Serge Lutens L’Orpheline ~ new fragrance

Serge Lutens L'Orpheline, film still

Serge Lutens has launched L'Orpheline (the orphan), the brand's latest fragrance in the export (spray bottle) range.

L'Orpheline was reportedly inspired by ashes and the notes include incense and musk, among others.

Serge Lutens L'Orpheline is available now in Paris at the Palais Royal - Serge Lutens; 50 ml Eau de Parfum €99. It will reportedly be available at the Serge Lutens website tomorrow and at retailers in September.

The video:

Update: the image at top is a still from the film, and the lighting makes the bottle look "decorated" when in fact I'm nearly sure it's the "standard" export bottle.

Serge Lutens L'Orpheline, packaging

Another update: an image of the bottle (just above), and the description of the fragrance from the Serge Lutens website: "Fragile but whole. Its name hints at a break but before the fissures show, its first two syllable [sic] conjure Orpheus, a poet who could charm even stones."

(via elisadefeydeau.wordpress, Serge Lutens at Facebook)

1. Dusan says:

The notes sound remarkably similar to Gris Clair’s!

2. Merlin says:

That swaying geometrical figure is oddly appealing!

Ha…just as well, since there is little enough other information to go on, as usual :-)

• Merlin says:

Actually I think I have a very clear idea of how it smells, just like
        that space within us we have in part relinquished.

In a fertile feminine world everything except our inner child, who always remains within us, grows and thrives.

And, as it evolves in this terrestrial space, caught between moon and earth our little orphan will loose her footing.

She will walk the tightrope but remember only her fall.

She is the snag in a loose christening dress.

Like a child recovering from a long fever. She is the glimmer of a smile.

Betrothed to the dust which sheds its grey veil to infinity. She will remember only its fantasy of black and white.

Or, to paraphrase, ???

• poodle says:

Right. I mean, that makes perfect sense doesn’t it?

I can smell it right now.

• Merlin says:

Top notes: hackneyed political/philosophical themes
          heart notes: non-sequiters
          basenotes: ticker-taped images

This time it seems safe to buy it blind :-D

• Marjorie Rose says:

*snort!*

• meredifay says:

OH, you all are so funny! I love coming to NST for the perfumes and the comments equally….

• ihadanidea says:

Well played, madam. Well played.

• Merlin says:

Although today I’m feeling repentant about yesterday’s attack, lol! It is quite a moody evocative piece and may make more sense in French. I also like its whimsical tone…

3. des esseintes says:

I often fall for perfumes which has a melanholic, instrospective feel them. There aren’t many but for instance Apred L’Ondee and Messe de Minuit comes to mind. Not only their names (if I’m not fooling myself, which is easy when it comes to something as abstract as fragrance), but in they make me feel.
    L’Orpheline sounds more promising than his last 3-4 ones.

Let’s hope…it’s been a long time since I’ve loved anything from the line.

• pyramus says:

I fell instantly and madly in love with Jeux de Peau. Nothing he’s released since then has interested me in the least, not even Vitriol d’Oeillet (and carnations are my most beloved flower). Santal Majuscule was nice enough but completely unoriginal. It’s been mostly duds for a while now.

• poodle says:

If this has that melancholy feel I’ll love it too. If it’s got incense we’re off to a good start for me at least.

• Merlin says:

Does this mean we will all be melancholic if it turns out to not be melancholic :-o

4. scentfromabove says:

When I first saw this bottle, I thought it was my beloved Jo Malone. The bottles look so similar to me.

5. indogirl says:

It does come in the “standard” export bottle.
    I was in Paris last week and by chance happened to go to the Lutens shop at Palais Royal on Saturday afternoon which coincided with L’Orpheline’s launch event and I was invited to go upstairs to test it, lucky me! I am a ditherer so could not decide right away but I went back on Monday morning before flying home and bought a bottle…
    Unfortunately I am not very good at describing perfumes and not familiar enough with Lutens’s line to make comparisons but the assistant mentioned ash and incense when she described it to me. I would say it is quite subdued compared to some of Lutens’s other fragrances which suits me, but I find it quite comforting and less “wintry” than my favourite Lutens, Feminite du Bois.