Calvin Klein CK Free, Adidas Free Emotion ~ new fragrances

CK Free by Calvin KleinCalvin Klein will launch CK Free, a new fragrance for men, in August.

The fragrance notes include absinthe, jack fruit, star anise, juniper berry, buchu, leather suede, coffee, tobacco leaves, iron wood, oak, patchouli and cedar.

I'll update with more details when I can find them. (via parfuemerie-thiemann.de)

Other recent launches from Calvin Klein: CK One Summer 2009, CK One & CK Be “We are one”, Euphoria Spring Temptation, Eternity Summer 2009, CK IN2U Heat.

Update: Calvin Klein CK Free will be available in 30, 50 and 100 ml Eau de Toilette. Many thanks to Nick for the info! Another update: CK Free is a woody aromatic, and "...is about casual, everyday living — and living life without boundaries". (via wwd)

And yet another update: CK Free was developed by perfumers Ellen Molner and Rodrigo Flores-Roux. Still more: see a review of Calvin Klein ck free.

Adidas Free Emotion perfumeAdidas will launch Free Emotion, a new floriental fragrance for "independent and confident" women, in July.

The fragrance notes include lemon, apple, black currant, raspberry, freesia, rose leaves, livly of the valley, hibiscus, green banana, melon, cotton musk, acajou wood, wenge and cedar.

Adidas Free Emotion will be available in 30 and 50 ml Eau de Toilette and in matching body products. (via cosmoty.de)

1. prism says:

huh. ckfree surprises me with the total lack of anything “fresh”-sounding. no water accord, no melon,… why, could it possible that it’s entirely calone free?

especially with a name like “free”.

• miss kitty v. says:

It does sound very woodsy for something in a pretty clear blue bottle. And with the “free” tacked on.CK mens fragrances have never impressed me, but this one sounds like it may be… ok.

It does sound surprisingly “un fresh” for something in the “ck” as opposed to the “Calvin Klein” range. But since I’ve seen virtually nothing about it other than this list of notes, I’ll wait & see!

• adamj2004 says:

Sorry to disappoint everyone but CKFree is a totally fresh-smelling, generic sport fragrance. I work for Coty and am extremely disappointed with their output lately.

Figures! Thanks.

2. tjoppie says:

CKfree… is buchu now one of the “now” notes? I sincerely hope so.

Could be!

• pyramus says:

Absinthe is certainly one of the “in” notes: it’s everywhere these days.

But this sounds like it might be okay, if they don’t contaminate it with freshness. Tobacco, leather, star anise and coffee? Count me in!

3. bergere says:

“Acajou wood” sounds so much more free than “mahogany”, I guess.
    When I see the word “free” in reference to a fragrance, my first thought is “fragrance-free”. CK Free seems to be taking the next logical step away from CK one, which was pretty undetectible to begin with.

It’s true it wasn’t long lasting, but gosh that smell is burned into my brain even after all these years, so will dispute undetectable!

4. Farah says:

Adidas Free Emotion sounds like it would definitely give me unpleasant emotions! A shame because I love wenge notes. But banana, apple and blackcurrant…ack! CK Free sounds interesting, even though I grew up near jack fruit and found the stench of it very strong and unpleasant. But as Angela was saying in one of her posts, I shouldn’t pre-judge!

• bergere says:

I had to go look wenge up on Wiki. I wonder why wenge (a tropical wood) is allowed in perfumery, since the sawdust of the wood can irritate eyes or skin, according to the article.

Might not be real, and might be in small enough proportions that it doesn’t matter.

• owengreen says:

That’s a funny little thing you hit on. What those notes are, is just an interpretation. They have no real bearing on what might be in the fragrance. They just have someone who smells it then comes up with a marketable description.

take fcuk for him for example. In the description it says that it has a base of note of C02. Carbon dioxide has absolutely no smell. It’s just that by putting it in the description, it gives off the impression of some sort of ethereal light note.

It’s a lot more marketable and easier to understand if it says it contains notes of cotton candy with a wafting of spiced almonds; rather than saying it smells like 2%ethymaltol 4%vanillin 10% benzaldehyde and 8% eugenol.

• Farah says:

A base note of carbon dioxide…LOL! Apparently mice can smell CO2 though, so maybe it should be marketed towards them…although I expect cheese would work better ;-)

The Adidas is not calling out to me either.

• missgenka says:

Me either. And as much as “banana” in a scent makes me want to flee, my memory says green bananas don’t really smell like much… faint greenery?

• I agree. I’m actually sampled a fragrance with a green banana note today, but it doesn’t have that sweet, tropical drink smell you usually get with banana.

What was it?

• Jean Patou EnJoy

• Farah says:

Strangely I ate a savoury dish made with green banana last week! It’s not sweet at all, and much nicer than ripe banana to my nose (but my nose is very picky about banana – I don’t like most gardenia scents because they remind me of banana or mouldy cheese). Yes it is mostly green, but there was an obvious flavour as well.

5. Tama says:

I don’t know about the Adidas – I would feel like I was spraying deodorant all over my body, just looking at the bottle.

I was hoping the CK Free would be something in an eco-friendly line. Whatever.

The Adidas bottles are always very sporty!

6. thenoseknows says:

WOW! The CKFree Sounds Awesome! :-) although all those CK Flankers have smelled truly Terrible on me… like a watery overly citrusy fruit salad, CKOne and CKBe are both phenomenal fragrances, and hopefuly this will match those in it’s deliciousness!

I really liked CK One back in the day. Hardly remember CK Be! Did not care for In2U. So, we’ll see!

7. AlbertCAN says:

When I first read the news “CK free” sounds like the fragrance is free of any Calvin Klein influence…oh well.