Banana Republic Republic of Women, Republic of Men ~ new fragrances

Banana Republic Republic of Women, Republic of Men fragrances

Banana Republic is expected to launch Republic of Men and Republic of Women in late August or early September. The new fragrances are for the "sportier, khaki-pants guy and white-shirt girl”.

Republic of Men was developed by perfumer Laurent Le Guernec; the woody chypre features notes of clementine, plum, fig leaf, rosemary, basil, sage, hazelnut, sandalwood, cedar and creamy skin musks.

Republic of Women was developed by perfumer Harry Fremont; the green fruity floral includes cassis, osmanthus, lychee, bergamot, peony, pink jasmine, Moroccan rose, lily, musk and precious woods.

Banana Republic Republic of Men & Republic of Women will be available in 30, 50 and 100 ml Eau de Toilette. (quote via wwd, additional information via moodiereport)

1. krokodilgena says:

Bananas for Men and Bananas for Women would have been better names

• Existentialist says:

They could be marketed as (albeit late-in-the day) tie-ins to the Woody Allen film!

Doubt they’d agree with you ;-)

2. boojum says:

The new fragrances are for the “sportier, khaki-pants guy and white-shirt girl”.

Because of course, there aren’t enough of those out there. :D Sadly, I look deathly ill in white, so I guess I’ll be passing these by.

I don’t think they have the means to enforce the clothing, LOL…

3. bergere says:

“White-shirt girl”? I thought that’s who Tommy Girl was for.

Probably, and many others as well.

4. marko says:

I haven’t had much luck with BR fragrances in the past, but the notes in “Bananas for Men” sound divine…..I love a good plum note. Hmmmm….we’ll see…..

They both sound worth trying.

5. 3xasif says:

Banana Republic W is one of my fave easy breezy go to frags. Bobbi Brown is quoted as saying it’s her favourite soapy scent & she wished she had created it! look forward to giving this a sniff.

with all the “over the top give me a break” (tick tick tick tick tick etc etc…..*yawn*) marketing of the niche houses, i’m all for a white t-shirt scent. sometimes i don’t want the complexity of my gorgeous vintages or niches & the K.I.S.S. concept is just perfect :D

I’ll have to try W!

• kaos.geo says:

Dear Robin, I personally doubt you’ll like W (at least the one for men), as it is one of those “clean laundry” scents.
        But of course I may be wrong.
        It does smell “not cheap” (Not Eau de Campagne , Bulgari Thé vert extreme, or Prada Amber pour homme “expensive”, but definitely more expensive than GAP Dreams)

I totally disliked the latest from BR, like Malachite, Cordovan, etc. so I still have hopes for these, specially with the Fig leaf in the men’s .

Thanks P, you’re probably right.

• 3xasif says:

as i mentioned it IS a “soapy clean” floral – Bobbi Brown was referring to was the women’s version of “W” btw, not the mens. sometimes a simple scent for under $50 for 100ml is just right. i find it a perfect scent for work or very hot days. uncomplicated & pretty. it does bother me a teensy bit that it gets tons of compliments & my Apres l’Ondee parfum gets none…..go figure :D

Isn’t that always the way? The masterpieces get no attention, LOL…

6. miss kitty v. says:

I like the names, but only because they sound delightfully like something that would sell well on a gay cruise. Maybe Republic of Women could be the new sponsor of Olivia Cruiselines. I think I’ll go ask them…

I like the names too…didn’t strike me the same way they struck you though!

• krokodilgena says:

they made me think of astronauts getting lost in another galaxy and crashing onto a planet with only men or women.
        maybe my imagination is a little too active

• miss kitty v. says:

Oh, yeah–I can totally see the sci-fi angle there! There was a Sherri S. Tepper book called the Gate to Women’s Country, or something like that. The Republic of Women could easily be the sequel.

• kaos.geo says:

Miss Kitty V., have you read Raising The Stones, or Sideshow by Tepper? I love her books. Still have not read Gate to women’s country or Grass :-P

• miss kitty v. says:

No, I’ll have to read those! When I was in my master’s program (years ago, admittedly) I didn’t get to read for fun, so I’ve been catching up on my backlog of books. I will have to add those to the list. :)

• capillary says:

LOL, I know. Didn’t separatism go out after the ’70s?

7. Joe says:

I used to love BR Classic. In fact, I wish I still had some and may need to get a bit of that. Recent men’s offerings haven’t wowed me, but it’s still where I buy 85% of my clothes. ;)

8. alltheprettythings says:

I passionately disliked everything about BR Alabaster and since then, have stuck up my snobby bitchy nose at all their fragrances. These 2 do nothing to dispell my admittedly unreasonable crankiness…

Gosh, but that’s just 1 scent! I can’t afford to be so picky, LOL…

• alltheprettythings says:

I know, I’m just being unreasonable :D – and I’m a BR card holder! lol

9. Rictor07 says:

I like Cordovan for men, and was looking forward to trying this one, but the hazelnut must be invisible for me to like it. Yesterday i smelled Givenchy Very Irresistible, and its hazelnut was horrifying to me.

I don’t think I ever tried the Cordovan. I do wish they’d give out real samples (in vials, not little towelettes)

10. Tama says:

I keep forgetting Banana Repubic (intended) even has scents – I can’t fit into anything in there (well, sometimes something from the men’s department) so never go in unless I am shopping with a skinny-mini. Maybe next time that happens I’ll give some stuff a whiff, because there is sure nothing else for me to do in there.

They’ve got a fair sized collection of scents now! Might as well drop in :-)

• miss kitty v. says:

HA! :) Love it.

11. flittersniffer says:

I am always very wary of Harry Fremont’s creations (L.A.M.B).

And what’s with the “precious” woods here? Is that as opposed to plywood, OSB or some wood dust sweepings off the floor?

: – )

12. lydiadrama says:

Why, oh why did they do away with Modern? Am hording two bottles an American relation found at one of Florida’s monster discount malls. Flacon is (was) lovely, too–reminds me of Calyx (Prescriptives).

I had never heard of it…what year was it from?

• lydiadrama says:

Good question. I first picked up a bottle in the late 1990s (’97? ’98?) in Vancouver but I have no idea when it first appeared. A thousand pardons!

Hey, no need to pardon…was just curious! And went to peek at Basenotes — they say 1997.

• lydiadrama says:

Most grateful for the information–interesting!

13. thenoseknows says:

They Both Sound Wonderful… have never been disappointed by Banana Republic (first time for everything i am sure, but not as of yet) and these Sound great. LOVE OSMANTHUS and hope the women’s version is as scintillating as it sounds…. am already sold on the mens version!

I love osmanthus too…we’ll see!

14. Na says:

They both sound great! Can’t wait to give them a sniff ><

Hope you’ll like them!