Usher VIP ~ new fragrance

Usher VIP

Usher has launched VIP, a new fragrance for men and the singer's fifth scent. Per Usher...

I really feel like VIP represents the growth I’ve had in the last two years. The man that wears this fragrance, hopefully, will go out in the world empowered by what he’s wearing.

VIP was developed by perfumer Harry Fremont and features notes of tangerine, bergamot, kumquat, nutmeg, violet leaf, lotus flower, saffron, vetiver, oakmoss and suede.

The Usher VIP packaging was inspired by cognac bottles, and VIP is available in 50 and 100 ml Eau de Toilette and in matching grooming products. It can be found now at Dillards. (via wwd, additional information via dillards)

1. boojum says:

Star Trek meets Boadicea the VIctorious!

LOL…perfect!

• AnnS says:

That’s exactly what I was thinking!!! But I’m like how do you spell that ? B…O…D…I… B…o…a…d ?? Well, Boojum, I’m glad you said it first.

• boojum says:

No fear, Ann…given the variety of spellings I’ve seen for her name, I took the coward’s way out and looked it up under Perfume Houses. :)

• Daisy says:

Live long and prosper…against the Romans? (…as opposed to Romulans…)

2. prism says:

oh my. it looks horrifyingly cheap…

and another men’s frag with citrus topnotes. whoop-dee-doo.

It is not my favorite bottle. In all fairness though, almost every fragrance on earth starts with citrus, whether they list it in the notes or not.

3. vickyjane says:

Maybe Usher should go and see a doctor about that “growth”…

4. miss kitty v. says:

I can only assume his fragrances sell well, or else he would have stopped by now? Sheesh.

I’m going to make a wild guess that maybe his men’s scents are selling better than his women’s? Otherwise I think we’d be seeing another duo.

5. RossM says:

I’ve had the displeasure of sampling the last offering from Usher seeing that my local perfume outlet mostly stocks every celebricrap fragrance known to mankind, but this new bottle is actually quite hilarious.
    Spot on with the Boadicea reference, it’s almost embarrasing!

• pyramus says:

It really is impossible to look at it without thinking of the Boadicea packaging, isn’t it? Certainly the first thing that came to my mind. Still, give him some props for putting a men’s scent in a round bottle (which also calls to mind, if you subtract the Celtic/Star Trek motifs, the bottle for Cartier’s Le Baiser du Dragon). You don’t see many of those.

• RossM says:

I’ll try and give him some props Pyramus but I think I’m too jaded and cynical to really mean it!
        I think I’m just over celebrity fragrances because I’ve tried so many and have been disappointed almost every time. I think maybe because they’re designed to sell to a mass market and as such seem souless and boring to me.
        But yes, you are right, the round bottle is an interesting touch! Obviously he did try to do something a little left of centre for a men’s fragrance – even if it’s only the bottle and not the juice inside.

6. Marsha says:

Is it something captured from the Fifth Imperial Legion? Maybe it would look better if it had a (faux) leopard skin hanging around the cap?

7. krokodilgena says:

I can’t believe they completely stole that celtic motif from Boadicea

I seriously doubt that they did…I really think their inspiration is from cognac bottles, as they said — because it really does look like one!

• krokodilgena says:

I don’t think that bottle looks anything like the Boadicea bottles other than the fact that is round.
        I supposed my comment was failed sarcasm

8. thenoseknows says:

I was thinking more that they stole the Byzanze/Byzantine By Rochas Bottle Design, agreed? Personally… I LIKE THE BOTTLE! :-) Kinda Outrageously Tacky in a fun way… the notes sound pretty damn nice as well! not a fan of Usher, but if they can manage to slap together a nice smellign fragrance… not really caring! P. Diddy or Kanye are different Stories altogether though!

Yeah, it looks like that too. But I really do think they’re after the cognac thing. Think of Kayne swinging around that bottle at the awards…

9. APassionateJourney says:

I wanted to love this! One of my favorite cologne bottles released this year. It’s soo light and smells kinda soapy. I love this bottle so much. Ah, oh well! I bought both of Givenchy’s Play and Play Intense in 3.3 ozs :)

Oh dear, is it light and soapy?? It certainly doesn’t sound like it.

I liked Play Intense. Play, not so much.

10. Nlb says:

The blend sounds nice but I can just hear the development meetings:

Usher: “I’ve experienced a period of growth in my life over hte past few years, my success had lead me to re-evaulate certain things in my life and I want this next fragrance to reflect that change. My customer demographic should be inspired to take their place of power in society as something other than a consumer—to feel like one person has the power to be important and offer something of real value to others; inspiration to volunteer, expand knowledge, experience a new perspective and develop a life-long sense of compassion and community. Maybe a blend that reminds people of building houses for the poor, cleaning-up the oceans, developing green technologies that can be easily used in places where people don’t even have clean water to drink. Oh–my flight leaves in 20 mins., get back to me on that!”

Marketing director, development managers, personal reps: “Yeah, we’ll do that, Usher! Have a safe trip!…(hushed) Ok. So, we’ll do something that makes people think of flashy clubs, bling and hard liquor. Who’s with me, here?!”

LOL — excellent!! Love it.

• wondermelmo says:

HI – LARIOUS! I love you forever, NLB.

11. Nlb says:

Wow–SORRY about the misspellings :). It looks like I was trying to design my own, personal language.

12. eminere says:

What a truly grotesque bottle.

I’m not loving it either.

13. jonr951 says:

Not bad at all. Much better then any of his previous. Nicer then anything from sean john or rocawear. Actually Unforgivable Black for men was really rather great. Totally forgot about it and never got me a bottle. Dang! I do want to try rocawears X.

Glad to hear it!