The Monday Mail ~ help Jada find a new perfume

Post box

Today we're helping Jada. She'd like to find a versatile signature fragrance that can go from casual to dress up. She can pay up to $100. A bottle lasts her a long time because she can't always wear fragrance to work.

Here is what we know about Jada:

She's in her early 40s, and loves her roles as pharmacist, wife, and mom. She has 3 young kids and 5 pets.

She's an easygoing person and usually dresses casually.

Her hobbies are reading, cooking, and vegetable gardening, and she says her dream is an urban farm.

Jada isn't sure what notes she likes or dislikes, but she tends towards clean, citrusy scents and light musks. She recently bought Estee Lauder Bronze Goddess (she enjoys it but it fades too quickly) and Sarah Jessica Parker Lovely.

What say you?

Note: image is Post box [cropped] by eGuide Travel at flickr; some rights reserved.

1. sariah says:

Hi Jada – I recommend L’Occitane’s Verbena. Clean and citrusy but not without character, and long lasting for this type of fragrance

2. Abyss says:

The first thing that came to mind was Balenciaga Paris. It’s are green violet with plenty of clean musks, is within budget and can easily go from casual to dress up.

Some Diors might fit the bill. Diorella (woody citrus) could work, or the Escale series although they are not hugely long lasting.

Hermes is also worth checking out – Voyage, Jardins series or Eau d’Orange Verte.

• Dixie says:

2nd Hermes.

• Marjorie Rose says:

Paris is a good notion!

• Jada in GA says:

I just won a bid for a trial size (0.25ml) of Balenciaga Paris. I’ll start with that one (it sounds right for me), and go from there! Thanks so much for your help everyone!

3. Jada, try Gendarme or Jenifer Aniston, both transparent musks that suggest “day at the seaside” the way Bronze Goddess does.

4. I second the Balenciaga Paris. Great choice!

Since you like SJP’s Lovely which to me is a somewhat woody-floral scent, I think you would also like SSS Chamagne de Bois, Prada Infusion d’Irs and Prada L’Eau Ambrée.

You may find EL’s Knowing intriguing, it does pack a sillage whallop so apply carefully and EL’s Intution is a very comforting citrus, floral and woods scent with lots of staying power. It’s much lighter than the Knowing.

All are within your budget. Best of Luck!

• Addicted2Pretty says:

I third Balenciaga Paris and second Prada l’eau Ambree. Can’t go wrong with either one of those.

• Jada in GA says:

Since several of you are pointing me towards the Balenciaga Paris, I bid on a small bottle on Ebay and won. My first French perfume…I can’t wait to try it! Thanks everyone, for your thoughtful suggestions!

5. egabbert says:

A friend of mine who likes musk was recently looking for a day-to-night fragrance and ended up with Narciso Rodriguez for Her. It’s similar to Lovely, but might be enough of a change for you.

6. Jada in GA says:

Thanks to everyone so far! I will definitely check out all the scents you’ve suggested. The number of fragrances on the market today are mind boggling, so it helps to get some professional help to narrow the list! :)

7. Bee says:

I’m not so sure about these, but you should find them in good department stores, and could fit your budget: Kelly Calèche or voyage (Hermès), Escale à Pondichéry (Dior), eau parfumée au thé vert (Buvlgari), 1881 cerrutti pour femme. If you feel like pumping up the chypre vibe (but this could be a second step in your budding perfumista career), you might want to try a couple of these: folie de rose (rosine), 31 rue Cambon (mainly in Chanel boutiquesis now available in smaller bottles ), or maybe Mitsouko (Guerlain, this is a tricky one).

• Aparatchick says:

Bee beat me to it; I was going to suggest the Bvlgari au the vert and recommend giving the other Bvlgari teas a sniff, too.

8. dolcesarah says:

I second the MITSOUKO. I have four bottles I love it so much. It’s a step in a different direction but I find my self craving the smell. I spray on my neck before bedtime and I swear I sleep better. It’s one of those scents I can’t get out of my mind. You might like My Insolence by Guerlain also, it’s sweet and sugary a new change. Sounds like you should take a trip to a good department store like Neiman’s and have a ball. I love perfume shopping. There is one by Creed ACQUA FIORTENO that you may like about 20$ above your $100 but it’s got a zing and it’s ladylike.

• Jada in GA says:

I definitely need to hit Neiman’s or Nordstrom….the Belk near me just doesn’t have the brands. Question: Lucky Scent doesn’t have a lot of brands that are being suggested…what is their niche? Trying to figure them out! Thanks so much for your ideas!

9. faylene505 says:

For summer – which lasts even longer in most of GA than here in NC – I’d suggest Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Mandarine Basilic: very light and pleasant when the heat is oppressive. And inexpensive, too. For something a little more upscale, I’d suggest Yuzu Rouge (Parfums 06130).

10. maggiecat says:

Layering Lovely with the body lotion is a great way to help it last! Chanel’s Eau de Cologne is a lovely bright scent and great for office wear or for when people might be sensitive. It lasts well for an eau de cologne. And I second NR for her and also suggest NR For her Musc Intense, which has white flowers and musk. lovely stuff, and very long lasting.

11. sunsetsong says:

Some great suggestions. Try O De Lancome – the original and the new Orangerie. Also Chanel Cristalle EDT and Cristalle Eau Verte.

• Kady says:

Yes to all of this! I was going to suggest O de Lancome and Cristalle EDT myself – both are gorgeous citruses.

Covet by Sarah Jessica Parker also occurred to me – it’s discontinued, but still widely available (often at a discount, even.) It’s lemony and green with a clean woody musk drydown. It has a hint of chocolate, but it isn’t foody or sweet at all to my nose. The chocolate just gives it a bit of depth.

• Jada in GA says:

I bought a compact of Covet solid perfume and I really like it! Only paid $5, so it is a really good deal….Thanks for your ideas too! :)

12. dee says:

Jil Sander Sun: it layers beautifully with EL Bronze Goddess, and amps up the lasting power (and can be had for a steal on eBay).

Notes:
    Orange blossom, iris, ylang-ylang, heliotrope, carnation, vanilla, while tonka, cedar and benzoin.

• Marjorie Rose says:

Dee, your recommendation makes me think of Prada Infusion D’Iris– Iris can be sophisticated but still light.

• dee says:

Infusion d’Iris is a great choice! Easy to wear, and elegant :)

• Jada in GA says:

Thanks Dee! You guys are so beyond my expertise! I’m truly a perfume novice, but I’m fascinated by the art and science of it. I wouldn’t begin to know how to layer scents! I will look for your suggestions…

• dee says:

LOL, it’s easy—you just spray yourself liberally with Sun, then spray Bronze Goddess on top! :)

I do neck (front and nape) and wrists with both scents, and they mingle together to create a beautiful sillage.

13. Martitia says:

Another vote for Balenciaga Paris and NR for Her. And Eau de Givenchy may also do the trick, especially if she can get her hands on a vintage version. Still light, but more vivid.

14. poodle says:

It’s not citrusy but I say try Cartier Baiser Vole. I find it to be a very clean smelling fragrance and my sample is growing on me.

The only citrusy thing I own at the moment is John Varvatos Artisan which I also love but my hubby loves more because he keeps stealing my bottle from me. That’ll teach me for telling him it’s a men’s fragrance.

15. Racine says:

My suggestion is A scent by Issey miyake: green, citrics and white flowers. Very long lasting and it´s only a eau de toilette. The eau de parfum is less citric and more floral with rose

16. Addicted2Pretty says:

Just remembered Jo Malone Vanilla & Anise is a good clean light musk day to night scent. I get a ton of compliments when I wear it and it lasts a long time on my skin.

• Haunani says:

That’s a nice one! Sorry I’m so late, but I second this Jo Malone.