Holiday fragrance gifts 2012, part 2

Our series of holiday gift posts continues; today we’ve got travel sizes, coffrets and rollerballs; up next: home fragrance. If you missed part 1 (scented body products), you can find it here.

L'Artisan holiday coffrets 2012

From L'Artisan Parfumeur, holiday coffrets for ladies (Mure et Musc, Premier Figuier and La Chasse aux Papillons Eaux de Toilette) and gentlemen (Timbuktu, Fou d’Absinthe and Mechant Loup Eaux de Toilette). Each is $98 for three 15 ml bottles at Luckyscent.

Nest Fragrances rollerballs

Roll-ons, once relatively rare outside of Sephora, are now relatively ubiquitous, even in the higher end department stores. Here, Nest Amazon Lily, Passiflora & Midnight Fleur, $30 each for 8.5 ml at Neiman Marcus.

A Dozen Roses rollerball quartet

Also at Neiman Marcus, a quartet from A Dozen Roses: Gold Rush, Iced White, Shakespeare in Love and Electron, all in 8.5 ml, $85 for the set.

Tocca Cleopatra travel sprays

From Tocca, the Profumo Veloce travel set in the Cleopatra fragrance: "Travel the world and never leave your favorite fragrance behind. The luxurious, refillable case is delicately decorated with metallic gold in Tocca’s iconic bird design." With three 7.5 ml spray refills, $48 at Space NK.

From Cartier, a Baiser Volé gift set with 6 and 100 ml bottles of Eau de Parfum plus 100 ml Body Lotion. £94 at Harrods in the UK.

Comptoir Sud Pacifique  discovery set

From Comptoir Sud Pacifique, a discovery set with 30 ml bottles of Coco Extreme, Vanille Abricot, Vanille Coco and Vanille Extreme. $85 at Zappos.

Estée Lauder Fragrance Treasures Collection

The Estée Lauder Fragrance Treasures Collection, with mini purse sprays of White Linen, Pleasures, Beautiful and Sensuous Nude. $35 at Nordstrom.

Stila rollerball trioMarc Jacobs rollerball trio

From Stila, a rollerball trio featuring Crème Bouquet, Mandarin Mist and Midnight Bloom (above left, $25, Nordstrom). From Marc Jacobs, a trio with Oh, Lola, Daisy and Daisy Eau So Fresh (above right, $35, Sephora).

1. mals86 says:

Those Nest bottles are so pretty.

They really are…wish they were refillable (empty) atomizers.

2. sweetgrass says:

I agree on the Nest bottles.. I especially like the passiflora one. Passionflower is one of my favorite flowers. Haven’t tried any of the Nest line though.

I’m intrigued by the L’AP sets. I kind of lean toward the men’s set because I love Timbuktu.. of the L’Artisans I’ve tried so far, I think it may be my favorite, but I haven’t really tried Mechant Loup or Fou d’Absinthe. It would be really cool if they had one where you could pick the ones you want and get those in 15ml. I’d be all over that. I’d get Timbuktu for sure.. not sure which others.. maybe Premier Figuier and Safran Troublant.

Totally agree…loved it when L’Artisan sold individual 15 ml bottles. This way though, at least some of them will be on eBay eventually.

• Emily says:

Sweetgrass, it appears that you and I inhabit the same fantasy world, at least where the L’Artisan coffret is concerned (see below).

• Abyss says:

I’d love the mix&match (or even individual) 15ml LAP bottles too as well as more choice of scents.

• Marjorie Rose says:

Just adding my voice to the choir. I’d love to be able to mix and match or get these in smaller sizes! (And so many other niche brands, too!)

• solanace says:

The passiflora in my garden is amazing, now that it is almost summer here. Its huge purple and white flowers are attracting loads of hummingbirds! – wish I could send you one.
      :-)

3. Emily says:

Has anybody tried the Nest fragrances? I want an excuse to blow $30 on one of those gorgeous roll-ons. The Dozen Roses packaging looks really blah by comparison, which is strange since their bottles are usually so striking.

Wish I were more into the scents that L’Artisan has packaged up so beautifully. In my fantasy world, those gift boxes would be available with any three of the line’s fragrances.

I have not, sorry!!

• olenska says:

I got to sample Passiflora and Amazon Lily at Sniffa Fall Ball– addictive strange florals with salty-milky-aquatic features, really wonderful (particularly Passiflora). The bottle designs are to die for!

Oh good, thanks!

• nozknoz says:

Good to know – those rollerballs are so pretty, too!

• Emily says:

Thanks, Olenska!

4. jirish says:

L’artisan was offering a coffret with 6 fragrances: M&M Extreme, Timbuktu, La Chasse, Nuit de Tubereuse, Premier Figuier, and Traversee du Bosphore in similar packaging. But I hesitated and it’s sold out at their web site. I’m hoping they do more of this in the future. It’d be nice to have a coffret of the Voyage series.

5. Anne from Makeupwoot says:

I foresee the Stila rollerballs making their way into a nieces stocking.

6. VanMorrisonFan says:

John Varvatos fragrances for men has a nice little sampler of half ounce of four fragrances for $50. I know it is available at Nordstrom…may be at other places as well.

7. Martha says:

Ooh. Until I saw the coffrets, I failed to realize how much pent-up l’Artisan greed I have, but the scents are just wrong. (Got ‘em or don’t like ‘em.) Add me to the list of those longing for a mix-and-match version.

8. Veronika says:

Oh… I’d love a Dzing! Timbuktu, Dzhongkha coffret! those are the three I’m most eager to try

9. Dilana says:

Does anyone have a comment on the juice in a roll on vs. a spray?

. I imagine that a roll on bottle costs less to produce than one with a spray mechanism. Logically, a roller boll should delivery a concentrated application of the scent in a small area, and perhaps a heavier does of the base notes, since top notes “aeorosize” more easily. However, I have no idea if this actually true.

So do roller balls deliver the same juice (in smaller cheaper containers) or a different concentration, and effect?

Yes…closer to dabbing than spraying. Also, rollerballs do pick up small amounts of skin residue. I don’t like them for that reason. I wouldn’t buy one unless I thought I would use the product up fairly quickly. On the other hand, they’re often the only way to get small quantities of a fragrance.