Perry Ellis Spirited ~ new fragrance

Perry Ellis Spirited

Perry Ellis has launched Spirited, a new fragrance for men:

Perry Ellis Spirited is a fresh and energetic scent that opens with juicy red apple, red ginger and mandarin oil. The heart evolves with tantalizing notes of clary sage, spicy red peppercorns and sandalwood. The base warms down to rich and woody notes of vintage tee sandalwood, red oak and tonka bean.

Perry Ellis Spirited can be found now at Dillards, in 50 and 100 ml Eau de Toilette.

(via dillards)

1. Lys says:

I was going to take a break from commenting today, but what a cute print ad!

Yes!! Favorite ad in ages, absolutely great.

• Marjorie Rose says:

Yup! Very fun! Won’t probably get me to take a sniff, but glad to see something other than rippling abs! (I know, shocking!)

2. Lys says:

One more thing, what the heck is vintage tee sandalwood? Or is it “vintage tee, sandalwood?” Somehow I doubt Perry Ellis would include a vintage tee accord.

Maybe they mean old-skewl sandalwood like sandalwood soap?

• I was going to comment the same thing. Googling “tee sandalwood” brought about no hits.

I’m hoping it is a vintage tee accord.

• Lys says:

XD I googled it too. And “tea sandalwood” in case.

And OMG now I think it’s teak sandalwood, which would be some weird kind of typo but I think that’s what I was thinking anyway with the sandalwood soap comment.

LOL — so sorry, I didn’t even notice that. The PE website just says sandalwood, and lists it in the heart and base notes.

• Lys says:

Maybe this is like lace benzoin tears where some web copy writer inadvertently starts a new meme with an evocative typo.

3. relleric says:

Lost me at apple…

Yeah, it doesn’t sound as compelling as the image.

4. Merlin says:

‘Red apple, red ginger and mandarin oil, clary sage, spicy red peppercorns and sandalwood.’
    I’m realising that I tend to prefer ‘simple’ scents. The less notes in the list, the more likely I am to enjoy it.
    Maybe thats why I find this list appealing!

I think I like simpler scents too. But the list so rarely reflects the actual number of ingredients — it’s all just PR speak.

• Merlin says:

I was thinking that recent-ish fragrances are very much simpler than the older classics. Halston Cologne, chanel no 5, Boucheron, for instance, have upwards of 18 notes listed on Fragrantica. Other scents – like my favourite Chergui, Infusion d’ Iris, Pampelune have 11 or less. I assumed my nose (and maybe the more modern nose) is less sophisticated? I would think the more notes, the more elaborate, ornate and deep, but I seem to prefer less notes!

I just would not assume even for a second that a scent w/ 11 notes listed only had 11 notes, that’s what I’m saying. It’s more of a change in how information is presented, IMHO, than in simpler formulas, and that is partially because so many naturals have been replaced with synthetic molecules that companies don’t always want to name, and partially because there are so many fragrances that companies don’t always create the elaborate training & PR materials they used to — and that is where many note lists come from. Modern formulas do tend to be cleaner, but that doesn’t mean they’re simpler or have fewer “ingredients”.

Chergui *might* have fewer notes than Halston, for instance, but it might well have more.

• Merlin says:

Okay, thanks for the explanation!

5. nancyg says:

Love the ad – kind of a William Tell thing going on.

6. Omega says:

He looks like a rooster.