Nyakio Safi, Azzaro Cockpit ~ new fragrances

Safi perfume by Nyakio

Nyakio Kamoche of Nyakio has launched Safi, a new fragrance for women:

When Safi arrived at our doorstep we couldn't wait to see what magic Nyakio Kamoche would formulate for her debut fragrance. We were not disappointed with this fruity-floral parfum whose spring arrival could not be better timed.

The notes feature fresh lychee, pineapple, black currant, stargazer lily, freesia, neroli, muhuhu wood, bamboo, crisp papyrus and vetiver.

Safi is available in 50 ml Eau de Parfum or 8.5 ml Parfum Oil, and can be found now at Luckyscent.

Azzaro has launched Cockpit, “a vibrant, fruity and sensual fragrance” for men. Like its predecessor, Jetlag, it is available only in duty free stores. Cockpit was developed by perfumer Fabrice Pellegrin, and the notes include grapefruit, Nashi pear, yuzu, pepper, anise, geranium, tonka bean, jasmine, woods and tolu balm.

Azzaro Cockpit is available in 75 ml Eau de Toilette. (quote via moodiereport, additional information via osmoz, aeroportsdeparis.fr)

1. Anonymous says:

still find the notes a bit unexciting, but I like the bottle, simple but elegant

2. Anonymous says:

The packaging is great. I need to google “muhuhu” wood.

3. Anonymous says:

The bottle on the left looks just just like a Chanel bottle and the bottle on the right like one of Yohji Yamamoto.

About the juice: I'm not interested.

4. Anonymous says:

I am laughing so hard about the name Cockpit.

Also, muhuhu wood is fun to say.

5. Anonymous says:

Those Azzaro names are so bad, they surely must be ironic? 'I smell of…Jetlag' is too much even for the Prix Eau Faux!

6. Anonymous says:

I agree on both counts; moreover, “muhuhu” is rather too close to “mwahaha” (representation of an evil laugh). Oh dear.

7. Anonymous says:

Jetlag was supposed to be the antidote to jet lag, but it is funny!!

8. Anonymous says:

Oh, I like the bottles better than you do :-)

9. Anonymous says:

It is fun to say!

10. Anonymous says:

LOL!

11. Anonymous says:

I actuallt prefer some of the notes in the female fragrance to the mens (love lychee, especially in a cocktail, and bamboo + vetiver would be interesting). But I'm not sure about any men's fragrance named 'Cockpit'. What's next, “Eau de Boy Bits”?

Actually, the move to a fragrance that's sold only in duty-free stores is an interesting one. Seems a somewhat 'downmarket' way to push for an air of exclusivity?

12. Anonymous says:

I don't know if they are Ironic… It sounds to me like the direct translation of something… like 6 power suits in Beijing got into a brainstorming session for the fragrance name, and after selecting “cockpit” in Mandarin (because it is a part of the plane, the part where you CONTROL the plane, and then they wax poetically about the fragrance empowering you to “drive” your own life..etc,etc), they run the translation thru Altavista's Babelfish…. I mean just clicking “Mandarin To English,Click to Translate” and that's it! ;-)

13. Anonymous says:

There are lots of duty-free exclusives, and I think it is a way to sell w/o spending a ton on advertising, also often a way to “test market” new fragrances before bothering w/ widespread distribution.

14. Anonymous says:

LOL!

15. Anonymous says:

The bottle reminds me of the EDP Chanel No. 5

16. Anonymous says:

I agree that those Nyakio bottles are nice. Maybe it's a “well done” fruity-floral? “Nyakio” first sounded Japanese to me — interesting that there's actually an African connection, which I like. I've never heard of muhuhu wood though… however, today I do happen to be wearing Susanne Lang's Tamboti Wood, which is also an African wood.

I can't believe there was really a fragrance called “Jetlag.” I don't mind “Cockpit” though… these might be great for a friend of mine who's an aeronautical engineer. Actually, this is one of the few “fruity” scents for men I've seen recently — I don't mind the idea of that. I love grapefruit and yuzu. As overdone as the fruity thing is in women's product, men seem to only get citrus, including the bergamot that appears in everything. Pear and jasmine…. I'm getting a craving. But duty-free only?

17. Anonymous says:

True on the men's citrus — there is a standard generic men's scent (citrus-woods-pale amber) as much as a standard generic women's (sweet fruits + vague flowers). I think the Azzaros are not only duty-free only, but only in one duty free chain. Aelia, maybe?

18. Anonymous says:

I tried the Safi, as I actually am one of three people who like lychee and pineapple. Love Pineapple Fizz for example. But it's another lychee disappointment. It's the equivalent of the “strawberry” one gets in Jell-O or bad popsicles–the blotter version. I read a study where the same “strawberry” flavor was given to people, but in different color Jell-O, and only those with red Jell-O could identify it. That's what happened to lychee and I'm so sad. It is a lovely, perfumey taste that could be soooo good.

19. Anonymous says:

Hey, I love Ananas Fizz too!

So believe that about the jello, and sorry to hear that about the Safi :-(

20. Anonymous says:

I have to mention that I got a sample of Safi the other day and I genuinely enjoy it, even though I'm not exactly a 'fruity-floral' guy most of the time. It has overtones of generic ff, but I think the materials are well done and I enjoy the drydown a lot. I haven't explored a lot of the ff genre, but I was impressed. It's worth a try.

21. Anonymous says:

Lychee & pineapple — ack, not for me! But glad to hear it was nicely done.