The Different Company Oud For Love ~ new fragrance

The Different Company Oud For Love

French niche line The Different Company has launched Oud For Love, the second in the "Collection Excessive" series that began with last year's Oud Shamash.

Sensual and bewitching, Oud For Love transcends the desire to sublimate the pleasure.

The woody oriental fragrance was developed by perfumer Bertrand Duchaufour; notes include whisky, saffron, cumin, coriander, aldehydes, angelica, tuberose, ylang ylang, iris, sandalwood, clove, musk, amber, immortelle, vetiver, oudh, castoreum, heliotrope, caramelized notes and tolu.

The Different Company Oud For Love is available in 50 ml Eau de Parfum, $228.

(via thedifferentcompany)

1. Jessica says:

I. Just. Can’t.

Thanks for creating that tag, by the way.

I did not even try Oud Shamash.

And I hate to say it because he’s one of my all time favorite perfumers, but soon I will have to start a “bertrand duchaufour needs a vacation” tag. Does the man work 20 hours a day?

• 50_Roses says:

Well, there are speed readers and speed walkers. Maybe he is a speed perfumer?

LOL — it is quite possible. Also quite possible that many perfumers are this prolific, but since they’re not as famous (or because they don’t concentrate on niche) they don’t get their names announced so often.

• Bela says:

Bertrand Duchaufour has turned into a kind of ‘perfumer for hire’. Like you, I’m getting tired of seeing his name everywhere.

• mals86 says:

Let us hope he has apprentices.

• victoriaf says:

Yes, I’m with Jessica! The thing is that I like oud notes in fragrances, but the moment I see yet another perfume named Oud, I don’t even want to try it.

• Bluest says:

Speaking of tags…that’s quite the price tag for 50ml of juice. ;) Have a great weekend!

• KateReed says:

I’m with you. I am so not in the oud for love anymore.

2. lucasai says:

It’s getting boring to hear about another oud perfume, yaawn

Exactly.

• ladymurasaki says:

Quite right. The market is saturated with it. I like the bottle though.

• lucasai says:

There was a bunch of oud releases lately, but you’re right, bottle is nice. I like the pyramidal cap

3. 734elizabeths says:

Whiskey, saffron, coriander, carmelized notes…sounds like a cocktail, or a marinade.

I think it sounds fab (I can sort of picture that in Duchaufour’s style) but I don’t need more oud!

4. Sharon C. says:

“transcends the desire to sublimate the pleasure” — What? How can we mere mortals compete with ad copy like this during Le Prix Eau Faux?

5. OVincze says:

The notes do sound really interesting to me but at this price probably not THAT curious.

Oddly, or not, it’s cheaper than the Oud Shamash.

• ceciliat says:

My eyesight is going… I thought I read “oudly, or not…”

• arj_melb says:

I just had a look at TDC website, and the Oud Shamash is actually cheaper than this (at $195 for 50 ml).

My mistake — thanks so much for the correction!

• Dilana says:

Didn’t Lalique just announce a (cheaper) oud and saffron?

The Hommage? I don’t know the price on that one, but it might well be cheaper.

6. monkeytoe says:

I wonder what will be the note we are sick of in two year? Hasn’t there been a couple of new leathers lately? May leather will be the next fruitchouli/iris/oud.

• Marjorie Rose says:

I vote for already tired of pink pepper and anything “clean” or “fresh.”

7. poodle says:

Ok. I read that too fast and I thought the last note said tofu. I sat and thought about that for a minute and wondered why anyone would put tofu in a perfume. Then I read it again and realized it was tolu which I hope smells better than tofu.

• djron91 says:

Tolu is resinous balsam. Really nice base note for a scent.

BTW – I had the same double take when I was sniffing notes at the Ormond Jayne boutique.

• poodle says:

Lol! Glad I’m not the only one who saw tofu at first glance.

8. Merlin says:

So I’m a really sloooooooooooooow learner because I think I may just be starting to get a feel for oud! I sniffed a Tom Ford one at some point but didn’t have a definite reaction to it. The first I really liked was Jo Malone’s Bergamot and Oud. I can imagine even spending that much for it – one day – when I have that much money! This one is out of my price range permanently, but it sounds good – far nicer than the Diff Comp. usual anemic formulas.
    Also I tried M7 recently and LOVED that. Its very masculine but I may HAVE to buy it anyway…

9. rickbr says:

I’d never imagine at my early fragrance lover days that i’d see such a oud flood (or shoud we say floud? lol).
    Really, no more oud please!
    OS1: Oud is almost pairing with pink pepper now, i suspect that they will start a relationship soon and we’ll see a pink oud or a oud pepper in the future lol
    OS2: Paris Hilton, i’m wating your Sexy Oud! (certainly not…)

10. Marjorie Rose says:

So TDC doesn’t do a sample set? I just checked their website and didn’t see one. I guess I don’t get it why a company wouldn’t offer one.

I don’t know, sorry.

• rickbr says:

Until last year they had available at their website a set contaning two 2ml miniatures of each fragrance. For some reason they stop offering this for sale, it’s not available at their page at this moment

11. ami says:

could you please let me know your favourite ouds?
    at the beginning of my quest I tried some montale ouds and the most wearable one was aoud damascus for me, but I moved on to other notes soon and never returned ever since : )

I still like the 2 Tom Fords — YSL M7 plus the Tom Ford Private Blend Oud Wood. If you browse through the oud tag, you’ll find more that I reviewed:

• ami says:

thank you Robin :) M7 was already on my to try list but I did not know there was oud in it
        thanks for the tag too, I will also try L’Artisan oud too, L’Artisan always shows a different angle of the notes

12. Stew says:

I’m interested in hearing everyone’s review of this one. I hope they post some.