Maison Francis Kurkdjian Amyris ~ new fragrance

Maison Francis Kurkdjian Amyris Femme perfume

French niche line Maison Francis Kurkdjian will launch Amyris, a new fragrance duo dedicated to his sister and named for Amyris, the tree that is the source of elemi balsam.

Amyris Femme (shown) ~ with notes of lemon leaves, amyris (elemi), iris, vetiver and modern oud wood.

Amyris Homme ~ with notes of rosemary, mandarin, amyris (elemi), iris, coconut, coffee, tonka bean and modern oud wood.

I will update with sizes and concentration when I can.

(via extrait.it)

Update: Amyris Femme is available in 71 ml Eau de Parfum; Amryis Homme in 71 ml Eau de Toilette. See a review of Amyris Femme.

1. lucasai says:

Amyris Homme sounds nice if it’s not too much into coconut and coffee. Any idea what is “modern oud”? made me laugh.

• Lys says:

Hi Lucasai. I think here “modern oud” means a less-heavy-handed take on oud, less dense, more transparent. The oud note has been washed so to speak.

Relative to the composition, could also be a “streamlined” oud, less ornament. By this definition, MFK’s first Oud would also qualify, focus is on oud with a little saffron and cedar.

• lucasai says:

Thanks for your time to explain, I feel more clever now ;) And it still sounds fine :)

• My guess is that “modern oud” might be a sexy way to refer to synthetic oud.

• lucasai says:

No way Katie Puckrik is answering my comment! Hi mrs Katie, I’ve been following your reviews for a long time.
        I like the “sexy take on synthetic oud” phrase, kind of made me giggle.

Oops, sorry, should have read before I repeated your answer.

Who knows, but I took it to mean what is used in modern fragrances -> synthetic oud.

• Lys says:

Yes synthetic or if “natural” then oud isolate – like the “patchouli orpur” used in TF white patchouli, consisiting of *inoffensive* naturally-occurring compounds.

On second reading it does look like the “noble” ingredients in this one are the amyris and iris (pallida?). Wonder what the price point is.

• bjorn says:

Modern oud = The aroma chemical called “I Can’t Believe It’s Not Oud” ;)

• mutzi says:

LOL! I love this. It reminds me of the Vicar of Dibley.

Turns out to be “modern wood” not “modern oud” — although I’ll give the same answer, I don’t know what that could mean other than a synthetic note.

2. Lys says:

These MFKs never work for me – my skin amps up the sweet and they sort of fall apart. If these are “modern” ( :) ) maybe they’ll work for me?

They’re all terrifically well done, but so far, not me either.

3. Emily says:

Would love to try Amyris Femme. I’m also not sure what exactly to expect from “modern oud,” but I do love me some iris + vetiver.

4. Pivoine says:

When is it coming out?

5. chayato says:

Hi It is not modern OUD but Modern WOODS. Nothing to do with OUD.
    All the best

6. modernguy says:

It sounds fabulous!

7. Petra says:

Some days ago I received two tiny decants of both Amyris scents.

This is possibly the most soapy thing I’ve ever smelled. I have the impression that Mr Kurkdjian has an affinity to clean smells, but these two top even Aqua Universalis Forte.

As I’ve always had some difficulties with the soapiness of some of his Maison creations, this Amyris is not for me at all. I am a bit disappointed.

I shall console myself with some Caron stuff.