Guerlain Les Elixirs Charnels ~ new perfumes

Guerlain has launched Les Elixirs Charnels, a trio of limited edition fragrances that "let a woman explore her changing moods and fantasies with magical potions created to evoke them". The scents were developed by perfumer Christine Nagel.

Chypre Fatal "indulges your inner femme fatale with hypnotic notes of white peach, rose, patchouli and vanilla".

Oriental Brûlant "provokes with seductive oriental notes of clementine, almond, tonka bean and vanilla".

Gourmand Coquin "tantalizes with childlike yet not so innocent notes of black pepper, rose, rum and chocolate".

Les Elixirs Charnels by Guerlain are available in 75 ml, concentration unknown, $250 each. (quotes via vivre, additional information via firstluxe, beaute-addict)

1. Anonymous says:

I got to smell these in Chicago this weekend at Neimans-they were not for sale, but they had some small sample bottles- my favorite of the three was Chypre Fatal, well done but still not FBW- the other two were pretty sweet…overall a bit ho-hum to this young nose…

2. Anonymous says:

Going just off the notes it would be Chypre Fatal that would most tempt me. But here's another gorgeous trio of colours, like that Armani Collection with the tassles. They would look fab in a girly bedroom, if one had one!

3. Anonymous says:

As the other two gals have mentioned, I too would be enticed by the Chypre Fatal. Sounds wonderful to me, but since the contemporary (at least the last few, being, hum drum ordinary) Guerlain fragrances are somewhat disappointing, I don't know if I could send $250 !!WOW! on a bottle.

4. Anonymous says:

Glad I found via Googling that “charnel” means “carnal” in French — otherwise in English it has connotations that really aren't so good for marketing. Hmmmm. These aren't exciting me, but I'm not the target…

5. Anonymous says:

The rather unfortunate association of “charnel” in English is the first thing that popped into my mind, but then I'm kind of grim that way :)

6. Anonymous says:

Helenviolette, glad to hear they are ho-hum — the price is too steep for me, and got very turned off by reading the press release over at Perfume Posse — for anyone who didn't see it:

7. Anonymous says:

The Armani set is more appealing to me — not having smelled any of them, mind you.

8. Anonymous says:

$250 is a bit over the top for what these seem to be.

9. Anonymous says:

Not exciting me either…but then I'm also not the target, not having that kind of money to throw around on perfume.

10. Anonymous says:

They all sound gourmand, especially oriental brulant! For that price… they better be fabulous!

11. Anonymous says:

That press release reads like a Harlequin novel! Very wince-inducing.

12. Anonymous says:

I love what Christine Nagel did in the Miroir, Miroir series with Miroir des Envies — it is magical, really one of the best things I've smelled in eons. I wish the price of this new trio was a little more reasonable. . .

13. Anonymous says:

It's truly horrid — and surprising coming from Guerlain.

14. Anonymous says:

IrisNobile, seriously, I don't think any scent on earth is worth that much to me.

15. Anonymous says:

If that was magical for $150, I'd say stick with the Miroir series. $250 is a little silly.

16. Anonymous says:

These look beautiful!

17. Anonymous says:

What a disappointment. These don't even sound interesting, I can't imagine them smelling much better. Chypre Fatal seems like the only one wearable but if I wanted peaches and roses I go for something like Nahema or Chanel Cristalle which are a bargain compared to these.

18. Anonymous says:

If they're really good, I could see maybe ALL THREE for $250.

19. Anonymous says:

When did “chypre” get translated as fruity floral? Peach? Roses? Pfui. Where's my oakmoss? Where's my greens?
    My first reaction was “Charnel Chypre?” EEEeeewww. But then the French part of my brain, smacked me with a baguette and said, “Sacre jus! Fait attention!” and I got it. But I won't get it. It would have to do a lot more work than look pretty to get me to shell out that amount of money.

20. Anonymous says:

Three for 250 is more realistic, I can't imagine, 250 for one?? Ouch.

21. Anonymous says:

I know it's probably just because I read the press release at Perfume Posse (see link in comment above) but now the labels look like Harlequin Romance covers to me!

22. Anonymous says:

Yep.

23. Anonymous says:

People are probably buying them like candy though!

24. Anonymous says:

They aren't very complete lists of notes though, obviously — maybe the chypre does have lots of dark dry notes in the base? Who knows.

25. Anonymous says:

They all kind of look like Gourmand Coquin to me, LOL. Interchangeably sweet. Mind you, I did like the way Iris Ganache smelled, so who knows. But aren't these even more expensive?

26. Anonymous says:

Hey Robin,

Absolutely ho-hum for the price, even the nice chypre not worth that much. Other two very gourmand and sweet (not generally my thing). BUT, the Guerlain 68 was GREAT! I probably would have picked up a bottle but it seems like a more of a spring/summer scent to me (and maybe by spring I can find a deal online)

27. Anonymous says:

We're agreed on the 68…lovely, although I thought it was also overpriced. Not nearly so badly as these are though!

28. Anonymous says:

Don't know the current price of the IG, I think they've raised the price on that series too. Might be nearly as bad!

29. Anonymous says:

Good packaging …
    I have smelled them last saturday …. I was not impressed and it was more a deception.
    I prefer to buy for quite the same price an “Art et la matiere” or a limited “Sous le vent” / “Vega”
    I still beleive that Iris Ganache is a better gourmand.
    Elixirs Charnels is a new collection or just 3 isolated perfumes .. I dont know.

30. Anonymous says:

I had to post for this one, especially after reading the copy.
    First off, the idea of having all three of these to decide which woman you feel like being is quite pricey.
    The copy sounded awful. Sheesh, you'd think Guerlain of all people would be a bit classier, not regurgitating these sad little pseudo-romance novels.
    And it seems that they think the color of Oriental Brûlant is blood red, they might need to have their eyes checked.
    And, yet, for all that, I find none of these have me fingering my credit card. Not even a little.

31. Anonymous says:

I don't know if they're planning to add to the collection either, and won't be surprised if I never get to smell these anyway. They don't sound worth going out of my way for…

32. Anonymous says:

The ad copy is so truly horrible that I keep hoping I'll hear it was all a hoax, LOL…

33. Anonymous says:

That's quite a sick thought.

34. Anonymous says:

Me too, the Armani Trio seems more appealing, i got to try all three of the Guerlain and to me they are all three a “NO THANK YOU”.

35. Anonymous says:

Let's hope the Armanis are better!

36. Anonymous says:

whew, glad I wasn't alone in that! Especially since one of them has “fatal” in the name.

37. Anonymous says:

Pity the prices are so prohibitive, but the delightfully purple Chypre Fatal is just fantastic.

38. Anonymous says:

I still haven't tried them — probably never will!

39. sabsoob says:

only Crypre Fatal.. but still i need to think twice. and smell more perfumes, am still young in this addiction!

They’re expensive — you might want to think thrice ;-)

40. Dilana says:

At the moment, you can chose to have a bottle of any of the above engraved. (This could be a very cool gift). However, if you don’t like the perfume, they are also engraving beautiful lipstick cases and eye shadow compacts.

Plus, if you spend $100.00 on any beauty products, you’ll get a cloth bag.

If you spend 130 on Balenciaga fragrance at Neiman Marcus, you’ll get an allegedly Balanciaga min cosmetic bag. (I doubt it is the real Balanciaga famous leather used in their handbags).