Beatrice Piquet dies

Beatrice PiquetPerfumer Beatrice Piquet passed away earlier this month after a long illness. She was 46 years old, and started working at International Flavors & Fragrances at the age of 17. In 2008, she was promoted to Senior Perfumer at IFF.

Among her many creations: Banana Republic Jade for women, Burberry The Beat, Bvlgari Rose Essentielle, David Beckham Instinct, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme, Salvatore Ferragamo Incanto Charms, Salvatore Ferragamo Incanto Heaven. (via osmoz, 1000fragrances, additional information via gcimagazine)

1. pyramus says:

L’Instant du Guerlain Pour Homme is GENIUS. I haven’t tried many of her others, and the ones I have tried–not to speak ill of the dead–are forgettable, just mainstream stuff. But all she needs is one great composition to secure her name, and L’Instant is it.

Also, she could be Jane Lynch’s sister.

The L’Instant is a great scent, better than the women’s I think.

2. RusticDove says:

Oh, so young! How very sad.

VERY young, really.

3. Absolute Scentualist says:

What a shame. Rest in peace, Beatrice.

4. ScentScelf says:

I’d add to Pyramus’ thoughts that Bulgari Rose Essentiale is underappreciated. It is just what it is…so nicely done…that you can pass it up for flashier, more complex, more challenging, even dare I say “meaner”? But there it is, reliable, quietly glowing, ready for you to see its beauty when you turn your attention to it.

I’m sorry I had to be introduced to her name in this fashion.

And I’ll add Burberry The Beat Elixir, which I thought was a great scent.

5. SmokeyToes says:

Gosh, so young, what a shame. Rest in peace…..

It’s always shocking when someone dies so young.

6. kaos.geo says:

Jil Sander Sport Woman is, IMHO, a fragrance that for me will be a reminder of this past decade…
    I don’t LOVE it, but I have smelled it (or fragrances that copied it) many times in what I consider “posh” settings….

Airports, exclusive shops. Stepford wives (yes I know a couple of those), country clubs, etc.

The only other of her perfumes that I liked very much is Trussardi Uomo… If it is the 1995-ish version. It represented what my Idea of what a “Classy Italian” smelled like :-)

• kaos.geo says:

And regarding how young she was… yes it is truly shocking.
      I believe that as we get older, we are shocked more by death… Not by the fear that we might be next as we age, but because by having lived longer, we appreciate life as the marvel it can be..

I call myself a realist…but I guess I just outed myself as an optimist right here, hehehehehe

Oh, I think that’s absolutely true. Also shocking because hey, when I was 15, to live to my late 40s seemed FOREVER. Now I know it’s the wink of an eye. She was too young.

7. HDS1963 says:

I’ve always been a fan of Rose Essentielle, one of my favourite women’s rose fragrances, beautifully rendered.

L’Instant is fantastic too, a modern Guerlain classic.

But Jeez, 46 is so young, and such a shame to lose her when she was at the top of her game. R.I.P. and thank-you for your great work Beatrice.

Thanks for commenting.