Calvin Klein Beauty ~ new perfume

Calvin Klein Beauty

Calvin Klein will launch Beauty, a new sophisticated floral fragrance for women, in October. Beauty is fronted by actress Diane Kruger and is tied to the Calvin Klein Collection fashion line. It is geared towards an older, 40+ customer, and is reportedly "elegant, sophisticated, timeless and beautiful".

Calvin Klein Beauty was inspired by the Calla lily and was developed by perfumer Sophie Labbé. The notes include ambrette seed, jasmine and cedar.

Calvin Klein Beauty will be available in 30, 50 and 100 ml Eau de Parfum ($50-85).  (via wwd)

Update: see a review of Calvin Klein Beauty.

1. antonpan says:

The bottle reminds me of Idole d’Armani

Very much! Just a little more elongated.

• parfumliefhebber says:

That was my first thought too.

• thenoseknows says:

thinking the SAME THING!

2. parfumliefhebber says:

Finally we got stuff for the older audience, like me ;-)

We’ll see if it lives up to it…

• miss kitty v. says:

I love that “older” means over 40. I had no idea I was so close to being geriatric.

3. Chanterais says:

You know, there’s a lot to like here. It sounds like Calvin Klein are spending a little bit more on ingredients for this than is usual, and they’re not aiming for the teenage demographic, so they’ve been able to do something a little bit grown-up and interesting. I mean, it doesn’t sound like it’s going to be anything fascinatingly original, but there’s a lot to be said for well-made, thoughtful scents that don’t make my nose bleed.

I have a soft spot for lily scents, and especially in combination with a lovely cool cedary note, so I hope it works here–I’m not fond of many of Labbe’s other perfumes, but maybe this will help change my mind about her work. And the ad campaign definitely gets points for keeping Kruger in her clothes, and looking directly at the camera, instead of the usual half-naked model writhing around in floral spasms.

This is meant to be a more upscale offering, but it’s only marginally more expensive than the norm for CK, so hard to say if they’re spending any more on the ingredients or not. Still, I like lily too and yes, nice to see a CK ad that doesn’t make me roll my eyes :-)

• Aimee LOndee says:

hee hee–floral spasms! love that!

• mals86 says:

“…writhing in floral spasms” – I LOVE it.

4. Na says:

Calla Lily is my favorite flower! I can’t wait to see how the perfumer expressed it.

5. Daisy says:

Can’t say I’m at all familiar with Labbe’s work…is she behind Guerlain cologne de 68? (I briefly clicked her name and saw 68 but the review was also of another fragrance and I didn’t read it) Anyhow…I love CK Eternity and wore it for many years (receive more compliments on that than any other perfume ever…. it’s boring to wear the same thing day-in, day-out….but that boredom led me here so it’s all good.)
    I will give this one a try….even if I have to go to a department store to do so… it’s nice to see a mainstream perfume house at least attempt to appeal to someone over 25.

Yes, she did 68.

• Daisy says:

well, then I do like something she’s done….have a bottle of 68 and it’s very nice if not super-exciting (no floral spasms) but very wearable….one of those indecisive, just grab and spray day kind of things. It’s good to have a few of those handy I think. :-)

• boojum says:

Most definitely! Eternity was my post-Safari sig scent, followed by Escape…then back to RL for Romance…then nothing for several years thanks to a post-kiddo hypersensitive nose. By then, the fragrance trend was Kool-Aid…and here I am too.

6. OperaFan says:

Is Diane Kruger over 40?
    I am looking forward to this Sophie Labbe creation since I just acquired the Guerlain Cologne du 68. (Yup, a Guerlain is ALWAYS an acquisition, regardless the price!) The notes sound lovely, but the bottle reminds me also of an Estee Lauder fragrance…

LOL…no, she’s not.

• Daisy says:

That’s right—she’s only what?, 34? Good going CK —way to tick me off! More lip service I guess. A little insulting if you think too long about it.

• Robin R. says:

I hate when that happens. ;-)

• NaturalSelektion says:

Agreed..I was thinking the same thing. How is she supposed to be a representative of the type of woman that she has not become yet? There are plenty of women 40 or over that could have been the beautiful face of beauty.

7. That looks disturbingly NOT like Diane Kruger. I didn’t even recognize her and I love Diane Kruger. Weird.

• mals86 says:

Well, she sure looks airbrushed in this photo, doesn’t she?

• Indeed. I really don’t understand the need to airbrush models & actresses to the point that they no longer look like themselves. I like Diane because she’s unique looking.

• AnnS says:

She is really gorgeous and has a great sense of style. I loved her speaking German in Inglourious Basterds. She was fantastic.

• mals86 says:

Yes, terrific actress. And lovely.

I don’t know why they felt they had to give her that smooth-as-plastic Barbie face shine.

8. mals86 says:

Geared toward the older customer? ABOUT DANG TIME, I say, since everything else new seems aimed at younger women and I feel so left out… (Pouts. Ruefully rubs forehead wrinkle. Recollects disappointment with “young, romantic” florals.) Hope it’s decent.

Had to go check out Labbe’, and the only one of hers I’ve actually smelled was Parisienne. Which I thought was exciting for fifteen minutes, and then it resolved down into Quietly Pleasant.

9. AnnS says:

I will look forward to smelling any attempt a standard house makes a more sophisticated fragrance.

10. mjr17 says:

Funny, at first I actually thought the spokesmodel was Emily Blunt (from the Devil Wears Prada) and she’s firmly in her 20s…so perhaps Diane Kruger, at 34, represents a happy medium between actually showing an “older face” (ABJECT as that is in our culture!), and using a model in the preferred age group (24 and under).

Well I’m under 40, but still thrilled to see that CK is doing a fragrance for the over forty set (I’ll be there soon enough anyway!). Being the trendsetter that CK has been over the years (Brooke Shields and her Calvins, Kate Moss, risqué Male underwear models billboarded in Times Square, CK One, etc.), any chance this will have an impact on the direction of perfume houses? Oh gosh, I hope it smells good and sells like hotcakes. :)

• AnnS says:

It would have been a great idea to us Brooke Shields as the spokesmodel for this new fragrance. She is the right age. She still looks amazing and it would be neat – nothing gets between her and her Beauty, lol.

• thenoseknows says:

YES! the Perfect Model would have been Brooke, with all her CK History it would have made Genius Sense!

11. jonr951 says:

I love Obsession & Euphoria from CK. And I hate to admit but in2u as well. The only mens CK I really LOVE is Obsession!! LOVE it!! I cant wait for Beauty. I love me some lily!! I luv my DK Gold. The bottles cool too. : )

12. Tamara says:

All I can think about is how Diane K. said in Lucky mag. that all she’s ever worn was Burberry Brit.
    “People stop me on the street to ask what I’m wearing.”
    I agree about Brooke Shields too..but I guess she’s too busy dancing up a storm in Latisse commercials aha.

13. Absolute Scentualist says:

Wow. It’s a CK and it isn’t a flanker. Happy day! It sounds interesting to me, even if I am not the target demographic and I’m looking forward to trying it.

14. thenoseknows says:

I like the name… Like the sound of the fragrance and Diane Looks Particularly Fetching in the ad and doesn’t look Photoshopped to within one micromillimeter of her life! The Bottle does look acually a lot more beautiful than the Idole Bottle (somehow, that bottle comes off exceptionally Cheap looking) and i don’t know why i see the Estee Lauder Sensuous Bottle as well when i look at this… anywhoo… am sure this is going to be something quite lovely. Hope it’s a Modern, Cool Floral, Kinda like a White Linen Breeze with more sophistication!

15. eminere says:

Excuse me, how is that bottle not an almost identical replica of Idole?

Coty vs L’Oreal – now *that* would be a showdown.

16. 50_Roses says:

I am glad too, being among the 40+ set, to see a fragrance not aimed at teens or twenty-somethings. Has CK finally figured out that it is the over 40′s who have the most money to spend anyway? Not that the price range quoted is exactly high, especially compared to many niche fragrances, but it might be a little steep for a 16-year-old. I know when I was that age, I bought my perfume at the drugstore, because the stuff in the department stores was out of my reach.

I also like that they describe it as elegant and sophisticated. I about gave up on mainstream fragrances after the flood of overly sweet, fruity florals in the late 90′s. I mostly stuck with classics after that, particularly Guerlain. The only newI fragrance from the 90′s I really fell for was Feminite de Bois, and of course, when I went back for a second bottle, it had already been discontinued. I don’t mind a rather strong fragrance, such as Vol de Nuit, but could not stand the sugary sweetness that was saturating the market. The notes listed certainly do sound classic and sophisticated. I will have to give it a try this fall.

• Lety says:

I guess I am the only one disappointed in this fragrance although when I smelled it using the display bottle at the store it was a knockout. I purchased it and when I opened my 100 ml bottle I was very disappointed. It smelled no better to me than toilette water. No lasting nice fragrance. I thought it was just me but even my husband did not comment on the fragrance at all and could not even notice since I wore it for the first time on our 15th wedding anniversary. The fragrance is not what I smelled on the display bottle or something is wrong. I am very disappointed. :(

17. ocarina says:

Didn’t CK launch a perfume a few years ago called “Truth”? Now comes “Beauty”?

I think someone at CK marketing is a Keats fan LOL.

18. jonr951 says:

I got to try Beauty today at Macys and I really like it. It’s a very nice floral. I hope you like it too Robin! I can’t wait for a review. The bottle is really cool too! : )

19. APassionateJourney says:

I tried Beauty at the beginning of this month. TUUUUUBBBBBEEEEERRRROOOOOSSSSEEEE! The thing about this is, while the tuberose is the dominant smell, I can kinda smell other things. I’ll test it on my skin.

That being said, this bottle looks NOTHING like the armani Idole

20. APassionateJourney says:

Ok, I bought it last night. It doesn’t smell much like Tuberose anymore. It smells sophisticated and very floral. An opulent white floral. Mmmmm! Looks like I have grown up :/ (Against my wishes, mind you)

21. titi says:

I like it, but its a mix of Michael Kors and Marc Jacobs though….