Friday scent of the day 6/20

fruit

Welcome to Fruity Friday! Today's community project: wear something fruity.

As always, if that didn't work for you, do chime in anyway.

I'm wearing Byredo Pulp, the most intensely fruity fragrance I know. I haven't worn it in ages and it made me laugh as soon as I put it on. Not everybody loves it — Rappleyea said in the comments the other day that it was one of the few fragrances that made her gag.

Reminder: Next Friday, the 27th, will be Forgotten Friends Day — wear something you haven't worn in ages, or that you tend to forget that you own, or the like.

And for those of you who like to plan ahead, see Scent of the day ~ Friday community projects 2014, where I'll try to always have the next six or seven weeks mapped out in advance.

Note: top image is 254/365: 09/11/2013. Fruits! [cropped & altered] by peddhapati at flickr; some rights reserved.

1. melissa says:

Happy Fruity Friday everyone! TGIF and then some. I’m wearing Fresh Sake, a fun and happy, if slightly shampoo-y, pan-Asian fusion peach.

Gosh, Fresh has really slowed down on the fragrance releases, haven’t they? I remember Sake.

• melissa says:

Especially feels that way since I have tried to wipe Life from my memory entirely!

• MikasMinion says:

Ooh, I lived that one and regret not snagging it. I love shampoo-y fruity stuff just as much as difficult perfumista-snob stuff.

• melissa says:

You mean before price increases? It’s still available at Sephora. I also dig the occasional shampoo or laundry reference, especially on hot summer days.

• MikasMinion says:

I didn’t see it at my last visit to Sephora and assumed it had been axed. They didn’t have the Hesperides Grapefrut either and I quite like it too. I just checked the website and they are both still listed and Fig Apricot is still around too (haven’t seen it in years). Guess my local Sephoras just need more room for their cosmetics displays.

• melissa says:

Probably. And Fresh seems to be focusing on skincare more too.

• Laurels says:

My little local Sephora routinely axes entire lines from the store. I wish I lived closer to one of the huge ones.

• nozknoz says:

Speaking of Fresh fruit, I love Pomegranate Anise, but in the winter, and there used to be one called Cucumber Baies (berries) that was good, too. I should try Sake again…

2. kindcrow says:

My SOTD is Red Cattleya by Olympic Orchids.
    It’s been called a fruity floral for adults and it’s likened to entering a Victorian hothouse filled with orchids from around the world. On me, it’s a combination of ripe (not rotten) fruit (mostly melon), lilac, and spice. It’s quite potent, so I just use two or three dabs from the sample vial. I could not imagine spraying this. I agree with the perfumer that Red Cattleya is sumptuous.

My nose is grateful that this perfumer realizes that you can produce a mature fruity floral without making it smell dirty, sweaty, dank, or indolic.

Here is a link to a review by someone (with a familiar name) who didn’t study the list of notes before trying this perfume: http://australianperfumejunkies.com/2013/08/15/red-cattleyea-by-ellen-covey-for-olympic-orchids/.

Hey, it’s Poodle! Thanks for the link.

• mals86 says:

That one wound up being too sweet for me, but I agree, it’s a nice mature fruity floral.

• kindcrow says:

I do have a high tolerance for the sweet stuff :-)

• Marjorie Rose says:

Oh, how fun is that review?! I am already planning on stealing her idea about introducing foods with Mr. Spicebomb–he has some food limitations that seem to more come from an assumption of “badness” then from his actual preferences (when tested without knowledge). OTOH, he doesn’t like being perceived as picky, so he’s very game to try something I’ve cooked or ordered from a restaurant, to show that he’s openminded. :)

• Portia says:

Heya NST,
      Thanks for the link, Poodle will be thrilled that you have linked her piece, I will tell her immediately.
      Hope all is swell for you guys.
      Portia xx

• poodle says:

That review looks familiar…oh wait, that’s me! :)
      Thanks so much for the mention kindcrow!
      It is probably a scent to dab on for most people but I spray. My skin brings it down to a dull roar in no time.

• kindcrow says:

You are welcome. I really enjoyed your review!

• kindcrow says:

I just went for a walk outside. As I suspected, this stuff blooms nicely in the heat (It’s in the upper 80s and clmbing.) I am now catching faint whiffs of gardenia.

3. Janice says:

I’m wearing Bombay Bling, which has a big mango note—or as Kevin said when he reviewed it, Mango! Mango! MANGO! When I first heard about this it didn’t seem tempting, but I liked Trayee so much I eventually bought the Neela Vermeire discovery set and wore this on a vacation a couple summers ago… it was perfect.

Yes, that’s mango…even more than my other summer fruity favorite, Parfums de Nicolai Eau Exotique.

• CM says:

I love PdN Eau Exotique and Eau Turquoise (supposedly a renamed version of Eau Turquiose). I am less than half a bottle away from empty and keep hoping she re-releases this scent.

I *almost* went with Bombay Bling today as well…. it’s fantasmangastic!

I did not love Turquoise as much, and am sort-of hoarding my Exotique.

• egabbert says:

Oh yes. Like getting whomped over the head with a mango, even. It was a bit much for me, but I loved the drydown.

• Laurels says:

I love Bombay Bling! I almost wore it today, but decided I didn’t want to waste the little I have left on a day of babysitting, cleaning, and catching up on laundry.

4. PriscillaE says:

I’m wearing AA Pampelune. I always consider the citrus fragrances more aromatic than fruity in nature, but since I don’t think I own any fruity fragrances other than citruses (other than Calyx which I wore earlier this week), Pamplelune will have to do. I could have worn Tutti Kiwi, but I like Pampelune better.

I salute your choice even though I cannot wear it :-)

5. perthgirl says:

Being winter an’ all, I went for Aziyade by PdE- pomegranate, candied orange, dates, prunes etc. Not everyone loves this either (I think Robin you were in the ‘nuh’ camp?), and I find it a bit cloying unless it’s cold out, then it becomes quite cozy. And another in the sweet category discussed in the bonbon review…

You know, I think my cumin tolerance has increased, I should try it again!

• Marjorie Rose says:

I really like Aziyade! It hasn’t compelled me to *quite* buy it, but close several times! All that voluptuous fruit is welcome in the colder months, for sure!

• poodle says:

I have a sample of that one and I keep thinking I may want a bottle. Good choice.

6. relleric says:

SOTD is Andy Warhol (Bond No 9), it is as fruity as I could muster today. The peach/plum combined with incense is really nice, not too heavy.

7. teri says:

Grenats by Keiko Mecheri for me today. Fruity but tart and tangy. Maybe a bit full-bodied for our 90-degree day, but then again, I’ll be inside in the meat locker office temps so I’m sure it will work out just dandy.

Ugh, I hate cold offices!

• hajusuuri says:

I’m the opposite. I love cold offices because I can make myself warmer by layering but if it’s too hot, I’m doomed.

8. trixiesweet says:

Byredo Pulp sounds gorgeous!

I am wearing Osmanthus Interdite. Besides it being a staple, it has a gorgeous apricot note (osmanthus, I guess). Unfortunately, I have a cold so can only smell it a tiny bit!

Not sure I’d use the word gorgeous…you don’t swoon over the beauty so much as you laugh at the audaciousness of the fruit.

• trixiesweet says:

I’ll have to order a tester. It seems the most popular from that line, too.

9. C.H. says:

Jardin en Med this AM (but I’m going out for a lunchtime run so maybe I’ll be back with something different this afternoon!) Not sure I’ve yet met a fig I didn’t love :)

Love fig in general, but pretty sure I’ve met figs I don’t love!

• C.H. says:

Haha well now that piques my curiosity! I suppose usually we really don’t go in for this kind of haterade around here, but I have to admit I would love to see a poll where people mentioned their least-favorite example of a usually-beloved note!

• Marjorie Rose says:

Huh–funny, I didn’t think of fig when I thought of fruity scents! Sort of like the comment above about citrus being more “aromatic” than fruity, it is, of course fruit! Likewise, fig in my head is more “green” than fruit, but you are, of course, perfectly correct! Funny how categories get made. . .

• C.H. says:

Haha, no me too!! I truly had a moment where I went–“Wait, IS fig a fruit?!”

• HemlockSillage says:

Me, too! I did not think of fig at all for Fruity Friday. I immediately thought of everything else. Dang. I could have rocked Méditerranée, too. I think I just did not consider citrus or for some reason fig. Weird. I think I have a mental block about fruit scents. . .

• hajusuuri says:

I actually thought of fig first but ended up scrapping Philosykos for Fruity Friday.

10. happy888cat says:

I am layering Jo Malones today!
    Nectarine blossom & Honey with Blackberry & Bay. I love this combination because the bay leaf can be a little green and cold for me and the honey will soften and round it out. :)

Ah, I can see that being a nice combo.

• Lucy says:

Nectarine blossom and honey seems to layer with just about anything. Good choice.

• scentfromabove says:

I can’t believe I never tried these two together! I will have to try it. It is true, NB and H can pretty much be combined with anything and smell fantastic.

• hajusuuri says:

Oooh, I like the idea of layering these two. I tried Silk Blossom yesterday during my mini-sniffa with thegoddessrena and I quite liked it.

11. 2rista says:

I haven`t got many fruity fragrances but Un Jardin sur le Nil must qualify with its mango and grapefruit. Unfortunately I’ve used up my samples of Orange Sanguine and Cedrat Enivrant.

Enjoy your weekend: I’m emigrating to the coast for the summer :)

By the way, I’ve never seen Bronze Goddess here in Spain; is it sold in Europe?

Yes…El Corte Ingles had it, but don’t know if all stores, and it sells out fast.

• 2rista says:

Thanks Robin. I’ll see if I can find it in my local branch. My local Sephora doesn’t stock it.

It’s already gone from most of the stores I’ve checked in the US…I decided too late that I wanted the whipped body cream. I know El Corte Ingles had it because I meant to stop there while I was in Barcelona, but then I never found time. I’ll have to wait until next year!

Sephora in the US doesn’t carry EL, but don’t know about other countries.

• 2rista says:

They do here, but not BG. I’m going to Barcelona next month, so will have a look if I can’t find it in Jerez. I just want to try it as I’ve heard so much about it but never knew it existed intil I joined NST.

• melissa says:

The lady at my Estee Lauder counter told me their first shipment of the body cream sold out in one day.

• happy888cat says:

Spain is rather disappointing in the world of fragrance :( Living here can be a little frustrating at times, for me at least.
        They either never introduce it or are just limited to Madrid or something (and totally scarce in number).
        The Bronze goddess from this year never made it. They are still selling last year’s version (neither did the Pleasures flankers – ever.). I showed the SA this year’s splash, body range, she was all “never received any news about them”. Ugh. :(

Ah, so I had checked that El Corte Ingles had Bronze Goddess but maybe they did not have the 2014 line? I can’t remember for sure, just remember that I checked online.

• 2rista says:

I’ve recently found some good niche perfumerías, but it’s the mainstream lines that are often lacking.

12. sayitisntso says:

Carnal Flower Friday. I love it, love it, love it…..but it’s …ummm… a bit much for the office! It being a short work day, I took it out for a spin and it sure is purdy.

• sayitisntso says:

I don’t own any fruity fragrances. :( Not my style.

Hey, but you’re wearing some melon!

• egabbert says:

Coconut in there too :)

• HemlockSillage says:

Melon? Srsly? In Carnal Flower? I get the coconut, but I did not smell melon. Now I’ll have to bust out CF and re sniff :D You guys teach me stuff. Thanks.

• mals86 says:

I only get a lightning-fast whiff of honeydew, like three seconds, and then it’s gone.

• HemlockSillage says:

I struggled with the fruit assignment, too. It’s ok, everyone has different tastes. I adore CF’s huge humid tuberose mixed with its cool camphoraceous vibe. Fascinating. You smell amazing. Be well.

13. Mary Carol says:

I was going to wear something with pineapple, or maybe orange, but decided to reach for DeRae Emotionnelle, with its blast of melon, something many would stay away from. It smells nice on me, though, but I do have to be careful how much I put on, as it seems to really project and it lasts many hours.

• nozknoz says:

That one is BIG – it needs a special applicator!

14. donnie says:

(Admit I didn’t think of citrus as “fruit.”)
    Frapin Paradis Perdu. Very green but with a Juicy Fruit chewing gum note in the center that I assume to be the not-grandiosely-named paradisamide.

• Merlin says:

Citrus does usually get its own category, but since the aim is fun, lol!

15. lucasai says:

My Fruity Friday is sponsored by Neela Vermeire Creations Bombay Bling :D

• Laurels says:

You smell fantastic.

• hajusuuri says:

I considered Bombay Bling but was too lazy to go get it from cooler storage (i.e. the basement)

16. bastet says:

I’m wearing Mur et Musc (for the blackberry), and inspired by yesterday’s post I also dabbed on a bit of BS White Musk – they smell nice together.

• melissa says:

I adore that one!

• Merlin says:

Oh cool, we are twins! I’m wearing the extreme version of M et M and have it layered over Kieh’s Musk, of which I am still using a sample. I decided to go with a warmer musk because I find M et M ext. to be a little too much like some kind of fizzy berry soda. The musk definitely reigned it in and made it softer and more sophisticated. But, I found it perhaps a little too subdued so i may need to try a ‘white’ type of musk.

• Merlin says:

I just went and re-spritzed since this morning’s has just about gone and I have to say the first few hours of MetM Xtreme with Kiehls is gorgeous. It’s like a deep dark sweet berry jam.

17. ihadanidea says:

Trying a decant of Quelques Fleurs Royale that a generous salesman at Bergdorf Goodman made for me. It’s sweet grapefruit right now a few minutes after I’ve put it on, and it dries down to something quite pretty. Pretty is not usually my thing, but I’m interested…

• ihadanidea says:

And Robin, you’ve inspired me to listen to the band Pulp for the day. It’ll be my theme. Thank you!

• MikasMinion says:

Lol. The first song chosen randomly by my player this morning was Like A Friend, which is now stuck in my head.

• ihadanidea says:

Come over and hang out at my desk, Mikas – we’ll have a singalong.

• hajusuuri says:

ihadanidea, thegoddessrena and I were just talking about you yesterday! If you ever want to go sniffing in NYC, let us know. Thursdays are usually good. You can click on my name to get my contact info.

• ihadanidea says:

Yaaaay! Thank you so much for the invitation! I’m going to take you up on that now. Most of my sniffing adventures tend to be me by my lonesome, and though I’ve gotten used to it, it would be *so* nice to play with someone else. Emailing now…

• thegoddessrena says:

And my screen name is my yahoo address

• scentfromabove says:

I am going to write this one down. Huge fan of grapefruit scents. Sounds amazing!

• ihadanidea says:

It has definitely evolved into something different as it has dried down, but my nose is not yet sophisticated enough to be able to tell you exactly what it is I’m smelling. To my nose, it gets creamier (the vanilla in the base I think) as it goes along, but I think I’m still smelling a bit of the fruit that started the whole thing.

Wish I could be more helpful!

• scentfromabove says:

No worries, even the dry down sounds nice :)

18. nebbe says:

Kelly Caleche (grapefruit). I have a grown up meeting in a couple hours so I can’t start out the day with the blast of tropical fruit I would have otherwise chosen to honor today’s theme.

• ihadanidea says:

Every time I’ve tried that one, it’s made me feel very put-together and on my game. Hope it does the same for you as you face the grownups!

• scentfromabove says:

I want to try this. Love grapefruit fragrances. :)

• mals86 says:

I can’t manage the edt (the original) – it’s too vegetal for me – but I love the edp, which is more rosy and less vetiver. Such a nice scent, though.

• nebbe says:

KC was perfect, meeting went great. Life is better in grapefruit and leather! Rhyme is on purpose!)

• hajusuuri says:

Kelly Caleche is one of my all time favorite perfumes. It makes me feel super-confident!

19. Squirrely says:

Oh man, I really choked this morning. As I was getting reading, I decided on Ineke’s Balmy Days & Sundays, because I love that bright lemon opening and hadn’t worn it in ages. I sprayed it on and thought, hmm, I’m not getting much citrus here. Then I realized, it wasn’t Balmy Days I wanted, it was Chemical Bonding! I went into my sample storage and read the Chemical Bonding notes, sure enough, that’s what I’d meant to spray. Oh well, I thought, might as well carry on with Balmy Days – so I went to do another spritz or two to round out my application and instantly realized I’d accidentally picked up my Jo Malone sample of Pomegranate Noir. So yeah, I’ve layered two scents today, neither of which I meant to wear.

So ready for the weekend…

• thegoddessrena says:

Well, at least Pomegranate Noir is on theme….

• rivercitylizzy says:

Your heart was certainly in the right place; Chemical Bonding is on my wishlist for full size purchases!

20. floragal says:

Happy Friday! What a week; so in need of a good sleep in tomorrow.

Not a big fruity scent fan, but I do enjoy PdN’s L’Eau a la Folie and this has a nice mango-y/tropical vibe to it. It’s not a very fruity scent overall, but I do smell the fruit and it lasts a good long time (so important to me) even though its a lighter scent.

Hoping to learn about some other nice fruit-scented options via today’s project!

• hajusuuri says:

L’eau a la Folie was my practice Fruity Friday scent yesterday. For a cologne, it is surprisingly tenacious.

21. mals86 says:

I’m actually spoiled for choice with fruity florals (STOP THAT, NO JUDGING! :) ), but today I’m wearing Petite Cherie. I am working at home and hanging out with my 13-year-old, so I don’t have to be mature.

Could have picked PdRosine Rose d’Ete (apple-rose), Hanae Mori Haute Couture (fruits, citrus, and green jasmine, very summery), the first Ines de la Fressange (peach, rose, sandalwood), Moschino Funny! (grapefruit, tea, rose), or Pamplelune (which zooms past the grapefruit on my skin and is very floral). Or Ferre 20, which is a nice aldehydic woody musk that incorporates that blackberry-tinged musk.

• C.H. says:

Rose d’Ete was among my runners up too! Maybe later this afternoon :)

• Regina says:

I wore Petite Cherie too! Layered with Omnia Crystalline to make the pear in the Omnia less wimpy. My favorite fruity combo.

22. Coumarin says:

Serge Lutens’s El Attarine, like an Indian chutney. And it’s dead sexy. I was having a hard time finding something fruity in my collection but this one is jaw dropping, especially in the heat.

• Squirrely says:

I have never heard of this Serge – just looked it up. It sounds amazing! Cumin is one of my favorite notes (and, ahem, I have been known to eat chutney straight from the jar…)

• Coumarin says:

Kindred spirit! I too eat chutney… Unaccompanied…. Yum!

it’s definitely worth a sample if that sounds appealing.

• nozknoz says:

I love the name so much, I should keep trying it until I get used to the cumin. ;-)

23. egabbert says:

I went with Badgley Mischka. I’ve had a bottle for a long time, but let it malinger for a while and lately it’s been speaking to me again. I almost wore 1969, which I blind-bought a purse spray of from Urban Outfitters, on sale, last week. At $4.99, I figured it’s basically a big sample! (P.S. Love love love Pulp.)

• Jonette says:

I love Badgley Mischka. I wanted to wear it today, but my sample was used up ages ago. :( It’s too much, (powerful, neon, loud, I want to see excruciatingly beautiful-in-your-face) for me to get a fb, but I may someday get another sample. You smell great!

• Laurels says:

Oh, I forgot about that fruity opening! I love Badgley Mischka. And I’m jealous of your bargain 1969.

24. morgana says:

comme des garcons rhubarb

25. nozknoz says:

One fruity fragrance to rule them all: Escada Summer in Provence, in the cheery box with red poppies and straw-colored cane work. The year was 1994, and Summer in Provence was the second in the now 22-fragrance summer series. Strawberry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pure, light-hearted summer happiness.

And at the same time, two decades and thousands of fruity florals later, I’m surprised by what a perfect perfume composition it is.

26. AnnS says:

It was a real struggle for me this morning with my limited selection (mostly fall/winter), and I wanted something summery. I ended up putting on AG Ce Soir ou Jamais edp, which starts with a rich pear and those weird herbs/spices/ambrette and then hangs on to that rich rose for hours. I’m seeing my mom later today and the roses are in honor of her garden…. Definitely not a fragrance for work, but I do smell great!

• nozknoz says:

That sounds good, I need to try it again when I can pay attention to the evolution.

27. Lucy says:

I had wanted to go with Parfum de Therese today, but my sample is almost out and I can’t bear to finish it yet. So, SOTD is Calyx. A few years ago I told everyone here it was overripe on me. Turns out it smells much better if my skin is super clean and dry. (Just out of the shower, no lotions nor oils underneath.) Now I rather enjoy being able to control/manipulate a scent so much.

28. cologneluvr says:

SOTD: ALVAREZ GOMEZ EAU DE COLONIA CONCENTRADA

29. Laila says:

Breakfast in the garden
    Under a flowering tree
    Black currant jam and cocoa
    Stirs fond memories in me.

Yep, AG’s Eau de Charlotte is my choice today. I adore this whimsical scent, its charming combination of notes creating a fragrance unique and instantly recognizable. Tart berries and dry, powdery cocoa (I don’t find this scent sweet as some have described) with a subdued LOTV and mimosa, it’s one of the few that stays with me all day.

Wearing EdC, I revisit my childhood; the journey back to innocence and joy refreshes me and (I hope) helps prevent me from becoming a crabby, old curmudgeon! Plus I love the story of the perfume’s creation . . . .

• Vanie says:

I have a sample of this one that I haven’t tried yet. I was a bit put off by the cocoa note, but the image you describe makes so much sense now! I’ll definitely try it soon. Thanks!

30. scentfromabove says:

I am so rooty, tutti, fresh, and fruity today! My SOTD is Nectarine Blossom and Honey by Jo Malone and Pink Grapefruit from The Body Shop. I showered with the JM Nectarine shower jel, used the Pink Grapefruit body butter and body spray and topped it all off with the JM perfume. The two fragrances together are simply divine. Smelling fresh and fruity is fabulous.

• Squirrely says:

That sounds so good. I’m going to try layering my Nectarine Blossom and Honey with something super citrusy this afternoon. Since my only complaint about NB&H is that I wish it had more “bite” I like the sound of this combo a lot.

• Jonette says:

Well, you’ve all convinced me that I have to get my hands on Nectarine Blossom and Honey!

• scentfromabove says:

Do tell us what you think of it. You won’t be disappointed!

31. Marjorie Rose says:

Wearing my only fruity floral–Ange ou Demon: Le Secret, from Givenchy. It has what they call “cranberries,” but I sense as a sort of candied citrus with anonymous pink berries.

I was thinking about fruit last weekend, actually, as I was picking fresh Hood strawberries with Mr. Spicebomb. The *smell* of that strawberry field was absolutely intoxicating!!! Why, then, must anything that’s meant to smell of “strawberry” be so horrible?! If anyone knows of a quality exception, please correct me, but I can’t think of anything that’s much better than children’s shampoo.

• C.H. says:

Yes! I’d like to see a strawberry that’s done in the way that Blackberry & Bay does blackberry–more tart than sweet.

• AnnS says:

There is a very nice strawberry note at the opening of the Givenchy Les Mythiques Interdit. I was thinking about it today – it’s a nice classic aldehyde, creamy, powdery, floral with a very soft amber base. But it’s a bit more “white shirt” than I wanted.

• egabbert says:

Imaginary Authors Cape Heartache has an interesting strawberry note.

• poodle says:

I was just going to say Cape Heartache but you beat me to it.

• Jonette says:

I still have scent-ghost memories of Diorama, which had a wonderful strawberry note! Alas, it is gone (but not forgotten).

• nozknoz says:

There is Hilde Soliani Fraaagola Saalaaata (salted strawberry). I have not tried it, but I know some of her other perfumes are good. You can get a sample on luckyscent.

It is odd, I agree: ripe strawberries have a delicious aroma, and I can’t understand why there aren’t more good strawberry notes.

I love Escada Summer in Provence, but it’s sort of ambery, too – not a fresh, tart-sweet strawberry smell.

32. tomate farcie says:

For me it’s Atelier Cologne Orange Sanguine, big juicy orange with a gorgeous dry-down..
    Have a great weekend all you lovely fruit cakes!

• AnnieA says:

That’s what I was going to wear too! I spritzed myself with the same-looking Trefle Pure bottle instead, whoops.

• tomate farcie says:

Ooooh I want to try that one!

• anngd says:

I went with Grand Neroli. Have you compared the scents?

Many great leads here. Happy Fruity Friday all!

• leathermountain says:

I don’t know Trefle Pur, but I have compared Orange Sanguine and Grand Neroli. I’d say they’re pretty true to their names.

I’m off neroli these days, so that was an easy choice.

But now I find that Orange Sanguine has a more artificial woodsy base thing going on than what I remember from my first decant, so that has become disappointment as well. I honestly suspect reformulation.

• kindcrow says:

I was disappointed by the artificial woody base of Orange Sanguine. Perhaps I should have ordered a sample when the fragrance was first introduced.

• scentfromabove says:

I just received my bottle a few days ago. I would have worn it today, but it was my SOTD a few days ago. Anyway, you made a good choice. Orange Sanguine is amazing.

• anngd says:

I’ll try it. Thanks!

33. foxbins says:

I only have one perfume that comes to mind when I think Fruit with a capital F–I am scent twins with egabbert in Badgley Mischka, a fruit basket in a bottle. It makes me laugh every time I wear it (which is not often, I must admit.)

34. thegoddessrena says:

Wearing Coeur d’Ete which contains lemon, grapefruit, mandarin oranges, banana and pear and is thus my fragrance that contains the most fruity notes

• poodle says:

I like that one. It’s not super sweet.

• leathermountain says:

Really?

I guess I put too much stock in listed notes again, but reading about that fruit salad plus heliotrope, I thought it would be a big serving of dessert. If not, I’d be more interested in learning more about it. :)

• thegoddessrena says:

It is actually quite a bit of lilac on me and I don’t get heliotrope at all

• poodle says:

I find it to be a lot softer than the notes imply. If I remember correctly it was created for someone who was pregnant or by someone who was pregnant and sensitive to a lot of smells at the time.

35. MikasMinion says:

I was so excited about Fruity Friday and then I was rushing to get the cats to the vet and completely forgot. Put on Tropic of Capricorn again. When it wears off I will wear Scarlet Larkspur for the bright cherry and currant.

• rivercitylizzy says:

Oh, man, Scarlet Larkspur! I really enjoy all of the Floral Curiosities (though I’ll admit that Briar Rose and Sweet William are a dead heat for my favorites in that line).

• MikasMinion says:

I like them all too and managed to snag a full bottle of each when my local Anthropologie was clearing them out.

36. Bee says:

I don’t have a big choice ( I guess you weren’t thinking of all the citrussy-head notes out there), but I took out my neglected Amethyst (Olivier Durbano) bottle, it’s O.K., grape and raspberry-ish but not a scent I would buy again.

37. ceebee_eebee says:

I don’t have a TON of fruity perfume choices so I went with Vero Profumo KiKi, This goes all kinds of tropical fruit on me but never veers into dreaded suntan lotion territory. SUCH a winner.

• HemlockSillage says:

Looove Kiki! Which version do you wear? The EdP? That’s the one I’d think would veer more fruity. I think of Kiki as a caramelized lavender, but it is one of my favorites. Amazing scent. This Fruity Friday is making me realize that I have more fruit things that I like than I’d realized.

• ceebee_eebee says:

Yup! EdP. There is definitely caramel, but I don’t get lavender on my skin. More like…overripe pulpy fruits. It smells totally different on my skin than on my scent friend’s, though. She ended up giving me her sample of it because of the lavender.

38. Kris says:

The original Ed Hardy. I know it is more for the younger generation, but I like that strawberry smell. It is fun for summer.

• Laurels says:

If you like it, I’m sure it’s perfect on you. I’m learning to worry less about what other people might think, as most of the time, nobody is paying that much attention anyway. I thought that Hanae Mori (“Butterfly”) smelled too “young” for me, but my mother loves it and wears it with pride.

39. rose pepper says:

Layered Atelier Orange Sanguine with eau de Marveilles. Love orange sanguine, it smells like peeling a tangerine :)

• Vanie says:

Wow! I must try that combo! I never think of layering my perfumes…

40. pyramus says:

Dior Eau Sauvage, which explodes with lemons and bergamot. Sometimes you gotta go with the classics.

• Coumarin says:

I just caught some windfall and am debating getting a huge bottle of this. I’m about to have my couch redone but I’m aching to purchase a large bottle of Eau Sauvage to spritz myself silly!

• nozknoz says:

It’s hard to beat Eau Sauvage!

41. marko says:

Ha! I’m wearing Byredo Pulp too!!! This is the second time we’ve been “Community Friday Scent Twins”, Robin….and that opening blast is pretty funny. I really enjoy it after about 4-5 hours when it mellows a bit and I can smell a soft figgy-wood mixed with the tart/sour pulp. Delicious.

I thought there would be more Pulp-wearers today — at least there are 2 of us!

• Lucy says:

There would be 3 if I owned any. I really must remember it next time I order samples.

42. CM says:

I went with Slumberhouse Pear and Olive today. I came across my bottle yesterday as I was looking for my decant of Bombay Bling, which is what I was planning to wear. But instead of reaching for BB, I wanted the juicy pear in the opening. It’s fantastic over the remnants of Guerlain’s Terracotta, btw.

• poodle says:

I’m not normally a pear person but Pear and Olive is wonderful. It’s a little weird at times because I get that blue cheese note but I really like it.

• CM says:

Interesting – I get no bleu cheese note at all and it’s hard to even imagine where that would come from! On me, it’s lightly sweetened pear that’s been soaked in olive oil lending it some earthiness. A bit weird and certainly modern. I love it!

• HemlockSillage says:

Pear & Olive is one of those fascinating scents–there is nothing like it. I think the sweet contrasted with the savory is why it intrigues me. It’s something I think fragrance oriented people should check out at some point–like we check out the classics, this is avant garde!

• Suzy Q says:

Pear + Olive is one of my favorite winter scents! I agree that the sweet/ savory contrast is very appealing. The balance is perfect.

• hajusuuri says:

CM! We are scent twins today!

• leathermountain says:

Not a Pear & Olive lover. I agree, it’s worth smelling for people who are very interested in bottled smells. But I don’t find it appealing as a perfume at all. The oil turns industrial, and pear is a stretch for me to begin with, so… an interesting experience, at least.

43. jirish says:

Wearing Black Orchid today, but wish I had more Pulp to wear. Can’t believe I tore through a 10 ml decant. Guess that means I should get a full bottle? It makes me laugh when I spray it on, and I don’t know of any other scent that does that.

44. sweetgrass says:

I decided to go with Calyx today. I blind bought this a few months ago, and it worked out well. On paper, it sounds like something I wouldn’t like, but I do. I think it’s just that slight hint of a garbagey note that keeps it from just being shampoo-y.

• Vanie says:

To me, it’s not really garbagey. More like ‘I should use this fruit in a smoothie today because it’s too ripe to eat as is and it’s gonna be garbage tomorrow’! But I agree with you that it is what’s keeping it from being shampoo-y.

• Suzy Q says:

I agree with you both. It starts to smell overly sweet but then that rottenness pulls it back. Maybe that’s what melds the scent your skin, too. The near-decay is closer to human flesh than it is to shampoo.

45. austenfan says:

I am cheating as I am wearing La Traversée du Bosphore. Which has fruit, but candied fruit, and a hint of violet so that will have to be the floral note required for today. Lovely fragrance, and so easy to wear.

46. poodle says:

I chose the fruit bomb that hubby likes for today and I always hate to admit wearing it.
    Dot by Marc Jacobs.
    Yup, I’m all pink berries and fruit cocktail.

47. Vanie says:

I’m wearing Salvador Dali Laguna today. It’s a miniature bottle I’ve had for probably 15 years and rediscovered (along with my whole miniatures collection, which I loved for the bottles as a kid and now for the perfumes) recently. I quite like it! Very summer appropriate, and not syrupy.

48. Oakland Fresca says:

Fruit sotd? Luden’s wild cherry throat drops… Mostly. I am the fourth person in my family to be Dxed w pneumonia in the past for weeks. We are a very sorry lot. Chest feels like a Mack truck is parked on it, but my nose is fine. Unfortunately I am still trying to like KM’s Loukhoum… Which was a very bad combination with the cherry throat candies… But now that we’re in dry down, the almond powder is working better with the cough medicine.

I was surprised to find how few bone fide fruit scents I own. I’ve used up the two Hermes colognes I had with citrus, and am left with a lovely bottle of Parfum D’ Empire’s Azemour les Orangers, and the discovery set bottle of Bombay Bling… Both of which I really like. But that is it. Very curious…

• Oakland Fresca says:

And Womanity… If you count that salty figgy fragrance as a fruit scent.

• MikasMinion says:

I think Womanity certainly counts. Hope y’all feel better soon!

• Jonette says:

Get well soon!

• poodle says:

I hope you feel better soon. Get some rest.

• scentfromabove says:

Being sick is the absolute worst. Hope you feel better really soon.

49. HemlockSillage says:

This morning, I somewhat grumblingly picked a BIG fruity thing to wear, because I adore this group, and want to participate. You guys teach me so much. This is why I love this community of perfumistas (or fragonerds as my brother has dubbed me). I really resist fruit in perfume, but reading people’s posts, there are so many scents I love that are heavily fruit based.

I’m glad to work on setting aside my biases, and step out of my comfort zone. I’m also wearing Pulp, with less joy than some of you. . .I dug through my samples and thought, THAT is fruity. Strangely, I did not consider citrus or fig scents to wear. I think of melons, pineapple, peach, apricot, currant, pear and plum when I think of fruit in fragrance. If the note is dominant, it is tricky for me to enjoy.

There ARE exceptions–Le Parfum de Thérèse, Boxeuses, Daim Blond, Parure, Ambre Narguilé all fascinate me, but on some days, they repel me as well. Do you have fragrances that you love one day and just not really like much the next? Even accounting for seasonal perfume rotation, mood and state of mind plays a huge role in how I react to a fragrance. I couldn’t fairly do what Robin, Kevin, Jessica and Angela do routinely :D Thanks for a great, fun Friday challenge. Be well.

• Vanie says:

I too thought that citrus or fig scents didn’t really count… It felt like cheating to me, don’t know why!? :-)
      (Not judging those who chose citrus or figs, though!!)

• egabbert says:

Maybe because citrus, especially bergamot, is so often a top note? Feels too easy?

• kindcrow says:

Yes. Good explanation.

• leathermountain says:

Too easy to like?

• kindcrow says:

This is just my interpretation but … I interpreted it to mean that citrus (especially bergamot) is so common in the fleeting top notes of most perfumes, so calling something a fruity perfume when it only has a few minutes of bergamot in the top notes makes choosing something for Fruity Friday too easy? Shalimar has citrus fruit in it and flowers, but I’ve never heard anyone call it a “fruity floral.”

And I am not judging anyone who didn’t get super fruity today :-)

• kindcrow says:

Fragonerd! I like. It’s another to add to my list. Nature nerd, bird nerd, word nerd, and fragonerd!

• Merlin says:

If its any consolation I regard my one spritz of Pulp, in a shop, to have been a fairly traumatic experience. I’v not been able to give Byredo a fair chance since.

• mals86 says:

It was a sticky, melted-fruit-pop kind of thing on me too. Could not deal.

• Merlin says:

That sounds pleasant compared to what I remember :-D

• Rappleyea says:

Merlin – our experiences with Pulp and Byredo are identical! I even wrote a haiku on it for one our haiku posts:

Greedy child vomits
        After eating too much fruit
        I must go shower

• missionista says:

Heh. Fragonerd. Love it!

• scentfromabove says:

Just read your post to my brother and he said, “Yeah, that’s what you are. A Fragonerd!”
      So, you are not alone. You’re in good company. :)

• Rappleyea says:

“Do you have fragrances that you love one day and just not really like much the next?”

Great question, Hemlocksillage! And the answer for me is one you listed: Therese. I only have a sample, but I waver between loving it and thinking I need to own this classic, and being nauseated by the melon!

50. platinum14 says:

“Fruity” is not a category that is well represented in my fragrance wardrobe. I have fragrances that contain a fruity note or 2, but they are not what I would qualify as fruity.
    So I decided to go with Calyx.
    When Calyx first came out, a good friend from university fell in love with it. When she moved away to a small town, it became impossible for her to find it. One year, she asked me to pick up a new bottle for her. When I did, the SA gave me a sample.
    Last year, when it appeared of the shelf of my neighbourhood’s discount store I got my own bottle.

51. caffeinequeen says:

I’ve been playing too much Fruit Ninja, because I saw that picture up top and had to resist the urge to swipe my finger across it!

Today I chose Vanille Abricot by Comptoir Sud Pacifique.

• kindcrow says:

Yummy choice!

• platinum14 says:

I love that one…. and it reminds me that I haven’t worn it in ages.

52. Bradamante says:

Quadrille by Balenciaga. Prunes en peach en dark sweet syrup. Womanhood indeed!

• Bradamante says:

en = and… have become lazy; Facebook allows to correct afterwards…

53. rebeccat94 says:

SOTD is the fruitiest scent I could find, DKNY Be Delicious

54. Delacey says:

I also don’t have much in the way of fruity scents, so chose the citrus route: Hermes Eau d’Orange Vert. Remembered later that I do have a sample of Dolce and Gabbana Dolce that I could have used (for the peach), but the one time I tried it I didn’t really like it, despite the fact that I looove the smell of peaches, juicy and ripe and picked fresh from the tree in my yard.

55. Suzy Q says:

Another Calyx wearer here–and for the first time ever! I stopped by the mall solely to spray this excessively on my bare arms. It sure made my car smell good. I’ve never smelled anything like it and while I do like it, I don’t know if I love it.

56. Jonette says:

Fruity x three today! Morning: The Different Company’s Bergamote. I love this and it’s so refreshing. Afternoon: Orange Sanguine. This is a skin scent on me and my perfume-eating skin eats it up fast. Nighttime: Lalique’s Amethyst. I’ve lost track of whether this is my second or third bottle and I will soon be getting another. I love this so much! For me, it’s a comfort scent that I often wear to bed. When I wear it in the daytime, I get compliments from other women. I sometimes feel I have a split personality when it comes to perfume (no pun intended). I favor diva fragrances, but am steadily adding gentle scents to my collection.

57. missionista says:

I don’t have a lot of fruity scents (other than some citrus) so went with Pacifica’s Mediterranean Fig. I’m really enjoying it.

58. Bear says:

Parfums DelRae Bois de Paradis, figs, blackberries and sandalwood with a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg. Loving the creamy figs right now!

59. rivercitylizzy says:

I too have a thing for fig scents, and several favorites–Sonoma Scent Studio Fig Tree and NVC Ashoka–are more of the “creamy green” variety fig. Today, however, I’m indulging in the sticky-sweet fig jam that is Au Pays de la Fleur d’Oranger Figue Fruitee. I’m usually not one for rolling in the sugar…but OH MY SUGAR is this one good ;)

60. idw1407 says:

Went to work this morning and sprayed, Dsquared Blue Cadet, love the lemon in the opening. This evening, Cedrat Enivrant, love this.
    One of my favorites from Atelier, along with Sous le toit de Paris,
    can’t seem to get on with the rest. While I enjoy the opening of Orange Sanguine, I don’t get anything after the initial orange burst.

• Laurels says:

I may have to try the Cedrat. Sous le Toit de Paris is the only AC I’ve tried that lasts more than an hour on me (and most less than half an hour).

61. bookwyrmsmith says:

I complicate the sync for myself by syncing in two synchronized Fridays simultaneously . So fruity for here and discontinued for the Basenotes synchronized Friday. SOTD = Dreams by Tabu . It is pretty close to Trish McCavoy’s Blackberry & Musk #9 or Paco Rabbane Ultraviolet.Dreams is much cheaper and something I’ve worn since my teens .

• Laurels says:

Bonus points for doubling the degree of difficulty. I’ll have to look up Dreams–I’ve never heard of it.

62. Laurels says:

SOTD is Histoires de Parfums 1804 (George Sand). I am wafting some lovely floral pineapple. Pity my nephew, uncle, and dog don’t really appreciate it.

• kindcrow says:

That one has always sounded promising to me. Are the cloves noticeable (I hope they are)?

63. hajusuuri says:

SOTD = Slumberhouse Pear + Olive

I love the bright peachy opening and the creamy coconutty dry down and it lasts and lasts!

I got a sample of Bonbon today and will be wearing it this weekend to see if I need a bottle ;-)

64. yukiej says:

SOTD is Cape Heartache which counts as fruity, right? :) I don’t really own anything outright fruit-centric, so it is fun to see what everyone else owns and enjoys!

65. Absolute Scentualist says:

Oh Pulp is wonderful! I wore a tiny bit last week and still love it just as much three years after I bought it.

Today I started off with Trish McEvoy Blackberry Vanilla Musk and then transitioned over to Enchanted Forest for bedtime. I love that stuff and just wish an fb wasn’t so spendy.

66. elvanui says:

Hello Fragrants,

I was wearing Hawaiian Ruby Guava for the first time ever:).
    Not what I was expecting, but it was nice enough.
    Love to read Your choices though, as I’m craving something fruity for summer. I’ve haven’t had one for years.
    I remember liking Pulp on my latest snifforama, maybe that could be the one:)?
    Have a nice weekend Everyone!

67. Rappleyea says:

Of all days to be out of the house and to not be able to get on here – I get a shout out. :-D

I did remember that it was Fruity Friday when I was getting ready to go out last night and wore Nahema with its beautiful peach note.

Happy Solstice all!

68. Sapphire says:

Totally late to the party, but I wore Silver Iris yesterday for its black currant note. I had to stay pretty subtle for work. Loved it all day.

69. GateGirl says:

Really, really late to said party.

SOTD: Armani Summer Code. Don’t know if it’s fruity (I’ll have to look up the notes), but it is certainly summer-y.