Nicole Miller Frenzy ~ new fragrance

Nicole Miller Frenzy perfume advert

Nicole Miller will launch Frenzy, her debut fragrance for women under new licensing arrangements with Parlux (three prior fragrances under arrangements with Riviera were discontinued, but are now slated to be reintroduced). Miller has noted that...

I don’t like most perfumes. I find them too florally or too old. My clothes don’t age people so I wanted that same kind of fragrance that was young and modern.

Frenzy is a modern chypre developed by perfumer Caroline Sabas, and is described as "warm and sexy" and "embodying the spirit of playful femininity and modern sophistication". The fragrance notes include cassis sorbet, orange, clean aldehydes, yellow gardenia, ylang ylang, orange blossom, violet leaves, black patchouli, oakmoss, cedar and amber.

Nicole Miller Frenzy will launch in August, and will be available in 50 ($65) and 100 ml ($95) Eau de Parfum and in matching body products. The Frenzy bottle design features a "metal celtic knot design inspired by Miller’s apparel prints".

(first quote via wwd, subsequent quotes and additional information via press release)

Update: the Nicole Miller fragrance, now called simply Nicole Miller (no idea what happened to Frenzy), is finally launching at Saks in April 2010.

1. Daisy says:

I just hope that model in the ad is wearing underpants! nuff said.

LOL…whether she is or not, I love that ad (and the dress, although I couldn’t wear that color in a million years).

• Tama says:

Daisy, you took the words right out of my mouth.

2. bergere says:

Lot of flowers for someone who hates “florally” perfume. And has anyone ever smelled a dirty aldehyde?

But if it’s truly a modern chypre, it won’t smell heavily floral, right? And I suppose some aldehydes smell cleaner than others…I took this to mean soapy, but we’ll have to wait & see.

3. Bunny says:

“My clothes don’t age people…”

I dunno…. I think I would age rapidly having to carry around that much fabric lol

Am I the only one that likes the dress?

• Daisy says:

I’d wear it if it were dark purple or maybe red……but then where in the world would I wear it?? (not exactly gardening clothes) ;-)

• Bunny says:

Those colours sound better, but I can’t help but feel the dress would eat me alive. lol Maybe I’m just thinking I’m skinnier than I am…

• Tara says:

I love the dress and that bronze color!! I wish I had the type of lifestyle that called for such clothes, but alas I don’t….

The bottle, however, screams “old lady” to me….

• boojum says:

No, I like it. And it’s the color of the wedding dress I never wore, that is still hanging in the back of my closet. Sigh. Rather doubt I’d ever fit back into it now, which is a shame…I could wear it for something else.

• SmokeyToes says:

Nope, I love it, although I would have to do endless amounts of yoga and eat lots of salad to pull that one off!

• mals86 says:

I’d like to see my sister, with her gorrrrgeous coppery-bronze hair, in that dress. (How come SHE got the pretty hair??? And why, at the age of 41, do I care?)

And I rather like the shape of the bottle. (Old lady or not.)

• Daisy says:

You too can have coppery hair…. this is what you do….look closely in the mirror and then announce that you have detected GRAY hairs and need to go get your hair dyed….this is key: you don’t really need to find gray hairs…the truth is discretionary in this case.

• Existentialist says:

I like it too , although it is too young for me.

4. boojum says:

I think I’d better sit this one out.

• Daisy says:

hey Boo—any shipping notice on the Lyric yet?

• boojum says:

hey, no, although that’s not surprising since I ordered over the phone…

Yeah? Why?

• boojum says:

LOL, don’t get me started, now! It began with the word (and I use that term loosely) “florally”.

OK, LOL…I will not get you started!

• Joe says:

That’s hilarious!

Florally yours,
          Joe

5. Sunnyfunny says:

What’s a clean aldehyde, as opposed to an unwashed aldehyde?

Ha! But some aldehydes don’t smell clean at all.

• Sunnyfunny says:

My aldehyde experience consists of Nos. 5 & 22 and Fleurs de Rocaille. Those are yummy and I guess they are clean, right?

Yes, but there are also aldehydes that smell like fruits, or anise, or in some cases like rotting fruit or rotting butter:

• miss kitty v. says:

Thanks for this link. I feel like I am hopeless, and will never understand exactly what aldehydes are. I think my little dumb bunny brain can’t wrap around the science jargon. Sigh…

You know, it kind of doesn’t matter because you never know which fragrances have aldehydes & which don’t anyway…they’re frequently there but not listed.

• bergere says:

Now that’s interesting. I also thought only of No. 5-type aldehydes, never realized they came in other flavors.

• Sunnyfunny says:

Neat, thanks, Robin! So those are fatty aldehydes in my afforementioned ‘fumes.

• SmokeyToes says:

Really? There’s such a thing as dirty aldehydes?
        I somehow always thought they were a soapy/fizzy thing?

Not necessarily (see the link a few comments above).

6. Nina says:

I’ve never heard of her – is she big in the US? I love that dress, and it’s SO my colour! Cute bottle, too.

I’m the wrong person to ask…I’ve heard of her, but don’t know a thing about her fashion aesthetic or how popular she is. Hope a fashionista-type will chime in here…

• SmokeyToes says:

She was big in the 80’s/90’s. Some clothing was very office-friendly and after-work appropriate. She is known for her use of bright-color prints and bohemian styling.

• bergere says:

She was also big into ladies’ scarves, bright, wild, silk prints. I think for awhile she designed some for businesses.

7. RusticDove says:

I like Nicole Miller – in fact I own a vintage black cocktail dress by her [from the 80’s] that I still love. [I believe she’s mostly known for her cocktail dresses.] Her clothes are very feminine and pretty – not cutting edge, but not boring. She also does a line for JC Penney these days in addition to her couture line. Oh, and count me as one of the admirers of the fanciful dress featured in the ad.

Oh, did not know she was at JC Penny, thanks!

8. RusticDove says:

For anyone interested: http://www.nicolemiller.com

9. miss kitty v. says:

Am I the only one that thinks the bottle is tacky? It’s really 80’s. If they’re going for young, I think they missed the market. (And, once again, I don’t think I’m their demographic: I love fragrances that are too old for me! Hee hee.)

Interesting…I’m neither loving nor hating the bottle. Anyone else think it’s 80s?

• Tama says:

I don’t think it is so much 80’s as teetering toward Avon.

• Tara says:

Tama….that’s a perfect description of the bottle..It has a cheesy Avon feel to it!

• Daisy says:

that’s exactly it: Avon

• ggperfume says:

It’s Avon of the ’80s, for sure.

I love the dress as pictured, though one can hardly go through one’s day posing in front of a wind machine.

• miss kitty v. says:

Nailed it!

• boojum says:

Oh, silly me! I thought she was lying down and arching her back.

10. Jill says:

I do like the dress in the ad … although that color would not be any good on me either!

There was a Seinfeld episode where a guy who worked at a clothing boutique tried to get Elaine to date him by telling her “the Nicole Millers” were coming in. Of course, they never did come in. Seems like Nicole Miller was popular for “formal wear” around that period, when I was in college — early ’90s.

I do not remember that Seinfeld, although gosh, by now I must have seen every show 3 times at least.

11. Aimee LOndee says:

Sorry for the haterade, everybody, but I gotta say: hate the bottle, hate the name, hate the ageist promotional blurb, hate the model’s pose. Okay, I’ll admit the dress is pretty, and it looks very multifunctional as a pop-up beach sunshade, so that’s a plus. :^D

• miss kitty v. says:

Like I said before, I WANT to smell old! I earned it, darn it. (Language cleaned up for sensitive readers.)

Yeah, it isn’t a remark that endears one to perfumistas.

LOL at “haterade”!

• Existentialist says:

LOL at “I want to smell old”. I, too, feel like I’ve earned it. Although I think of it more as “timeless” than “old”.

12. Filomena says:

I had a black cocktail dress by Nicole Miller–can’t remember how long ago it was, but her “couture” line isn’t the price of the big time designers. I also remember one of her old perfumes and remember that I wasn’t thata crazy about it. She also does a “green” make-up line for the Melaleucca company.

Oh, did not know she did makeup, thanks!

13. Filomena says:

Robin, I do like the dress in the ad–not that I would ever have occasion to wear something like that. I can’t say I like the bottle.

LOL — I’d never have anyplace to wear it either.

14. dissed says:

It’s a beautiful dress, although the color would make me look dead. Dumb remark about “old perfumes,” though.

Yep, deader than a doornail for sure…I think you’d have to have that model’s coloring to wear it. And a tan.

15. owengreen says:

My thinking on the dress is that the designer responsible for the add was trying for a visual interpretation of the fragrance. Kind of going for a shimmering visual aid. Like- “If you could see this fragrance, this is what it would look like.” Perhaps a golden bronze analogy for the sillage of the perfume.

I don’t understand the whole focus on wealth this add seems to convey. Not to mention the impression of how older-school the fragrance comes off for someone who hates old perfumes. Seems like that add would work just as well for a No. 5 type concoction.

To me the add reads “Really rich, but not old enough to have wrinkles that can’t be fixed with botox.”

16. kaos.geo says:

I liked the old perfumes.
    The men’s smelled to me VERY SIMILAR to Paloma Picasso Minotaure.

I liked minotaure and it’s bottle better, but the packaging in the Nicolle miller was nicer.

• kaos.geo says:

I must say that the pose and the celtic knots and name look very “twilight” to me :-)

• boojum says:

I’ve escaped “twilight” so far, thankfully… but it almost looks like the Celtic knotwork is a blade and the cap is the hilt/pommel of a sword. And yet, from someone who loves Celtic designs, and swords… I dislike the bottle.

• kaos.geo says:

I tried to escape, I swear.
          But I love vampire stories :-)

On the other hand, I did manage escaping the Harry Potter Saga (at least the books, I have seen the movies on cable)

I just don’t like how Rowling writes, it is totally unappealing to me.
          (I know she is laughing at my comment all the way to the bank, but still)

• boojum says:

I’ve heard lots of people dislike her writing (JKR’s), but her storyline just sucked me right in. Fine literature or no, the entertainment value was huge (I had my own few quibbles though, mostly about the preachier aspects). I did resist for a long time though… something of a book snob here. But then I got stuck in an airport, and the only thing that wasn’t business (yawn) or chick-lit or self-help was…the first Harry Potter. So grudgingly, I bought it. Who knows, I may end up reading Twilight yet, although I have to say, I’ve never been big on vampires.

• Daisy says:

I am such a sucker for vampire stories (pun intended) but not Twilight….tried to read it, the girl started driving me nuts right away. And frankly, he may appear to be young but he’s not , so why is he interested in teenage girls? hmmm? Isn’t he like 300 yrs old? So I think it’s sick if a 45 yr old man went after a teen age girl…but 300 yrs old is ok? nope, it’s even weirder. You want great vampire types? Try Karen Marie Moning, Sherrilyn Kenyon or Christine Feehan.

17. alotofscents says:

At least it is a chypre, with an oakmoss note. Glad to see she’s going old school with this.
    That dress would make me feel pretty and elegant. I guess the fragrance is aiming for the same. Hope she pulls it off.

18. Kess says:

the name is pretty idiotic IMO

Doesn’t move me either way, really…or at least, most fragrance names seem dumb to me.

• thenoseknows says:

I love the name… Unique, Unusual, Very Evocative! I like to think of a perfume being able to work those who smell it into a mad crazed “FRENZY!” J’Adore!

• owengreen says:

With a name like frenzy it seems that someone like bjork should be on the ad.

;)

19. AugustAmber says:

breathless with anticipation to sniff a perfume by someone who doesn’t like perfume. Grrr, that just rubbed me wrong. We aren’t their market, I suppose.

BTW, love the dress. Not on me, of course – I’d need to lose about 50 pounds and 15 years!

It is pretty comical, esp. since it’s now her 4th perfume.

20. thenoseknows says:

OH MERCY! Ask and ye shall receive! :-) This Sounds EXQUISITE! the bottle is so fanciful and very different and unique! ADORE Ylang-Ylang in any incarnation! and along with Cedar, Amber, Orange and Orange Blossom, Gardenia and Oakmoss…. WOOHOO! I think i may be in love! The Original Nicole Miller scent is a little known masterpiece that evertone i have ever introduced it to has fallen madly in love with… this sounds to be on the same path! Thank You Robin, My Saviour As Always!

Good, glad it’s what you were hoping for!

• thenoseknows says:

It Certainly is! :-) Thank You As Always!

21. pyramus says:

Hard to believe she criticizes perfumes for being “too florally”, since her first eponymous scent was this ENORMOUS, room-filling cyclone floral. (And she couldn’t even blame it on the eighties, since it was launched in 1993, well after the trend for transparent scents had been ushered in by, among others, Escape and L’Eau D’Issey.)

This does sound nice, though. And oakmoss! Dare we hope?

Gosh, no, I don’t think we dare.

22. alltheprettythings says:

Frenzy was originally scheduled to launch in August/September of ’08 in the US – I wonder why it was delayed so long? (Possibly licensing agreements…)

I love the dress!

It sounds like another one of the new interpretations of ‘chypres’ – David Yurman has similar notes, as well as B de Boucheron and even Gucci By Gucci. I like the bottle; the knot design reminds me of a maillot I used to wear.

Well, I think they announced that time frame right after they signed the licensing deal…such things couldn’t be more than estimates, right?

• alltheprettythings says:

True, but they had reps and promoters scheduled and then pulled them

Ah, well…it’s here now!

23. Marilyn Waters says:

Loved this entire confab and am dying to try out some Frenzy for myself now despite the poor ad campaign, always liked the cocktail dresses. Will be visiting my nearest department store tomorrow and let you know the verdict! If they have it, naturally.

I have never come across it anywhere…

24. Marilyn Waters says:

Yep, no sign of it in here in Scotland, tried our biggest poshest department store today to no avail. Asked about the new Hermes scent though and they said they’re going to have on the 14th March, woo hoo!

Can’t wait to smell it!