Orto Parisi ~ new niche line

Orto Parisi

Orto Parisi is the new Amsterdam-based niche line of Alessandro Gualtieri, who has announced he will no longer be adding to his Nasomatto brand.* Orto Parisi debuts with five fragrances: Bergamask, Boccanera, Brutus, Stercus and Viride.

MANIFESTO

The parts of the body that carry more smell are those where more soul is collected.

The strong smells have become unpleasant to us, because the excess of soul is intolerable to the extent that our innate animalism is repressed and breaking from civilisation.

This project is my garden I have planted, fertilized, cultivated, and harvested. Orto Parisi states that our body is experienced like a garden, and its smells are a true mirror of our soul.

The Nose, Alessandro Gualtieri.

Bergamask ~ the lifestyle of Lombardy and of the city of Bergamo, with bergamot and musk.

Boccanera ~ a gourmand with dark chocolate, ginger, black pepper and chili.

Brutus ~ 'Elegant and untamed', with bergamot, mandarin and patchouli.

Stercus ~ 'animalistic and exceptional'.

Viride ~ 'grasses, herbs and woods of the original tribes from Yemen.'

Orto Parisi Bergamask, Boccanera, Brutus, Stercus and Viride can be found now at Kurfürsten Parfümerie in Germany, in 50 ml Parfum, €138. So far, they are not available online.

(first quote via ortoparisi, additional information via shop.essenza-nobile.de)

*Although there may be one final fragrance to come for Nasomatto.

1. snowcrocus says:

This could have been entered in Le Prix Eau Faux! I have liked what I’ve smelled of the Nasomatto line, though…

• yukiej says:

I was just thinking that! :)

He does do a good job. The text is a bit much :-)

2. lucasai says:

No longer adding to Nasomatto?
    He just added Blamage to Nasomatto!

Well, it’s not officially released yet, but yes — as I said above (see the asterisk), probably one more and that’s it.

3. sergelutencio says:

Excuse-me, how to answer the question “what fragrance are you wearing?” when you are using Stercus?

4. Ericgmd says:

We became so accustomed recently to new fragrances named with a particular scent highlighted in the fragrance name (Orange Sanguine, Neroli Portofino, Lys Fume’ etc.) that I’m starting to dislike difficult and or abstract names.
    Call me difficult, but Stercus, Viride?
    Who has the time?

5. Jonette says:

I have not yet tried any of his fragrances. I saw a documentary about him last year, here in Holland, and found him so pretentious and obnoxious that it put me off investigating anything of his.

• Merlin says:

I don’t know anything about him, but I have to say that I do love several Serge Lutens’ scents despite my profound irritation at his pseudo-profound monologues. Sometimes one has to just ignore the artist, and appreciate the art, lol!

6. plume says:

People love to hate on this guy. Difficult perfume names? Pretentious ad copy? Seriously? This stuff is tame compared to the ridiculous names and copy of brands like Kilian. How dare he not use cliche French perfume names (ignore the fact he’s not even French and there’s nothing lamer than all these non-French companies using French names just to look the part). Closed mindedness is a growing problem in the world of niche, especially by the older generation who cannot seem to come to terms with any of the newer more modern houses. Not every house needs French names, nor should they all rebroadcast the same old tired adcopy. Some of us like experimental and boundary pushing perfumes.

• annemarie says:

I don’t think anyone was suggesting he should use French names. I agree that French names from a non-French company can be bit silly, but names that convey nothing in any language can be a bit silly too.

One of my favorite perfume names is Ysatis (by Givenchy). Apparently that word has no meaning in any language – it was selected because it sounds poetic – but givenchy could afford a huge print and TV ad campaign behind it when it was released.

7. Merlin says:

And besides which, I really like his Autumnal taste in colors!

8. Oakland Fresca says:

I agree–pretty colors and bottles… but gosh the copy is funny. I like the sound of Brutus. I wonder if his next fragrances will be Casca Servilius and Metellus Scipio–blood, sweat and tears with hesperis and balsam.

9. solanace says:

Stercus? Really?

10. sullapelle says:

I just happened to stumble upon his lab in Amsterdam. It’s designed like a store front so you can peek into the windows. I watched him work for a bit then moved on. Didn’t want to be a stalker.