Serge Lutens Une Voix Noire ~ new perfume

Serge Lutens Une Voix Noire

Serge Lutens has launched Une Voix Noire, the latest addition to the niche brand's exclusive range. The fragrance was reportedly inspired by Billie Holiday, and you can read Lutens' writing on the subject at his Facebook page (scroll down for English version).

Une Voix Noire: The stars rise in chorus. The night sky is filled with the light of the moon.

The notes include gardenia, tobacco and rum.

Serge Lutens Une Voix Noire is available in 75 ml Eau de Parfum.

(quote via sergelutens, additional information via marieclaire.fr)

Update: see a review of Une Voix Noire.

1. ladymurasaki says:

I want to know what other notes it contains! I got a bottle as soon as it was available online and I’m in love with it.

• Lys says:

The boisdejasmin review was very detailed.

• ladymurasaki says:

I know, but what does it actually contain, note-wise? The press release mentions tobacco, rum and gardenia. I detect plum or raspberry, and for me, the metallic note is more prominent in the opening and not the end. Anyway, it is a beautiful scent.

There is another review on Grain de Musc, too, she says something like “almost-strawberry”. But you know SL doesn’t like to list notes :-)

• ladymurasaki says:

Garrrr! It has me hooked, it has.

• Lys says:

Yeah, I don’t think there are official notes yet. So nice you are enjoying your bottle – I’m jealous (in a good sort of way :) )!

2. Vincent says:

I liked it! More singers to come??? :)

3. FragrantWitch says:

Love Billie Holliday! Will have to sniff this as the listed notes are good.
    I vote for Nina Simone next!

• ladymurasaki says:

I’m a Lady Day fan myself, but Nina would also be interesting.

• 50_Roses says:

We have a cat who seems to be Billie Holiday fan as well. My husband was flipping through some of the music channels that we get with our cable TV, and watching her reactions. She definitely did not like rap or heavy metal (her ears went back), but she seemed to relax when he tuned in jazz channel that was playing a Billie Holiday song. She also seems to like quiet classical music, but not opera.

• ladymurasaki says:

Well, Billie has a soothing voice… like butter.

Trying to think of what flower Nina Simone would call to mind. Billie Holiday is so long associated w/ the gardenia, although to me it is not what her music calls to mind.

4. Warum says:

Grrr, exclusive again… gardenia, tobacco and rum seems lovely and fitting.

5. dora says:

Lady Day was one of the most extraordinary singers ever and she always wore a white flower in her hair. Nina Simone would be interesting. I am trying to imagine Patsy Kline.

• pyramus says:

KATE BUSH.

Lots of freesia. Serge has never done freesia. Weird it up with curried bananas and grapefruit marmalade, put sultanas and coriander in the middle, plenty of sandalwood and amber in the base, bang you’re done. I’d buy it.

6. Kate says:

Oh, what to do??? Rum, tobacco and gardenia sounds like I should love it (and from my Monday Mail earlier this year, if ladymurasaki likes it, it’s a good bet I will too). But SL fragrances can frighten me a little (how pathetic is that – I get scared by perfume!). I feel like I’m wading through treacle with some of them, and the way some of them twist and turn scares me!
    Those of you who’ve tried this – is this a typical SL in terms of its complexity, meanders and occasional forcefulness?

• ladymurasaki says:

It is, but it is not as loud or strange as you might think. I’ve read that Billie was actually a very shy person and this scent seems a fitting representation. It is a very wearable gardenia, much more so than, say, Jardenia.

• Kate says:

Thanks! Maybe I should feel the fear and do it anyway ;-)

7. Marjorie Rose says:

It sounds pretty good, although I’m unlikely to get a chance to sniff it. But what’s really got my goat, a bit, is that it’s YET ANOTHER NOIR(E)! I’m starting to seriously roll my eyes when I see something listed as noir/soir/nuit!

• Lys says:

But Marjorie Rose, the voice is noire not the perfume. >:D

8. thenoseknows says:

Sounds DIVINE!!!! Want a Bottle!