Thierry Mugler Alien Eau Luminescente ~ new perfume

Thierry Mugler Alien Eau Luminescente fragranceThierry Mugler has launched Alien Eau Luminescente, a new limited edition flanker to 2005's Alien fragrance. The original Alien was inspired by amethyst, Alien Eau Luminescente was inspired by topaz.

Alien Eau Luminescente is described as a "fresh, floral amber scent". It was developed by perfumer Dominique Ropion (who also worked on the original Alien perfume) and features notes of mandarin, tiaré flower (gardenia) and white amber.

Alien Eau Luminescente is available now on the French Thierry Mugler online boutique, in 60 ml Eau de Toilette, and is expected to go into wider distribution in late March/early April. (quote via cosmeticnews, additional information via joyce.fr, beautynewsla)

Other 2008 launches from Thierry Mugler: A*Men Pure Coffee, Innocent Rock.

1. Anonymous says:

My daughter loves Alien, so I managed – miracle of miracles – to cadge a sample of the Eau Luminescent in Harrods (first time ever). The SA said that, although it starts off bright, it dries down exactly like standard Alien. Couldn't judge whether this was so, but thought I'd pass it one for any Alien fans.

2. Anonymous says:

Wow, congrats on getting a free sample out of Harrods!!

3. Anonymous says:

Reading this post made me realize exactly how sick and tired of perfume makers taking their hit perfumes and reinventing them for the upteenth million time- Eau fraiche this, Eau de Printemps that, Eau de Minuit, Eau d'été, now we are forced to have Eau Luminescente? Give me a break. They need to stop slightly tweaking all of their old perfume scents and try something new for a change.

4. Anonymous says:

Hear, hear! As always nowadays, fragrance companies spend a bundle on a launch, and then when people have bought the new perfume and become hooked, they put out a flanker. I think part of the reason is that it's human nature to always want something new, so companies rely on an established market to further their sales with a slightly different version of the original.

5. Anonymous says:

i don't know why, but i've always felt weird about having a flanker but not the original. i guess it makes me feel like i'm reading the sequel first (or only). on the other hand, i've always really liked the alien bottle but i never really got into the frag (i get something verging on children's grape tylenol out of it) and the bottle in orange is fairly adorable. i will definitely give this a try when i see it.

6. Anonymous says:

I'm looking forward to this because I'm a HUGE Alien fan. But I definitely echo the “stop with the bloody flankers!” sentiment. Can't wait for this to hit the stores in New York.

7. Anonymous says:

I guess I am being a little harsh- I certainly enjoy some versions, such as Cacharel and the Amor, Amor Eau Fraiche, Amor Nouvelle Eau Fraiche, Amor Sunshine, etc. but sometimes the other versions are so different they might as well be called something else entirely, and sometimes I can barely tell the difference, such as Miss Dior Cherie and Miss Dior Cherie Eau de Printemps. I no longer feel the need to buy newer versions of perfumes I love if I don't love them, and I will buy updates that I love even if I didn't like the first one (Lolita Lempika Eau de Minuit, I am looking at you.)

There just needs to be a balance or a rule such as “each original perfume shalt not have more than two variations”.

8. Anonymous says:

I'll definitely try it too. I like the smell of grape tylenol, but really love the smell of orange Flinstones Vitamins.

9. Anonymous says:

Wow, can't wait to see this one come in. I'm just now learning about Alien; will have to learn about both.

10. Anonymous says:

I think it's become too expensive to do too many “really” new scents. Flankers are the cheap way to get some extra mileage out of an already known scent.

11. Anonymous says:

All of that is true!

12. Anonymous says:

I didn't like the original either — will certainly give this one a shot.

13. Anonymous says:

LOL!

14. Anonymous says:

I guess we can say that at least they didn't do a “new Alien” every year.

15. Anonymous says:

Hey, I like that rule! I do get most tired of those yearly flankers where you can't really tell if it's changed from the year before or if they've just redesigned the bottle.

16. Anonymous says:

LOVE the bottle, do not like white flowers, but I love Amber. Does two out of three work in this case?
    (probably not) I also loved the original Alien bottle. (could not take the fragrance though, even though it had this Poison undertone to it, but it did not work for me.) Did I mention that I love the bottles?

17. Anonymous says:

I really like the original Alien, although not so charmed by the bottle. Vanillagirl you inspired me and have immediately asked for a sample of this one by email ;-) I 'm all into samples lately and who knows that someday I will go for decants..;D

18. Anonymous says:

Kim — sounds like you need the new bottle even if you don't love the scent :-)

19. Anonymous says:

I hear there's an additional flanker scent only available on the black market…..Illegal Alien.

You may all groan now. lol ;-)

20. Anonymous says:

HA — good one :-)

21. Anonymous says:

Imagine if they did that? I bet it would be a hit if it was real stuff but only sold at dark allies and black markets. People might really want it. Something new.

22. Anonymous says:

Aye yi yi…………..not another amber scent! Gah! I can't even get through my bottles of Prada and Amber Nude. I'll pass. Too close to summer for me

23. Anonymous says:

Someday there will be a green Alien, watch my words.

24. Anonymous says:

Alien wasn't a very deep amber, more like “amber-y”. But you may not need it anyway :-)

25. Anonymous says:

Could be :-)

26. Anonymous says:

I have never done that, but I can always make room for another gorgeous bottle!

27. Anonymous says:

I am obsessed with this new fragrance . . . it starts out with a sparkling brightness and dries down to smooth and mysterious. It isn't too strong, either. Mugler has started adding fragrance sheets with his new boxes of perfume and I carry it with me everywhere. The bottle is just gorgeous too. I love my Angel fragrances. . .

28. Anonymous says:

Glad you love it! I am terrible, I still haven't tried it…but eventually I will!

29. Anonymous says:

Two of my sisters (non perfumistas) fell in love with Alien Eau Luminescente when I gave them a bag of gratis and samples. It figures they would like the only one of many that I can't get as gratis… they're going to have to pay for this one. :)

Is it just me… the alien bottles (both) reminds me of -ahem- anatomy. I can't look at the bottles without blushing.

30. Anonymous says:

They remind me of penguins, because somebody said that is what they looked like way back when I first posted about Alien. And I'll stick with penguins, LOL….

31. Anonymous says:

Scarab beatles!

32. Anonymous says:

That would work too…

33. Anonymous says:

I love this fragrance too :D

34. Anonymous says:

I like this. It's very… orange. Pleasant and more easily wearable, so to speak, than Alien.

35. Anonymous says:

I looked for it last time I went to the mall, but must have missed it. It will disappear before I manage to try it, at this rate.