Bvlgari Aqva Pour Homme Toniq & Aqva Pour Homme Marine Toniq ~ new fragrances

Bvlgari has launched two new limited edition flankers for men, Aqva Pour Homme Toniq and Aqva Pour Homme Marine Toniq.

Aqva Pour Homme Toniq ~ "In this fragrance, the invigorating sensation of a classic tonic is set against a fresh, intensely aquatic accord that calls to mind the scent of deep, icy waters." With lemon, peppermint, posidonia, frozen water, vetiver and mineral amber.

Aqva Pour Homme Marine Toniq ~ "In this powerful and energizing fragrance, surprisingly intense icy-aquatic notes are set against warm, woody undertones of white cedar and sandalwood." With green prickly pear, grapefruit, posidonia, frozen water, sandalwood and cedar.

Bvlgari Aqva Pour Homme Toniq and Aqva Pour Homme Marine Toniq were both developed by perfumer Jacques Cavallier, and are available in 50 and 100 ml Eau de Toilette. They can be found now at Sephora. (quotes via sephora, additional information via beautyandmore.tv)

1. peter says:

What’s next, Bulgari Aqva Pour Homme Toniq Sport Black????

Shakes head in disappointment….

• Have you noticed that almost all new designer releases don’t have a name? It is either “Homme” or “pour Homme” or “Man” as if they are afraid of putting something descriptive of the fragrance on the bottle that could possibly put off a “fraction of the market”. So pathetic…

Probably!

2. Ikat says:

Truly

It almost seems like a cruel joke on the SA’s who have to pretend to understand the difference between these word salad flankers.

And remember the names. We all joke about it, but I think the similar name problem is becoming serious; consumers literally can’t keep track of what scents they liked.

• LaMaroc says:

My mother has me do all her fragrance and beauty product shopping now for this exact reason. She knows I’m better at keeping them straight and she gets so frustrated when she buys the wrong product.

• Merlin says:

At some point I didn’t even know there was such a thing as a ‘flanker’. I bought Cartier Delices on a sale, and when I asked the s.a why it was a lighter colour than the tester she said they would smell the same anyway, both being ‘delices’. Neither of us even noticed the sub-header ‘fruitee’. I don’t even think she knew what a flanker was.

In all truth it’s an industry term, not a consumer term. I wouldn’t expect an SA to know or use it. I use it because it’s convenient, and there is no other good word for it.

• Marjorie Rose says:

Ahhh. . .clarity after the fact! I used this term while out sniffing once, and I got a confused look! I figured I’d said something wrong! (Turns out I’m more knowledgeable than I thought. :) )

3. platinum14 says:

“intensely aquatic accord”… “intense icy-aquatic notes “…
    YAWN!

It does not sound exciting, does it?

• moore says:

It sounds like cold water on winter! ;)

4. VanMorrisonFan says:

How do they expect anyone to remember these names when in a dept. store? “Yes, I’d like that stuff that smells like that other stuff, only not so much.”

• platinum14 says:

… and that comes in the same bottle, only a shade lighter or darker”

• boojum says:

… and here is where I confess that I bought a mini of Aqva Marine solely because I love those little bottles. :D

• 50_Roses says:

Hey, buying a mini for the bottle doesn’t count as an actual perfume purchase. I have done that myself; I figured it is no more expensive than any other small knickknack, so it just counts as part of the decor.

• LaMaroc says:

Ohhh, there are minis of these? Can I ask where you found them? I agree with 50_Roses, mini frag purchases do not count. On my computer, they have their own spreadsheet, although I could see lumping them in with the samples (but I won’t!). :D

• boojum says:

It was forever ago (in perfume terms, so like 2 years?), so I can’t really remember. If I were to hazard a guess, though, I’d say Beauty Encounter (not affiliated).

• Joe says:

LaMaroc: I’d start on e*bay… easy to find thousands of minis on there.

People can’t remember. And then, on the women’s side, they put out an EdP with a slightly different looking bottle that smells utterly different from the original EdT. Consumers are confused.

• LaMaroc says:

This happened all time at the Chanel counter at the dept store I worked at. People would bring back their edt of Coco Mlle, thinking it had gone bad, when they had actually had previously bought the edp. They smell significantly different, especially on skin.

• 50_Roses says:

The most aggravating aspect of this is when the EdT and/or EdP smell significantly different from the extrait, as there are NEVER testers available for extrait. How can they expect someone to shell out the kind of money one typically has to pay for extrait without knowing what if smells like first?

• pyramus says:

It could actually be worse. The original Must de Cartier (1981) came in two versions, parfum and EDT, and they were, quite literally, two completely different and unrelated scents, the parfum a dark ambery-chocolatey oriental and the EDT a light fresh floral; you were meant to wear them layered. Imagine your shock if you’d had the EDT and decided to splurge unknowing on the extrait!

As for the various concentrations being different, it is frustrating when you can’t sample them all: Chanel No. 5 is perhaps most famous for being significantly different in every concentration, and liking the EDP doesn’t mean you’ll like the EDT. And reformulation doesn’t help, either. I was in the Guerlain boutique in Toronto late last year and was determined to buy what to my mind would be an upgraded version of Mitsouko, either the EDP or the parfum, since everyone says how superior they are to the EDT: what an unpleasant surprise when I discovered that after being reconstructed, and presumably with far less oakmoss, neither was remotely as good as the (maybe 10-year-old) EDT that I have. At least they have testers for every concentration, I’ll give them that much: if I’d actually bought one of them without trying it, which I am capable of doing, I’d have been furious rather than disappointed.

• 50_Roses says:

What happened to me is that I bought I bottle of (reformulated) Mitsouko EdP, not realizing that the tester in the department store must have been a different vintage (pre-reformulation) from the bottle that I bought. When I sprayed some on at home, it smelled quite different from what I had tried in the store.

5. moore says:

I like Bvlgari Aqva although it’s so generic and nothing really innovative. I preffer it to Allure Homme Sport.

6. 50_Roses says:

…”frozen water”, as known as “ice”, which is well known for having no discernible smell at all.

• LaMaroc says:

I’ve said this before but the ice from my freezer definitely has a smell and it is *not* good. So I always laugh when I see a frozen water or icy note.

• boojum says:

Ha! Ditto.

• Marjorie Rose says:

Sort of like the taste of ice cubes from one of those fancy refrigerators that have a dispensor in the door? Bleh!

7. VanMorrisonFan says:

On their web site Sephora is only offering one of the two fragrances, and only in a 100 ml size. Games like that are why I stick with the tried and true – Armani Eau Pour Homme (the original). Not shure exactly who designed the fragrance, but that person hit it out of the park first time at bat.

8. Joe says:

I don’t know if it’s just me, but I found it REALLY hard to read that headline.

• LaMaroc says:

Me too, Joe. Doesn’t help that I’m mildly dyslexic!

9. Celestia says:

Okay, so if someone said you can have a free bottle of anything in the whole perfume dept., I’d pick Aqua. The Marine is good too so I look forward to trying these new ones.
    As for the seemingly infinite flankers, what about discerning the four Chances for a customer or the four Givenchy Irresistibles (soon to be five!), not even counting the summer L.E.? Do you know how hard it is to flog a fragrance with a long (and French) name? “Would you like to try this new fragrance?” Yes, what’s it called?” “L’Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme D’Un Ete.” What?” Is the customer really going to remember unless they DO speak French? We’ve already discussed the endless Lauder flankers for White Linen in a previous column.

10. eminere says:

I suspect the only thing I’ll like about these new flankers is the ad visuals.

Still worth a sniff though.

11. DRJMA says:

Bottles and fragrances-both non-exciting and seems that “I have seen it somewhere before” :(

12. I’m very confused, but all these flankers seem to be the same freaking scent. One day I’d love to get them all togeather and see if you can notice any real difference between them.

[ed note: link removed, please see comment policy]

13. cologniano says:

Oh, I thought I clicked on the same page twice.