6th Annual Basenotes Awards

Basenotes Awards logo

Basenotes has announced the winners of the 6th Annual Basenotes Awards. The winners were chosen by the members of the fragrance forums, and you can see the full list of nominees here. And the winners are...

Best Fragrance
Women: Guerlain Shalimar
Men: Thierry Mugler A*Men

Best New Fragrance
Women: Hermès Jardin Sur Le Nil
Men: Dior Homme

There are lots of other categories; see the full list here.

1. Anonymous says:

Hmm, sounds like our old buddy MCL stuffed the ballot box ;D. Some very surprising choices there. Wonder why on earth Shalimar as the best women's fragrance? I'd be interested to know what their first five winners in this category were.

2. Anonymous says:

Creed is the 'best' fragrance house?? OK then – interesting choices for sure – a blend of classics and niche fragrances sprinkled with a nice dose of Angel. Most disappointing – no surprises. Nice nominees but like the Academy Awards – predictable winners. Nice article – thanks!

3. Anonymous says:

LOL!

Last year it was Chanel no. 5, and since that was the first year women's fragrances were included, that is all you're gonna get.

4. Anonymous says:

Hey, I actually watched the Oscars last night, which I usually don't. It was all a surprise to me since I haven't seen a single one of the movies except Constant Gardener.

I was disappointed that L'Homme Sage didn't win best new men's, but would guess that most of the voters never had the chance to smell it.

5. Anonymous says:

Angel for men as best Men's Fragrance.

Who's crying with me?

6. Anonymous says:

I'm not weeping at all, primarily because I've never even smelled the stuff. Isn't that terrible? I just figure I've paid my dues by having to smell the women's everywhere.

7. Anonymous says:

Creed for Best Fragrance House?

CREED?!?!?!

CREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED??!?!?!?!?!?!?

8. Anonymous says:

Frankly, I am very surprised at this list. Seems like it's lacking in imagination. As for Creed being the best perfume house, weird. I have tried a few of their fragrances – haven't been wowed by any of them. So that is very surprising to say the least. Let's just say my list would be so so so different.

9. Anonymous says:

Creed has always been very popular at basenotes, which bear in mind is populated by far more men than women. They don't do so well on the MUA Top 20 polls.

10. Anonymous says:

Mine too, but I didn't think either of the top “new fragrances” were dull scents.

11. Anonymous says:

Yes Creed! I would have chosen them too without hesitation. I have been a fan of Creed for many years and I have never been dissapointed. It seems to me that they out-do themselves every year! The award is much deserved!

12. Anonymous says:

Not surprising because Creed IS the best fragrance house. I wouuld be more more surprised if they did'nt win. But really I feel that I am the winner becuase of the way my girlfreind swoons when I surprise her with a gift of anything from Creed. I only worry that she will love the perfume more than she loves me! Creed gets my vote without hesitation!

13. Anonymous says:

Thanks for this article, R, and thanks to LaureAnne for the best laugh of the week!

Creed?

14. Anonymous says:

Hey P, that LaureAnne is always funny :-)

15. Anonymous says:

Thanks for presenting the opposing view. They are not my favorite but everyone has different tastes.

16. Anonymous says:

Hmmmm. . . very different from the MUA choices, for sure! Although I love Angelique Encens, I think the Creed choice is the clear result of a mostly male population voting. And I wonder if the Shalimar pick could then really be for the “most FAMOUS women's perfume” (Chanel No. 5's previous win would tend to confirm this)

17. Anonymous says:

J, Angeliques Encens made the top 20 at MUA, didn't it? It is a great scent. Will have to go peek and see if Shalimar is on the MUA list too…

18. Anonymous says:

Yes it did, tied (they are all ties) for #14; so did FdTRB (15). But Creed itself only came out 6th favorite house (of course this wasn't a separate question, but just tabulated from the votes). Shalimar was 12, the third favorite Guerlain, after Mitsouko and Vol de Nuit, and Shalimar Light was in there too, a little further down. As with many here, the MUA poll more reflects my feelings, even if I can't wear POTL:) (I voted in both)

19. Anonymous says:

J, thanks for posting that. Interesting that POTL is always number 1…and rather doubt, somehow, that it corresponds to its actual sales.