Pepper & Tanky fragrances for dogs

Pepper & Tanky Big Dawg perfumePepper & Tanky is a new line of fragrances for dogs, debuting with four hypo-allergenic, paraben-free scents: Big Dawg, Vanilla Woof, Peaches n' Cream and Puppy Love.

Big Dawg (shown) ~ "A aromatic medley of Bergamot and Neroli, with a touch, of lavender and musk that creates this ideal scent for the sophisticated modern dog."

Vanilla Woof ~ "A splendid chypre floral fragrance, with fruity hints and sweet vanilla that any doggie will desire."

Peaches n' Cream ~ "An opulent floral and fruity combination that will win the hearts of your sassy dog."

Puppy Love ~ "A light refreshing blend of bergamot, amber, and jasmine are perfectly balanced to make your pooch smell fresh and cuddly..."

Pepper & Tanky Big Dawg, Vanilla Woof, Peaches n' Cream and Puppy Love are available in 60 ml Eau de Parfum for $44 each. They can be purchased at the Pepper & Tanky website.

1. bergere says:

I’m speechless.

• Kankuro says:

Me too…

I think this is a growing field…I know there are several brands making doggie fragrances.

• miss kitty v. says:

Juicy Couture made (or makes, not sure if it is still around) a dog fragrance. That one actually seemed about right: ladies in Juicy sweats, carrying their Juicy-scented dog in their Juicy handbag.

• platinum14 says:

Yeah, I’ve even came across (though I now can’t recall where–sign of age I guess) a company that made one that was to be worn by both beast and owner… They had a dog version and a cat version
        YIKES!

• platinum14 says:

Oh my Dog! and Oh my Cat! created by Laurent Jugeau and Etienne de Swardt, ex-Givenchy
          I think…

Right! Thanks, had forgotten those.

2. pigoletto says:

I have to say I’d never spray a pet with any scent, but those are kind of cute. My cat goes a bit crazy when I wear Eau de Rochas or Arpege – he sniffs my wrists, tries to lick them, then belly flops on my lap with his nose in my arm!

How cute!

• fleurdelys says:

I used to have a beagle who, as I got ready in the morning and sprayed perfume on myself, would come into the bathroom, sniff the air appreciatively, and then rub the top of his head into the bathmat (hoping to collect some fragrance molecules, I guess!). On the other hand, I now own a Shetland sheepdog who loves to “perfume” himself by rubbing his muzzle and head inside my husband’s workboots (especially just after he’s taken them off). Oh well, no accounting for taste, I guess…

• platinum14 says:

I get major kissy face from my cat when I wear my lip balm as it contains mint and rosemary (same plant family as catnip)

• bergere says:

Me too! There was also a toothpaste I used to use that would drive my cat wild. Then she found out where I kept my toothbrush. It got ugly after that.

3. RusticDove says:

I don’t know if my dog is modern or sophisticated enough. My cat on the other hand – totally sophisticated. So why isn’t there a fragrance for her?!

It’s interesting, there are now quite a few scent for dogs, but I don’t know of any for cats. Maybe there are some I don’t know about.

• RusticDove says:

I just want to clarify – that was supposed to be tongue in cheek btw. ;-)

• boojum says:

Even so…. it’s probably because cats smell nice already, and dogs STINK!

• Daisy says:

lol yup —cats generally smell kind of good….like sun and dust. Of course MY cats always smell verra verra nice because their mommy wears nice perfume and they lay on me….so the kitties usually end up a little “perfumed” as well.

• dongo.bongo says:

That’s good if your cat smells nice after having the perfume dabbed. I think, on animals the method of application counts. I once sprayed Mugler Cologne to my dog; afterwards I could never smell Cologne the same way again, as it got so strong and nauseating. :p

• Suzanne941 says:

HEY!!!
          Well, now that you mention it….

• Daisy says:

:-D

• Dagmar says:

Yeah, that’s why I’m kind of skeptical about this. Nothing can cover the smell of dog, so these would have to blend with it. The vanilla one kind of scares me.

4. bergere says:

You would think that dogs, with their ultra-sensitive sense of smell, would not appreciate being sprayed with some scent over which they had no control. My cat certainly hates perfume; every time I “test” something on my wrist, when I go to pat or scratch her ears she flinches and runs in the opposite direction. And not just patchouli, either (ducking under my desk).

Perhaps it depends on the dog…I would guess that many that are professionally groomed on a regular basis are already used to it? But don’t know.

5. perfumesecrets says:

I know people want their dogs to smell good, but most dogs don’t care for perfume. All of mine sneeze and run away from any kind of perfume…lol

I’m sure many dogs don’t like it…

6. Daisy says:

**Looking at Roxie, sprawled gracelessly, flat on her back, tongue lolling on the rug…** nope, no sophistication or class there…Goodness knows despite regular scrub-downs with Suave clarifying shampoo (great on dogs with sensitive skin) she still smells like a dog…but I’d hesitate to spray her down with fragrance….sensitive noses and a fragrance she couldn’t get away from? I’d worry that it was giving her a doggie headache. Doesn’t mean I can’t dream about having a “good” smelling dog.

I have a feeling they’re after the market that takes the pet to be groomed, as opposed to using Suave at home ;-)

7. proximity says:

I think my dog and I have a compromise that works for us …

He wants to be as stinky as possible all the time, whereas I’d rather he smelled nice.
    We’ve met one another half-way – he lets me lather him up with doggy shampoo once in a while, and I promise not to spray anything on him that will hurt his adorable nose.

I have noticed that once in a while the dog or the cats will seem interested in my perfume :)

• Daisy says:

Have you ever tried baby shampoo on your dog? I used to have a dalmation who had an allergy to everything imaginable—the only shampoo I could use on her was baby shampoo! And while I don’t really like the smell of baby shampoo on people….it smells really really nice on dogs! (go figure) My current dog ** likes** suave….leaves her pretty good smelling…at least for a few days.

• alotofscents says:

Hi Daisy. Baby shampoo smells..motherly (nostalgic) and it won’t burn their pretty eyes.

8. Rictor07 says:

They should make a fragrance for dogs that smells like cats. They would all go crazy for it.

• owengreen says:

Maybe with top notes of catnip?

• Suzanne941 says:

My two would eat each other…they love cats, with a side of fries.
      Seriously, I wouldn’t put perfume on an animal. It might be sensitizing and besides, they’ll just lick it off. I have standard dachshunds and they ingest everything.

9. 734elizabeths says:

If a dog thinks he smells wrong, he’ll roll in something to mask the smell. Problem solved, from his perspective! Scented shampoos or (egh) perfumes for dogs are likely to cause a dog to “fix” his scent in this way, leading to another bath and another spritz on the spitz, leading to another roll in the decomposing squirrel….

Quite so, many dogs do that.

10. krokodilgena says:

sometimes I joke about wanting a perfume for Bella (my cat)
    but I’m obviously joking
    the only time I put perfume on my cat is when I pet her and some of mine rubs off onto her

• Daisy says:

that’s the best way to perfume your cat. Also how my kitties end up smelling “pretty”….and they don’t seem to mind that.

• krokodilgena says:

for some reason Bella HATES Black Cashmere. There’s one more she hates but I can’t remember, maybe Ourzazate ( ; ___ ; )
        if I try to pet her while I’m wearing it, she’ll run away lol

• krokodilgena says:

ermmm my crying face messed up lol

11. Tama says:

Someone tried to give me some kind of cat aromatherapy spray to try on Buster and I said I wanted to keep living so no thanks. Can you imagine some one dumb enough to invent something for a cat that comes in a spray?? B heads for the hills when I am spritzing stuff to iron, nowhere near him.

However, I am pleased to report that B still snuggled up in my neck to purr when I was all coated with Vicks so I don’t think he cares too much about how I smell.

I do think even w/ these P&T scents, they don’t want you to spray directly on the dog, but to spray on a cloth or your hands & then pat on the dog.

• bergere says:

Actually, that’s another thing cats don’t like–is the hissing sound coming from an aerosol can. I guess most perfumes don’t make a sound when they’re sprayed, but a room spray or maybe an aromatherapy scent might.

12. faintlymacabre says:

I had meant to bring this up in an open poll, but now seems like as good as a time as any- my cat often tries to lick me where I’ve applied scent. She does that with lotion, too. Is this common? She seems to like L’Eau du Desert Marocain especially…

• sapphie says:

My cat was particularly interested in licking Jicky, and lately L’Air de Rien. Who knows what note they’re picking out and what it’s saying to them, but it’s a testament to how lifelike synthetics can be.

• alotofscents says:

Cats will sometimes lick their owners as a grooming ritual. Your cat apparently doesn’t think that scent is deliberately applied…Darn cat critics.

13. Jill says:

Now this sounds to me like something you’d find in The Onion! I didn’t realize pet fragrance was a growth industry. I would never spray my cats with anything … one of them hates me enough as it is for spraying myself so frequently …

LOL…it does sound like the Onion!

14. cazaubon says:

There were two fragrances launched a few years ago called “Oh My Dog” and “Oh My Cat” neither of which were very remarkable. I love my dogs/cats natural smell, but they often smell of my perfume due to all the hugs and kisses they get from me.

Right, had forgotten those!

15. aimiliona says:

My dog says these will never replace original toilet water.

16. sapphie says:

There was an article recently in the New York Times about the tendency of people (especially people of affluence) to reward their dogs on human terms, as opposed to dog terms. Hundreds of dollars are spent on designer outfits, haute grooming, gourmet biscuits, bottled water ,…and now doggie perfumes, in a misguided attempt to pamper and spoil them. But how can a dog appreciate a Hermes jacket? All he wants is a toss of the frisbee, a scratch behind the ears and a roll in something stinky.

17. alotofscents says:

Yep, Old Dead Thing would be most dogs favorite perfume. My dog fears the sound of a sprayer, and hates perfume except Sensual, Gardenia Slash, and Stella In Two–go figure. I think anthropomorphisizing an animal is wrong. But, then again, my Bichon Frisse is my little girl. She’s filthy but insists on smelling like decomp whenever possible. You can take the Bichon out of France, but you can’t take the dog out of the Bichon.

Old Dead Thing! That’s probably their next scent.

18. Celestia says:

My neighbours always know if their cat and dogs have been to see “The Perfume Lady” because they return home smelling like perfume. I wear a different one almost every day and they rub up against my neck. There’s nothin’ like the smell of clean puppies. Don’t know that I’d like to spray something artificial on them unless they’ve been sprayed by a skunk first! The neighbours’ late dog, Tundra, got sprayed and they bathed her in tomato juice. Can you imagine a snow white Maremma dog covered in red? Apparently, several months later, when the dog was wet, its fur still stunk of skunk. We always give them critters a wide berth in these here parts!

It is truly amazing how long a dog will smell like skunk.