Etat Libre d’Orange The Afternoon of a Faun ~ new fragrance

Etat Libre d’Orange The Afternoon of a Faun

French niche line Etat Libre d’Orange will launch The Afternoon of a Faun, a new unisex fragrance, in October.

The faun awakes from his mid-day sleep, and contemplates his morning’s encounters with some nymphs. In his reflections, his pursuit of the alluring creatures takes on libidinous proportions as he seeks to satisfy his desire. It is a beautiful memory – but did it really happen? Reality fades, and confusion reigns until overcome by sleep – which can open the door to more dreaming. When Nijinsky danced the story, he created a scandal. The carnal subtext of Mallarme’s poem became an explicit expression of a sexual appetite. The ballet went beyond the sensual to a demonstration of a powerful virility. Shameless, the critics declared. In this scent, find the relationship between the suggestive fantasy and the seductive reality.

The Afternoon of a Faun was developed by perfumer Ralf Schwieger; notes include bergamot, pepper, cinnamon, incense, immortal flower, orris, myrrh, leather and benzoin.

Etat Libre d’Orange The Afternoon of a Faun will be available in 100 ml Eau de Parfum.

(via euroscentsusa)

1. Emily says:

This one and Dangerous Complicity are also available now as a set for $39 at Parfum1 (includes a 10 mL bottle of each). I was naughty and blind-bought it — I blame both the suggestive fantasy and the seductive reality of having new perfume to try.

(I’m not affiliated with Parfum1, and I apologize for the comment binge today — guess I’m overcompensating for my recent lack of perfume-blog time!)

Thank you — that really is very tempting.

(and never apologize for commenting! I apologize the Saturday post-binge…I’m catching up from vacation time)

• FragrantWitch says:

$39 is pretty much free! Off to order… Thanks!

• deepo says:

Thanks for the tip! Ordered!

• poodle says:

Emily is an enabler. I just ordered as well. Plus I got a bottle of Like This because I hadn’t treated myself to a birthday ‘fume yet. Mom and MIL both gave me some money and with a few clicks of the mouse it’s gone.

• Emily says:

Haha! Well, I suppose iniquity loves company. Congrats on Like This — it’s one of my favorites.

• farouche says:

Whoops, I couldn’t resist either…

• nozknoz says:

And they take PayPal – too easy to resist!

2. That sounds like a perfect October launch – those notes scream fall to me.

3. lucasai says:

Love the name! And the notes! Might be a must for me! Need to try asap!

4. Dilana says:

Oh, dear. I expect that my intent to comment would not pass censorship.
    Let me just say that the Najinsky ballet included gestures of a certain act which human male teenagers engage in and fauns do not. Given some other of this brand’s scents, it would be nice to clarify whether the scent is intended to refer to that act,
    On the other hand, I see that the scent includes an “Imortal flower”. If that’s imortelle, it will end up smeiling like Maple Syrup on me, Too bad because the other notes sound fascinating.

Early orderes, let us know.

5. dilettante perfumista says:

Emily, thank you for being such an enabler;-) I just purchased it too, mostly because I really wanted the L’Ap sample set and candle that came with any L’Ap purchase (which expires today) and I’ve been wanting a bottle of Dzing for fall. I’m so glad I dragged my feet on buying it because now I will have these two to try as well!

• Emily says:

Yay, enabling! I also thought these sounded nice for fall.

6. bluegardenia says:

what a beautiful name for a fragrance! i love the sound of this. and the notes sound great. i don’t own any ELd’O yet, though I have samples of a few. Maybe I need to order that $39 dollar set too!