Dawn Spencer Hurwitz Peony, White Lilac & Metropolis ~ new fragrances

Dawn Spencer Hurwitz Peony

Indie line Dawn Spencer Hurwitz has launched two new florals for spring, Peony and White Lilac, and a new fragrance for men, Metropolis.

Peony (shown) ~ "Peony is as classic a Spring scent as there is. Plus, I love fresh peonies when they blossom in my garden…their elegant presence speaks of utter beauty and femininity. This new Peony design is more than just the scent of the flower. I wanted to give the wearer a sense of experience. Peony starts at dawn with the dew still on the bud that hasn’t yet opened. The deep green leaves of the plant and a bit of grass are present. Then the peony opens and releases it’s delicate yet definite aroma and we experience the fullness of a fresh blossom. As the perfume dries down it is dusk, and the peony has turned a bit more rose-like as the sun sets and a shadow covers the blossom as night falls." In 1 dram, 10 or 30 ml Eau de Parfum.

White Lilac ~ "The essence of Spring…a lovely and soft, moist yet airy, fruit nuanced lilac with the classic honey-floral drydown." In 10 or 30 ml Eau de Parfum, 10 ml Essence Oil, body products.

Metropolis ~ "Modernism. Minimalism. Urban chic. An abstract masculine design with notes of brushed steel, glass, concrete and motor oil." In 1 dram, 10 or 30 ml Eau de Parfum.

(via dshperfumes)

1. mals86 says:

I have some White Lilac (from the Essense Collection, a couple of years ago) – wonder if it’s just back again. It’s really lovely, not a hint of air freshener.

• C.H. says:

Mals, do you have any thoughts on how it compares with En Passant?

• mals86 says:

Lessee… basing this comparison on my remembrance of a small sample of En Passant, which is gone.

White Lilac is “thicker” – more definitively floral. There is a greenish cast, but it is faint. It is sweeter than En Passant as well, and does not carry the wheat and cucumber notes. En Passant I remember being very ethereal, a very light veil of scent. White Lilac I only have in oil format, so there is a difference there too; it is more a skin scent and sticks around much longer.

There is a hint of rose, I think, in White Lilac, and I could wish for more leafy green notes – if it had more green, it would be very much like sticking one’s nose right into a lilac bush.

• C.H. says:

Ooh, intriguing! Thanks so much for this! Sounds like they might be different enough to justify having both ;)

Oh, could well be!

• Omega says:

Love lilac, want to sniff.

2. floragal says:

notes of brushed steel, glass, concrete and motor oil – really? ugh.

3. VanMorrisonFan says:

I remember there was a men’s fragrance called Metropolis in the 1980′s or early 90′s…it was an Estee Lauder fragrance. It had a loud screaming smell…not only did it enter a room a minute before the wearer, it cleared the room of anyone in an unsuitable socio-economic status. Not sure what happened to it.

4. mutzi says:

I was really hoping Metropolis was based on the Fritz Lang film.

• Flora says:

That would be too awesome!

5. Flora says:

I really, really need to try those florals, two of my favorite flower scents and of course DSH does them so well.