Thursday scent of the day 7/17

Bridge over Lake Quinsigamond connecting Shrewsbury and Worcester, Mass.

What fragrance did you pick today?

It's a perfectly gorgeous summer day, and I'm wearing Hermès Terre d'Hermès Eau Très Fraîche.

Reminder: this Friday, the 18th, will be Sample Grab Bag: pick a fragrance at random from among your untried samples. The following Friday wear something by Hermès OR something by perfumer Jean-Claude Ellena.

And for those of you who like to plan ahead, see Scent of the day ~ Friday community projects 2014, where I'll try to always have the next six or seven weeks mapped out in advance.

Note: image is Bridge over Lake Quinsigamond connecting Shrewsbury and Worcester, Mass. via Boston Public Library at flickr; some rights reserved.

1. relleric says:

SOTD is Signature Black Mark (Jack Black)

2. lupo says:

Wearing Prada Infusion d’Homme. Should do that more often!

Have a splendind thursday one and all

3. Janice says:

I stood in front of the cabinet, already late, looking at all the serious and appropriate-for-work options and then went with Ananas Fizz instead. It won’t last long so I grabbed a couple of samples on my way out to try later.

4. Elisa says:

I’m wearing Lalique Encre Noire. Heard so many good things about this so I put a sample in my recent Surrender to Chance order. However, I still don’t care about vetiver. Sigh.

• bastet says:

Oh, too bad, I love Encre Noire. Maybe you would enjoy it more in combination with something else? I like to layer it with white flowers, e.g. EL Private Collection Tub. Gardinia or SL A la Nuit.

• Elisa says:

Interesting layering idea, I will try that! Especially the PCTG — both have a bit of a petrol note. (This is definitely a nice vetiver, I just find vetiver doesn’t speak to me in general.)

• stinker_kit says:

Inspired by your always excellent layering suggestions, try it with Tuscany per Donna.

• Elisa says:

AWESOME idea

• austenfan says:

If you would consider shock therapy in your vetiver “problem” you might want to give either Route du Vétiver or Turtle Back a try. Route tries to bury you in damp earth and Back is so strong it nearly singes your nose. Me I love both of them but then I adore the note.

• Elisa says:

I would consider this! Usually I think vetiver is too subtle for me, I do like it in darker/richer treatments like Vetiver Oriental and Vetiver Dance.

5. scentfromabove says:

Happy Friday Eve everyone! My SOTD is Tom Ford’s Santal Blush. One of the most unique fragrances I’ve ever experienced. I adore it. :)

6. melissa says:

I’m wearing my scent of the summer, Jardins d’Ecrivains Wilde. It’s a perfect May day here, extra lucky in July!

• Kelly says:

I’m OBSESSED with that fragrance! It is my own personal best skin scent – it just really works with my chemistry.

• melissa says:

Me too! It has that lovely persistent-but-transparent veil quality.

7. kindcrow says:

My SOTD is Red Cattleya by Olympic Orchids. I will be all by myself at the office for most of the day, so I applied three dabs instead of two. I feel (and smell) so decadent :-)

I am an introvert, and I prefer to stay in the office to get work done (nice and quiet), as opposed to attending off-site work parties.

Ha, I like the idea of an extra dab when nobody else is around :-)

8. Barqs says:

Chanel No. 19 edt for me today. I’ve probably worn this more than any other perfume I own this summer. Its so refreshing!!

9. teri says:

I’m wearing Caron’s French Can Can today and feeling like a million bucks. :) I have a deep and abiding love for scents of the 30s and 40s, and this is a lovely example.

10. Rictor07 says:

Wearing Lacoste L 12 12 Vert today.

11. sterling925 says:

Today I’m wearing Marni. I bought a bottle last summer but have been neglecting it!

12. foxbins says:

Elizabeth Arden Spiced Green Tea today, inspired by Robin’s post last month about spicy summer fragrances. This one lasts less than an hour on me. It’s a sheer veil of green tea, anise, ginger, rhubarb, and some flowers on a woody base. Cheap, too, which is good because I have to keep spraying!

13. CM says:

I’m wearing Dia today! Had to go light on the application as I’m in a training class today and didn’t want to go too heavy in close quarters. I have the Extrait on and it sits a bit closer to skin as well.

It’s humid… raining…. and Dia makes me happy.

• Dawn says:

I actually stuck with last night’s choice of wearing Dia today. I haven’t worn it in ages.

• CM says:

Yay! Scent twins today!

14. bastet says:

I’m continuing to test my new PdN samples – today its New York. I’m not sure it lives up to Luca Turin’s high praise (and five star billing), but it is very nice. Maybe I should try it on my husband . . .

• sayitisntso says:

The pre-reformulation of NY is a stunner. Even Mr. Turin has admitted that the reformulation of NY was poorly executed. Get yourself a sample of the old version if you can.

• bastet says:

Thanks for the advice, I’ll do that. And maybe by the time I get around to considering a FB (my wish list is very long) it will be available in an improved re-reformulation that is closer to the original.

• AnnE says:

ITA! One of my great perfume heartbreaks was getting my new reformulated (unknown to me) bottle because my original one was almost used up, and it had had the soul ripped out of it. :::sigh:::

15. Kelly says:

Wearing Imaginary Authors’ Mosaic – and pretending I am somewhere I Europe and not smack dab in the Midwest….

• AnnE says:

Great name!

• Kelly says:

imaginary Authors makes some great, quality juice! Love them!

16. Mary Carol says:

Today I’m wearing something that I found for a cheap price at Marshall’s. It’s Elizabeth Taylor Gardenia and it does smell good to me. I’m getting mostly gardenia, but I’m sure there are some other white flowers in it.

17. rose pepper says:

SOTD is Chanel Cristalle. Had my mid-year review with my manager and wanted something bright and sophisticated – I was so tired this morning :)

• Squirrely says:

Hope your review went well. : )

18. Parley says:

SOTD was Dior Dune over Crabtree and Evelyn Iris body lotion and it worked fine. I’m experimenting with layering the gently woodsy floral lotion with austere fragrances (I have a lot of those) to make them lusher, and it’s worked with all of them so far! The floral heart in Dune was amplified, normally they’re very indistinct and dry on me, and the top notes got even tinglier.

I felt kinda iffy in the afternoon so swapped my structured clothing and Dune for flowy cotton generously doused with Lush Lust. Heavy handed jasmine is my comfort scent, calms me down and settles my stomach. Funny how that works!

• sweetgrass says:

The Dune/C&E combo sounds really interesting. I should try that.

• Parley says:

The C&E Iris lotion works with a surprising number of fragrances! I’m a newbie at scent layering but it seems pretty fool proof. It amplifies the floral and woody notes of perfumes, which makes me appreciate them in new ways. It’s great since my perfume collection is a bit limited!

19. aevangelia says:

Today I’m wearing i Profumi di Firenze’s Florentia 16 and feeling regal at an otherwise trivial desk job.

20. PriscillaE says:

SOTD is My Neighbor’s Yard from Smell Bent. Very, very green. Perfect for summer.

• PriscillaE says:

Sorry about that. It’s really The Yard Next Door.

21. galbanumgal says:

Off to a ladies lunch at the Botanic Garden–wearing Orangers en Fleurs, applied an hr ago, so as not to overwhelm. Hope we’ll get to sit on the terrace!

22. austenfan says:

I’m wearing the slightly weird but wonderful Eau d’Elide. It’s hot and muggy here today and Elide perfectly suits this weather.

I haven’t yet tried the Fraîche version of Terre, do you like it?

23. Eva S says:

Wearing Stephane Lucas 777 Oumma today- again. It’s such a smooth comforting scent I think, as long as I don’t think about the price that is…
    After my shover I think I’ll go with Amouage Epic. At the moment I’m going with quite heavy oriental scents because they bloom beatifully in the heat.

24. Ariel says:

Sampling Nest Amazon Lily today – nice light summer scent. Wish I liked it more (absolutely love that bottle).

• odonata9 says:

I was so excited when I saw those at Sephora! The bottles are beautiful, but i don’t love any of them either.

• Ariel says:

The bottles would be absolutely lovely lined up and used as bud vases (but not at that price). I’m finding the perfume to be too soapy for my taste. I also have a sample of the Dahlias and Vines to try, maybe it’ll be better.

25. AnnS says:

I put on Bottega Veneta eau Legere first thing this morning b/c it was cool up here, and I love the sheer warmth of it. But after lunch I put on Cartier So Pretty to get my rose on!

26. AnnieA says:

Wearing Bendelerious, and it’s the first disappearing ELdO I’ve come across. Usually they’re about the only outfit around who can stand up to my scent-eating skin. Ah well, cute while it lasts…

• hajusuuri says:

I bought a FB unsniffed and it is still unsniffed. Do you like it?

27. Squirrely says:

Penhaligon`s Peoneve this morning, then after spin I put on some Rosabotanica, which is an interesting scent. It goes on smelling like a cleaning product (which isn’t that bad, since I wasn’t able to shower after the gym!) but the mid and base notes are really nice. I wouldn’t buy a bottle, but if I was given one, I wouldn’t be displeased.

28. thegoddessrena says:

Jardins d’Armide– one of my favorite buys of the year.

29. sweetgrass says:

I’ve got a combo going on. Last weekend I was at the Museum of Fine Arts, and on a whim I picked up a few Royal Apothic rollerballs. They’re just single accord fragrances meant to be layered with each other. I got Earl Grey, Green Tea and Hyacinth. I’m wearing all 3 and they smell really good together. I initially was only going to get Earl Grey and Hyacinth because they were my two favorites, but I really liked how the Earl Grey and Green Tea smelled together.

One drawback with these, though, is that the ball doesn’t roll around very freely in the top, so they don’t really apply as well as I’d like them to.

• MikasMinion says:

I like the Hyacinth too. I got mine a few years ago when Anthro had one of those sales where the merch. appears out of nowhere and has never been on offer at regular price. I missed the Earl Grey and Green Tea, bet they are good.

• hajusuuri says:

Anthropologie has got to be the most confusing store ever. I guess it goes with its eclectic style.

30. floragal says:

Enjoying Dior’s Ambre Nuit today. Would love to get a FB of this. Such a beautiful scent.

31. odonata9 says:

JM Blackberry & Bay for me today. Fruity, but not overly sweet. Seems like it works in just about any weather. Glad I got a bottle of this one!

32. MikasMinion says:

I’m practicing for tomorrow. You, enablers that you are, forced me to place a huge sample order just so that I would have something unsniffed for Friday. Now I just wish I could blame you for the expensive watch I ordered last night. Darn Nordies and their Anniversary Sale.
    Started out with Urura’s Tokyo Cafe. I really like the opening but the drydown smells like sunscreen on me :/ I smell like sunscreen most non-work days so it isn’t what I’m looking for in a perfume. I tossed a couple of other samples in my pocket to try and ended up squirting a co-worker with Coup de Foudre which I now wish I had worn myself.
    I have a manufacturers sample of La Fin du Monde in my pocket but can’t get the stopper out. Come on EldO, spring for a spray on your nice sized sample. I know you can afford to.

I am pretty sure that’s right, you can blame people here for any money you spend on anything.

33. Laila says:

*Almost* a pool day here but, again, it was *almost* (but not quite) a summer day. I wore my favorite post-pool scent, YR’s Monoi Eau des Vahines, anyway, just to pretend.

Even my garden is confused by the strange weather this summer. Just yesterday, several of my lilac bushes sprouted a few blossoms! Is it spring? Nope, it’s mid-July.

34. Merlin says:

I wore Azure for the first time in winter today (its a slightly warmer winter day than it has been for the last freezing week, but its still winter). I’m quite surprised to find that I prefer this perfume in summer. It stays too close to the skin in winter and its dryness is more pleasing in summer.

35. happy888cat says:

Terracotta Le Parfum today. The lightly sweet and creamy tiare flowers just makes me happy :)

36. poodle says:

I wore Hanae Mori today. Usually I get a lot of vanilla but today with the humidity it seemed to be much more flowery than usual. It was actually a nice surprise.

37. hajusuuri says:

SOTD = Atelier Cologne Cedrat Enivrant

It was perfect for a beautiful day in Boston. I met up with Farouche with whom I had swapped several times. We had lunch at a quaint Italian restaurant in North Square then walked over to a shop called Officina 189 that sells Italian goods (bikes, watches, jewelry, coffee makers, candles and Perfumes!). Oh my, I must get the My Inner Island Vanilla – I think it will be one my bestie vanillas ever! Farouche gets a Gold enabler’ spin for introducing me to the shop. Mwah!

I was fretting over not being able to participate in grab bag sample Friday but I scored big with lots and lots of samples from window shopping on posh Newbury Street!

• farouche says:

What fun! I wish I could have joined you on Newbury St. for window shopping…always a treat :-)

38. perthgirl says:

It’s already Friday but yesterday’s pick was Goutal’s Myrrhe Ardente, with matching body products. I haven’t worn it since last year and before it seemed more herbal and root-beerish, this year however I notice the spiced honey more which makes it seem far nicer than I remember!

39. missionista says:

Cuir de Lancome today–it was just the right weight for a somewhat grey and overcast day, but I think I don’t like it on me very much.