Iris fragrances: a few more to consider

With apologies to those who hate iris and so have been bored stiff by the iris-fest this week, here are a few more iris fragrances worth considering:

Frederic Malle Iris Poudre: Created by Pierre Bourdon, and featuring notes of bergamot, rosewood, ylang ylang, carnation, magnolia, jasmine, lily of the valley, violet, rose, aldehydes, iris, musk, amber, vanilla, sandalwood, and ebony. Iris Poudre starts as a sweet, velvety, and very lady-like floral blend; as it dries down, it takes on darker, more interesting undertones. It is powdery but not overwhelmingly so.

It is a beautiful fragrance, very elegant and grown-up and sophisticated, and just miles away from the earthy, outdoorsy iris scents featured here earlier this week. I tried Iris Poudre briefly last year, and it struck me as so ill-suited to my personality that I felt almost like an imposter wearing it. I have been meaning to give it another try and hopefully will manage that soon.

Côté Bastide Iris: This is a summery Eau de Toilette splash. It starts as a light, fresh floral with citrus top notes, and dries down to a soft floral blend with a subdued iris note. Like many from this line, it is better appreciated as a refreshing pick-me-up than anything else, as it is neither complex nor long lasting. $72 for 500 ml at beautyhabit.

Dior Homme, which Marlen reviewed last week, is nicely done, but like Marlen I found it a bit too sweet for my taste. It is worth trying, especially if you like a dash of cocoa in your fragrance. I did not find it at all too masculine to wear.

Also check out Acqua di Parma Iris Nobile and Miller Harris Terre d'Iris.

Did I miss something wonderful? Please comment.

Note: the lovely illustration is courtesy of Laura from Laurelines.

1. Anonymous says:

I enjoyed the Iris Week so much, R.! I know what you mean about Iris Poudre, I felt like an impostor myself, I don't know why, it should have suited me rather well I thought…oh well, there are many Malle's I do like, which like me in return :-) What is your favorite from the line?

2. Anonymous says:

Iris Poudre is one of those scents that I love the idea OF. I'd really like to be the kind of woman this perfume 'fitted'. But, like you R, I feel like an imposter wearing it. It sits on me like a designer outfit that needs someone taller and thinner to carry it off! But for the right woman, it's signature scent material.

3. Anonymous says:

I cannot be bored by iris! It is one of my favourite notes. I love Iris Poudre, because it has richness and powderiness that marks my beloved classical compositions. For me, it conjures a feeling of touching an iris petal.

I now need to try CB Iris, although I can almost imagine what it is like.

4. Anonymous says:

Hi! As a newcomer who's been lurking for a bit, I wanted to say that I really enjoy your blog in general–and I've enjoyed iris week in particular, partially becuase I haven't tried many of these fragrances. Your wonderful review moved me to try a sample of Bois d'Iris that I hadn't gotten to yet–and I loved it, even without spraying (must get more atomizers–but it lasted well on me even dabbed, unlike Divine Bergamote, which I absolutely must spray). Now, to catch up on the others you described: I generally really like SL and FM but I haven't tried the iris in either (oh dear, poor CC). Thanks again!

5. Anonymous says:

Love iris too – so I can never be bored. Besides your reviews are always great to read – even perfumes i dislike! ;)

Iris Poudre is great – possibly my fav from Chez Malle.

CB Iris is OK – I like the shower mousse – which they have now discontinued. :(

Dior Homme is pleasant – not buying it.

The others are good too.

I really love Bois d'Argent by Dior and may splurge one day – when my ship comes in with pots of money.

Have a wonderful weekend.

xoxo

6. Anonymous says:

Did Laureanne paint that? It is absolutely beautiful!

No, I never get bored with iris, or with anything that you review for that matter. :)

Love and hugs!

7. Anonymous says:

M, Parfum de Therese is my favorite. It is just a brilliant composition. But it isn't an everyday kind of fragrance so I probably reach for En Passant & Eau d'Hiver more often.

8. Anonymous says:

Yes, I would have to be taller, thinner, and have much better clothes & accessories than I do!

9. Anonymous says:

V, you probably know — is this much, much cheaper in France? It comes in a vat-sized bottle but to my mind is still overpriced for what it is.

10. Anonymous says:

Hello & welcome! So glad you like Bois d'Iris. Have you tried Hiris yet? It is the easiest of all these to get your hands on.

11. Anonymous says:

Thank you N! I do hope that same ship visits me soon too, LOL — and then we will buy the whole Dior trio :-)

12. Anonymous says:

Oops…I meant the CB.

13. Anonymous says:

Yes, isn't it gorgeous? Hugs, and have a great weekend R!!

14. Anonymous says:

Thanks for all the delightful iris reviews, R. I'd like to add a good word for Santa Maria Novella Iris, a lovely scent that I've been wearing a lot lately. Have you smelled this one?

15. Anonymous says:

LOL – let us keep praying for that ship! ;)

xoxo

16. Anonymous says:

I have loved iris week. I've learned a lot, as I do each time I come here. My opinions: CB Iris is a lovely summer splash-on in this hot part of the world. It has quite a bit of citrus in it. Miller Harris Terre d'Hiris is really pretty. I almost bought it and yet I didn't because I'm not a wholehearted iris fan. I had high hopes for Iris Nobile, but the drydown was soapy and headache-inducing. Asfour is what I'd hoped Iris Nobile would be. I need to retry Iris Poudre since I've experienced an extensive personality modification as far as perfumes go of late ;D. I still don't like scents that scream powder, though a bit of powder is great.

I'm glad both Robins like my little iris illustrations 'D.

17. Anonymous says:

Hi R – PBI – yes CBs must be more affordable here in France.

Most distributors make a killing. Look at IdPF.

18. Anonymous says:

oops IPdF! :)

19. Anonymous says:

N, I tried it very briefly but my memory is so bad — does it smell heavily of violet? I remember it as a very powdery violet (??)

20. Anonymous says:

L, Drat, I can't believe I forgot to mention the As4, which as you know, I love. Thank you again for the lovely irises :-)

21. Anonymous says:

R, Thanks for all these brilliant iris-fragrance-reviews :) As you already know I can´t decide what to think of FM Iris Poudré, I think it´s best to make a break & try it after a few weeks again. At the moment it just doesn´t suit my mood ;)

I do like Miller Harris Terre d´Iris, it´s probably one my favourite iris fragrance, but I´m not sure if I need to own it. In my opinion it´s more of a summer fragrance so it can wait until next year!

Do you know if As4 is already available?

22. Anonymous says:

Yay! Mine too, love it, but agree, it is not for everyday. Another one that worked for me was Musc Ravageur, again, not everyday. And next summer I am definitely getting Bigarade Concentree.

23. Anonymous says:

Yes, it is definitely less expensive, although the exchange rate offsets the favourable difference a bit.

24. Anonymous says:

Per the Colette newsletter, the As4 (all 300 bottles, that is) goes on sale September 26.

25. Anonymous says:

Haven't tried it yet, but your review made me want to, so I will soon. . .

26. Anonymous says:

I think you remember it quite well — it is indeed violety and softly powdery (though not a powder avalanche like Teint de Neige).

27. Anonymous says:

Can't get enough of iris myself, so am glad you've been covering it. Also wanted to say that Laura's iris painting is just stunning. *Gorgeously* captures their luminosity.

28. Anonymous says:

Glad to know I have a few brain cells left :-)

29. Anonymous says:

Her work is amazing!

30. Anonymous says:

Thank you, Ivanova ;D.

31. Anonymous says:

Hey, that is a perfect timing! :)

32. Anonymous says:

Somebody's having a birthday ;D.

33. Anonymous says:

Yes it is, they ought to send you a free bottle!

34. Anonymous says:

I've been lovin' Iris Week. The flowers have always had a special place in my garden but I was unfamiliar with all of the juices mentioned, except Iris Nobile. Now I am the proud owner of Hiris…dances around happily.

I'm off to hunt down decant of the other iris perfumes mentioned here.

Gee…I love this blog!

Laura's paintings are sooooo beautiful. Thank you!

35. Anonymous says:

So glad Hiris has found another fan, it is such a special fragrance. It is one of few that would literally bring me to tears if they ever discontinued it. And so glad you like the blog :-)

36. Anonymous says:

And I'm so glad you like the paintings! (I love Hiris, too.)

37. Anonymous says:

Robin West, I thought I'd thanked you for that comment re my painting but it must have gotten lost in cyberspace, so thank you now! Hope you are dandy and I'm sure you are ;D

xoxo,

L

38. Anonymous says:

Hi R! I love the new look of your blog. It is soothing and lovely!

xoxo

39. Anonymous says:

Thanks N!

40. Anonymous says:

My two favorite iris fragrances must be HERMES HIRIS and PRADA IRIS. The latter, one of the four parfums by Prada, sold only at the boutiques, is a subtle masterpiece of iris beurre and root, with merely a whisper of sweetness in the top notes. Similar to Hermes, but seemlessly blended and not quite as doughy, because it is a parfum, it lasts forever. I had the opportunity to test this while in Ginza this past winter and am looking forward to visiting the boutique and testing it again when I return in January.

41. Anonymous says:

M, I wish I could have snagged a sample of the Prada Iris, I tried it very briefly at the Prada boutique in NY and didn't think it was worth the cost, but I always do better trying something at home. You cannot imagine how uninterested in the scents they are at Prada…once when I was there, they were hidden among some clothing items and the SAs knew nothing about them. On a later visit, I didn't see them at all, and asked an SA who brought the testers out of a storage closet!

42. Anonymous says:

Oh my gosh, Robin! In Tokyo they are all over the store and the SA's are very knowledgable…Hmmmm….Maybe we should go to the NYC boutique and convinve the SA's that the scents have been discontinued and are being sold at 50% off in other stores! LOL!

43. Anonymous says:

M, the second time I went, when the SA went to get them out of the closet (!) I asked how much they were, and he said “I think they are around $50″…ha, sure. Unfortunately he checked on the price before I had a chance to snap up several bottles of each.