Penhaligon’s Peoneve ~ new fragrance

Penhaligon's Peoneve

Penhaligon's will launch Peoneve, a new peony-based fragrance inspired by "a blooming English garden in the summer", in July.

Peoneve was developed by perfumer Olivier Cresp; notes include violet leaf, peony, Bulgarian rose, hedione, vetiver, musk and cashmere wood.

Penhaligon's Peoneve will be available in 50 and 100 ml Eau de Toilette.

(via fashionmonitor)

Update: see a review of Penhaligon's Peoneve.

1. sinnerman says:

Would someone be so kind to explain to me what a Peony would smell like ?

• mals86 says:

I love peonies. They may be my favorite garden flower ever. (My Sarah Bernhardts are budding up outside right now, and I’m so excited.)

I’m not sure what flowers you’re familiar with, but I’ll have a shot at describing the scent of peonies. It is rosy and fresh, but sweeter and lighter than most roses (and roses vary so much in their scents that I hesitate to even mention them), something between rose and freesia, but more heavenly.

Perfumery peony is entirely synthesized, I think, and although it’s nice, it doesn’t smell like real peonies to me – too bright, too relentlessly cheerful. Also it’s probably been overused.

• Bee says:

well, not all do, of course, but several have a sweetish-milky-greeny scent (I wait to be corrected), which is very pleasant indeed.

In perfume, it’s a pale watery sort of floral, very soft.

• tulp says:

The Peonies in our garden have a sweet, fresh smell of roses. Not a heavy, it is a light smell.

• sinnerman says:

Thank you for the wonderful discriptions! X

2. ladymurasaki says:

I love peonies. I am not sure if I have ever smelt the perfume peony. Peoneve sounds very nice. I have peonies in my garden, but they’ve stopped flowering since replanting. Such fussy flowers. A friend told me that I have to speak to them if they are to bloom again!

They don’t like being moved, it’s true, but they usually recover eventually. One of my favorite flowers, but not in perfume.

• Kelly Red says:

Robin is correct, they don’t like to be moved but should recover within 2 years. If you planted them longer ago than that and they still haven’t bloomed the most common problem is you planted them too deep. They need to be planted at exactly the same depth as before, the crowns right at the surface. (sort of like iris roots) I made this err myself so speak from experience. This fall, dig up, knock dirt off the top to expose the crown and replant at correct level. Peonies are very long lived and will come back and bloom for you for decades. I replanted peonies from my grandparents farm that were over 50 years old, they continue to look stunning.

• ladymurasaki says:

Thanks for the tips. I’ll do as you suggest as talking to them is probably going to make me feel potty! As I’ve said, fussy flowers.

3. thegoddessrena says:

My local Saks has just started carrying some Penhaligion fragrances but they don’t have the full line yet. Love real life peonies

I have no local access to Penhaligon’s, unfortunately.

4. Jessica says:

Hm… this could be up my alley!

5. bookwyrmsmith says:

I love peoney too! This sounds like a must test!

6. nozknoz says:

Beautiful packaging – hope it smells as good as it looks!