Tom Ford Private Blend ~ new collection of fragrances

Tom Ford Velvet Gardenia perfumeAs previously reported, Tom Ford will launch Private Blend, a collection of 12 unisex fragrances, in March. The fragrances are Amber Absolute, Noir de Noir, Velvet Gardenia, Black Violet, Tobacco Vanille, Oud Wood, Purple Patchouli, Bois Rouge, Moss Breches, Tuscan Leather, Neroli Portofino and Japan Noir, and here are the few scent descriptions we have so far, courtesy of Women's Wear Daily:

Purple Patchouli is “sort of Sixties, with orchid, black leather and amber,” said Ford. “Bois Rouge has red cedarwood; Noir de Noir is a chypre oriental with patchouli and tree moss; Moss Breches is this really rare moss, and Tobacco Vanille smells like pipe tobacco. And these are fully developed fragrances, not one-note products.”

Look for them in the new Tom Ford boutique scheduled to open on Madison Avenue, and in Bergdorf Goodman and selected Saks & Neiman Marcus stores. And save your pennies: 50 ml Eau de Parfum will be $165; 250 ml (!) will be $450.

Update: here are the individual descriptions for the Tom Ford Private Blend scents...

Amber Absolute ~ "A hallmark private blend fragrance. Amber Absolute is a honey colored scent infused with the purest form of Amber, joined by a tenacious refrain of African Incense, Labdanum, Rich Woods and a touch of Vanilla Bean."

Black Violet ~ "Crisp Citrus surrounds a modern pulpy fruit accord, fused with Black Violets. Woody accents fold into Oakmoss adding the universally comforting sensation of warmth."

Bois Rouge ~ "This woody oriental opens with a blend of elegant citrus and spice. The luxurious heart reveals Cedarwood, Patchouli, Jasmine and Muguet. Sandalwood, Vetiver, Amber and refined Leather are warmed by Vanilla and Tonka, adding lasting depth and texture."

Japon Noir ~ "A contemporary fragrance enriched with flavors from the past opens with an inviting spice bouquet and warms to reveal Patchouli and Porto Noir Accords. Night Blooming Jasmine, Leather, Amber and Vetiver add a deeper, sleeker touch."

Moss Breches ~ "Dark and complex, this mystical chypre combines fresh wood and warm spice notes with the delicate essence of Beeswax Absolute. The scent intensifies with the addition of ingredients such as Moroccan Clary Sage, Hungarian Tarragon, Corsican Rosemary and Labdanum, Patchouli and Benzoin."

Neroli Portofino ~ "A modern intercontinental version of an iconic fragrance theme balances luminous citrus oils and floral notes with Amber undertones that awaken the senses and leave a splashy yet substantive impression."

Noir de Noir ~ "A dark chypre oriental, this scent opens with an earthy mantle of richly woven Saffron, Black Rose and Black Truffle, with hints of floralcy. Underneath, Vanilla, Patchouli, Oud Wood and Tree Moss soften the intensity, making the scent a sensual experience."

Oud Wood ~ "Exotic Rose Wood and Cardamom, blended with exuberant Chinese Pepper, envelop the wearer in warmth. Eventually, the center exposes a smokey blend of rare Oud Wood, Sandalwood and Vetiver. Finally, the creamy scents of Tonka Bean, Vanilla and Amber are revealed."

Purple Patchouli ~ "This 60’s inspired floral woody fragrance opens with an elegant Orchid Accord and wet, succulent citrus notes. The heart blends Noir Leather and a signature Patchouli Accord with exotic spices, supported by the intense depth of Amber, Patchouli, Peru Balsam and Vetiver."

Tobacco Vanille ~ "A modern take on an old world men’s club. A smooth oriental, Tobacco Vanille opens immediately with opulent essences of Tobacco Leaf and aromatic spice notes. The heart unfolds with creamy Tonka Bean, Tobacco Flower, Vanilla and Cocoa, and finishes with a dry fruit accord, enriched with Sweet Wood Sap."

Tuscan Leather ~ "A chypre blend of notes brings a raw, yet reserved sensuality to this original take on a classic leather scent. Saffron, Raspberry and Thyme open to Olibanum and Night Blooming Jasmine. Leather, Black Suede and Amberwood add an intricate richness."

Velvet Gardenia (shown above) ~ "A heady floral blend of ripened Black Gardenia and succulent Orange deepens into a heart of Jasmine, Rose and Muguet. Tuberose blends with Dark Plum, Honey and Beeswax, finishing with a smooth accord of Incense and Labdanum."

(quotes via tomford)

1. Anonymous says:

Noir de Noir…. that must be taking the Black This or Black Something mania to a new level. I want a fragrance called Blackest Black now.

2. Anonymous says:

I loved Black Orchid, so I am very excited about these ones. Tuscan Leather!! Purple Patchouli sort of sounds like Black Orchid, no?

3. Anonymous says:

News flash — black is *still* the new black!

4. Anonymous says:

Could be an earthier sort of Black Orchid, yes! I want the Moss one :-)

5. Anonymous says:

Someone please explain why Tom Ford can create scents with moss (presumably real, if it says moss) while Guerlain has to reformulate their moss inclusive scents?

6. Anonymous says:

Everybody is reformulating, not just Guerlain, and I assume that no moss was harmed in the making of the new Tom Fords, LOL…

Real moss in perfumery, as near as I can tell, is a thing of the past.

7. Anonymous says:

Oh, I knew that – I'm just sore especially because of the unknown date but certainly pending reformulation of Mitsouko, lol. So that means that listing moss or having a whole moss based frag means that they are in fact using artificial replacements and not the real thing? I wish to goodness that someone would say that if you are using an artifical replacement, that it would have to stated as such. Then I can get worked up when I see moss!

8. Anonymous says:

I'm the opposite – Black Orchid was just awful on me, so I'm not too hopeful. But what's up with the current trend of creating exclusive scents and charging arm and leg? Ugh. It's getting old.

9. Anonymous says:

I know what you mean, and since I adore oakmoss, it is very sad to see it disappear. But gosh, think of what fragrance notes would look like, LOL: artificial peach, artificial jasmine, artificial patchouli, LOL…I mean, most perfumes on the market are largely synthetic chemicals.

And I am pretty sure Mitsouko is already reformulated — I think there was a long thread at POL about this recently. The question is what you're getting when you buy, since bottles aren't dated. Best bet is to find a dusty old bottle in some down-and-out sort of store.

10. Anonymous says:

I love Black Orchid and I cant wait to get my nose around all of these! I am excited to smell Amber Absolute (I love Amber) and what is this Japan Noir? Do you think it will be like Nombre Noir? I suppose the answer is no, never mind! I can't wait to see the bottles because the black one for Black Orchid is amazing. I am in Liverpool and at the moment to smell these I have to go all the way down to London! I don't really mind though because it makes them feel even posher!

11. Anonymous says:

yes, that's a good point. I don't feel so bad now, LOL. well, I guess that means I'll just keep buying from odd discount places for now!

12. Anonymous says:

I'm with you, Ina!

13. Anonymous says:

I didn't love Black Orchid, I find it questionable when 12 scents are released simultaneously (quality vs. quantity?) and, like Ina, I'm not happy about this trend of overpriced exclusive scents. I also thought these would be single note scents. But…grumbling aside, all my resistence is now melting when faced w/ the descriptions of Noir de Noir, Tobacco Vanille, Purple Patchouli, etc. Dear God. The Chanels, Rousse, A Maze, several of the ELdO, Oiro and now these. Uncle!!! This looks to be a dark, dark time for my budget.

14. Anonymous says:

Not happy about the prices either, but I'm sooo curious about the moss one and Tuscan Leather. I really didn't like Black Orquid so we'll see what happens with the others. I like that he put a little something for everyone there.

15. Anonymous says:

The bottles are very pretty…go to http://www.com and you can see the picture on today's cover even if you are not a subscriber.

But no idea about the rest — your guess is as good as mine :-)

16. Anonymous says:

Exactly — the odder the better :-)

17. Anonymous says:

Ladies, can't but agree. They are very pricey, and pricey new “niche from a mainstream brand” lines seem to be the big thing now.

18. Anonymous says:

Uncle is right…the least they could have done is waited until summer so we'd have time to recover from the Chanels, LOL!

19. Anonymous says:

Can only assume that these will not be “big statement” scents like Black Orchid, but we'll see! The names are very tempting.

20. Anonymous says:

This is one of those swallow hard things. He certainly knows how to come up with some great names. Black Orchid I still can't decide if I loathe or sorta like, some days it is both. I suspect, though, that at least a few of these will be interesting.

I'm with Elle, my budget cries Uncle! Too much, too much, but I want more!

21. Anonymous says:

Truthfully, I want less…I wish they had started out with a much smaller number, maybe 6? And worked really hard to make those perfect?

12 is too hard to even pay attention to, if you know what I mean…I'll be standing in the store with 12 scent strips unable to remember which I just smelled. And he says there are more to come!

22. Anonymous says:

Oakmoss and treemoss are still used in perfumes but since they are irritating, they are limited to a certain amount into the finished product. In Europe, oak/tree mosses can be 'detected' by checking the label. In the ingredients list, you will see them as evernia prunasti and evernia furfuracea. But due to all these problems, some 'synthetic' moss-smell-like materials have been created to help perfumers creating moss scents respecting regulatories. For your information, 'synthetic' does not necessarly means cheap and chemical smell. Some of the most beautiful and expensive perfumery raw materials are synthetic and essential to obtain amazing and new odours. A peach note cannot be created without synthetics. And 'Jicky' and 'Chanel 5' would not have any interest without the synthetics they contain.

23. Anonymous says:

I am aware of the allergen regs, thanks. And I don't think anyone here implied that synthetic meant “cheap” or “chemical smell”, or that peach notes could be created without them. My point was just that it sounds more appealing to consumers, including me, to just say “peach” in the list of notes.

24. Anonymous says:

Black's Black is the true BLACK fragrance!

Noir sur Noir is I'm sure due to be out soon by some perfume house if it hasn't already! LOL!

25. Anonymous says:

You know, somehow “Private Blend” really makes me think of coffee than perfume.

26. Anonymous says:

Ok, maybe I did not take it the right way and I fully agree with your point as I am always bored by all this 'rubbish' marketing on fine fragrances when discribing them with 'Rose de Mai', 'Jasmin sambac' and other 'flower of peony from Himalaya' when it comes from a base or just traces levels of the natural… but to some extent what else could we say (if we imagine that they just remove these rubbish “from bla bla' appelations) to describe and sell them? What would be the point of talking of hedione, benzyl acetate, linalool, Iso E Super and co. since perfumers work on themes and accords? And we can already notice that it is now quite usual to find aldehydes, musks, ambrox, hedione and cashmeran as olfactive descriptors…

27. Anonymous says:

LOL!

28. Anonymous says:

LOL…I hadn't thought of it, but yes!

29. Anonymous says:

You completely sum up all my feelings on these releases here. Although I do love the Noir de Noir name – it's probably the only one I will remember! It's perfect Tom Ford cheek, and reminds me of Die Hard 2: Die Harder or whatever it was called.

30. Anonymous says:

Noir de Noir is another name that sounds fine to me because it is French. Don't think I'd like it in English.

A number of the names aren't in the least memorable, which is a problem when you're releasing 12 scents…

31. Anonymous says:

Did anyone sample anything from Private Blend by Tom Ford? How is it? Looks to me like it's typical Tom Ford…..Is that true?

32. Anonymous says:

I smelled a few of them on scent strips, but haven't tried any on skin. They all smelled bold and Tom Ford-ish.

33. Anonymous says:

I've just finished sampling ALL of the 12 scents and I have to say only 2 didn't work for me, the rest are well-done, some of them are great! They are in fact like a “breath of fresh air” in all this “floral fruity mall-o-rama” that's been going on lately. I don't know if it's just me but so many boring unoriginal, dull fragrances have been coming out in the past months ( I am talking here about mainstream scents). These 12 Private Blend scents just go to show once more that Ford really suits my tastes and as far as I'm concerned he can do no wrong really. At least he hasn't so far.

I wish he would come up with 12 scents each year *LOL*

34. Anonymous says:

You may well get your wish — I understand these are selling far better than projected.

35. Anonymous says:

Robin,I have been searching high and low to order tobacco vanille online,I am from Canada,is there any place that I can order? or else a US site will do.
    I have searched the stores you have listed but have not found it.
    thanks for your help.

36. Anonymous says:

It is only at Bergdorf Goodman and the Tom Ford boutiques. I don't think it is online, but fairly sure either will send it to you if you order over the phone. I honestly don't know where (or if) they are carried in Canada, sorry!

37. Anonymous says:

Noir de Noir and Tobacco Vanille smell exquisite when worn together…

38. Anonymous says:

Noir de Noir and Tobacco Vanille smell exquisite when worn together…. and the bottles are stunning.

39. Anonymous says:

Thanks, if I ever manage to get samples I'll try that!

40. Anonymous says:

I reckon Tobacco Vanille is the best and most interesting of them. When I was a little girl my father smoked a pipe and I remember taking the lid off his tabbaco tin and smeling this sweet ,lightly spiced, tabbaco – that's what Tabbaco Vanille smells like to me. It's such a rich and oppulent scent – all-consuming really.

BTW, Robin – I love your fragrance reviews.

41. Anonymous says:

I am just working my way through a set of samples, haven't gotten to the TV yet but I will!

And thanks :-)

42. Anonymous says:

I found Oud Wood, Tuscan Leather and Vanille Tobacco the most pleasant to my nose and most complex and I'd say unique? :) The perfumes stays close to skin but the person wearing it can smell it. Its is kind of private perfume though I must admit that with the wind you can get quite a cloud of perfume coming. My partner wore Tobacco Vanille and with the wind I could clearly smell that wonderful and so strange composition. If not buying, for definite it is worth at least trying all of them. It has this Tom Ford face / stamp. Like Chanel or Hermes has. You just KNOW that this is it.

43. Anonymous says:

Thanks!

44. Anonymous says:

Robin and everyone, these JUST came to Holt Renfrew here in Vancouver two weeks ago, at $210 Cdn for 50mls. I sniffed quite a number at lunchtime until my poor little nose was completely confused!! (No one knew where the samples were; the woman in charge was on a break.)

I can say that what I did sniff was VERY impressive. These are generally quite weighty, woody/resinous scents that pack an elegant wallop. the Oudh Wood is an exceptionally smooth oudh, the Tobacco Vanilla very fresh, the Purple Patchouli skanky/flowery in a really interesting way, the Tuscan leather true-to-leather with a few nice dried herbs, clean and firm. . .I am definitely going back for more research!

45. Anonymous says:

Robin, where can I find these? Does Macy's carry Tom Ford scents? I don't think I've ever seen any

46. Anonymous says:

Kevin reviewed the Purple Patchouli. I've finally smelled some of them (have a complete set but still working my way through), and they're worth trying. Still don't think they're worth the money, but that's just me.

47. Anonymous says:

The Private Blend is in “exclusive” distribution only — Nordstrom, Saks, Neiman Marcus (and for all 3, only at selected locations — my local Nordstrom & NM doesn't have any of them) and Tom Ford Boutiques.

48. jonr951 says:

Does anyone know of a scent similar to Tobacco Vanille and Noir de Noir? They happen to be my favorites of the collection and i really love them but theyre a bit too pricy for me. if anyone has any suggestions please oh please do comment! it would be greatly appreciated! thanks everyone!!

Ack — can’t think of anything offhand, sorry!

• Blimunda says:

Check out L’Artisan’s line. I tried a couple of them, and one reminded me very much of Noir de Noir. I’ll try to remember which one!!!

• prism says:

if anything i’d like to join you with that question lol

both are really exquisite, but VERY expensive…

49. jonr951 says:

O thanks for the recommendation Blimunda!! Neiman Marcus has the Private Blends in a 3.4oz now for $260. I want Tobacco Vanille so badly! Maybe Ill beg for it for Xmas this yr!