Gwen Stefani Harajuku Lovers Snow Bunnies ~ new collector fragrance bottles

gw-hl-sb

Gwen Stefani will launch her Harajuku Lovers fragrances in new limited edition outfits this September. The Harajuku Lovers Snow Bunnies collection features the original 5 fragrances in dolls dressed for cold weather (the scents themselves are unchanged). As a representative of Coty noted, "the packaging was a big part of the [Harajuku Lovers'] success":

Each girl has a new hairdo and snow outfit, complete with scarf and snow shoes to represent her unique personality...Each carton is uniquely color coded with a wintery scene in the background, multi-colored glittery snowflakes, and signature logo.

The Gwen Stefani Harajuku Lovers Snow Bunnies will be available in 10 ml for $30 each. The Snow Bunnies will also be sold in a "gift set with personalized compartments for each girl" for $100. (first quote via wwd, subsequent quotes via odftp.com)

1. Ayala says:

Oh yeah, those snow shoes are just dripping personality.
    If anything, they should at least come up with new dolls instead of using the same mold and same fragrance. This is just unimaginative. Even the hairdos haven’t really changed, have they?

On the one hand, yes, relatively unimaginative, on the other, they’d be fools NOT to do a set like this: it’s going to sell, and it’s pretty clear people bought these mostly for the packaging — it was good of them to admit it!

• SmokeyToes says:

Although unimaginative, they’d be fools not to do a set like this. At a Nordstrom’s fragrance event last year, it was clear people bought these for the packaging. There was a group of young girls who were going nutz for these.

• alltheprettythings says:

I sold more 5 pc sets than I could count – from age 5 to 75, they were popular. The Harajuku collection had/has brilliant packaging, and appealed to every age demographic.

Personally, I think this winter collection is boring. I abhor plaid in any form and would much prefer some luxury-style outfits on the dolls – think Czarist Russia and/or Aspen in the 90′s before fur became so political. Would love to see the dolls glammed up.

Maybe “glam” will be the next series…that would be fun.

2. dewey eyed says:

Oh, missed opportunity – we should all be at the perfume counter buying new clothing and accessories for dress-them-yourselves Harajuku perfume dolls. And then we can set them up with a Dream House and Dream Convertibles and have them play with My Little Pony (Wears Daisy).

You jest, but I think they could sell accessories for these things!

• Joe says:

You’re absolutely right. Very smart business move if you asked me. I didn’t end up getting an original for my niece, but I think I may end up getting one of these for her for Xmas.

Seriously, they should build them a Dream House. People would buy it.

3. pigoletto says:

I think you have to like them in the first place to like the change (or lack thereof). I can see where someone who liked to collect stuff like this would get excited – maybe pre-teens maybe. Certainly the price isn’t prohibitive for allowances or birthday money. I have the G 30 ml, but being greedy, I prefer big bottles. I found myself a 100ml G tester, and perched the G doll on top! It doesn’t snap on because the tester doesn’t have the long neck, but it will sit on it nocely, so it looks rather cute and and tall now.

I like my Harajuku Lovers solids, although I’ve never used them, LOL…I think they could have come up with something a bit more clever than this, but whatever…they’ll sell, and yes, they’re reasonably priced if you’re just looking for some fun packaging that happens to come with a fragrance.

4. pigoletto says:

adding – my 33 year old self really should be cynical and jaded about these, but I can’t, as I remember my serious Strawberry Shortcake doll range envy when I used to see all my neighbour’s toys. I guess we just forget what it was like to be a certain age!

Yep! For that matter, I’d guess that if they did a whole range of school supplies w/ these dolls, a la Sanrio, they’d sell like hotcakes.

• pigoletto says:

As the owner of a very cool Sanrio Little Twin Stars sky blue puffy plastic magnetic pencil case when I was young (have Japanese relatives, so had loads of this stuff in grade school), I agree!

• miss kitty v. says:

Oh, Strawberry Shortcake dolls! My friend and I were just saying the other day that we so miss the smell of them, we would actually buy perfumes based on them! (Which there is a SS “perfume,” but it smells nothing like the doll itself.) So I guess if I can be that cheesy, I can’t make fun of the HL line. (Or can I? Please say I can!)

• Bunny says:

I had that perfume!! lol

5. krokodilgena says:

AnCafe talking about Harajuku

6. krokodilgena says:

btw, are these supposed to look like kokeshi dolls?
    I don’t know if it’s coincidence or not.

Don’t know, maybe.

• krokodilgena says:

they should have gotten one of these people to design them

they should follow Bond no 9 and have a bottle design contest. Even if they don’t produce the winner. I wanna design one (and they’d produce it as soon as they see how ~*amazing*~ it is heehee)

• Juniper says:

I lived in HI for years and own some wonderful handmade, hand-painted kokeshi dolls and don’t think they look like them at all–JMO. I do think she was going for the Kawaii look…

7. Daisy says:

Guess I must be reallllly old, or reallllly jaded….never really like “cutsey” anything….but I think these goofy looking.
    I know, I know….very popular, sell like hotcakes, making ga-zillions of $$ & yen, and I’ve never even tried the fragrance because I’m so put off by the containers….shouldn’t be like that, I know. Can’t help it.
    Maybe I’m just cranky today….some dark chocolate might improve my mood, at least I’m willing to give it a try.

Go eat some nice chocolate & pretend you never saw these ;-)

• krokodilgena says:

I think they’re kind of weird…
      Harajuku is known for ~*~*crazy fashion*~*~… where is the crazy fashion?
      I don’t like the lack of detail for the faces either

I honestly think I could have done a better job :X

Ganguro isn’t really associated with Harajuku, but I think there should be a special edition ganguro one!!!!!!!!!!

• pigoletto says:

I suspect a ganguro version would be too close for comfort to the concept of blackface for a lot of Americans. Best they shy away from that one!

• Dixie says:

I’m with you Daisy. I think these are absurd. Silly! The only thing that would tempt me toward these is if they were holding guns or grenades. Ha! Ha! Bombshell perfumistas! Wouldn’t that be cool? You have to pull the grenade to launch the perfume? Ha! Ha! It’ll take more than dark chocolate for me today!

• miss kitty v. says:

Maybe they can design some limited edition kitsch bottles for Juliet Has a Gun. :)

8. krokodilgena says:

once I was telling someone that my Japanese exchange students would be coming soon and they were like “o r they Harajuku gurlz?”
    my exchange students come from Aomori lol

There needs to be a Tommy Heavenly perfume

9. APassionateJourney says:

Ugh! This pisses me off. I wouldn’t think Gwen Stefani would go this route. This would’ve at least been great if she could’ve made these EDPs!

Yeah, but I think part of why these are doing so well is that they’re cheap.

10. cazaubon says:

I just saw the original Harajuku Lovers 30ml bottles at Costco for $19.99 each.

Are you sure the bottles you’re showing here are only 10ml each? They look the same as the ones at Costco that are 30ml.

• yzahbelle says:

i agree… defintely resembles 30ml size, i just took pictures of it last 2 weeks ago!
      i dont really love the outfit, the original is much cuter.

I have a 10 ml bottle…they look the same as the 30 ml, just smaller. Since there’s only one size in the picture it’s hard to tell!

11. Ayala says:

cazaubon, the 10ml and the 30ml sizes look the same. I’m saying this because I bought both sizes (for my daughter, of course).
    And while I agree with that being an obvious necessity marketing wise (one would think that by winter the little girls who bought them would have run out of the jus and need a new one) – I’d be a lot more thrilled with complementary accessories rather than differently painted plastic dolls.

And will you daughter want these, do you think?

12. eminere says:

They should do bottles with actual interchangeable fabric outfits – sold separately, of course.

I think they’d sell.

13. krokodilgena says:

what they need to do is a ~*specially designed by Krokodilgena collection*~
    I used to be so into Visual Kei and Japanese street fashion.

• Daisy says:

I wonder what their response would be if you contacted their main office with your ideas? ( Always keep originals, send copies.)

14. thecure4cyndi says:

This is an old thread..but just wanted to say..that the scent “love” is AMAZING.I wouldn’t care if it came in a square box w/no detail at all.
    I’ve never worn a scent that has been complimented by complete strangers as often as this one.
    the only problem for me is that it lasts only about 2 hrs…so it goes pretty fast.
    ps..the dolls are actually cute, for sure..but the “love” scent is worthy of any type of bottle…cute or hideous.

15. thecure4cyndi says:

oh and I might add…i’m 37..that scent is just soo delish! The other scents suck IMO..but that’s just me.

16. thecure4cyndi says:

yay..I found a snow Bunnies “Love” today at Marshall’s for only $15.00…I do think the dolls are cute..but I’m just happy to pay 15.00 rather than 30.00 for the small bottle. : )