Thursday scent of the day 7/31

dreamy magnolia

July is almost gone! What fragrance are you wearing today?

I went with Strange Invisible Perfumes Magazine Street. It's very cool this morning, and I doubt it will last until the afternoon anyway.

Reminder: tomorrow, August 1st, will be Indie Special Friday: wear something from an indie brand. The following Friday, August 1st, wear a favorite citrus fragrance.

And for those of you who like to plan ahead, see Scent of the day ~ Friday community projects 2014, where I'll try to always have the next six or seven weeks mapped out in advance.

Note: top image is Dreamy Magnolia [cropped] by infomastern at flickr; some rights reserved.

1. Nile Goddess says:

Herba Fresca is the SOTD.

Nice, you smell great! (and minty fresh, LOL…)

• odonata9 says:

Yum! Probably my favorite summer fragrance.

2. PriscillaE says:

Moschino Couture – which I really like, but which I really is a cooler weather scent.

• Elisa says:

OMG, no one ever mentions this perfume! I love it so much. I wear it year-round.

3. Elisa says:

I’m wearing Passage d’Enfer, since you mentioned it yesterday in your summer incense post. It reminds me very much of Costes, which makes sense since I just looked it up and they are both by Giacobetti.

And Costes is another one I always forget about…

• AnnieA says:

It must smell very different on you, as it was pretty well my worst scrubber ever: I smelled like one of those little pine tree car fresheners.

4. pyramus says:

Is Ormonde Jayne niche? I think so, so I’m wearing Osmanthus, which is a sort of olfactory golden glow (with an amusing touch of swimming pool at the top), a really terrific summertime scent.

• pyramus says:

I thought it was Friday! Well, I’m still wearing Osmanthus, and I guess I’m going to wear it again tomorrow. Or some other OJ because I do not really have much else that’s niche.

But it’s indie Friday, not niche Friday! Either way though, I love OJ Osmanthus :-)

• AnnS says:

I thought it was Friday today too!

5. des esseintes says:

The Body Shop White Musk for men. It’s almost more feminine than the women’s version. There’s some mitigating freshness in the top before it plunges into a very soft, powdery musk. It’s very hard to overdose, so you can spay it on almost like a body spray. It’s really nice.

Interesting, have never smelled it! Will have to find a tester.

6. farouche says:

SOTD is Serge Lutens Bois de Violette from a sample spray. So nice, and long-lasting, too!

7. melissa says:

I am once again wearing Prada Amber and blaming/crediting Katie Puckrik.

• AnnS says:

I put a small spritz of the Amber on last night (inspired by you), and thoroughly enjoyed it – like dessert fragrance – even though it’s not really sweet. Sweetish maybe. It is very nice thought. I am sorry I neglected mine for so long.

• melissa says:

I’m definitely liking it better this week than the first time I tested it — I think I’m getting more used to the subtleties of patchouli.

8. nebbe says:

Ormonde Jayne Champaca. It’s battling with my hairspray at the moment, but in another hour it will win. I have confidence in Champaca.

9. Dawn says:

Usually after lunch, I can figure out my scent of the day and it’s either no 22 or it’s Theorema, no wait, maybe I should give Apres L’Ondee another go, even though it’s an EDT.

That’s a hard choice!

• CM says:

You inspired me to dig out my Apres L’Ondee (EDT). I have two decants – the older one smells better, so it must’ve of been reformulated in the last couple of years or so.

It’s a good choice for this cool overcast day. In Texas. In July! It’s in the low 70s at what is usually the hottest part of the day.

10. foxbins says:

En Passant today. I love this one even though it doesn’t last on me and costs a bundle.

• Dawn says:

I do love En Passant as well and doesn’t last that long on me either. I guess for both of us, in a way, it’s money saved, right?

11. scentfromabove says:

My last day administering the Texas Bar Exam! Yeaaa! It has been an exhausting 3 days. SOTD is Atelier’s Orange Sanguine again. I have received several compliments from our future lawyers who have been testing.

12. Mary Carol says:

I am wearing Chergui today. I just felt like putting this one on and being able to smell it all day.

13. thegoddessrena says:

Manguier Metisse today. I am fond of its softness

• ihadanidea says:

That the one you picked up at Bendels when we went? I liked that one on you!

• thegoddessrena says:

One of the ones. Sideris was the one I was wearing at dinner that you really liked

• ihadanidea says:

I remember both! Sideris was my favorite on you, but that one was good too.

14. Janice says:

I’m wearing Violet Blonde. It’s surprising how well this can work (very sparingly applied!) as a work scent.

15. teri says:

I’m wearing a scent that has been hiding in plain sight. Literally. I bought a bottle of this scent at half-price closeout some years back because I loved the bottle. I keep it on my dresser, see it every day, and hardly ever wear the juice in it. So today is its day to shine!

The scent is L’eau de Kasaneka from Menard. This is a lovely, refined, floriental, very Japanese in character.

16. Jessica says:

Serge Lutens’s Une fille a Berlin, which I received as a special birthday present last month. Gorgeous.

• CM says:

I really liked this one and managed to drain a decant. It’s on my FB list! It’s a wonderful rose scent, isn’t it?!

17. rose pepper says:

SOTD in Hermes Un jardin sur le toit. I drained a small bottle last year, and then bought a replacement bottle this January but I am not as excited about the fragrance this time around. I think I have expanded my horizons a lot since last year, with all the sampling that I have done :)

18. bastet says:

I am wearing Badgley Mishka Couture today. I have a small (0.5 oz) purse spray of the parfum, which I haven’t worn in quite a while. It has become very viscous, and the sprayer no longer works – I had to unscrew the bottle and shake it upside down to get some out. Luckily it still smells great.

Does anyone have any advice as to how to dilute the parfum without ruining the scent?

• sweetgrass says:

If the liquor stores in your area sell Everclear (or similar 195 proof alcohol), that should work.

• bastet says:

Thanks, I’ll give it a try.

19. ihadanidea says:

Loving my sample of Heeley’s Iris de Nuit. People don’t seem to mention this one much when they talk of iris. What do you iris lovers think?

• Bee says:

I don’t understand it either*, I recently ordered Heeley samples and really enjoy both Iris de nuit and l’amandière, both are on my virtual to-buy list
      * The price maybe? But there is more expensive stuff around, e.g. the Amouages, which are frequently mentioned.

• ihadanidea says:

I’ll have to try L’Amandiere, but I’m glad to know that I’m not alone in my Iris de Nuit love!

• Merlin says:

Iris de Nuit is the most expensive perfume in my collection. I got it shipped to my brother while he was in the USA and I’ve been keeping it for Spring (its winter where I live). Turin, in the Guide describes it by saying that iris can be shy and retiring but in Iris de Nuit the violet takes it by the hand and makes it come out to play! It is a very ethereal scent and yet I don’t find it nearly as short lived as others do. For me, it is the most beautiful iris of all.

• Merlin says:

Or perhaps I should say it is the most lyrical iris, because I do like the rooty and wet varieties as well…

• ihadanidea says:

Haven’t taken out my Guide in a while – I’d forgotten that review, and I think you’re both dead on. The combination of the two is just gorgeous.

Congrats on your bottle, and enjoy the lyrical, ethereal loveliness in good health!

• Merlin says:

Thank you! I also noticed that there was a dearth of commentary about Iris de Nuit, but I thought it was truly beautiful and so pulled out the Guide to see what it said, lol!

20. odonata9 says:

Wearing PdN L’Eau Mixte. Quite nice and long lasting for a cologne.

21. Bee says:

Back to Imperial tea, it’s slowly becoming my summer 14 scent.

22. AnnS says:

I am wearing RL Safari today. I wanted something green and warm.

23. johanob says:

SOTD Ombre Rose.I tend to forget how lovely this is!

24. mals86 says:

Testing Patou Enjoy… am on the fence with it. It reminds me a bit of Coco Mademoiselle, with some fruit up top. Probably doesn’t matter – I think Enjoy is d/c now anyway.

Coco Mlle is a screechy train wreck on me, but my sister wears it well. And I’ve been working with another band mom this week who also wears it well; it’s very pretty on her.

• AnnS says:

I am on the fence about Coco Mlle. As a Coco lover, I was always kind of offended that they tried to bunch Coco Mlle as a flanker, even though they are worlds apart. I have one of those tiny parfum bottles of it, and from time to time I try and wear it. It has no charm on me though. The original Badgley Mischka is so similar and so much better – the rich fruits they put in rather than the soapy accords Chanel used in CM make it much more lively and interesting.

• mals86 says:

I couldn’t do Badgley Mischka either. But, then, I tend to have trouble with fruity chypres anyway. (Nausea. I really don’t get why.)

Coco Mlle has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with Coco (which I also hate, what with that Opium vibe it has. Good lord, I am stupid picky).

Never mind, I know where my bottle of Safari is. :)

• AnnS says:

;-) We should all be stupid picky.

25. sweetgrass says:

Wearing Agent Provocateur L’Agent today. I picked it up at Marshall’s. I like it better than the original, which was a bit too dry and bitter on me. This version has that bitter note too, but it’s softened by the tuberose.

• MikasMinion says:

Wish I could run across any of the AP fragrances at Marshall’s. Nothing much but celebuscents for the past year at the ones here.

• floragal says:

Agreed! I never see good perfumes at Marshall’s. Always blah assortment.

26. solanace says:

Versace The Dreamer. Totally digging its tobacco-musk combo.

• stinker_kit says:

I love this fragrance so I know you smell great! In a side by side test with Spicebomb, The Dreamer won because it is just a more interesting perfume. This is no slam against Spicebomb, which is wonderfully linear and frequently worn in the colder months in this household!

27. Parley says:

Atelier Cologne Mistral Patchouli. I’m on a car journey to Paris and we’ve reached the Harz mountains in Germany now – something light and non-floral seemed about right. Well, it’s light alright, but there’s no patchouli to be seen, even the scrubbed kind… Nor is it reminiscent of any northern winds I’ve experienced! I found it grapefruit front and center and I prefer Pamplelune for that type of fruit action.

28. MikasMinion says:

Liquid Dreams and it isn’t doing my headache any favors.

29. poodle says:

I was wearing Ore but once I got into the very last stages I switched to Double Vanille. I am just smelling delicious today.

30. Frederik says:

I wore Nuit Noire by Mona di Orio today. It´s one you wouldn´t associate with warm weather, because it can be a bit much. But it´s glorious when it can bloom in the heat.

31. bookgirl says:

I’m wearing Hermes Un Jardin en Méditerranée on one arm, and Un Sur Le Toit on the other. Neither are calling my name, really, but c’est la vie.

32. stinker_kit says:

Wearing Esprit de Oscar today, worn over Yves Rocher Mona Tiare body oil. Nice in the heat…

• AnnS says:

EdO is a great, pretty scent. It is one of my favorite, very wearable, tuberoses.

33. hajusuuri says:

SOTD = Prada Infusion d’Iris Absolue

Love it! I kept sniffing around to find out where that nice scent was coming from and it was I, me and myself :-)

34. perthgirl says:

Gucci edp. Had a craving for it and it was perfect.

35. austenfan says:

Amouage Gold, yesterday so on Thursday. Suits any mood, and just about any occasion.