m not sure who voted on the other awards though.

8. Robin says:

Thanks.

9. scentsappeal says:

Beige is one of my lemmings, looking forward to trying it. I hope it’s not packed with aldehydes.

Don’t worry — it’s not heavily aldehydic.

10. maggiecat says:

I loved most of the Exclusifs, but wasn’t wild about Beige, thogh I wanted to be. And Lola struck me as just sort of ok, although the bottle is very fun and I can see why it would sell well. I enjoy reading the awards, but as for me – I like what I like regardless of what anyone says!

11. nozknoz says:

I like the FM Geranium very much for day, so I’m glad to see it get a nod. Looking for time to get to Saks to try La Treizième Heure…

One day maybe I’ll break down & go to Saks too.

12. jepster says: