Bath & Body Works Twilight Woods ~ new fragrance

Bath & Body Works Twilight Woods perfume collection

Twilight Woods, due for launch in November, will be the next addition to the signature collection at Bath & Body Works:

A hypnotic blend developed to instantly evoke the mystery and beauty of enchanted woods. When the sun has set and the evening begins, the unique enchantment of twilight woods is awakened through sights, sounds and scent. A new distinctly feminine fragrance, an alluring blend of bright flowers, surprising spices and creamy woods – layers upon layers of youthful luxury with an elegant touch of cashmere, captures the singular pleasure of a twilight stroll. Perfect for a cozy night in or magical night out, the intensely feminine fragrance wraps the wearer in a soothing warmth. Twilight Woods is the newest addition to Bath & Body Works’ “Cuddler” collection, a set of scents designed to make you feel cozy, comforted and relaxed.

Twilight Woods was developed by perfumers Harry Fremont, Jane Konnyu and Honorine Blanc; the notes feature berry, mandarin, coconut, frangipani, mimosa, wet honeysuckle, apricot, oud wood, musk, orris, vanilla milk and warm woods.

Bath & Body Works Twilight Woods will be available in 50 ml Eau de Toilette, in a limited edition roller-on, and in matching bath & body products. A trial size of the body lotion is available now at the Bath & Body Works website. (via pwrnewmedia)

Update: see a review of Bath & Body Works Twilight Woods.

1. boojum says:

Sounded fantastic until I hit the note list (with just the foreshadowing of “layers of youthful luxury” to make me suspicious). Oh well, maybe I’ll give it a sniff anyway…sometimes the notes fool me.

The list of notes was surprising to me too, after reading the description. Maybe it’s darker and woodier than it sounds. Vanilla milk + oudh does sound nice!

2. ScentScelf says:

Twilight…when the vampires get ready to come out…oh, wait, was I supposed to think that??? ;)

3. marko says:

At 45, I doubt I am still in the “youthful” category….so when are they going to start making a perfume with “layers of geriatric luxury”?

• newsitian09@yahoo.com says:

eau de wrinkle?

LOL! But I do think BBW is reaching for a somewhat more mature market than they used to…

• Joe says:

Yeah, they’re “reaching” toward the 30-35 y/o set… ;)

4. asuperlongusername says:

I was thinking, the entire time I was reading this, “How on earth are they going to make this as sweet as everything else in the line?” Then I got to the notes list. Maybe by Twilight Woods, they really mean Twilight Wood Fruit Bowl. Sounds way too fruity.

Still, I’m so curious. Never thought oud would make it’s way into a B&BW fragrance.

• miss kitty v. says:

If it really did smell like the woods at twilight, I would be into this. (As a bubble bath, anyway. I’ve learned my lesson about what to buy and what not to buy at BBW.) Not so into the Twilight Woods Fruit Bowl…Is this woods the one Toucan Sam inhabits?

• ScentScelf says:

Now you’re getting Loopy. ;)

• miss kitty v. says:

Maybe I’ve come down with Fruit Lupus.

• RusticDove says:

:-D

It is the Year of the Oud, truly: Bond, By Kilian, Juliette Has A Gun, L’Artisan, Comptoir Sud Pacifique….

• RusticDove says:

Exactly – I couldn’t believe it when I read ‘oud’ in the list of notes from BB&W! Of course, this is likely to be the sweetest oud out there. All this fruity sugary sweet stuff is so tiresome – enough already. Sheesh. It’s making me cranky. lol

5. Daisy says:

Berry? Mimosa? hmmm….dubious notes for me. Nice name for a fragrance, but I think Superlong has the right idea: Twilight Wood Fruit Bowl.
    Next….

Notes can be so deceiving…hopefully this will live up to its name.

6. GalileosDaughter says:

Oud must really be the note of the moment when it hits BBW.

Actually, if you take out the berry, it sounds pretty good. I like berry, but usually BBW’s rendition of it is too artificial for me. Still, I’ll go give it a sniff.

So true! Although I already said that to myself when Comptoir Sud Pacifique did 4 ouds…

• Joe says:

I’m waiting for Paris Hilton Oud Fantasia.

• GalileosDaughter says:

Let’s not give anyone any ideas!

BS Oud Fantasy
          JLo Oud Glow
          DK Oud Delicious
          RL Ralph Oud
          CK CK Oud One
          EL Youth D’Oud

Oh no…

• Joe says:

Don’t forget…

DSQUARED2 HeOud & SheOud

Paris Hilton Oud Fantasia! Awesome.

7. alltheprettythings says:

The copy reminded me of the old Tweeds catalogs – models in aubergine shawls and wellie-style boots on twilight walks in autumn. Fab eye candy – that was a great company!

This could be interestesting, but BBW has this synthetic dry down in nearly all their fragrances that reminds of me old-school aerosol deodorants.

• ScentScelf says:

Oh, those Tweeds catalogues…never a straight up color…(smiles at memory of “aubergine,” “cloud smoke,” etc.).

• GalileosDaughter says:

Ah Tweeds, thanks for the memories!

• RusticDove says:

Oh how I miss Tweeds!!

8. Absolute Scentualist says:

The only smell of twilight woods around here usually consists of insect repellent and campfire smoke. I like the smoke; the bug repellent not so much. ;)

But yes, oud wood and vanilla milk sounds interesting. This stew of notes reminds me of the odd mess that’s Black Amethyst. There’s just too much conflict trying to make BA sophisticated, and it’s just way too busy and indecisive for me. I hope this doesn’t turn out to be the same. I still haven’t even tried P. S. I Love You yet.

I haven’t tried PSILY yet either. Plenty of time before this one launches.

• mallory says:

i work for bbw and when we launched p.s. i love you we definitely got some mixed reviews at first. it’s really important to try it on your skin and let it settle there so you can smell the mid-notes of the fragrance. the top notes are yellow and black roses and some peony, so it comes off really strong at first. once it settles on your skin though you can start to smell the deeper tones of amber, incense, and sandalwood. and if you want to try PSILY, you should try it in the eau de parfum since there are more essential oils of the fragrance notes in there in relation to the alcohol content.

we just got the candles in our store for twilight woods and when i smelled it the fragrance was completely different from what i thought it was going to be. it does sound like a very sweet fragrance with hints of wood tones, but when you actually smell it you can barely smell the fruity tones to it. you can definitely smell the tuscan cypress, oud, sandalwood, and a light musk. the sweeter tones, such as the apricot nectar, are there also, but they are much more subtle than the wood tones. Sorry this is so long!

• ggperfume says:

What, you’re not yearning for the citronella accord?

• alltheprettythings says:

ha! I’m glad someone else feels that way – I’m still scratching my head over Yankee Candle’s Citronella scented candles…

• Tama says:

Citronella candles are for keeping bugs at bay when you burn them out on the patio, not just as a fragrance candle.

• alltheprettythings says:

Right, but they made indoor citronella candles! Ack!

9. perfumesecrets says:

Hope it smells a little like their chestnut soap from a past season. The oud wood interests me…

Oh, never smelled that soap — sounds nice!

10. abirae says:

I really like their single note scents – chestnut soap, rootbeer shampoo, pumpkin spice candles… and their spice/pine christmas candle was lovely. But I find their “dark” scents and “sophisticated blends” are to be a mess. I just sniffed PS I love You this weekend and it smelled like someone poured ALL of the Demeters in a punch bowl. (Gingerale, champagne, synthetic grass, lysol, swimming pool, Teen Spirit deodorant, hairspray… etc. It actually borders on an avante garde teen girl locker room scent.)

• abirae says:

Oh, I’m also excited to try their new Perfect Autumn collection – Leaves, Balsam, Harvest Berry and Ginger Vanilla. I’ve also found the scents associated with their Slatkin and Aromatherapy lines to be a little better than the “Classics” – more nuanced with less of the synthetic fruit scent.

I’m now (perversely) even more interested in trying PS I Love You! That sounds weird.

• miss kitty v. says:

Champagne, hair spray and Teen Spirit…yes, that certainly reminds me of my adolescence. Of course, if was Boones Farm, not champagne. ;)

• abirae says:

Boones Farm Strawberry Hill! That’s the missing note!

11. Nlb says:

The winds, they are “a’changin”—-is it just me…or is a new page being turned in the universal fragrance story, when the “Jessica Simpson” brand produces a non-gourmande, dry white floral and B&BW releases something containing notes named “oud” and “orris” (and obviously marketing it to a specific female audience–mainly, young)? Are we on the cusp of a newly scented time? A new fragrance era? Has the target group that once longed for rasberries and strawberries dipped in caramel and served atop sugar cookies with buttercream frosting, finally maturing? I have a feeling that once the “peppered litchi–cherry blossom–peony” phase cools down, once the Asian markets have been fully saturated, the screeching-Kool-Aid-fruity-florals we’ve known over the past decade and a half, might be but a fading memory. The mainstream scents I’ve tested over the past few months seem collectively drier, woodier and full of more character than their recent peers (not afraid to be interesting and even a little disconcerting). More people are taking-up fragrance collecting and testing as a hobby, I’ll guess; consumers are becoming sophisticated sniffers :). Perfumers are having to work harder (or really, just able to do what they’d like to be doing instead of making the grill-cleaner-Kool-Aid blends that customers often order) in order to please the masses. Culture often becomes so beautiful and subtle when it finally “grows up” …do you think it’s finally happening?

• lilydale aka Natalie says:

American mass-market culture growing up? If only! Unfortunately, H.L. Mencken’s “booboisie” is thriving, and my guess is that most of today’s mass-market scents smell just the same as their predecessors and are made of the same slop — the p.r. people just throw terms like “oud” into the copy to make ‘em seem hip and cutting-edge. I agree that there are a few exceptions, however, and thank goodness for them.

I think they’re trying to reach out to a new audience, so not sure it’s a sign that their traditional audience is growing more sophisticated.

12. Nlb says:

I know you can often smell whatever newest “note” the elves at the flavor houses have concocted (and are selling at a good price) running throughout most new scents, but I have a hunch that scent tastes are changing and we might be entering a drastic shift in fragrance style; I’m thinking of how fragrance shifted drastically in the late 50′s–early 60′s and again in the 80′s. Or even something as drastic as from the late 1700′s to the early 1800′s; going from oily, powder-caked, ornate florals to sheerer, petal waters and herbal washes. The way the present smells, from a cultural perspective, is changing.

• lilydale aka Natalie says:

I hope you’re right! I’d be happy to leave the sheer/clean ’90s and the fruity-floral/cupcake ’00s behind; I’m just a pessimist when it comes to the tastes of the American public.

13. Nlb says:

I’m also surprised there’s no fig in “Twilight Woods”. It would’ve blended well; fig always makes me think of twilight and damp greens in early evening.

14. CedriCeCCentriC says:

The name and the look of the packaging are totally refering to the books and the movie franchise in my opinion. I hope Stephenie Meyer gets some royalty on this.
    Same for Cecelia Aherns P.S. I Love You…
    Maybe book titles don’t have trademarks?

Oh, you could be right! I don’t know much about Twilight.

• mallory says:

lol, i also thought that p.s. i love you was named after the movie, but it actually isn’t. i’m thinking they got the name for it possibly from the rose that is in the fragrance since rose is a romantic flower, who knows on that one.

twilight woods is not named after the twilight saga either, but i do think that the november 2nd release date is a strategic move for bbw since new moon comes out the same month.

15. _Sweet_Dreams says:

i am curious to try this but usually berries and coconut together… yikes.

Could be very sweet, who knows.

16. missmandyp says:

I absolutely ADORE this scent! It’s wonderful. I love it so much, I bought the 4 oz candle, two of the preview lotions, and the roll-on fragrance! It’s perfect for fall! I hope they make this part of the permanent line!

Glad you love it!

17. justpaulina says:

I bought the sample last week and I absolutely LOVE it. Maybe my nose isn’t as sophisticated as some people’s, but Twilight Woods doesn’t smell very berry-ish to me at all. It IS quite sugary, but woodsy at the same time (to me, the milk scent stands out a lot too). I love how subtle it is, I work in a library and if I wear something too strong people comment all day long. The lotion is perfect for work. This will definitely be what I wear throughout the fall!!

Glad you found a perfect fall scent! I still need to try it.

18. MayaLinda says:

I bought the roll-on ( Im in love with roll ons now!) and the lotion. I tend to go for any “woodsy” fall, autumn walk in the woods fragrance. I am not disappointed by this one. It comes on strong but fades quickly to a subtle deep scent ( like Paulina wrote) To me, this one is unique. I normally avoid all the fruity BBW products.

I still have not tried it…no testers last I was there.

19. scentedrat says:

It’s definitely SWEET. Reminds me quite a lot of the retired Brown Sugar and Fig they used to have. It’s nice, but it’s very heavy and borders on being cloying on me. I bought sample sizes of the lotion, body spray, and the roll-on perfume. They lotion and spray are very, very strong. I don’t smell any woods; it’s just sweet and gourmand-y to my nose. Not something I’ll be buying.

Thanks so much for the review!

20. _Sweet_Dreams says:

this smells like it could be a kenzo amour flanker… kenzo amour apricot or something… I do like foody things, but only when they’re somewhat tastefully done. This one might depend on the wearer, sweet things usually smell nice on me. The edt is nice but in my opinion, the lotion is horrible, you can’t smell the musk at all, it’s just fruity

Kenzo Amour + apricot sounds good to me!

21. hellomoto says:

I tried the roll-on randomly at the mall, and couldn’t stop smelling it. In fact, this is one of those fragrances for me that I cannot resist smelling over and over when I put it on. I’m wearing it right now, and I find myself smelling my wrist every few minutes. The only other scent that’s ever made me do this is the unfortunately discontinued Ambre Passion by Laura Mercier (which should give you an idea of the kind of scents I am into as a whole).

I can really sense the coconut, and I think, surprisingly, that’s what gives Twilight Woods a lot of mystery cause you wouldn’t think that coconut would ever work with this scent combination. I mean, I would have never even guessed that’s what I’m smelling. It is indeed very sweet, the top notes make me think of sugar plums or something; however, it does have enough rich base notes to give it a more warm, mature side. So, it’s definitely not the “little girl” kind of sugary scent.

The roll-on design is good, but I have learned to simply press down with it rather than actually rolling the ball across my skin (there’s little particles floating around inside it now so that’s not very hygienic).

It also lasts pretty much the whole day, which is a great deal for the price–I’ve been using it for a month now, and I’ve only gone through roughly 1/7 of the total amount. So that comes out to what, a Dollar a month? Nice!

22. lovesmell says:

it seems like a lot of people were disappointed with twilight woods, but i’m 20 and i absolutely love it. i think we should appreciate how it smells so incredibly different from all other b&bw scents. i like this and midnight pomegranate. that’s it. i typically like really fruity scents like escada and fresh scents like dkny be delicious (all described as younger scents) but when i smelled this, it reminded me of fall/winter leaves with a hint of sweetness. i guess i pick up on some fruityness, but not really and this is coming from someone who smells fruity almost everyday! but everyone’s nose and skin is different. i’m sure a lot of young girls (age 12-15ish) will get this because of the word “twilight” but i don’t see it lasting, i see them setting it aside or giving it away because it smells too sophisticated for them (that’s just my opinion). i see them going more towards the actual twilight perfume which sounds so much sweeter than this. on me, twilight woods smells woodsy and a tad sweet and dries down to sweet almonds and crushed leaves. i adore it. i have the body lotion, body creme, shower gel, 1 oz. toilette and .28 oz. roll on :) i plan to keep it in my collection.

23. haitiana says:

This is one of the sweetest fragance I have smelt the coconut and flowers you can smell is so sutil and female
    wonderful also it was a wonderful gift

24. kayest says:

Ok my husband got me this fragrance this past Christmas and I was thinking it was a NEW one but looking here it is not. I tried the body wash just this week. Was taking a bath, but had to stand up and take a shower to try and get the scent off. So strong I got a headache and even after rinsing in shower could not get it off totally. I do NOT like this scent. WAY too strong. I have rosacea and it broke my face out in a rash. He threw away the receipt so now I have to go try and exchange the other 3 bottles of this scent for something else and throw this 1 bottle away. What a waste.