Holiday fragrance gifts 2012, part 5

Our series of holiday gift posts continues with solid perfumes. Up next (probably on Thursday), more travel sizes & coffrets. If you missed them, check out part 1 (scented body products), part 2 (travel sizes & coffrets), part 3 (home fragrance) and part 4 (gifts for men).

Bottega Veneta solid perfume

From Bottega Veneta, the brand's signature fragrance in a solid compact. $165 at Nordstrom.

In Fiore solid perfumes

From In Fiore, two new additions to their range of solid fragrances: Saffron of Kashmir Attar ("Intoxicating from its flourish, a sparkle of Neroli frames the classically honeyed heart while Orange Flower Absolute and Sandalwood quietly dapple throughout the composition lending an ethereal depth.") and Oud White Rose ("Intricate in its complexity, the voluptuous freshness of Bulgarian White Rose softens an animalic richness of Oud Attar. Sensorial and mysterious in their pairing, creamy waves of Sandalwood provides a remarkable contrast while Indian and South African Roses endows a sensual finish.") $65 each at Beautyhabit.

Marc Jacobs Dot solid perfume necklace

From Marc Jacobs, a solid perfume necklace featuring the Dot fragrance. Due to launch in Marc Jacobs boutiques in mid-December; €40. (via leparisien.fr)

Harrods bear with Estee Lauder Beautiful solid perfume

From Estee Lauder, a Christmas bear compact with their Beautiful fragrance, made for Harrods in the UK.  £160.

Solid perfumes from Philosophy

From Philosophy, solid perfume compacts in the Falling in Love or Amazing Grace fragrances. $30 each at QVC.

Maoli Perfumes Alohatherapy perfume balms

Maoli Perfumes' "Alohatherapy" perfume balms, available at their Etsy store, in Leilani’s Lei Stand, Under the Orange Tree, Royal Pikake and Chocolate Kingdom fragrances. $28 each for 28 g, or in solid perfume tins, $18 for 14 g.

Roxana Illuminated Perfume Hedera helix solid

Roxana Illuminated Perfume's Hedera helix natural green chypre fragrance, in an antique-inspired compact (brass or silver finish). $90 each.

1. JolieFleurs says:

Oh, gosh, I love solids and I love Roxana’s work and those compacts look to be stunningly gorgeous.

Too bad Santa isn’t coming by my house this year. Hopefully they’ll still be offered next year!

She always has solids I think…don’t know if she always has the same compacts though.

2. Joe says:

Those Maolis are so cute! I already bought my niece a Harajuku “G of the Sea” mini, and a 20ml Bottega travel size for a friend. And mom is getting some nice decants and Costume National Scent Intense lotion. Fragrant gifts all around!

The Roxana compact is beautiful too.

Jealous of the G of the Sea — & surprised that line seems inactive.

3. Veronika says:

I actually could never find a solid that was true to the fragrance. Just like with soaps and body lotion – it’s an altogether different experience. And I’m just not a fan of the idea.

• Merlin says:

I do enjoy the lush solids (but I’v never tried their sprays). They come off easily and rich on the skin and the applicators work well – you don’t have to stick your finger in a pot – get stuff under your fingernails etc.

• Veronika says:

Oh yes! getting the product under your fingernails is the worst part of the experience! hand cream is bad enough!

• JolieFleurs says:

I don’t use the tip of my finger, I use the, gosh I don’t even know what it’s called, it’s where your index finger joins your palm? Mine is pretty bony, especially when I flex my hand out (as when you raise your hand). I can also use my larger knuckles.

I guess I have freakish hands?!

They’re nice for people who want/need to avoid the sillage of the sprays. In general I prefer twist-ups too, & surprised how few there are.

4. Omega says:

Oooh, I want the Bottega:). Pricey though!

But pretty. And looks like a leather box, although they don’t specify.

5. Dilana says:

I’d just like to generally compliment this Blog on all of its Gift suggestion columns. I thought that I would be able to find some recommendations on some guitar geek blog which would be like those here on this blog, i.e., written by some one who was not selling products but was a knowledgable enthusiast. I also through that if a I saw a possible gift, there would be some independent blog which commented upon it, equivalent to the perfume reviews here, so that I could tell if the product was akin to Bieber’s Someday, (not likely to appeal to real enthusiasts), Angel (Controversial but respected), or Ormonde Jayne (obscure but really liked by enthusiasts).
    No such luck. Never found blogs in the guitar world, which come close to those for fume heads, and never found any recommendations which came close to the common sense listing of quality gifts in a wide range of tastes budges or potential audiences.
    You guys are awesome.