4711 Acqua Colonia Blood Orange & Basil, Rhubarb & Clary Sage ~ new fragrances

4711 Acqua Colonia Blood Orange & Basil

Mäurer & Wirtz has launched two more unisex colognes under the 4711 Acqua Colonia range. Blood Orange & Basil and Rhubarb & Clary Sage join Lemon & Ginger, Vetyver & Bergamot, Royal Riesling, Lavender & Thyme and Melissa & Verbena.

Blood Orange & Basil (shown) ~ "This stimulating fragrance brings holiday dreams to life and provides a welcome diversion from the daily grind. When the sky is full of grey clouds, this energy-laden aroma, combining sun-ripened and exotic blood orange with the tangy, distinctive scent of basil, is sure to lift the spirits."

Rhubarb & Clary Sage ~ "This energizing fragrance is reminiscent of homely fruit and vegetable gardens from childhood days. With its slightly exotic appearance, and practically forgotten about in this country, rhubarb has a tart and sparkling scent that blends harmoniously with the soothing and intensive aroma of healing sage."

The 4711 Acqua Colonia collection fragrances are available in 170 ml Eau de Cologne. (via acqua-colonia, found via cosmoty.de)

Update: for summer 2010, 4711 will release the Aqua Colonia collection in 30 ml as well. (via moodiereport)

1. Evil Emma says:

Just read Breakfast at Tiffany’s and Holly Golightly wore 4711…

Did not know that, thanks!

• SmokeyToes says:

Thanks EE-I didn’t know that!
      These both sound like fun scents…..

2. Erin says:

I like the sounds of Rhubarb and Clary Sage (two favorite notes). Have never tried the Acqua Colonia range, though – any word on how good they are?

3. dollydagger says:

Ooooh! They both sound marvelous.

I’ve already got my Mandarine Basilic (Guerlain) but would love to smell the other…

• Joe says:

Did you end up finding an inexpensive bottle?

Yes, after a long wait!

4. rbrown says:

I’m going to admit to rubbing a bit of basil from my garden on my wrists last summer – it is one of my favorite scents! Don’t know how I missed the Vetyver & Bergamot and the Lemon & Ginger before! I have some new HG’s for this summer now.

• mals86 says:

Oh, I used to do that, back when I *had* basil! (Note to self, go by the greenhouse soon…) Basil’s so warm. The orange-basil is the one that appealed to me too.

5. Joe says:

I’d forgotten about last year’s Acqua Colonia launches, a couple of which sounded good to me. Are they easily available online? I need to check.

Rhubarb is a favorite note of mine, and I’ll have to think about how it would combine with Clary sage. Such a large bottle is only ideal for splitting, I’m afraid.

If they are, I don’t know where…hard to believe these aren’t in the US somewhere though.

• lupo says:

The are widely available in UK, on the contrary, even in the infamous Boots department stores. I actually like the uncomplicated 4711 line: the original cologne is nice and refreshing, although it’s gone in a blink of an eye… I haven’t see this new line on the shelves though. There’s an Eau the Cologne comeback, or maybe I’m just too new to the trend? However, very welcome: sometimes, you just need to take it easy and wear eau de cologne ;o)

6. RusticDove says:

Oh, these sound just perfect for the weather that will be here soon. I didn’t even know that 4711 did scents other than the original. Duh.

• boojum says:

Well, but they didn’t until last year, I think? And I still haven’t stumbled across them. The lemon ginger was on my to try list, and now I’ll add the rhubarb. Hope they show up somewhere!

7. Lisa3011 says:

I was wondering how to find them too….the lavender one sounds like something I’d like!!!!

8. annemarie says:

Interesting remark about the rhubarb being nearly forgotten. My parents used to grow it, stew it and serve it as a dessert. Maybe it was acceptable for an adult palate but as a child I thought it ghastly. Lashings of cream would not alleviate that dreadful sourness. I don’t know anyone who grows it now and I never see it in the shops. Oddly enough, we had a pet parrot who loved rhubarb. He would hold a stem in his claw and eat the white heels off the end. There must have been something in that part of the plant that he needed.

I’m a devoted perfume browser and I have never seen these exotic 4711s where I live. I’d love to try them. And I’d take them over those Guerlain colognes any day.

9. kaos.geo says:

Hello, I just tried these 2 in Buenos Aires.
    The 170ml bottle goes for about 45 u$s.

The orange one is Ok but it does not necessarily remind me of the notes (orange, yes, basil, yes, but both vaguely and very cologne-y)

The Rhubarb & Clary Sage on the other hand, turns out to be my favourite of the bunch. I can totally picture myself wearing this on the southern hemisphere’s summer :-)
    I have only tried rhubarb briefly while travelling, and also in candied form, this smells more like the candied than the “fresh” one to me.