Random perfume snippets

"What are you wearing?" I ask. "You smell so good."

"I do? I'm so pleased," 43-year-old Parker says, eyes wide, smile beaming. "It's my genderless fragrance."

This will be Parker's third perfume when the as-yet unnamed scent hits stores, further proof Sarah Jessica the brand has meshed seamlessly with Sarah Jessica the actor.

— From an interview with Sarah Jessica Parker in The Star. Keep your fingers crossed!

Floris, one of the oldest perfumers in the world, will do one for just £2,500. I made an appointment with Shelagh Foyle, who is what Floris rather grandly calls its “perfumer laureate” (020-7747 3600).

— Lucia van der Post of the UK Times Online looks at "bargain" bespoke fragrance options.

1. Anonymous says:

ok, I'm really curious about this new SJP scent, I like her and I think that if she had her way she'd come up with an interesting one. The real question is how far is Coty willing to go?

2. Anonymous says:

Yep, that is the question!

3. Anonymous says:

Are you reading The Star now, Robin? Ha! Just kidding.

It so bugs me that mainstream media articles make it sound like “genderless” fragrance is a 2008 innovation or something. Ooh, edgy! Genderless!

4. Anonymous says:

Actually, what I think is interesting is that SJP is even seen to have any appeal or pull among the “big target” demographic of 15- to 30-year olds. There's even all this talk about how well the movie might do considering that 35-year-plus women don't translate to box office bonanza. Still, four or five years ago, SATC was all the rage among the college-aged kids I work with, so if those kids are now 25-ish, I don't know what all this speculating about demographics is about.

SJP fragrances are big sellers, right? I think that would lend credence to the idea that she does actually does have “market appeal” among twentysomethings, right?

One last thing: not sure how willing the “average” man will be to wear an SJP scent — even a “genderless” one — unless it's bought for him by a wife or girlfriend.

5. Anonymous says:

This is the *Toronto* Star ;-)

Agree, and hate the word “genderless” anyway. Have never understood what the fragrance companies have against the word “unisex”, but almost none of them will use the term.

6. Anonymous says:

Gosh, everyone on earth seemed to be watching SATC. I hated it, so I know nothing.

And entirely agree on your last point, but then, most fragrances worn by men are apparently purchased by women, right?

7. Anonymous says:

I have turned my husband into a perfumista! He says he is going to come up with a more masculine name for men who are perfumistas. Now, if I can just influence my Dad, who takes pride in wearing a Dollar Store fragrance called Green!

8. Anonymous says:

I called my boss a “perfumisto” but he countered with “Perfumophile”, which I think sounds too perverted.

9. Anonymous says:

Yes, I know but you know that's what sells these day. Something funky and cool to say or do makes a huge statement.

10. Anonymous says:

I think “perfumeo” is used over at Perfume of Life. I don't know why I don't like that term. Agree about Perfumophile — not good!

11. Anonymous says:

I like perfumisto for a man.

12. Anonymous says:

Genderless sounds like 'non-existing' to my ears.

'Unisex' stands for something, for both men and women.

'Genderless' is like nothing at all.

13. Anonymous says:

I DO like perfumeo, it's romantic. How about his official name is Aroma ologist — aromologist or his street name is aromadog!

14. Anonymous says:

I always think it's 'perfumister'!

15. Anonymous says:

Good one Vanillagirl, you get my vote!