1. Jonette says:

Oh, to be that model! I bet she got paid to do that!

2. Kelly Red says:

Very funny, but I once helped a friend style a food commercial and it wasn’t pretty! I hate to say it but that model didn’t really eat a single bite of that cake. And next to her was a bucket for spitting out each mouthful afterwards. Since that commercial probably took SEVERAL cakes to get that one minute of film, she would have made herself sick very quickly. LOL, it was both enlightening and disillusioning to help my friend :(
    On another note: I’ve always loved that song!

I thought the same…no way did she eat even a slice of that cake. Waste of cake!

• 50_Roses says:

If you watch the commercial closely, you do not actually see her swallow any cake. You see her take a bite, then it cuts away, and so on, so you are not doubt correct.

I do assume, however, that the cake had to be actually edible, or at least non-toxic, since she did put it in her mouth. I mention this because in one of my college marketing classes, there was some discussion about what is typically done to food for photos shoots and commercials–the ones where you just see a picture of the food, but no one actually eating it–and in most cases the food is not even edible. For instance, in photos showing a bowl of cereal with milk, the “milk” is actually white glue, as real milk does not photograph well and would quickly make the cereal soggy. Similarly, shaving cream is often used in place of whipped cream, which would break down too quickly under the hot lights. For a shot of a “roast” chicken, the chicken is only cooked for about 20 or 30 minutes, then the skin is painted with soy sauce to make it brown. If the chicken were actually cooked for the full time, the skin might shrivel or pucker too much. It all made me feel a lot better about the things I cook not looking as good as the pictures in the magazines. At least my cooking is edible!

Yes, read a long article once about photographing food…was kind of sickening.

3. Kevin says:

Gross! To watch a PROFESSIONAL do this, see Irene Papas in “Erendira!” (And isn’t this sort of a knock-off of the sweets-obsessed Prada Candy woman…but done on the cheap?) Of course: why do I care? HA!

4. hajusuuri says:

The cake looks dry to me…no wonder she had the dry heaves at the end!