The Scent of Las Vegas

The Scent Marketing Institute, "the worldwide leading authority that provides information and education about the benefits, development and implementation of Scent Branding efforts and scent-centered marketing strategies", is hoping to capture the smell of Las Vegas:

Harald H. Vogt, Founder of the Scent Marketing Institute and organizer of the SCENTworld Conference & Expo, announced today that a team of leading Scent Marketing and Multi-Sensory Branding experts is collaborating to develop the "Scent of Las Vegas" which will be officially revealed at SCENTworld Conference & Expo 2009.

Top executives from the Las Vegas business community, the City of Las Vegas, and the Vegas Airport Authority are asked to assist in capturing everything that the city stands for -- in a fragrance. Representatives will be present at the unveiling during a Gala Dinner on November 20th, 2009.

"SCENTworld is the only global conference on the use of fragrances for non-traditional purposes such as marketing and branding. We will make a long lasting impression on Vegas, unlike any other conference ever in the city's history", says Harald Vogt "for we are leaving behind the new Signature Scent of Las Vegas. It is the ideal medium to capture and transmit the soul of the city, defining it as a world-class brand."

The fragrance itself is being developed by perfumer Christophe Laudamiel, who also developed a set of fragrances for the World Economic Forum last year. Laudamiel will also deliver the keynote address at the ScentWorld Expo ("Scent Marketing, a view from the top"), which takes place in November.

(via press release from Scent Marketing Institute)

1. vickyjane says:

The scent of desperation, failure and bankruptcy?

• Daisy says:

don’t forget prostitution and organized crime…

2. ggperfume says:

Does neon have a scent? Oh well, there’s always booze and cocaine.

3. Graham says:

Stale smoke trapped in casino carpet, unwashed slot player….

4. CynthiaW says:

Vomit, hot asphalt? Broken dreams?

• Daisy says:

is there such a thing as a “Wayne Newton” accord??

• norjunma1 says:

“Velvet Fog”? No wait, that’s Mel Torme.

• lilydale aka Natalie says:

Eau de Danke Schoen?

5. Fuddy Duddy 101 says:

Since one of my dearest friends lives in Las Vegas, I feel the need to defend her sullied reputation…LOL!
    1) there is no legal prostitution in Clark County where Las Vegas is. However it is legal in the rest of the state of Nevada.
    2) Painstaking effort goes into keeping the casinos as clean as possible including the carpets and fresh O2 is constantly pumped in to keep the smoke diminished.

So, I am expecting some ozone top notes that comes in bright and flashy bottle and hopefully the scent will also have a little bit of skank! :)

Almost all the newer casinos smelled scented to me anyway…it was clear that they were pumping in fragrance.

6. HaraldHVogt says:

Thanks for the creative input. Keep ‘em coming!

• Fuddy Duddy 101 says:

I would love something that has tobacco and cognac in it! That would shout very Las Vegas night club…and by bright and flashy bottle I meant how about something neon and art decco-ish? And skank never equals berry fruity. :)

• Daisy says:

hmmmm Lubin Idole ? Havana Vanille is rum and tobacco-y….Ambre Narguile? Guerlain SDV? Frapin 1270? …..hmmm , well I’m sure people with more experience will have better ideas.

• norjunma1 says:

Cognac might be a little too “old world” for this scent. How about bourbon? It was Sinatra’s standby. It also needs a little sweat in there, but I can’t imagine getting it from a grapefruit accord.

• CynthiaW says:

How about dirty martini? hot plastic? a new deck of cards?

7. justaguy says:

With the risk of sounding vulgar, I think Secretions Magnifiques already has Las Vegas covered…Smells like money and…yeah.

8. Tama says:

Definitely needs the accord of a stack of freshly minted money, that cool inky smell. Plus a hit of tobacco, plastic, warm desert air. And it would need to smell a bit perfumey, like the ladies going out to a show.

• ggperfume says:

Ooh, Tama, you’ve hit it! I want to sniff that one.

9. Robin says:

I have a feeling that none of you have hit on Laudamiel’s final formula, LOL!

• CynthiaW says:

I’m sure we haven’t – but I would love to see them come out with something that is all bright and glittery on top, but has a dark, skanky undertone.

I’m sure they’ll go fruity-floral instead.

• HaraldHVogt says:

Wow, that’s a whole lot of interesting ideas and you all MUST be curious what the outcome will be.
        As a thank you and to satisfy your curiosity we will send the first 10 people that send me an e-mail (harald.vogt@scentmarketing.org) with their contact information a sample once it is released.
        Or come to the conference, join us for dinner and get your olfactory Las Vegas experience first hand.

10. Flowers says:

I can’t wait to smell this fragrance. I love going to Vegas several times a year and love the glitz and excitement. Vegas has alot to offer-and a Vegas scent will be on my wish list for sure.. I always shop for fragrance in Vegas and I hope this will be the perfect one to remind me of our wonderful Vegas trips.

I don’t know if they’re releasing it as a commercial personal scent, but we’ll see!