Spicier, more aromatic

Isabelle, Camille said, was working on a new Gardenia fragrance which she described as "fresh and light", and had just completed a new version of another fragrance, Mandragore. Both are slated to be launched next year.

"The new Mandragore is spicier, more aromatic, with notes like pepper and anise. The ingredients' potency is stronger. It's for winter, so it'll be darker," she said.

— That's Camille Goutal of Annick Goutal, talking about some upcoming fragrances developed by perfumer Isabelle Doyen. Read more at Scent of a happy woman at the New Straits Times.

1. Anonymous says:

Please, please don't mess with Gardenia Passion! Make another gardenia scent if you like, but please don't mess with my beloved GP!

2. Anonymous says:

It's a race between AG and SSS to bring out a new improved gardenia! My money's on Laurie!

3. Anonymous says:

R, thank you for posting this article. No wonder I love AG fragrances. Camille and Isabelle represent the best in perfumery. From just reading the article, I get the sense that Camille is a down-to-earth, smart and lovely woman. She and Isabelle have really created the ideal lab to create amazing fragrances, while keeping it low-key and fun!

I can't wait to smell the “new” Mandragore and the gardenia fragrance. My money is on these wonderful women making the best true gardenia ever!

Hugs!

4. Anonymous says:

Did I miss something — thought this was something new, not reworked?

5. Anonymous says:

This sounds nice!

6. Anonymous says:

No, I don't think you missed a think, babe.

The Gardenia sounds like a new fragrance that will be introduced next year.

7. Anonymous says:

Fell in love with the herbaceous Mandragore this summer and snared that 100ml beauty of a men's bottle for under $25. I'd love to smell it reworked to have greater potency — it doesn't last long on me — but I hope the formula itself isn't fooled with too much. Not sure how I feel about more anise, but then again, I'm unlikely to buy another bottle since the one I have should last awhile.

8. Anonymous says:

That new Mandragore sounds very tasty. I love the current iteration, but those changes might be wonderful. Clarifying: I am reading the Mandragore as an *addition* to the line, not a replacement of the current version? I am trying to think: has AG ever done an actual *flanker?* I suppose Nuits de Hadrian would qualify?

9. Anonymous says:

Lucky duck! That bottle is stunning.

10. Anonymous says:

This sounds like they'll tweak it quite a bit — hard to see how it will be wintry & dark otherwise!

11. Anonymous says:

Sounds like a flanker to me! They did already do the stronger EdP version.

And yes, Nuits is the only other AG flanker I can think of offhand. But maybe I'm forgetting something, I usually do.

12. Anonymous says:

I am looking forward to a trying a darker Mandragore!

I wonder if they took the review in Perfumes: The Guide to heart…

13. Anonymous says:

I forgot about the EdP — I'll need to see if that's easy to find. I really am unhappy with how fleeting and close-to-the-skin Mandragore becomes, but I love the scent itself.

14. Anonymous says:

I'm looking forward to it too!

15. Anonymous says:

Sweet! I just will save reading the article for tomorrow. So excited about the new AG's. Thanks for posting Robin!

I like Madragore and Gardenia Passion, and embrace the idea of new 'takes' on the 'notes'.

Funny how we were discussing the AG's big time on today's Monday Mail.

16. Anonymous says:

Oops Mandragore, that is. :~)

17. Anonymous says:

To my nose, Mandragore is identical in both the men's and women's perfume but the difference is the strength. The women's one has greater lasting power which is the reason I took it. I am dying to have the new Mandragore and really hope it is darker and spicier. Fingers crossed!

18. Anonymous says:

It is unisex…they released it in a men's & women's bottle, but same juice. Later, they did an EdP version, but IIRC, only in a “luxe” women's bottle (had a butterfly on top).

19. Anonymous says:

isnt gardenia passion a flanker to passion? i really hope the original mandragore isnt being replaced…

20. Anonymous says:

Gosh, maybe it is. I never thought of it.

Seriously doubt Mandragore is being replaced, although I obviously am not “in the know” :-)